lubcha132

Best And Worst US Presidents

Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:58 am

Who are your top 2 and bottom 2 US Presidents?

Hurricane

RE: Best And Worst US Presidents

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:28 am

Top: FDR
(I have a feeling Im gonna get flamed for this one)
Bill Clinton
Bottom: Richard Nixon
Andrew Johnson

Confuscius

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:53 am

Best:
William Jefferson Clinton
James Earl Carter

Worst:
Ronald Wilson Reagan
Richard Milhous Nixon
Ain't I a stinker?

4holer

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:00 am

Best
Thomas Jefferson. Brilliant man.
FDR. What Balls.
Lincoln. Integrity

Worst
Clinton. Lack of integrity. Brought shame to the office and the country.
LBJ.
Dubya. I support him as President, but anyone with access to The Button should be able to pronounce "nuclear".

Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:45 am

Best

1.) FDR
2.) Teddy Rooselvelt

Worst

1.) Clinton
2.) Coolidge
2.a) Lincoln

Eric505

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:51 am

BEST:
1) FDR
2) JFK

WORST:
1) Clinton
2) Carter
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

bruno

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:55 am

Best:
Lincoln
FDR

Worst:
Harding
Van Buren
I support the women’s movement up and down!

Hurricane

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:41 am

Hey KROC, what did Calvin Coolidge ever do bad??? Come to think of it, did he ever do anything in the first place? Ol' Silent Cal...

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:52 am

My bad Hurricane. I believe I was thinking of Harding instead.

Hamfist

Kroc?

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:53 am

I would really like to know why you have Lincoln at the bottom?

He was probably one of the most principled and disciplined presidents. If you find the time, grab a copy of a book called "Lincoln on Leadership". It's not written by him, rather about him using the things he said and methods he used to interact with the many different persons with whom he dealt.

When I think of Lincoln, I think of the president Clinton COULD HAVE been if Bill had any integrity.

Gumah

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:55 am

WORST:
1. Clinton and his creepy sidekick AL Gore
2. Carter

BEST:
1. Reagan
2. George W. Bush

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:59 am

Lincoln is at the bottom of my list because of this. Let me quote Kris Parker.

Lincoln said, in this piece here, he says... he frees the slaves; he said, "All slaves in armed rebellion." The slaves. Now understand one point: the African is not a slave, that's one point that they didn't realize when they were writin this. The African is not a slave. The
African has a history far more advanced than this nineteen-ninety history we're in right now. He's not a slave. Lincoln's ultimately sayin now you were born a slave, you'll always be a slave, and all I will ever see you as is a slave, and I free you.

Maybe to have Lincoln at the bottom is a little too far down, but he is far fro mthe best.

lubcha132

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:01 pm

Coolidge could've done better to prevent the depression instead Hoover got the shit end of the stick.
Apparently his opposition would've done better.

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:02 pm

Lubcha, just like Bush Sr. had the economy on the upswing, and Clinton got all the credit for it.

Hamfist

Kroc...huh?

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:07 pm

I have no idea what point you are trying to make with the paragraph about Lincoln and slavery.

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:12 pm

Ham, I was gonna let it go, but seeign as how your a USAF officer, chances are your an intelligent enough guy. I'm former AF too.

The point I was making, is that Lincoln was seen as the black persons great savior, but in reality, if you really study his words, he called all blacks slaves. Not black people, or Africans...he called them slaves. He didn't say Africans being held as slaves or anything. Like in the quote, Lincoln's ultimately sayin now you were born a slave, you'll always be a slave, and all I will ever see you as is a slave, and I free you.

(Emancipation Proclimation)

IMissPiedmont

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:25 pm

James Earl Carter listed twice as one of the worst? That's funny. Perhaps not the best president ever, but most certainly one of the best men to ever hold the office.

George Bush the senior was certainly the most qualified in the past 40 years. Clinton the biggest scum and Reagan the most over rated.

The jury is still out on shrub. I do believe that he is a man of priinipal. I'm just not sure how he would be doing without his "war on terror." Somewhat less well than what people see now I suspect.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Hamfist

Yeah, But...

