7 Bombing Victims In One Family: Inferno In Israel

Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:47 pm

Seven bombing victims in one family buried
By Etgar Lefkovits

RISHON LEZION (March 4) - One by one, seven members of the same family killed Saturday night in a suicide bombing in the Jerusalem's Beit Yisrael neighborhood were laid to rest yesterday afternoon in Rishon Lezion. Mothers and infants, brothers and sisters, children and toddlers. A grandmother walking from her daughter's newly dug grave to those of her grandchildren.

First came the burials of five members of the Nehmad family from Rishon Lezion, who had come to Jerusalem for a bar mitzva celebration: Shlomo, 40; his wife, Gafnit, 32; and their daughters Shiraz, seven, and Liran, three. The couple's 15-year-old nephew, Shauli Nehmad, who was killed when he went out to bring his family some sacramental wine for the after-Shabbat prayers, was laid to rest minutes later. His brother is in very serious condition in the hospital.

Next came the funerals of the two children of Shlomo's sister, Ronit: Lidor Ilan, 12, and his 18-month-old sister, Oriah. Clutching the pillow that his son last laid his head on, Shimon Ilan sobbed, "I saw him there lying on the ground covered in blood. I cried out, 'My son, don't die, don't die.' "

The couple have one remaining child, Noi, eight, who is recovering from her wounds in the hospital.

Gafnit Nehmad, a worker at the Rishon Lezion Municipality, had had misgivings about coming to Jerusalem, but went anyway to please her family, her boss, David Rahamim, recounted yesterday. Describing her as a woman with an "eternal smile," Rahamim said that when he heard about the attack he immediately called her cellphone, but there was no answer. "I knew in my heart that something terrible had happened," he said.

A neighbor of the family identified only as Leah told Israel Radio that she remembers the couple's two girls waving good-bye and sending her kisses before making the trip to Jerusalem.

"I do not think it is possible to get up from such pain as this," Ilan Etz-Haim, a family member, said of the immense loss.

The seven members of the Nehmad family who perished in Saturday night's bombing were the most members of one family killed in a terror attack since five members of the Schijveschuurder family were killed last August in a suicide bombing at Jerusalem's Sbarro pizzeria.

The two other victims of Saturday night's attack, Tzofia Ya'arit Eliahu, 23, and her seven-month-old son, Ya'acov Avraham Eliahu, from Jerusalem's Beit Yisrael neighborhood, were laid to rest in Moshav Noam, south of Kiryat Gat. The young mother, who was newly religious and had moved to Jerusalem in search of a more spiritual life together with her husband (who was not wounded in the attack), was on her way home down the block from the site of the attack when the bomber set off his explosives.

Her sister, Levana, who was with her, lost sight of Eliahu and the baby. "In a split second they were gone," she said. Eliahu's father-in-law, Nori, said mother and daughter were found dead amid the rubble in each others arms.

Twenty-four hours after the attack, six people remained in serious condition yesterday at Jerusalem's two Hadassah-University Hospitals, including an unconscious seven-year-old boy suffering from second-degree burns, and a 12-year-old boy suffering from severe shrapnel wounds.

ARAFAT's "al-aqsa martyrs" has taken responsability for this barbaric suicide terror attack.

cfalk

RE: 7 Bombing Victims In One Family: Inferno In Israel

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:02 pm

I think it's safe to say that Sharon's policies of using brute force on the Palestinians have not improved things at all. He promised peace and there is daily war. He promised security for Israelis, and they now feel more insecure then ever before.

Throw the bum out. Only then can you isolate the Palestinian terrorists, who together with Sharon, form an "axis of evil" of their own. Neither one wants peace, and so far, things have been going their way. Let the moderates on both sides come back into the picture.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:41 pm

When Rabin, Peres or Barak were PM, the victims of innumerable terror attacks were called "victims of peace"...
Now that Sharon is in power, they are "victims of Sharon's policies"; how easy to be a so-called "analyst"!

But for sure, they'd never be the "victims of blind Palestinian terrorism".

