777kicksass
Topic Author

New York Post 9/11

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:21 am

What is the situation at the WTC site? Is the surrounding area blocked off or running back to normal?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but you don't see it on the news in England and I am just curious as to how its doing.

Thanks, Max

psa188

Lower Manhattan Status

Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:02 am

It'll never be "normal" but lower Manhattan is open for business and the "frozen zone" continues to shrink. Century 21, a popular store just across Church Street from the WTC site just opened this week, which was a major news story here.

As for what to do with the WTC site, debate rages. I agree with these folks:
http://www.rjdbiz.com/rebuildwtc/

Latest update from NYCDOT on getting around lower Manhattan:
http://nyc.gov/html/dot/html/get_around/emergencyinfo.html

mika

RE: New York Post 9/11

Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:26 am

I agree with you Psa188, the twintowers should be rebuilt. Exactly like they were.

prosa

Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:23 am

It'll never be "normal" but lower Manhattan is open for business and the "frozen zone" continues to shrink. Century 21, a popular store just across Church Street from the WTC site just opened this week, which was a major news story here.

Another big step toward bringing things back to normal will come once West Street reopens. A plan to do just that, which also will facilitate use of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel, was announced last week. I don't remember exactly when the reopening is planned, but it's probably only a few months at most.
Resumption of service on the 1/9 subway line is scheduled for November. That will make transit access to lower Manhattan easier, and will be of special benefit to commuters using the Staten Island Ferry, although the stop at the WTC site (Cortlandt Street) won't reopen until there's some sort of reconstruction plan in place for the entire site. Finally, what might be the biggest step of all toward bringing things back to normal, the resumption of PATH train service to New Jersey, is anticipated sometime in the second half of 2003.

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

SafetyDude

Sun Mar 03, 2002 10:31 am

http://www.nonesovile.com/wtc/

Those shots look NOTHING like it does in real life...
When I went downtown to see a friend, I stopped by Ground Zero and it is VERY freaky to see it at night...

Such a shame, all gone in one hour  Crying

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

psa188

Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:10 am

Glad you agree, Mike. It'll be a long fight, however. The "mega-ME-memorial" crowd does not want anything built on the entire 16-acre site.

16 acres is about 3 times the size of the viet vet memorial in DC, which commerates 55,000 dead.

If you're so inclined, please write letters to the major NY newspapers in support of rebuilding. The RTT site that I quoted above has suggestions for contacting elected officials as well.