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:28 pm

I'm won't claim to be an expert on Lincoln, but let's say that is exactly what he said. I think you have to put his words in the context of his time. I would venture to guess that almost every black person he ever met WAS a slave. I imagine it was hard for him, or any other American of the mid-19th century, to see an African as anything else.

At least, at a minimum, he recognized that Africans were entitled to be the masters of their own lives.

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:33 pm

Hamfist. He recognized that well into the Civil War, when who would win was still up in the air, and tipping to the South. He needed something to give the North the advantage again. That was it. Freeing the "Slaves".

apathoid

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:37 pm

Most disgraceful and absolute worst: clinton

Best intentions but #2 worst: carter

Best is and always will be: Reagan.. last time I was proud to be American before Dubya

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:40 pm

Apathoid. I agree with your worst! I am also a huge Ronnie fan as well. See, I'm not that much of a dick!  Big thumbs up

sccutler

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:52 pm

President Clinton does not deserve to share the same planet as President Carter.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

apathoid

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:56 pm

OMG - KROC likes the Gipper. I never would have guessed that. Guess I have to ratchet you up a few notches on my list.

I am not saying Jimmy Carter was a bad guy, I am saying he was a HORRIBLE president. He is a wonderful man and as honest as the day is long. And his work for Habitat for Humanity is wonderful. But the only president in modern times to do more to undermine the countries security and economy was comrade clinton.

Clinton was a bad person AND a bad president.

BWIrwy4

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:56 pm

Best:
1. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Theodore Roosevelt/Harry Truman (tie)

Worst:
1. Richard Nixon
2. Warren G. Harding
3. Ulysses S. Grant

Carter was a largely ineffectual president, but he is the best ex-president, followed closely by John Quincy Adams.

Alpha 1

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:13 pm

Apatoid, Clinton may have been a bad person, but he will go down as a better president than most this century, simply because of the economic boom that took place under his tenure. And don't give all the credit to the GOP Congress. They had a hand in it, but in the same way that the Democratic Congress had a hand in the economic boom that took place when Reagan was in office. Same difference.

mls515

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:22 pm

Worst:
1. FDR (for locking up the Japanese)
2. Clinton (lack of integrity)

Best:
1. Lincoln (for preserving the Union)
2. FDR (for getting the US through the Depression and WWII)

P.S. I know......

apathoid

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:44 pm

The clinton economy merely rode the coattails of Reagan and Bush. The best thing clinton did to the economy was that he didn't do anything at all.

apathoid

Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:45 pm

Evidence also exists that clinton diliberately worked to undermine the economy during his last year in office in order to make Bush look bad. No, clinton did nothing "good" during his presidency.

jsf119

Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:36 pm

Best
Ronald Reagan
Abraham Lincoln

Worst
Bill Clinton brought shame to american and PARTLY to blame for 9/11
LBJ

Metwrench

Tue Mar 05, 2002 4:11 pm

Anybody care to hear a Conservative's point of view?

Worst:

Carter: He was supposed to heal the so-called pain of the Nixon/Ford years. All he did was trash National Defense and lock up natural resources, and build houses for Welfare Mom's.

Clinton: All he did was take credit for positive gains in our economy that were provided by the guidance of Reagonomics.

Best:

Reagan: Fostered true patriotism among Americans. Put a final end to the Cold War. Ignited an economic revolution in the world economy. Rebuilt our national defenses to a truly formable power.

Ford: The true healing force behind the Nixon years.

FLY 8

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:03 pm

For me as a European I share my opinion with many others, Clinton was ok, but NOBODY likes President Bush!!

I also think President Bush is a shame for the USA. As he made his last trip to Europe the magazines have been full of statements he said wich have been completly wrong. Some things he said have been just stupid nonsense! That was realy embarrassingly!!

And are you guys not aware of Bush´s Environmental policy??

And what belongs to foreign policy Clinton was much better!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

apathoid

Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:05 pm

clinton had no foreign policy

and Bush has an 83% approval rating.

and, who cares what europeons think?

FLY 8

Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:44 pm

I never heard something more ingnorant like that Apathoid!

