LH423
Topic Author

Should Gay People Be Allowed To Give Blood?

Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:47 am

Today I went to a blood drive held by the American Red Cross. It was my first time so I didn't really know what to expect. They handed me forms to fill out and I did so. One of the questions was "Are you a male who has had sex with another male since 1977?" Wanting to answer truthfully, I responded "yes". My number was called and I went to the woman who proceeded to ask me questions. After examining my arms and asking me a few health related questions, she asked me if if I had had sex with another male? I once again answered yes, and she asked me the dates. Then she checked her manual and said that I was to be deferred because doing that is deemed "risky behaviour."

I was kinda sad because I thought that if I could at least do one good thing in the world it would be to sacrifice 500mL of my (clean) blood. When they told me I couldn't, and that I would now be on a permanent deferral list it was kind of a shock.

I realize their reasons for doing those background checks...these days you can't be too careful, but I'm not a promiscuous person, and the few times I have had sex in my life, it's all been protected. So, here's my question: Do you think it's right of the Red Cross to not allow gay men (didn't say anything about women) to not be able to donate their blood because of the slightly higher risk for HIV/AIDS? Statistically speaking there are more HIV infected straight men and woman who are infected than there are gay men, and I know they have tests to prove if there is the virus present. I know furthermore that the reason they don't want to take the chance is because of some contingencies that may happen while the blood is in transit before it has been tested. However, I think in this day in age 99 per cent of people are responsible enough to not give blood if they are doing things truly risky.

So, do you agree or disagree that gay men should NOT be allowed to donate blood to the American Red Cross?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PanAm747

RE: Should Gay People Be Allowed To Give Blood?

Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:50 am

I don't know, that's a tough call.

But you can always give back to the world even without your blood.

Did they ask questions about heroin use, etc?

Maybe you can get AIDS test papers and show them you are unaffected.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:05 am

I don't really have a comment about allowing gays to donate. However, there is nothing you can do once put on the deferral list. I am on the list because I had a increased liver enzyme. It was only 2% higher than normal and when I went to the doctor, he said even though it slightly high, there is nothing wrong with my blood.

As far as the HIV rate being higher in heterosexuals than homosexuals, that was not always the case. It is because of the many bisexuals and needle users.

Alessandro

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:24 am

Don´t the US health care test the blood that are given?
All these questions are rubbish, they should test the blood properly or not take blood at all!
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Ilyushin96M

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:30 am

I think it is a stupid and totally discriminatory policy. On the whole, gay men are no more of a risk to use blood from than straight men and women, or lesbians, for that matter. It is a lie that we are more of a risk group, and the mentality of the people behind this ridiculous, antiquated, prejudiced policy sickens me. I think that we should give blood just like any other group of people.

N400QX

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:33 am

Hey, as long as the blood is uncontaminated, they shouldn't care where it comes from. Makes sense to me.

Sorry to hear about your rejection, LH423.

N400QX

OzarkD9S

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:34 am

Same thing happened to me. Had my AIDS test results and asked if they screened the blood. They said "yes" so I asked them why I couldn't donate and they said I was "a risk". The Hell with 'em I donate to the United Way out of my payroll check for the St Louis Effort For AIDS. Look into that (United Way, you pick the charity).
Next up: STL-CVG-MKE-MSP-STL.

VC-10

Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:21 am

In the UK you cannot give blood if you have EVER had any form of sex with a man with/without a condom (assuming you are male).

N400QX

Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:24 am

Oh and just to add to my statement, I have been the recipient of a major blood transfusion. I am grateful to have received blood, so I probably shouldn't be picky as to where it came from as long as its clean....

TWFirst

Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:53 am

So they probably let straight men who have slept with 100's of sluts, but don't let gay men even if they have only had sex with just one man and used a condom.

Retarded.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

VC-10

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:00 am

No, if you have had sex with a prostitute also you are not allowed.

blink182

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:13 am

I think they should at least draw a sample of your blood, and if it is safe, then do it. I think they did this because of HIV, but it has spread so much that now anyone could get it.

If anything, they should have it where they take a small sample of your blood and study it and then make a decision on whether it is ok and to come back to you.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

ngr

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:15 am

I am biased to say no. Following what you said about statistics, you are somewhat right, somewhat wrong.

Yes, there is a larger number of HIV/AIDS cases with straight people, but then look at it this way. Of the very few gay people, look at the percentages of them who have AIDS/HIV. Their percentages, based on relative position, are much higher than straight people.

Again, I am saying no.

NGR

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:20 am

Gays could lie about it on the forms. I mean, if you are clean and know that you are clean then go for it. It is for the greater good anyhow right. The Red Cross does check every sample it takes before it is put into circulation. Thats how all of the people that did not know they had HIV found out they did after 9/11. I don't really understand why they don't take everyones blood in the first place. If it comes out negetive, good. If it comes out positive, well they send you a letter. But unless there is a medical reason not to accept blood, then they should accept everyones.

