David_itl
Topic Author

McDonalds Wins "Too Hot" Drinks Case

Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:54 pm

Taken from http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/content.cfm?story=272035

'Big Mac victims' lose drinks case

TWO girls from Wilmslow are among a host of customers who have lost their claim against burger giants McDonalds for serving scalding drinks.

The compensation claim was made by 36 customers who sustained burns from hot tea or coffee served in the fast food restaurants between April 1996 and August 1998.

Their lawyers claimed the drinks were served too hot and in cups that were inappropriate and "defective" under the terms of the Consumer Protection Act 1987.

But Mr Justice Field cleared McDonalds of all legal liability to compensate those injured.

Tim Horlock QC, represented the 36, including Katherine Smith, of Ashford Road, Wilmslow, who was eight months old when spilt tea burnt her forearm in a McDonalds in Macclesfield in January 1998.

He also represented Courtney Eyres, of Northward Road, Wilmslow, who was three when hot black coffee was spilt on to her stomach during a trip to McDonalds in Stockport.

Mr Horlock had told Mr Justice Field during the hearing: "The type of cup used by McDonalds had a very high thermal efficiency which not only prevents significant cooling before consumption, but also does not provide the consumer with a sensory understanding of the temperature of the contents."

But Mr Justice Field disagreed, saying: "I hold that the safety of the hot drinks met the legitimate expectations."

David/MAN

eal401

RE: McDonalds Wins "Too Hot" Drinks Case

Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:02 pm

Exactly how hot are these drinks? I don't know about you but when I make tea or coffee for myself, I use boiling water. Or at least what my kettle passes off as boiling water, i.e. between 90-95 degrees most likely.

What these people are really doing is suing because they are so stupid and incapable, they cannot have a drink without spilling it. An eight month old baby gets tea spilt onto its arm? Not McDonald's fault, the person spilling the tea is at fault.

Maybe McDonalds should start issuing bibs to people when they order hot drinks.

Banco

Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:47 pm

You can bet your life they sued on a no-win, no-fee basis. Whilst the principle is good, you do also get these kind of claims.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

artsyman

Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:52 pm

I know one of the lawyers that worked in the mirror case of this in the states, and there are a few interesting points of note.

1.Coffee needs to be served at a specific temperature to correctly extract some flavours from the bean.

2. Only a few establishments in the world actually bother to serve coffee at the temperature that it is supposed to be served at.

3. There are plenty of coffee enthuisiasts that will specifically go and order McDonalds coffee for this reason.

4. McDonalds makes more money from the amount of people that specifically go to McDonalds for coffee, than they lose in lawsuits for people claiming burn injuries. Therefore they continue to serve it piping hot.

Most people seem not to think about that last point. It isnt a difficult thing to serve the coffee a little cooler, and if McDonalds didn't have a real benefit to doing it, they would be serving luke warm coffee like the rest of them.

McDonalds makes 2 million dollars profit per day from Coffee alone.

Jer

SK A340

Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:52 pm

Coffee and tea are hot, that's not Mc Donald's fault...

JetService

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:26 pm

I'm waiting for the gravy train that takes me to financial independence in the name of undersalted french-fries.
"Shaddap you!"

Alpha 1

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:38 pm

Actually, JetService, I think a class-action is needed becasue Mickey D's put too much salt in theirs. I mean, how dare they serve us fries that we KNOW has too much salt on them? Ahem.

Sounds like other judges in the world have more common sense than their American counterparts. Kudo's to the Judge in this case.

JetService

Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:44 pm

Alpha 1, my problem is that I'm a salt fiend and I like them over-salted. No wait! That's McDonalds problem!!! Someone get me a lawyer!!!!

Nope, I agree with you. Common sense finally rears its beautiful head. Refreshing.
"Shaddap you!"

EGFF

Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:52 am

How the hell do they want a coffee, stone cold?
EGFF
All together or not at all

eal401

Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:05 am

These people should be issued with "Too Stupid to Hold a Cup of Coffee" t-shirts and forced to wear them in public.

acidradio
Crew

Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:25 am

I think the lawsuit that should really be happening would be for the negligence inflicted on all of their customers for selling such unhealthy, artery-clogging food!
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

eal401

Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:12 am

I think the lawsuit that should really be happening would be for the negligence inflicted on all of their customers for selling such unhealthy, artery-clogging food!

Yeah, because God forbid you should be responsible for choosing where to eat.  Yeah sure

JetService

Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:44 am

Acidradio, its only artery-clogging for some people. For others, it is not. Depends on your body. Perhaps McDonalds should screen its customers. Only serve to people that metabolize cholesterol quickly! Nah, then they'd get sued for discrimination!

I like Eal401's idea better. Be responsible or wear a 'Dummy' T-shirt.
"Shaddap you!"