"I think it's safe to say that Sharon's policies of using brute force on the Palestinians"

- it seems you don't know what "brute force" does mean...Brute force was used in the ME, more than once...For instance in 1970 by King Hussein of Jordan against...Arafat's PLO. 5000 to 20000 died...
Or in 1982 by Syria's Assad, when he razed to the ground a whole city in order to crack down an Islamist revolt; 20000 or more were killed.

And "I think it's safe to say that Arafat's policies of using brute terror on the Israelis have not improved things at all. He promised peace and has been organizing daily war. He promised security for Israelis (in 1993 already...), and they're since then feeling more insecure then ever before."

When Arafat declares that he "wants to become a martyr for Jerusalem", he is improving things, no doubt;

When Arafat declares it's worth "sacrificing" 70 Palestinians in order to have one Israeli killed, he is improving things, no doubt;

When a moderate Palestinian politician explains that "the Palestinians' strategic goal has remained the liberation of Palestine from the River to the Sea", he's also (been) improving things, clearly.

And when thousands of Palestinians are chanting in the streets because Israeli children and babies were assassinated, they're improving things, too.

cfalk

Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:53 pm

I did not say I condone the terrorism. I believe that the Palestinians are their own worst enemy. Their "eye-for-eye, tooth-for-tooth" and lack of respect for the rule of law is one of the main obsticles for peace - to the point that even if Israel withdrew to its '67 borders and granted Palestinian statehood, and the Palestinian government called for a halt to all violence, some Palestinian schmuck will say "Israel killed my 3rd nephew twice removed, and I must avenge him." Not to mention the hardliners who insist on the "River to sea" arguement. The Palestinians are by no means saints.

But that does not mean that Israel is not utterly STUPID to insist on putting settlements in the West Bank and Gaza - a big sticking point in the whole process and one of the main sources of provocation. It's like setting up a whites-only luxury condo in the middle of Harlem or East L.A. - just begging for trouble. Israel can reclaim the moral high-ground if they abandon this idiotic policy.

Stupidity is contagious, and both sides have it in spades.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

EmiratesLover

Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:46 pm

This is a horrible, horrible tragedy.

God bless the innocent victims of this outrage.And may He also have mercy of the Palestinians who are going to be killed and maimed as a result of the revenge attacks that Sharon's thugs are almost certainly going to carry out to avenge this crime.

Sonic

Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:09 pm

To talk about things like that, you have to drop all the propaganda you've heard.

1.Sharon policy on Palestine is of course really bad. He kills innocent people and he is a terrorist. However, he wants not to take Israel, the country he was elected to rule, apart. And he wants to show people (Jews) that he could do retals on the Palestinian attacks, that the Israel is not total inactive.

2.Terrorists of Palestine are bad because they are killing people, but that is the only way they could fight for independence because under Jewish regime only terrorims could create at least some resonanse in the world.

3.Every politic, who is elected by people or supported by people, does what people wants. So, terrorists does what Palestinian wants and Sharon does what Jews wants (Not saying that every Palestinian likes terrorism and every Jew likes Sharon).

4.An example from old American slavery -- when asked, most slaves didn't said they wanted to be free and to remove slavery. They wanted to become slavemasters and enslave their current masters instead. Almost the same with Palestinians of course. When people see only cruelity, they also wants to act cruel.

5.When countries (with more than one nation) allows to declare independence for one nation, others also wants that. I believe if Spain would allow Baskians go independent, Canarian and Catalonian would also want that. Don't know if the same would happen in Israel, but it might be so.

6.Make your own conclusions.

Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:44 pm

...to drop all the propaganda you've heard

...because under Jewish regime only terrorims could create at least some resonanse in the world.

Highly spiritual, and totally free of any kind of propaganda-related bias...

