ammunition

Queen Mother Passed Away

Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:51 am

i dont know what to say....
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

KROC

RE: Queen Mother Passed Away

Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:53 am

I do. Her death is no more sad than anyone else's death.

GDB

Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:54 am

The four main terrestrial channels here have got the pre-arranged documentries rolling.
Hardly a big surprise, she was 101.

Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:59 am

It had to happen soon unfortunatley,she had not been in the best of health for some while now.
May she rest in peace.

Adrian

gkirk

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:06 am

Sad but not unexpected news. RIP
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

GDB

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:08 am

The Queen Mother's last public appearance was in November, when she went to the re-commissioning of the carrier HMS Ark Royal, after being helicoptered aboard she spent several hours chatting to the crew.
But clearly very frail even then.

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:10 am

May she rest in peace.

She was an inspiration to many people during the dark days of The Blitz during WW II for not fleeing London.

And 777236ER, you're the same one who tells us to have sympathy for Palestinians when they die, yet you can't have the simple grace to let a gracious old woman die without your assinine comment. You're such a loser.

EGGD

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:13 am

Its sad, that she could not have witnessed the queen's jubilee. She will be missed  Sad

101, wow!

Thom@s

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:15 am

Hmmm, forum members arguing over a dead royal, now there is a schoker. Not much respect for the dead here. Oh well.

Anyway, back on topic, she was perhaps one of the healthiest people in Britain, certainly doing better than Princess Margareth (Isn't that her name?).

One of the most popular royals Britain have had, may she rest in peace.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

skyhawk

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:25 am

Isn't it rather amazing that we have to argue and critisize each other over something like this. Whether you did or did not like the Queen Mother or any of the rest of the royal family, she was still someone to be respected. She tried to lead by example when London was being bombed by the Nazis, she kept her head held high and dignified. Something not many people do much of today. Yes, she was a frail old woman that had outlived so much, but why make such undignified comments? No matter how you feel personally, she was someone's mother. Think how you may feel if some of these things were being said of your mom. Why can we not at least be civil and wish her peace? I know that I do. May she rest in peace with our Lord.

yyz717

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:26 am

The QM was a living icon of one of the most enduring institutions in the world: British royalty; an institution instrumental in bringing democracy and rule of law to much of the world.

Whatever your opinion of the QM or royalty in general, the mere fact that you're conversing here on Anet in English is testimony to the powerful influence of that small island nation over our respective histories. British royalty & traditions brought prosperity to the early days of the US, Canada, Australia etc to which many subsequent non-Brits emigrated and flourished.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:26 am

Why can we not at least be civil and wish her peace

On an Internet forum? Riiiiiight. I'm sure the Queen is happy now, thanks to your clichéd comments on this forum.
Your bone's got a little machine

Thom@s

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:27 am

Amen Skyhawk.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

ryanb741

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:30 am

Rest in Peace, and God Bless you Ma'am  Sad
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

toady

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:34 am

KROC: You're right; her death is no sadder than anyone else's.
I don't mean to bash you, or to imply that you're ill-informed or ignorant but for many people, her passing has a poignancy that surpasses that of others'.

I am unashamedly a Royalist - not for any sentimental attachment to the individual members of the Royal Family - but for what the institution of the Monarchy means to my country.

I hope people here will understand that Britain has today lost part of its history.
I also hope that we'll not see any immature or mocking postings.

Arsenal@LHR

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:57 am

Very well said yyz717 and alpha 1.

She was a respected royal, an icon for the royal family and indeed for Britain. One of the more popular and well-loved royals. Great loss to our country.

R.I.P

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

skyhawk

Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:57 am

777236ER-If I offended you, I do apologize profusley. It was not my intention. I simply meant it as a respect to someones' passing, nothing else. Like I did say, I would not degrade your mom nor anyone elses'. At the very least I think she deserves that, can we at least agree there?

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:06 am

Fair enough Skyhawk, but I fail to see how sentiment on an Internet forum helps anyone.

Samurai 777

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:13 am

The Queen Mother was the widow of King George VI. She has kept together the dignity and the honor that is the Royal Family.

Even as she was the longest-lived memeber of the Royal Family, her loss is still a great one, especially to the United Kingdom and the members of the Commonwealth.

May she rest in peace.

skyhawk

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:13 am

It probably doesn't help anyone, but don't we have many, many topics that don't help, not are they supposed to help in the first place? So many of the discussions here are really inane, but we all(I use that definition loosely) keep coming back for more. I have felt sorrow when any group of people have suffered and it got mentioned here. Whether they were Americans, Brits, Jews, Muslims, Palestinians, or anybody else. No, I can't help in any way except to convey my words and if in some miniscule way it does help one person, all the better. If not, then I feel better for trying.

