Ndebele
Topic Author

How Many US States?

Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:55 am

Of how many states do the USA consist?

Some of you might say that's a silly question, but I'm a little confused. I used to think that there are exactly 50 states. Last week however, I watched a "Friends" episode, and Ross tried to name all 51 US states.  Confused Or was that meant to be a joke? If so, it was not obvious, and I think the number of US states is not a sort of "general education", especially when translating the episodes into other languages - here in Germany, most people can't name all German "Länder" or all members of the EU, some don't even know the *number* of "Länder"(16) / EU members(15)! How do you expect us to know the number of US states?!

I can already see some members posting waving flags of his/her respective state - please don't! It would be much more creative if somebody would be able not only to tell me the number of states, but also name all the states (without using a map, of course). I tried it once, and I found the names of 46 states.
But for the first, the number of states would be a good start.

Thanks for your help!

Sonic

RE: How Many US States?

Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:58 am

It is actually 50 states (48 + Alaska and Hawaii) and Puerto Rico, which is not a state (I believe, it is officially a colony). also there are many other such "colonies" -- Northern Mariana, Guam, Saipan, several islands in oceania.

Sonic

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:02 am

Alaska and Hawaii are also states, it may confuse you in the way I written it. Just theyare both farer from the main USA.

Sonic

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:06 am

I finally found a list of all dependant areas of the USA:
50 states and one district (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming),
American Samoa, Baker Island, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Wake Island

Ndebele
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:14 am

Thanks. So it's 50 states. Why did Ross search for 51 states? He's an academic, he knows how many states there are - and, most importantly, they did not mention in the end of the episode that there are only 50 states. This is all very confusing! Did anybody else see the episode I'm talking about?

Sonic

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:31 am

In the official USA there are fifty states and one distrcit (Columbia District, where Washington is). Maybe he mixed that district with state.
Other reason might be that he mixed Puerto Rico as state. Puerto Rico is, unlike most of Reefs and Attols in Pacific (except Northern Mariana), a place where human lives and not some small island with just airstrip or military base.

vickybiccy

Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:53 am

In my stressful final term at uni I couldn't sleep and so to help me nod off I tried to remember all the states...

It was dull... but it worked!!!

Sleepy

pacificjourney

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:10 am

You all forgot Canada, that makes 50.5 doesn't it ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

McRingRing

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:13 am

No because Texas doesn't count and Alabama is only 0.5. Canada gets the full 1.0 (only because of the massive land area). So it all works out.
B==============) ~~~~

McRingRing

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:14 am

Oops! screwey math.

I guess Canada is stuck with only 0.5. Sorry!
B==============) ~~~~

Wed Apr 10, 2002 2:57 am

@ Vickybiccy : That is a great idea. I might want to try that tonight as well. Hope it works !!!!!

Ndebele
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:04 am

@ B737-700: Somebody having "Abitur" exams?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:30 am

How do you know Ndebele ?

Ndebele
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:20 am

Don't worry, B737-700! Just a little bit of "Das Leben des Galilei", "Die Leiden des jungen Werther", "Educating Rita" and "Lord of the flies" (some things will never change...). A few weeks later you have your 2.6 abitur, Bundeswehr will decide that you are "T5 - untauglich", and this combination is just good enough to become a check-in agent for Swissair... this is at least what happened to me  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

boeingnut

Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:29 am

"Marge, may I play Devil's Advocate?" - Homer Simpson

To be a TOTAL tightass about things, there are 48 states and 2 commonwealths (Pennsylvania and Massachusetts). The only difference I can see between that and a state is in the name, but you will never, EVER, see anything that says the state of Massachusetts on.

Yes, its stupid, but TECHNICALLY, its true.

Okey, you can all start calling me silly names now  Laugh out loud
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

Takkyu_Ishino

Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:55 am

you forgot the 51st state....

"Israel"  Big grin

Hepkat

Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:56 am

Wait a sec, I thought Virginia was also a commonwealth? I seem to have a vague memory of once looking at a friend of mine's Virginia drivers license, and I could have sworn it said Commonwealth of Virginia. Then again, I could be wrong.

Sonic

Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:58 am

Isn't Northern Mariana also officially known as "Commonwealth of Northern Mariana"? Search for that in CIA factbook, I believe it is so.

Hurricane

Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:01 am

Beat me to it, Hepkat. Virginia is a commonwealth, so that means 47 states, 3 commonwealths, and America Jr., Canada  Laugh out loud

jessman

Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:33 am

There are more commonwealths than that
Kentucky is one at least.
I'll search for more later  Smile

LH423

Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:38 am

Actually, there are 4 Commonwealths: Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. There's almost no difference between a "state" and a "commonwealth" other than slight differences in the way our state constitution was written. And is that wasn't confusing enough almost every aspect of our government is referred to as "state". IE, the "state legislature" and most importantly, our grand "State House".