OO-AOG

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:00 am

The answer was quick

BBC 04MARCH:

Six Palestinians have been killed in what appears to have been a failed Israeli assassination attempt against a suspected Hamas militant.
Witnesses in the West Bank town of Ramallah say a car belonging to Hussein Abu Kweik was hit by Israeli tank shells.
He was not travelling in the car, but his wife and two children were.
An Israeli army official has apologised for the attack.
The incident follows the storming by Israeli tanks and troops of two Palestinian refugee camps in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
It brings to at least 14 the number of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces on Monday.
Hussein Abu Kweik's wife, sister-in-law and two children were killed in an attack which completely destroyed their car.
A second car travelling nearby was also hit, reportedly leaving another two teenagers dead.
There is no doubt that we must punish them and punish them hard
Israeli Justice Minister Meir Shetreet
The attack on the car comes at the same time as heavy fighting in a West Bank refugee camp near the town of Jenin.
Palestinian hospital officials in Jenin say a 60-year-old doctor was killed when an Israeli tank fired on the ambulance he was in.

Falcon....like a limo but with wings

Sonic

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:22 am

Toda,Reisinger , yeah, I do support Palestine. I said that dropping all propaganda is the best choice, however, I am not saying I am ideal.

The main reason why people are such supporting their own side ussually is because when they see the evilness of the other side, they things that all the evil of their side is good, because it is done to counteract bigger evil.

This is why Americans supports attacks on many countries and this is why people of these countries supports terrorism. Their views are the same, just the side they choose to be "the evil one" is not.

To understand evilness of both sides, you ussually have to be totally ignorant and both sides have to have no meaning to you. Like, let's say, when we are talking abou Ancient empires, we are not ussually saying who was evil and who was not. Ceasar done many 'evil' things, so does his enemies, yet we don't start discutions for or against Ceasar. Primary because now Ceasar is not important.

I think of dropping all propaganda as "ideal", but it is hard to do so. Ussually, when I am starting to defend something, I later start to defend things I really don't support. Let's say there was one discution where someone said that Hitler was gay. I asked confirmation and started to defend that he was not gay. However, discution got so big I started to defend holocaust, concentration camps (things I do not support).

It is so that to insultings we ussually react with more insultings (this is the reason of so much flame wars not only in this site, but also in almost all internet and real life). Instead, we should analyse everything and only then discuss. Remember, it were one man's clever words what made myself anti-American, and not hundreds of insultings for USA. Insultings with made-up facts only makes you defend the other opinion.

So, let this be a recommendation to all the people, who causes flame wars here. Don't think you are an ideal because there are no ideals.

gaut

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:32 am

I don't I understand how a people which have so much suffer can make suffer another when they have the power.
Yes the Jews are entitled to their country but Palestinian also.Today their countries are occupied and people are parked in refugee camps. I understand their anger. I don't condone that kind of terrorism against civilians but when they attack the Israelian Army it is not terrorism , it is resistance against the occupying forces.
Once again the religion involves violence.

RESPECT UNDERSTANDING PEACE AND LOVE  Smokin cool

Gaut

«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

tbar220

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:48 am

Gaut, too bad the Palestinians don't understand what peace and love is all about.

Especially when you have a country run by Hamas, Hizbollah, Islamic Jihad, Fatah, Al Aqsa Brigade, Popular Front, Palestinian Police, Force 17, and Yassir Arafat.

Are these groups who you want as partner for peace?
NO URLS in signature

EmiratesLover

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:03 pm

``Are these groups who you want as partner for peace? '' A supporter of Israel once asked me ` do you think that Arafat wants peace' - and I shot back - define peace. Well, here comes the simple brutal reality - it ias ludicrous to speak of peace between an occupier and an occupied.Perhaps if there were no occupation, it would be possible to speak of peace, but to speak of peace while millions are under an illegitimate apartheid style occupation is stupid. ``Gaut, too bad the Palestinians don't understand what peace and love is all about. '' Perhaps if they had been treated like human beings with rights and lives just like anyone else they would have known a bit more about peace and love than they do now.Do you really expect people who have been oppressed for over half a century to be softy softy ? Silly you. ``Especially when you have a country run by Hamas, Hizbollah, Islamic Jihad, Fatah, Al Aqsa Brigade, Popular Front, Palestinian Police, Force 17, and Yassir Arafat. '' Funny coming from a supporter of a coutry that has been run by certified war criminals, terrorists, mass murderers, and ethnic cleansers right from it's inception.Sharon, Begin, Rabin, Shamir, Mofaz, IDF, Israeli security forces, the occupying army.....you get the picture.

Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:50 am

Funny coming from a supporter of a coutry that has been run by certified war criminals, terrorists, mass murderers, and ethnic cleansers right from it's inception.Sharon, Begin, Rabin, Shamir, Mofaz, IDF, Israeli security forces, the occupying army.....you get the picture.

Oh yes, we get the picture! We get YOUR picture, and the picture of the whole Arab world, it seems.

gaut

Wed Mar 06, 2002 5:37 am

Tbar220,

When you humiliate people like the Israelis make with the Palestinians, you should not expect love in return.
I saw images of refugee camps without water, whose several houses were destroyed by Israeli buldozer .And from this camps you can see a beautiful Jewish colony with a beautiful water tower!!
I saw an Israeli journalist walking in the streets of a city where there is curfew only for the Arabs!!!!
This woman was with an Arab who had an authorization to walk freely in the city but it was quickly surrounded and insulted by tens of Jews!!!
He is insulted and deprived from freedom because of his racial origin!!! I was really chocked

Gaut

«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

Hepkat

Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:06 am

I think all the staunch Israel supporters are fooling themselves. Whenever you take away a person's land, build your own state of the art communities on money donated by a superpower, deny this same person the right of free movement (in effect killing their livelihood), and continue yet to build more settlements (more taunts), then what ELSE do you expect? Of course the oppressed are going to form terrorist cells and try to exact vengeance! This has been happening since the very first people were first oppressed how many millenia ago. I truly don't understand why we continue to be shocked.

Sharon constantly accuses Arafat of not wanting peace, when he himself CONTINUES to build settlement, amidst internation condemnation, in effect creating more homeless Palestinians. To me, that says Sharon's just using this latest Palestinian uprise to stall the discussion process. He could very well have discussions tomorrow if he wanted, but that would mean implementing the Mitchell agreement which calls for the cessation of building settlements, which we all clearly know is not in Sharon's best interest. He keeps setting these ridiculous conditions, which he very well knows will not or can not be met.

In my opinion, Sharon and Co. are only too pleased to see the (losing) Intifada continue; it's condemned internationally, and he can continue building his settlements. End of story.

LY744

Wed Mar 06, 2002 6:09 am

"And from this camps you can see a beautiful Jewish colony with a beautiful water tower!!"

Water tower? You sure?

"I saw an Israeli journalist walking in the streets of a city where there is curfew only for the Arabs!!!!"

What city? When? Source?

" but it was quickly surrounded and insulted by tens of Jews!!!"

Where? When? Source? Sounds like some Jewish radicals in the territories, as you probably wouldn't want all Palestinians to be judged by the actions of some, don't judge all Israelis for the actions of some of them. Not to mention the fact that what you describe sounds far from being any officially sanctioned action.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:37 pm

He could very well have discussions tomorrow if he wanted, but that would mean implementing the Mitchell agreement which calls for the cessation of building settlements, which we all clearly know is not in Sharon's best interest. He keeps setting these ridiculous conditions, which he very well knows will not or can not be met.

- the Mitchell plan calls first of all for the cessation of the VIOLENCE...
Arafat is calling for the continuation and intensification of the violence, for instance by declaring that he "wants to become a martyr for Jerusalem", or by explaining that it's "worth sacrificing 70 Palestinians in order to have one Israeli killed".

- these ridiculous conditions... Yeah, it's ridiculous for the Israeli PM to ask the Palestinian "partner" to stop terrorizing its population...The Israelis should continue "negotiating" while Israeli busses explode, while Israeli children and teenagers are massacrated at a disco or in restaurants, or in malls...just as was the case throughout the 90s... The Palestinians have a legitimate right to conduct peace negociation while at the same time organizing terror waves in the midst of Israeli cities...
THAT's a ridiculous point of view!