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:50 am

I am totally disgusted at the way some of you are shrugging off the death of HRH Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother!!!!

All I can say to those people is "I hope people feel the same when you die."

I have noticed a few of these terrible comments have come from UK citizens. If you feel this way you DO NOT deserve to be a citizen of the United Kingdom.

All right, I am the first to hold my hands up and say that I wan't the Monarcy to be abolished but in this hour of tragedy my thoughts & prayers are with the Royal family!!!

I hope you all feel the same as well!!!!

May God Bless HRH Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother!

I have a few words to say to the Royal family:
"God takes our loved ones from our homes but never from our hearts."

Rest In Peace your Royal Highness.

Hepkat

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:53 am

777236ER, maybe you're just not old enough to appreciate what the Queen Mum has done for her own country. There's a reason why she's so highly respected. Her subjects looked up to her in their darkest hour and she did not desert or disappoint them. She stood her guard, looked a falling bomb straight in the eye, and still managed to attend to the sick and dying. It's quite easy for you to make fun at her expense, but many Britons remember what they had to go through, and how much she meant to them. In my opinion, she was more a queen than her own daughter, who to this day will not shake her subjects' hands without gloves.

May she rest in peace.

KROC

Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:55 am

777236ER: I got your back.

racko

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:17 am

It must have been a really great experience to see 100 years of the life on this planet. The first 50 sad years full of war, and then 50 years full of peace in europe, and the growing european community.

Rest in peace, old lady.

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:18 am

Oh God! You mean Queen Elizabeth??

That must be hard on its people.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:20 am

All I can say to those people is "I hope people feel the same when you die."

Ooo, so someone I don't know will post negative things about me on an Internet forum?! I'm sure my spirit/soul in heaven/hell will be very very upset by that.

If you feel this way you DO NOT deserve to be a citizen of the United Kingdom.

Really? Because of these terrible (in your opinion) comments I don't deserve to be a citizen of the United Kingdom? I could have said worse things. For what it's worth, I wouldn't want the monarchy gone. But disliking a member of the monarchy makes me unfit to be British?

To everyone else, maybe she was a sweet old woman, but she was a sweet old woman who lived to 101 and got the best hospital and nursing treatment in Britain. My grandfather fought in the second world war, and did just as much as the Queen mother for this country. The difference is that my grandfather had to suffer the wroth of the NHS, and died at the age of 71 while waiting for an operation. How long did the Queen mother have to wait for nessecary operations? Was she forced to stay on a ward with 8 other people eating NHS "food"?

She was meant to serve us, the British citizens, yet did she give up her place in these exclusive hospitals for another British citizen? I don't think so.

After a media-induced frenzy every time she sneezed, it's no wonder that a lot of people (and there WERE a lot of people) got fed up with her. Who wants to hear about an old woman getting ill? Especially when it's the top story on the national news. Sure, big earthquakes, problems in the middle eats yada yada yada, but what's MORE important is that the Queen mother has got a cold!

She may have inspired a generation, but we have moved on.

go canada!

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:33 am

no, you have no right to say your british when you critise the royal family in this manner, you are insuting a lady who single-handily kept the country together during the abdication crisis.

she was also the one who wanted the royal family to stay in london during ww2,if the royal family left, morale would ahev dropped.

my grandfather and my family were in the wars and i will not forget what they did for my country but treating the queen mother in this way i unacceptable and frankly you are a disgrace to this country.

we are in mounring and let again you show no courage.

she was living history, if carry on the way you do im not surprised if you had people dancing on your grave, you heartless, cruel discipable oink.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:38 am

you are insuting a lady who single-handily kept the country together during the abdication crisis.

Bollocks.

she was also the one who wanted the royal family to stay in london during ww2,if the royal family left, morale would ahev dropped.

Aha. And because of that she deserves my sympathy? Are you implying that if they DID leave london, we would have lost the war?!

we are in mounring and let again you show no courage.

Courage = sympathy for the Queen mother? Right.

if carry on the way you do im not surprised if you had people dancing on your grave, you heartless, cruel discipable oink.

1. Oink?! LOL! Sorry, but that's very very funny. Oh, you're a wascilly wabbit!

2. I don't mind if people dance on my grave. I'll be dead. Will I care?

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:46 am

777236ER,

You can't blame the Queen Mother for your Grand fathers death. After all she was not in charge of the NHS it was Sir Winston Churchill.