And although it's not a "commonwealth" in sense of the before-mentioned, Puerto Rico is officially known as the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Hepkat

Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:10 am

My friend from the Commonwealth of Virginia (since we're getting all official and all) told me that technically, if Virginia were ever to become unhappy with the way things are being run, they could secede from the union, and become their own State, as in country. This also means she would no longer be an American citizen, but a Virginia citizen. Of course this would set a whole barage of legalities into motion. Would Virginia citizens need visas to travel into the U.S.? Would we charge them a toll or something? How about the military? And trade? Could we force a trade embargo on Virginia because they start acting all snotty? And what about Virginian that pissed me off on I-95 the other day, could we deport their asses back to Virginia?

Hurricane

Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:14 am

Any state could do that at any time, Hepkat. That's what all the southern states did during the Civil War...I thought I heard somewhere that Key West, FL secceded from the US for something like 1 minute to protest something and ask for 'foreign' aid...

L-188

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:07 am

And truth be told the Alaska Statehood Act, which made the Territory of Alaska an so called American "state" is invalied because it never allowed for a choice to become a Commonwealth such at Puerto Rice, or to seek independence. The statehood act was the third of fourth time that it had been presented before the people of Alaska and the only reason why it passed was that the Native population where denied the vote in that election. They had been allowed all the other times.

Today the Alaskans are involved in a non-violent stuggle to regain their freedom and domination from an uncaring Washington D.C. Eventually we will succeed and Alaska will be the proud nation we are entitled to be.

The Alaska Independence Party
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

travelin man

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:14 am

The eskimos are seceding?

L-188

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:21 am

They prefered to be called the tropically impared

yyz717

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:26 am

actually they prefer latitude-dominant.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

travelin man

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:26 am

I asked the Eskimo question tongue-in-cheek, but is this "Alaska Independence" site for real? Is there seriously a movement to secede from the States. I have serious doubts it will ever happen, considering Alaska is the most important domestic source of oil and the federal government owns something like 99% of the land.

yyz717

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:29 am

Canada will gladly take Alaska! (I guess).

Big thumbs up

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

redngold

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:32 am

I'm doing all of this without a map, encyclopedia, almanac or other reference material:

There are 50 states if you define them as "admitted to the Union." There are only 46 if you discount those which identify themselves as "Commowealths" -- Virginia, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Kentucky.

There is one official Commonwealth by Federal definition: Puerto Rico. There are several "territories": U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Bikini Atoll, Guantanamo Bay (Cuba), Johnston Atoll.

Here are the fifty states, relatively in order North to south, east to west:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Ohio
West Virginia
Kentucky
Tennessee
Alabama
Mississippi
Michigan
Indiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
Idaho
Utah
Nevada
Arizona
Washington
Oregon
California
Alaska
Hawaii

And there you have it.
redngold
Up, up and away!

L-188

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:33 am

Actually...I predict a war for the hearts and minds of the disputed Yukon Territory.

yyz717

Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:44 am

The only people who seem to travel to the Yukon are German tourists. Condor 763's every summer into the tiny Whitehorse airport. I guess they're looking for Klondike and wide open spaces. The only other flights are AC 732's from YVR.

airsicknessbag

RE: Ndebele/B737-700

Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:09 pm

Oh, Abitur time again? Poor poor pupils, can´t enjoy the 50th birthday celebrations of our beloved BaWue  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ndebele, is invalidity necessary for becoming an SR check in agent or just optional?  Wink/being sarcastic Big grin Just kidding, I actually envy everybody with T5 (well, only the healthy ones).

Regarding states: When she joined the US (in 1845?), Texas reserved the right to divide herself into 5 states whenever they wish - so there might be 54 states tomorrow.

Daniel Smile

Lt-AWACS

Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:56 pm

yes Daniel when the Republic of Texas, joined with the USA (in late 1845, really not until late Jan 46) it reserved the right to split into up to 5 states if it wished (without the need of congresional approval). Also the Texas flag flies at the Same Height as the US flag (it is even in our Honor Guard handbook).

Ciao and Hook 'em,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

jwenting

Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:34 am

There is indeed strong sentiment in Alaska towards cesession. Not just amont the so called "Natives" but among other groups too.
Many feel they are left in the cold (and not just literally) by the USA and would be better off without Washington breathing down their backs and taking their money without much of a return in investment.
I wish I were flying

Hepkat

Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:50 am

But what other alternative is there besides secession? Can Alaska really survive on its own as a country? Does it have industry, commerce? Can the economy there survive only on oil?

Forgive the many questions, I've never been to Alaska, but from what I've seen on tv, it seems to be mostly natural wilderness.

N312RC

Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:13 am

Hepkat --

OIL OIL OIL!
N/A

L-188

Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:38 am

Hepkat....I am going to predict that we could see a population drop by as much as a 1/3 if Alaska where to succed. There are some people who are just hung up on the US. A drop in population will hopefully cause less need for government supported services.

I am sure between oil and gas revenue, monies received for continued use of Alaskan bases and land by the US military, Elimination of Seattle based fishing fleets from Alaskan waters. I think we will do allright.

We obviously won't have a large military industrial complex to feed.