- ...will not or can not be met. Well, that's very interesting...Then Israel has no other alternative than to live forever in a perpetual war situation, as Palestinian terrorism will never end; and for you, this seems to be totally normal...The opposite would be ridiculous, as you've brilliantly explained.
Arafat is inciting violence, so don't say he "can't" stop it! He at the very least can stop the incitement...that would already be a beginning!

Lowsonboy

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:46 pm

Yeah, it's ridiculous for the Israeli PM to ask the Palestinian "partner" to stop terrorizing its population...The Israelis should continue "negotiating" while Israeli busses explode, while Israeli children and teenagers are massacrated at a disco or in restaurants, or in malls...just as was the case throughout the 90s... The Palestinians have a legitimate right to conduct peace negociation while at the same time organizing terror waves in the midst of Israeli cities...
THAT's a ridiculous point of view!

So should the Palestinians keep negotiating while the Israeli government continues to fire missles at them?
BOTH sides need to stop - maybe Israel should take the moral highground and stop retaliating?

EmiratesLover

Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:13 pm

``BOTH sides need to stop - maybe Israel should take the moral highground and stop retaliating? ''

EXTREMELY well said, Lowsonboy.Israel should end it's own violence against Palestinians by ending the occupation...what people need to realize is the military occupation, and the actual act of putting an entire population under military occupation in itself represents an act of violence.You only need to see what decades of occupation have meant for Palestinians to grasp this simple reality.

A word to Toda Reisinger - I know I have clashed with you over the past several weeks.I understand that you do not like me because I take a stand against Israel's persecution of the Palestinians.You put out this latest article on the forum to tell us about the terrible tragedy that befell your country.I tell you I, as a proud supporter of the Palestinian cause do NOT feel happy at all when innocent Israelis get killed by terror attacks.In fact I feel terrible.But the solution that Israel has offered to the Palestinian problem has always been wrong - you do not oppress another people and then expect the world to sympathize with you when the people you have subjugated and dehumanize use terror to show their frustration.You dehumanize not only your enemy but you dehumanize yourself too.

I sometimes see pictures of Israelis on TV, in their cities and towns, in the street, getting on with their lives - they physically are quite similar to the people here in Malta - their Mediterranean lifestyle, their looks the way they dress etc.I do not want them to die any more than I want terrorist bombs to go off in the middle of Malta's nightlife district or shopping areas.But they horrific way they treat Palestinians menas that they have put themselves in the position where they are today.Without exxagerating I can tell you that there is not a tremendous amount of sympathy here in Malta for Israel, every time a bomb goes off in the middle of Tel Aviv, people here just shrug there shoulders and say `let them fight'.So what does that tell you - Israel dehumanizes Palestinians and the world is indifferent to Israel's own tragedies - so indirectly the Israelis dehumanize themselves in the eyes of the world's public.
Perhaps we need to look for solutions - ending the terror AND the oppression that creates it needs to be the common goal.

Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:16 am

The former Israeli gvt offered Arafat the "end of the occupation", and the Palestinian answer has been clear enough to understand that they're not interested in living peacefully alongside Israel. You just need to HEAR what they're saying all the time...

And go back a few years back, if your selective memory allows this... After the Gulf war, and the alliance between Arafat and Saddam, the situation was relatively calm in Israel; the current inferno began in April 1994 with the first wave of suicide attacks, half a year after the "Declaration of principles" between the Rabin gvt and the PLO. What a coincidence... Then Arafat arrived in Gaza in July 1994, and the situation has only worsened ever since, with hundreds of Israelis assassinated in the streets of their cities, in Jerusalem, in Tel Aviv, in Hedera, in Beit Lid, allover the country.
Your "reasoning" doesn't stand... It's not despair which has created the waves of suicide bombings plaguing Israel for years; it is the idea that a solution including the existence of the State of Israel was for the first time envisioned. If it was "despair" or the "humiliation" which created the terrorism, how could you explain that as soon as negotiations were under way, new waves of deadly attacks were organized?...All this terrible situation in Israel has begun simutanuously with the peace process, ie with the hopes of a solution for the conflict...

there is not a tremendous amount of sympathy here in Malta for Israel, every time a bomb goes off in the middle of Tel Aviv, people here just shrug there shoulders and say `let them fight'

- oh, that's tremendously interesting; you just think "well, some more of these cruel oppessors have paid the price of their own behavior..."...; but when a suicide bomber is killed "prematurely", then there's a tremendous amount of sympathy for the Palestinians, I understand...