With that statement you disqualified yourself!!!!!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:12 pm

Worst:
Clinton, integrity. Lewinsky, ewwwww!!
Nixon, integrity and he just didn't photograph well.
I realise all presidents lie, cheat, and steal, but they got caught so "their bad".
Carter, any one remember the ferocious bunny rabit? what a pie.

Best:
George Washington, he had wooden teeth and he still got the babes. Now that says alot if you think about it.
Lincoln, the beard and the hat, definitely a bold fashion statement for the times.Plus, he made the hairy mole sexy, paving the way for future supermodels.
Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, now that is how you do it, are you taking notes Mr. Clinton?

KROC

Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:32 pm

Wow, I had no idea fly 8 was chosen to speek for all europeans?  Yeah sure

seven_fifty7

Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:28 pm

BEST:

1. William Jefferson Clinton
2. John F. Kennedy
3. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

WORSE:

1. Ronald Reagan
2. Ronald Reagan
3. Ronald Reagan

(I thought everyone knew this)

Hurricane

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:26 pm

I don't get how you people think Clintion was the worst president...I'll be the first to admit, what he did was shameful and stupid, but it had no influence on how he ran the country. I think alot of you are basing your opinion on the fact that he cheated on his wife and lied to the country, but this had absolutely no influence on the way Clintion handled (marvelously) the economy, the situation in the middle east, etc.

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:42 pm

Aparthoid, shame on you for such a comment.

Best : Clinton, JFK
Worst : ??, Bush jnr.

petertenthije

Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:50 pm

Well, Fly8 may not officially have been chosen to represent the Europeans, but I do agree with him.
Attamottamotta!

JetService

Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:49 pm

JFK - Overrated. Only in office for 2 years. Last pres. to be put on currency.
LBJ - Clinton's mentor (scumbag)
Nixon - If not for burglary cover-up, would've been viewed as terrific diplomat.
Ford - In over his head.
Carter - In over his head
Reagan - Truly great. Made America proud. Next pres. to be put on currency.
Bush Sr. - Had tough act to follow. Got blamed for economy even though it was recovering.
Clinton - LBJ's young grasshopper (scumbag).
Bush Jr. - High marks so far. Doing good despite first year trial by fire and skeptics.
"Shaddap you!"

GDB

Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:20 am

With my limited knowledge, I'll stick to the 20th century.

Best; FDR, in both war and peace, a rare combination.

Worst; Nixon, quite apart from his real actions, you've him to thank for the vast conspiracy theory industry. Clinton getting blown in the Oval Office is betraying a trust, but compared to Tricky Dicky's betrayals?

airsicknessbag

Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:44 am

Because of the impact American policy has had on world affairs in the 20th century (especially post WWII), both the best and the worst come form that period:

Best:
Bush Sr. - brilliant at foreign policy, handled the collapse of communism outstandingly well (and that was tricky with a lot at stake);
FDR - effectively rid the world of fascism, ´nuff said.

Worst:
Regardless of their performance, Clinton and Nixon. Leaders need a certain amount of personal and moral integrity.
Bush jr is just dumb and a puppet for Cheney et. al.
Wilson let the French dictate the Versailles treaty which contributed a lot to WWII´s outbreak.

D L X

Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:41 am

Whoa, KROC. Just lost serious points with me about liking Reagan.  Smile

Can't see how one can rate so highly a president that ran up the national debt so high. I guess he realized that he wouldn't be around to see the trouble it caused.

Don't like the high taxes we pay now? You know whom to blame. (Reagan)

The funny thing is that when you ask someone what made Reagan great, they can't tell you. (Maybe they can't remember.) The only saving grace Reagan brought was Bush I.

Best Presidents:
Washington (no political parties, and won that whole war thing)
FDR (led people through terrible strife)
Johnson (rebuilt the country even though unpopular)

Worst Presidents:
Reagan (couldn't keep a budget)
Harding (corrupt)
Reagan (hypocritical)
Nixon (corrupt)
Reagan (couldn't remember)

PPGMD

Wed Mar 06, 2002 7:08 am

Wow you can really tell peoples political and moral views based on their selections.
Worst:
Clinton and Carter

Best:
FDR and Reagan.

Here is my play by play of the presidents.

