cba

Anti-French Sentiment

Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:54 am

I have been noticing a lot of anti-French sentiment on these boards over the past month or two, and I must ask, what gives? People such as KROC are constantly bashing the French, and making stupid comments for no real apparent reason. What do you people have against the French?

McRingRing

RE: Anti-French Sentiment

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:06 pm

You're missing something here, Cba. I'm sure our "anti-french" contributors will set you straight.
B==============) ~~~~

Alpha 1

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:09 pm

What's the smallest book in the world? The book of French war heroes.

Oh, is that what you're talking about?  Big grin

IMissPiedmont

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:13 pm

I'll say something nice about the French.

At least they are not from a certain country to their east that has conquered them twice in the past 75 years.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

BWIrwy4

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:22 pm

Why don't you just surrender, Cba. Big grin

Vulindlela

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:23 pm

I have never been to France, but I have nothing but respect for the art and culture that this country has produced, and I hope I will be lucky enough to visit sometime soon.

...that reminds me...why don't they have fireworks shows at Euro Disney?
Because whenever they shoot them off the French try to surrender  Big thumbs up
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

Vulindlela

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:26 pm

Ah...and that reminds me... what did the mayor of Paris say to the German army when they marched into town in WW11?
"Table for one hundred thousand?"  Crying
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

cba

Wed Apr 17, 2002 12:46 pm

Uh, the Germans only broke through in WWII. The French managed to keep them out during WWI and the Franco Prussian War.

BWIrwy4

Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:02 pm

Those weren't exactly stellar showings for France, though.

yyz717

Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:04 pm

Well, a recent example of French attitude that did not go down well in Canada:

A French mayor of a town near Paris that is being earmarked for the 3rd Paris airport said that a Canadian WW2 war grave would have to be relocated. Upon hearing the protests from Canada (who lost many sons fighting for French freedom), he responded with anger about people living in the past. This created a minor storm in Canada.

An example.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

FlyBoeing

Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:07 pm

Cba, the Germans broke through in the Franco Prussian War too. Check your history books.

They also have 12% unemployment in favor of social welfare, they defend their culture instead of going with the cultural flow. They prate and pretend that there is something special about being French when there is no intrinsic value to wearing nothing but black, smoking, being a Communist, and making a big snit about your cheese and wine.

There's nothing particularly good about being an American, either, but we don't pretend that. We don't have a department of American cultural defense. When our culture changes, it changes. The French cling to their Napoleonic past like a drowning man to a life preserver.

They got us into World War II due to their shocking incompetence at defeating a foe that was outnumbered and equipped with tanks so bad that they broke down after 300 miles of advance.

They got us into Viet Nam due to their exporting their shocking military incompetence to Southeast Asia. Somehow a nation that prided itself on its resistance to colonial oppressors didn't take a lesson from the ones it gave to the Germans.

The French, along with the Russian apologists, use the U.N as a forum to break U.N rules and absolve Saddam Hussein of his obligation to lose his weapons of mass destruction.

Ahhhh..... I guess I need to calm down. I need to take a bike ride in the forest. Which reminds me:

Why are there trees on the Champs Elysee? So the Germans can march in the shade!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Vulindlela

Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:51 pm

http://www.manufan.co.uk/beachsoccer/Richmond2000/00071599.jpg
Here you go Cba-I must say something nice about France before I go to bed.  Smile

RealHigh

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:12 pm

Lets not forget the French and the British contribution to aviation.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Philippe noret

Click for large version

Photo © Anton Pettersson

Click for large version

Photo © Eduard Marmet

How successful was the United States SST program?

yyz717

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:22 pm

The American SST was actually MORE successful, because it lost less money. The American govt has the foresight to cancel it and not waste any more tax-payers dollars.

The Concorde was a commercial disaster. UK & French tax payers pay thru the nose for the Concorde. A minor technical achievement at great cost.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

QANTASforever

Yyz717........

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:37 pm

Same thing with Australian graves there too. I think you'll be glad to hear that Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson is in Paris talks with Jaques Chiraq (apologies for spelling) on this very issue. lets hope.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

yyz717

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:40 pm

An incredible lack of respect for foreign troops who fought for France's freedom.

With examples like this.....some anti-French sentiment is understandable.

cfalk

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:46 pm

The French have managed to piss me off lately.

I live in Geneva - in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. A lot of our goods come from France.

I have a sizable collection of DVD's. DVD's are cool because you can watch a movie in its original language or in another one, plus various subtitle choices.

In France, I am seeing more and more that American films published in France on DVD will only have the French soundtrack, or have the English soundtrack available only accompanied by french subtitles - you can't switch them off. They are trying to force all consumers to use French, rather than watch a movie in its original version.