Israel dehumanizes Palestinians and the world is indifferent to Israel's own tragedies - so indirectly the Israelis dehumanize themselves in the eyes of the world's public.

- to send dozens of human bombs to explode in the midst of innocent civilians, mainly children, teens and families, is one of the most INHUMANE thing conceivable, it's nihilism at its crudest degree. It's obviously the peace process initiated in 1993 which has "created" this new form of terror...
The Palestinians "dehumanize" themselves directly in the eyes of any sane human being...

Sonic

Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:50 am

Toda, you don't know the facts. I read a book "World history 1965-2000", especially the part for this conflict. Israeli government just filled all the responsibility on terrorists. Actuallly, Israel didn't wanted to give Palestinian freedom themselves.

I won't now say everything word-to-word I posted before. If you want, use search function.

EmiratesLover

Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:51 am

``The former Israeli gvt offered Arafat the "end of the occupation", and the Palestinian answer has been clear enough to understand that they're not interested in living peacefully alongside Israel. You just need to HEAR what they're saying all the time... ''

The former Israeli govt offered a glorified Bantustan, not a real state or the end to the occupation.Do you understand the difference?
``All this terrible situation in Israel has begun simutanuously with the peace process, ie with the hopes of a solution for the conflict... ''

No, No - this terrible situation has been there since the six-day war when the Israelis brutally and illegally out an entire Palestinian poulation under military occupation.Even when the Israelis were negotiating with Arafat the humiliation, land confiscation, human rights abuses etc of the Israeli occupation was continuing mercilessly....the peace process was a fig leaf for perpetuating the occupation....more land confiscated, more settlements while the talking continued.

``to send dozens of human bombs to explode in the midst of innocent civilians, mainly children, teens and families, is one of the most INHUMANE thing conceivable, it's nihilism at its crudest degree. It's obviously the peace process initiated in 1993 which has "created" this new form of terror...
The Palestinians "dehumanize" themselves directly in the eyes of any sane human being... ''

since you seem to be such a specialist on inhumanity....here goes.....expelling an entire population from it's historic homeland, demolishing hundreds of villages and obliterating them from the face of the earth, forcing millions into exile, putting an entire population under military occupation, killing children, shooting unarmed protesters, using F-16s against civilian neighbourhoods, preventing people from getting to hospital in time, demolishing thousands of homes beacuse they happened to belong to the wrong people, and an endless cornucopia of human rights abuses and brutality that Israel has imposed on the Palestinians fro the past five decades......these have also got to be some of the most inhuman things to do also.......and PLEASE dont make an idiot of yourself by using the pathetic suicide bombers as a convenient excuse - Israel's oppression of the Palestinians started a lot time before crazy Palestinian men started using themselves as human bombs.

Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:27 am

using F-16s against civilian neighbourhoods

- you are a professionnal LIAR, but you are also the proof that peace is just impossible in the ME...

No, No - this terrible situation has been there since the six-day war when the Israelis brutally and illegally out an entire Palestinian poulation under military occupation

- The waves of suicide bombings began precisely with the peace process. It doesn't fit in your convinient "logic", but it's the case, sadly...

the pathetic suicide bombers as a convenient excuse

- next time you're sitting in a bus, or eating in a restaurant, or dancing in a disco...just think about the pathetic suicide bombers...and imagine the carnage one could create right where you are...

Lowsonboy

Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:59 am

next time you're sitting in a bus, or eating in a restaurant, or dancing in a disco...just think about the pathetic suicide bombers...and imagine the carnage one could create right where you are...

Or maybe driving you kids home from school when a tank shell hits your car:

The school run on a sunny day, but a tank shell found them in the wrong place at the wrong time
Suzanne Goldenberg in Ramallah
The Guardian

Tuesday March 5, 2002

The Pokemon CD was intact, and that was nearly all that remained of Bushra Abu Kweik and her three children after an Israeli tank shell ripped through the roof of their car during the afternoon school run.