FDR - He planed ahead quite well, over all a descent president.

Don't know the ones inbetween that well. So I don't want to comment just based on the overviews that I have read before.

JFK - Not sure, but many of his acts in office became big trouble for us later on. Would be able to make a better descion if he had served a full term.

LBJ - This guy got us futher in a war he couldn't handle. If you heard some of the things he said you could tell he knew nothing about war yet he tried to command one.

Nixon - Good president if it weren't for the little coverup thing.

Ford - Good healer but really didn't do much.

Carter - Same book as LBJ. He knew nothing of how a country is run. He had no clue of how to manage international relations. I believe that he was responsible for the fall of the one stabilizing force in the middle east, Iran. The sha kept the country (Iran) fairly tilted towards the west and progress.

Reagan - Our economic progress in the 90's was his responsbillity. Kept our country as one of the most powerful in the world.

Bush Sr. - Good president, handled several conflicts well but just the economy hadn't recovered yet and the people didn't like him well enough.

Clinton - Worst President Ever!

Bush Jr. - So far pretty good.
At worst, you screw up and die.

N400QX

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:28 am

Wow... I can't believe some of the stuff I have read. Oh well, here are mine--

Worst:
Wilson-- the whole WWI mess. "The president that paved the way for WWII."
Clinton-- enough said.

Best:
Reagan-- great man, excellent economics, created a great economy, had the balls to fire all the illegally striking ATC, built up the military (600-ship Navy, "Peace Through Strength"), helped bring down the USSR (see building up military), overall wonderful president that I am sad cannot be with us today.
Jefferson-- all you have to do is read what he wrote. Amazing.

N400QX

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:48 am

Worst:
1. Bill Clinton. Not only morally bankrupt, but really didn't do anything but apologize to various groups. Oh, and did I mention that he was a pot smoking draft dodger? And you guys still like him!!! The guy is a scumbag.

2. You know, I just can't think of anyone else who did so bad. So, I'm going to pick three bests.

Best:
1. George Washington
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Thomas Jefferson

Honorable mentions: Reagan, JFK

About George W. Bush, I really like the guy, but his term isn't over yet, and he's got some stiff competition for best president. He's done great in my book, because he's restored a tone of honor to the office of the President, rather than one of fillandering and dishonesty. Everyone seems really critical of George W., but would you rather have him, or Al Gore?

flight152

Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:54 am

This summed everything up very well, I hope people take note.

"William Jefferson Clinton was elected President of the United States in 1992, and again in 1996— the first Democratic president to be awarded a second term in six decades. Under his leadership, the United States has enjoyed the strongest economy in a generation and the longest economic expansion in U.S. history. President Clinton's core values of building community, creating opportunity, and demanding responsibility have resulted in unprecedented progress for America, including moving the nation from record deficits to record surpluses; the creation of over 22 million jobs— more than any other administration; low levels of unemployment, poverty, and crime; and the highest homeownership rate in history. His accomplishments as president include increasing critical investments in education, providing tax relief for working families, helping millions of Americans move from welfare to work, expanding access to technology, encouraging investment in underserved communities, and promoting peace and strengthening democracy around the world. "

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.com/leg_bio.html

Best: William Jefferson Clinton
John F Kennedy

LH423

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:05 am

and, who cares what europeons think?

Who cares what YOU think? Just because they're not from this country doens't invalidate their opinion!

Anyways

Best:
1. FDR
2. JFK

Worst:
42. Harding
43. Reagan

BTW, N400QX, it wasn't Wilson who paved the way for WWII, it was the Republican congress that refused to pass his peace seeking measures like joining the League of Nations, and passing his 14 Points. However, the majority of the blame for WWII lies with PM David Lloyd George of the UK and Georges Clemenceau of France, who wanted revenge and humiliated Germany, ultimately bringing rise to Hitler and the National Socialists.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

KROC

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:10 am

LH423. Thank you for making the point about Wilson. You saved me the trouble.  Big thumbs up

Also, Wilson handled the WWI situation as well as he could have. Do some research on it. Not just what you might have learned in school.

Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:31 am

This summed everything up very well, I hope people take note.

Clinton's website is hardly what I'd call objective.