An Unorthodox Idea: Performance Bonuses For Pols?

Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:32 am

Many private workplaces offer various incentives to encourage performance, ranging from sales commissions to gain-sharing bonuses to profit-sharing.

What if that were extended to elected representatives, by tying their bonuses to their country's performance in the Human Development Index, Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index or the World Competitiveness Report?

Klaus

RE: An Unorthodox Idea: Performance Bonuses For Pols?

Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:51 am

If you thought politicians were shortsighted now, then just introduce such a scheme and watch all long-term planning going down the drain...

yyz717

Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:51 am

Excellent idea.

Politicians need more accountability than the ballet box.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

cfalk

Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:33 am

Eliminate the professional political class. Strict term limits (only one), and once your term is over you must return to the private sector. That way politicians want to make sure that things are in good shape when they have to go out and make a living again.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

yyz717

Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:49 am

Yes, term limits are an excellent idea.

All Western countries have far too many professional pols.

Al Gore and Bob Dole.....hell, their home towns were Washington. Not Nashville or Russell KS.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.