Two other children in a passing white Subaru were also killed by the Israeli shell, the deadliest single episode on a day in which 17 Palestinians were killed as Israel adopted a campaign of "continuous military pressure" against West Bank and Gaza militants.

The shell that arced through a glorious blue sky towards Ramallah's Abu Shusha street was fired from the illegal Jewish settlement of Psagot. The rows of red-topped houses are clearly visible from this opposing hilltop, barely two kilometres away, and it seemed all but impossible yesterday that the Israeli soldiers would have failed to spot the fluttering white headscarf of Ms Abu Kweik, or those of her two daughters, as she eased her green Mitsubishi truck down the hill towards her home, driving in the direction of Psagot.

"I heard a loud noise and ran out in the road and saw pieces of human flesh. A man was holding three children in his arms. They were all covered in blood," said Najwa Itaiwi, who lives a few yards from the scene of the attack. "He was screaming 'look at my children. Where are the other two?' "

There was nothing recognisably human left in the other vehicle, in which Bushra Abu Kweik was driving daughters, Aziza, 13, Bara, 12, and son, Mohammed, 10, home from school. Children's textbooks, wrapped in covers showing Winnie the Pooh and other Disney characters were stacked on the bonnet of the wreck. In the last page of one notebook, a child's hand had scrawled over and over: "I love you very much".

Tragedy affects many people in the Middle East. Like I said earlier, it needs BOTH sides to stop. And Toda, with all due respect, Emirates is not lying about the use of F-16s - whether deliberately or not, it happens.

ryanb741

Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:14 am

Toda:

A few weeks ago BBC had coverage of F16's hitting civilian targets, although it is possible that they might have been aiming for a terrorist cell located in a residential area (I mean, the terrorists don't exactly live in military compounds - they try to blend in with the rest of Palestinian Society).
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:15 am

Toda:

A few weeks ago BBC had coverage of F16's hitting civilian targets, although it is possible that they might have been aiming for a terrorist cell located in a residential area (I mean, the terrorists don't exactly live in military compounds - they try to blend in with the rest of Palestinian Society).

- OK, very well: yesterday a baby was wounded in the Israeli town of Sderot, by rockets fired from PA territory; the launchers can be moved very quickly from place to place, and what is Israel supposed to do if the terrorists cowardly shoot from within civilian areas? (as the hezbollah has been doing in south Lebanon for years...) Sure, in your theories, Israel should just do nothing at all, neither react nor even try to neutralize the launchers. The fact that any form of normal living becomes impossible inside Israel is not a substantial problem...

Emirates is not lying about the use of F-16s
- Sure he is! and it seems to work...

Sonic

Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:28 am

Toda, congratulations with exacly 1 year of membership in airliners.net .

And what Palestine is supposed to do? Wait until Israel will fully annex them place it's settlements in Palestine territory, etc. Israel is a despotistic power (not saying Palestine isn't so), even if there wouldn't be terrorists, Israel would still place army in Palestinian towns, create settlements in Palestinian territory, try to get rid of their language and religion.

LY744

Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:57 am

I really like the idea of Israel taking the moral high grounds and all that stuff, but look at it from IL's leadership's point of view: getting the moral high grounds are gonna cost them a lot of lives of the people that elected them to run their country...

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:49 am

Israel has taken the moral high ground.

they evacuated lebanon, the palestinians responded with the intifadah.

they started the peace process in 1993, the palestinians responded with what you see on cnn every three hours.

lovely hunh.

tbar220

Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:01 am

What's more disturbing is that everybody on this forum just seems to forget all the Israeli terrorism vicitims since the peace process of 1993. Its as if they don't exist, and neither do the victims that have been killed in the last year. And what did Israel do in the last ten years? Just offer more peace, more land. Certainly they didn't do what Sharon is doing now.

And you don't count the 130 suicide bombers (number climbing) in the Palestinian death count nor the numerous gunmen who have attacked civilian areas in Israel.
NO URLS in signature