Stratofish
Topic Author

Best Californian Wines?

Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:54 am

Hi all,
as I recently (well, not all that recently) discovered my passion for wines and all that comes with it, two questions came into my mind:

1. What are your favourites (not only of California)?

2. Which was the best year for Californian Chardonnay?
The 1999 were great but the 2000 quite the opposite.

Btw, I´m just enjoying a glass of a Spanish red Cincibel and Manistrell from 1996.

cheers
Stratofish
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

Gumah

RE: Best Californian Wines?

Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:04 am

Wow, a topic I can relate to.

Well, not to sound egotistical, but I've made several trips to Napa in the past 10 years and have visited quite a few wineries. Wine is my life!

The ones that stand out for Chardonnay, which is my favorite wine are Grgich Hills and Cuvaison. Far Niente makes a great chardonnay as well. My favorite Chardonnay reserve is BV year 95 and 96.

Best year for California Chardonnay? It so hard to say. I've been drinking the stuff for years so I couldn't really say. A stand out in my mind is a bottle of Grgich Hills 98 Chardonnay that was quite wonderful.

Best reds? The best Cabernet in my opinion in made by Caymus. If you like a mertage or "blended" red wine, you can't beat Insignia by Joseph Phelps winery or Tapestry by BV.

Sorry, dont' know too much about the French and Latin wines, I rarely drink them. I've been spoiled I guess with all the good California wine, and the fact that I live in California only makes me more biased!

Cheers!

bruno

Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:11 am

Thunderbird or Carlos Rossi.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Just kidding  Laugh out loud
I support the women’s movement up and down!

Lortab 7.5mg

Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:27 am

Moscato Amabile, a dessert wine from Louis M. Martini winery in Napa Valley.

Stratofish
Topic Author

Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:55 pm

Some replies at last.  Smile
Thanx guys, will try to get hold of some of them.

Stratofish
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way