lehpron

How Does One Charge A Particle?

Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:31 am

Like if I wanted to give the ambient air a positive charge, do I spray it with ammonia and put it near a magnet perhaps?

How could it be done? Or can it be done?  Confused
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

lubcha132

RE: How Does One Charge A Particle?

Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:22 am

The fact that it has valence electrons makes it "charged". That means it will try to fill its outermost electron level and become stable.

For instance- Na (sodium) and C(h)l(orine)
Sodium has one electron. the closest stable electron configurization is no electrons, so it has one more electron than it needs which means it has a +1 charge.
8 electrons is the most there can be in one layer, and chlorine has 7, so it has one empty spot and a -1 charge.
Na (+1) + Cl (-1)= NaCl (stable)
The electron from the sodium is shared with the chlorine so it will have 8 in its outer layer and the sodium will be empty.

Hope this helps
Josh

42nd Street Shuttle
Times Square-Grand Central Terminal

lehpron

Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:36 am

Thank you for clearing that part up, it seems that most elemental charge interactions are natural, but how about giving a charge to a compound, for example, that does not already have a charge, like CO2, O2, N2, etc.?

It seems that those compounds have already satisfied their valences and that it would require more energy to place additional charges on it. Is there a simple way to do that or am I missing something?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

lehpron

Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:54 am

I asked only because I cannot figure out how the "Ionic Breeze" by Sharper Image works.

http://www.air-filter-purifiers.com/

Can anyone help me out? Anything would do.

Vulindlela

Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:12 pm

I feel stupid now. ......Even stupider now that I cant find the straight vertical line on my keyboard to make the confused face?????
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

Vulindlela

Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:17 pm

Ah Ha!  Confused  Confused  Confused
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

L-188

Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:54 pm

It is even simpler to charge a particle.

You just send him or her the bill!!! Laugh out loud Laugh out loud
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Vulindlela

Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:38 pm

Thanks L-188, maybe I'm not so dumb after all  Big thumbs up

FDXmech

Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:00 pm

>>>How does one charge a particle?<<<

Well, standard practice dictates either bill him or request COD.
You're only as good as your last departure.

EGGD

Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:10 pm

Vulindlela - you have even less chance of doing this then:  Sleepy

American_4275

Lehpron

Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:25 am

I think it's hilarious that you posted this topic about the Ionic Breeze cuz I saw the informercial for it yesterday and then I saw this topic yesterday and I was thinking how it was a coincidence that I was wondering the same thing when I saw the commercial! Never bothered to open it until now, though  Smile

American_4275

Transactoid

Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:21 am

To be accurate, you don't charage a particles. Different particles have different charges. You create charge by forming an imbalance in negative and positive particles.

Protons carry positive charge, and electrons carry negative charge. A surplus in electrons results in a negative charge. A lack of electrons (so a surplus of protons) results in a positive charge.

What that device probably does is positively charges the filter via an electric current. This positive charge extracts electrons (opposites attract) from the air passing through it, leaving the air with a defficiency of electrons, and hence, a positive charge.

Vulindlela

Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:26 am

Sleepy  Sleepy  Sleepy HA! If I can find the line once then I can use it twice EGGD. NowI will never forget.

lehpron

Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:20 am

I first saw the commercials back in January, back then I was like "how the hell man?"

Well, I know that this device does what it does with less energy than a calculator within a distance of 2 inches, how the hell man? I tried looking up the technology they use, something called Zenion effect, on the US patent search and came up with this link:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=pall&s1=Zenion&OS=Zenion&RS=Zenion

It is interesting to note that it was recently invented, talk about a new product!