LH423
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:32 am

NGR: Yes, percentage-wise that's true, when you look at it in terms of infected population, the gay population has a higher percentage than the straight population, however when you consider that the people who donate come from all walks of life it really doesn't matter.

I think I should also clarify, that if you have ever:
1. Offered sex for drugs or money.
2. Offered drugs or money for sex.
3. Are a female who has had sex with a male who has had sex with another male since 1977.
4. Are someone who has suffered from Creutzfeld-Jakob disease or other liver related diseases.

...you are also not allowed to donate. Obviously, there is no denying this is when many STDs (notable AIDS) entered America, but with our advanced screening technology I think that with the sample of blood they take before they take the full 500mL, they could detect any abnormalities in the blood.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SophieMaltese

Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:22 am

I have a good friend who is gay who gives all the time. Just don't tell them, it's none of their damn business anyway. I could get AIDS too and I'm straight.

Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:47 pm

Guys,

I think it is an outdated and ridiculous process, we still have the same here in Australia.

However, you cannot blame the blood banks for not screening potential blood donors for all sorts of things. They have to cover their backs legally.

Even though blood is screened for any potential pathogen or disease it's vital that the blood that is delivered is disease free. Otherwise the blood banks across the world could end up in financial collapse.

I wonder if Vampires use a similar process?

mb

Vale Ansett

apathoid

Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:15 pm

Absolutely not.

CPDC10-30

Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:52 pm

Care to comment, Apathoid?

Rickster

Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:10 pm

To answer the above question: definately yes.
I have never heard of "straight" or "gay" blood. Blood is divided in groups and not by race, skin color or sexual orientation. I fully understand that blood banks want to eliminate the risk of receiving infected blood by handing out such forms, but Viruses tend not to choose who they are going to infect. And there is not only HIV/Aids around.
Regards Rickster

VC-10

Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:45 pm

Viruses tend not to choose who they are going to infect - true but some goups carry a higher risk of infection than others.

The good thing about the UK donor organisation is that you don't get paid for giving blood so there is no incentive to lie about your health.

airsicknessbag

Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:14 pm

Unfortunately homosexual males are more probable to be infected with the HIV than heterosexuals and homosexual females; that´s a sad fact.

That said, homosexual males are a risk group, along with e.g. drug users or promiscuous heterosexuals. This assumption is based on sheer numbers and does not imply a statement of approval or disapproval of anyone´s lifestyle or sexual orientation.

As far as I know, the HIV cannot be detected for roughly three months after the infection. Plus people might consider themselves clean but aren´t, for whatever reason.

Taking all that into account, no groups of persons who, regarded as a whole group, are more likely than the average population to be infected with the HIV should be allowed to donate blood.

And please don´t lie when it comes to determining whether you´re a member of a risk group - the whole system relies on sincerity.

Daniel Smile

Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:38 am

Airsicknesbag said:
That said, homosexual males are a risk group, along with e.g. drug users or promiscuous heterosexuals. This assumption is based on sheer numbers and does not imply a statement of approval or disapproval of anyone´s lifestyle or sexual orientation.

I couldn't agree more.

Galilee wrote:
Gays could lie about it on the forms. I mean, if you are clean and know that you are clean then go for it. It is for the greater good anyhow right.

Galilee. Frankly, I'm a little shocked that you would say something like this. I find that concept morally unacceptable and socially irresponsible. The safety of the entire public relies on the integrity of system's participants, and you are suggesting a practice that would degrade that safety. It is not right to put many at risk so that a few can feel good about themselves. The end does not justify the means.

dragogoalie

Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:06 am

I think thast BS. As long as the blood is clean and will serve its purpose, it doesn't matter where it comes from. I can't give blood because I was born in the UK (the whole mad cow disease thing).

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

TWFirst

RE: NormalSpeed

Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:39 am

>>I find that concept morally unacceptable and socially irresponsible.<<

That's OK, I find classifying an entire group of people as not eligible to give blood just because of their sexual orientation morally unacceptable and socially irresponsible.

I've been involved in an HIV vaccine study the last 3 years. In order to be in the study, you must be HIV negative. I've been tested every 6 months for the last 3 years. Yet I wouldn't be eligible to donate blood just because I'm gay. Yet there are women who have never used a condom who can donate no problem.

Most people still don't understand how HIV is transmitted: primarily through semen coming into contact with mucous membranes... thus it isn't even all gay men that are more susceptible to HIV infection... only those that have receptive anal sex, and that's only a portion of the gay population.

Whatever.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

SK A340

Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:44 am

The blood test should decide wether you are allowed to give blood or not. Here in Sweden, everyone who want's to give blood has to leave a blood sample for analyse.

SophieMaltese

Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:44 am

Yeah, I can agree that classifying a group of people as not eligable simply because of their sexual orientation is wrong. Not all gay men conduct themselves the same way as TWFirst said. Also, I think you'll find that a lot of gay men are a LOT more careful about STDs than straight women. For example, a lot of gay men perform oral sex with a condom. I do not know a single female who has ever done this.

Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:52 am

You're right, I should not have said it like I did. The ends do not justify the means, I could not agree more. It was a stupid thing to say. I really was not expecting to be taken serious about it. The only reason I said it was out of boredom. I stick with the rest of my statement however. I don't think gays should be excluded simply on that basis. I think there are many heterosexuals out there that are at just as high a risk. If HIV can be detected only after three months, then perhaps they should change the forms. Instead of going all the way back to 1977, perhaps refer to only the last six months or so.

I was really disappointed when told that I could not donate blood. It was something that I always wanted to do. Just think about it: "Giving Life!". So I understand how disappointing it could be to not even have the chance to do it.

VC-10, the Red Cross does not pay you for your blood either. I also don't think it is right to lie about your health. I only mentioned lying about having sex with another male. But know I understand that it was a stupid thing to suggest.

Hope this clears up things a bit.  Smile

RE: TWFirst

Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:26 am

I wrote:
>>I find that concept morally unacceptable and socially irresponsible.<<

TWFirst wrote:
That's OK, I find classifying an entire group of people as not eligible to give blood just because of their sexual orientation morally unacceptable and socially irresponsible.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I apologize for not making myself more clear. There is no moral basis for excluding "at risk" groups from donating blood, and I did not mean to imply that there was one. My point is that the end, donating blood, does not justify the means, lying on an application to do so. The dishonesty is the part that I find socially irresposible.

AC320

Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:38 am

Well much of how I feel has already been said. I see no problem with so-called "gay blood". In the end what matters is that blood banks are turning down potentially clean and valuable blood over something that a simple test can prove is present or not. Heck I'm a teenager, I'm a "risk group" for practically everything from drugs to HIV, and they love my O+ blood just fine. It's foolish really, and I'm sorry they rejected you, LH423, afterall giving blood is one of the greatst acts of charity, in my opinion.

On a side note, I no longer give blood after my first 2 donations demonstrated my body does not react well the the drop in systemic pressure during the donation. After a nastly spell of convulsions they had to use the smelling-salts to revive me. I'd like to donate still, but I can't stand the awful feelings I get during that anymore.  Crying
fuddle duddle

Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:10 pm

I guess the better question(imho) would be, all things being equal, who's blood would you want? I think I'd play the odds and take a heterosexuals blood. Call it homophobia, call it intolerance, whatever. Those are my feelings on the matter. I don't hate gay people, and I am not afraid of them personally, but if I was a vampire, I'd avoid eating them for lunch.

MJC777

Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:11 pm

I thought French people could already give blood?

N400QX

Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:10 pm

I agree with Galilee-- change the form to ask "...in the last six months" instead of since 1977 (or whatever). Makes sense.

Toadpipe, I understand your feelings, but I, as a recipient of a transfusion, wanted the cleanest blood possible. If I was picky about where the blood came from, I don't know if I would have got any at all (esp. if there is a shortage).

ILOVEA340

Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:01 pm

I'm not gay but it still seems totaly rediculous to me. The test the blood anyways so who the hell cares about the persons personal life?

tbar220

Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:05 pm

Maybe, they're all just a bunch of homophobes, and are afraid that "gay" blood will turn other people gay.

Just a thought...
NO URLS in signature

Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:25 am

Our church is doing a blood drive, and this is the criteria:

You must be 17 or older, and must weigh at least 110 lbs (50 kg)

You must not:
Have cold or flu symptoms or do not feel well on the day of donation.
Have taken oral antibiotics in the past five days.
Have had hepititis after the age of 11.
Have recieved a blood transfusion within the past 12 months.
Have had tattoo, body piercing, acupuncture, an accidental needle stick, or have come in contact with someone elses's blood in the past 12 months.
Have had malaria or have traveled to a malarial risk area within the past 12 months.
Have spent a total time of six months or more in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996.
Are pregnant or have been pregnant in the past six weeks.
Have been treated for syphilis, or gonorrhea in the past 12 months.
Have ever used a needle to inject non-perscription drugs (including steroids)
Have, or are at risk for HIV.

Now, these standards are not arbitrary, nor are they created to discriminate against any group. They have certain statistics available to them, and have made the determination that accepting blood from any of the "risk groups" is contrary to public health. It's nothing personal. These are the consequences of the choices you have made in life.

JetService

Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:26 pm

My opinion is that the Red Cross determines who is a risk based on statistics. If you do not agree that any particular group is statistically a risk, then you should challenge the statistics they are using, not the policy that they eliminate risks. There is good reason that they reduce the risks. I have read that any partner of a male (male or female) is more likely to contract HIV than any partner of a female (male or female). I don't know how credible or old that stat was, but I've heard it several times.

BTW, I got rejected because of high-blood pressure.  Sad
"Shaddap you!"

timmay

Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:31 pm

The same applies in South Africa i.r.t gays. What I can't understand thougth, is that HIV/AIDS is predominantly found in our hetrosexual population.

All blood is nevertheless thoroughly screened.