Any way if you were King would you use the NHS??????

I think not!!!!!!

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:49 am

Monarch, my point is that my granddad did just as much for this country, yet was resigned to the NHS, when the Queen mother, who didn't fight for her country, didn't work (althought admittedly was a figurehead) got the best treatment possible.

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:50 am

Hepkat, we've had our tussels on here, but that was one of the finest things ever written on here. Well, well said, my friend.

And 777236ER, if your idea of the UK "moving on" is the likes of you: insensitive, self-centered little brats, who defend murderers on here all the time, but who belittle a woman who helped YOUR OWN COUNTRY get through the darkest hours it has ever faced, then the United Kingdom is doomed.

Fortunately, I think there's more good people in the UK than there are the likes of you.

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:54 am

I totally agree!!!!!!!!

We are a nation in mourning and one hopes that all of our thoughts & prayers are with the Royal family.

go canada!

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:57 am

didnt work, what do you call all the engagements, the chairty work and keeping the family together?

and yes we would ahve been far worse if the monarchy have left, think about it, morale would ahve dropped, morale was a major factor.

i wouldnt mind if she sat there all day, drank and didnt do anything but this woman was an inspiration and carried on until the end.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

toady

Sun Mar 31, 2002 5:59 am

777236ER: So what's your complaint?
Is it that The Queen Mother got ill, or that the media reported it? Are you fed up with her because of the media attention she received? Surely you should direct your anger at the media?

You wanna talk Grandfathers? OK, mine died aged 104. He got absolutely no special or exclusive medical care for his entire life. He had to "suffer" the NHS, just like everyone else. He had to share a ward with many others, he had to wait for treatment.
Are you going to be pissed off with my grandfather because he out-lived yours?

If you have any criticism of The Queen Mother, please express it here.
And by "criticism" I mean something other than saying that she was a privileged old lady.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:03 am

Now now, Alpha, no personal insults.

insensitive, self-centered little brats, who defend murderers on here all the time, but who belittle a woman who helped YOUR OWN COUNTRY get through the darkest hours it has ever faced, then the United Kingdom is doomed

Self-centred? Probably. I'm more important to myself than the Queen mother. Little brat, yeah, probably true. There are lots of other people who helped my country, and are helping them right now.

There was an interesting documentary (I think on channel 4) just before (i think) the news broke. It was about the Falklands War. The men and women who served in that war were heros for this country. Yet, their deaths seem to be less significant than the death of an old woman, whos death was expected, and who, you have to admit, didn't do THAT much for this country. There are many more people who did more for Britain than the Queen mother did.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:05 am

You wanna talk Grandfathers? OK, mine died aged 104. He got absolutely no special or exclusive medical care for his entire life. He had to "suffer" the NHS, just like everyone else. He had to share a ward with many others, he had to wait for treatment.
Are you going to be pissed off with my grandfather because he out-lived yours?

I'm pissed off because the Queen mother DID get special treatment.

Klaus

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:18 am

My condolences to Britain.

My impression was that she felt a genuine sense of responsibility for Britain and for her people. Impressive enough for me.

May she rest in peace.

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:19 am

Yet, their deaths seem to be less significant than the death of an old woman, whos death was expected, and who, you have to admit, didn't do THAT much for this country.

The truly sad thing here, 777236ER is that you CAN'T EVEN GRASP the importance of what she and His Royal Majesty did during The Blitz: it was their resolve not to leave, DESPITE the fact that their life of privelage would have made it easy for them to do so, as the Luftwaffe, and the V-1's were falling on London. They were basically saying to Hitler, and if you all will pardon the vulgarity "stick it up your ass, Adolph, we're staying put!", and it stiffened the resolve of the British People to NOT LET Hitler win.

It was her daily work of visiting the sick and wounded, and to even pitch in to dig through rubble from time to time, that made Britons damned proud of who they were during the rain from the skies. To be sure, the British people had a lot to do with that-and their courage helped inspire FDR to reach out to help America's birth country. But if not for the resolve of these two people, who lived such a "privelaged" life, Britian might, just might, not have been able to hold on in 1940/1941.

And reading that you're pissed that she did receive privelage, tells me that your jealous of this grand, little old lady!!. She helped Britian through one if it's darkest hours-what have you done that makes you think your entitled to such "privelage", except being the exceptional little snot you are?

JAL

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:19 am

May she rest in peace.
Work Hard But Play Harder

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:20 am

Of course she got special treatment! She was after all the Queen and then the Queen Mother!!!!!!

You did not answer my question "If you was King would you use the NHS?"

You are a disgrace to the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth- you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!!

May God have mercy on you!!!!!!!!

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:24 am

jealous of this grand, little old lady!!.

Not to be pedantic, but jealous of an old (now dead) woman who had blisters on her legs?

except being the exceptional little snot you are?

Fair enough. If I'm going to be a little snot I might as well be an exceptional little snot.

what have you done that makes you think your entitled to such "privelage

Personally, not that much. I'm still pretty young (way out of the Queen mum's league, although if i survive another 400 years I might be getting close) Although I do think I put a lot back into this country. I'm not going to justify my citizenship to you though.

The truly sad thing here, 777236ER is that you CAN'T EVEN GRASP the importance of what she and His Royal Majesty did during The Blitz: it was their resolve not to leave, DESPITE the fact that their life of privelage would have made it easy for them to do so, as the Luftwaffe, and the V-1's were falling on London. They were basically saying to Hitler, and if you all will pardon the vulgarity "stick it up your ass, Adolph, we're staying put!", and it stiffened the resolve of the British People to NOT LET Hitler win.

I CAN'T EVEN GRAP it can I? Wow. Tell me, if they had moved out of London, would the outcome have been much different? Not really. But tell me, if those who actually fought in the war decided not to fight, would the outcome have been much different? Almost definatly.

The royals are nothing special.

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:25 am

Being jealous of a very old and frail lady is very perfetic & sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:27 am

I wouldn't want to be a figurehead who lives in a world totally alien to the real world, and who gets treated incrediably well for doing nothing other than being born.

You are a disgrace to the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth- you should be ashamed of yourself!!!!!!

Ok, let me get this straight. By not liking the royals I'm a disgrace? That makes a LOT of people a disgrace, Monarch.

LH423

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:27 am

Maybe it's because I come from a country that has never recognized the royal family/queen/king as our Head of State, it's really just like hearing a celebrity has passed away. I'm inclined to agree with 777236ER that Queen Mum's death has had no real effect on my life other than me stopping to think to myself "oh, that's sad."

777236ER: Unfortunately, that's one of the drawbacks to a capitalistic, democratic society. The haves get what the have-nots do not. While, I'm not necessarily advocating Communism, you have to admit that one of the true reasons the Royal family gets "Royal" treatment is because they have a lot of money. Sorry about your grandfather. Mine passed away 13 months ago.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:31 am

LH423: I'm glad at least someone understands some of what I said. For what it's worth, I happen to believe that if someone has enough money they deserve special treatment medically etc. But only when this money has been earned. My grief is that the Royals get special treatment simply for being born.

MONARCH

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:38 am

Don't forget the Queen Mother was born a commoner!!!!

You are now putting words in my own mouth- You are a disgrace because you criticise a frail old lady for what she had done during WWII & because she got 'Special Treatment.'

GET A LIFE!!!!!!!

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:40 am

I CAN'T EVEN GRAP it can I? Wow. Tell me, if they had moved out of London, would the outcome have been much different?

Absolutely, it could have. You don't give enough creedence to the psychological state of mind back in Britian in 1940/41. Britian was practiaclly alone by the summer of '41, as the Low Countries and France had been unmercifully beaten by the Wermacht. There were daily air raids, daily V-1 raids, daily rumors of Invasion by the Germans. Had the Royal Family, or the government abandoned London, it would have been a disaster for Britian. When your leaders give up like that, you'll tend to give up, too-just ask the French, as the government there started to abandon Paris even before the Germans were there.

Maybe the Royals are "nothing special", but this one lady was more special in her little finger than you'll ever be in your whole life, simply because she, as a female, had more balls than you ever will.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:40 am

You are a disgrace because you criticise a frail old lady for what she had done during WWII & because she got 'Special Treatment.'

Look, one more time. Pleanty more people did more things than her. They got worse treatment by the state when they got older.

777236ER

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:42 am

simply because she, as a female, had more balls than you ever will.

*checks pants*

My god that must have been on freaky woman. No wonder she lived 587 years.

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:48 am

777236ER, you may have an actual pair of nuts, but they would crack and you'd be the FIRST to bolt if the bombs were to fall.

By "balls", I mean courage, fortitude, resolve. She had all of that in great supply. You on the other had, have absolutely none of that. That's what I mean when I say you have no balls.

And you can say what you want, it's pretty funny, in a pathetic sort of way, that you have so much jealousy for this woman simply because she was who she was, and you are who you are-a nothing.