France is the only country I've seen do this. Such insecurity...

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

BWIrwy4

Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:50 pm

Oh, I don't know about that. The French Canadians are equally awful. They actually have language police that go around with measuring tapes, making sure that the French on billboards is at least twice as large as the Englist translation.

saintsman

Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:19 pm

If there is one thing that pisses the Brits off is that the French use European law only when it suits them. For example they ban British beef because they say its unsafe but quite happily export their own when they also have a mad cow problem.

The list is endless.

KROC

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:20 pm

RealHigh. Your contribution was "stellar" as always.  Yeah sure

CBA. Why do I hate the French? I had no idea I had to answer to you. Funny is I started a thread on why there is so much Anti-U.S. Sentiment, I would be labled a crybaby. Last time I checked, one ot the biggst area's of Anti-U.S. Sentiment outside of the big desert was France. Hmmm. I wonder why this is. See, when I studied history, and WWI and II, Germany occupied France both times. Maybe my history books were different though. Hell, in WWII, France practically laid over for Germany, and teh French produced more war materials for the Germans than the German's did themselves. France has also shown I won't say support to terrorism but maybe at least favoritism. They are cowards. The Shoe Bomber...they were worried about the U.S. giving him the Dealth Penalty. Yeah, boo hoo, because if he had his way, he wouldn't have given his own Death Penalty to about 260 innocent people. I'm sure by know you have heard the case with the UTA DC-10 bombing in 1989 as mentioned to you in an email by my man VS340. France denied the U.S. their Air Space in launching attacks on Libya or was it durning the Gulf (To early for me to be positive). What is that? Cowardice. As of recent, The anti-Jewish/Israeli attitudes flowing out of France are deplorable as well. I'm talking about high ranking government official's. Ambassador to Israel or what ever his position is, dropping a few anti-semetic remarks a month or two back. Very Nice. All from a bunch of people who would be German if it wasn't for the U.S. and Great Britian.

Also, you have to realize that (well until now that you started crying like a little frenchmen errrrrrrrrr girl), most of my France remarks were made in jest. It was funny. It is funny. Hard to argue with a country who just roll's over and doesn't fight. hell, Poland made put up more of an effort against Germany than France even thought of. I will stand fast on my opinions of France until they change. Until they stop worring about what happens to murders errrrrrrrrrrr terrorists. Until they stop hating just for the sake of hating.....with no reason. Oh but let me guess.....this will just make me and angry or ignorant American right? Better find someone else to call out there skillet.

707CMF

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:21 pm

Boy, I feel like I'm on the wrong web site !

>Cfalk : I'll have to disagree with you on the DVD topic. When I was living in the UK, I use to buy a lot of DVDs for me an my familly. As I prefer to watch movies in English, with English subtitles (it helps a lot), I was quite happy with the cheap UK DVDs. However, when it comes to buying DVDs for my parents, who don't speak English quite well, I realised that it was next to impossible to find DVDs with French soundtrack. In UK, you usually have English soundrack, and then Suomi, or Hungarian, sometimes Polish or Czech. Almost never is there a French or German or Italian or Spanish soundtrack. Have they even realised that those are their closest neighbours ?

707CMF

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:24 pm

ahem. Hum.

Kroc.

La Fayette.

Does it ring a bell ?

eal401

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:51 pm

KROC,

Not starting a war here but:

Funny is I started a thread on why there is so much Anti-U.S. Sentiment, I would be labled a crybaby.

And so you would do to others complaining of any anti-European threads!

Other than that, as a Brit, I do agree with most of your comments. The French detest us anyway, so I'm only returning the compliment.

Anyway, aside from that! I'm surprised that, as you say, the French gave a damn about the Shoe Bomber seeing that he was British. Would have thought they'd have been trying to kill them off themeselves! Personally, speaking as a Brit again, I'd have been quite happy for him to have been strung up in, let's say, Times Square, and let the NYC population do whatever they wanted! But that's another topic really!

KROC

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:18 pm

And so you would do to others complaining of any anti-European threads!

Eal401, not sure what you mean by that, but no matter what, there will always be crybabies. There will always be Anti-European, French, U.S., Israeli, British, ect Sentiment coming from somewhere. In this case, what I am saying is that America/Americans tend to be the focal point of the large portion of it, and allot of it outside the desert comes from France. Why? That's all I am saying. I'm not exactly Anti-French persay, but at least I back up my negative feelings with something more that "Because I said so", unlike allot of other people.

Klaus

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:36 pm

Summarily denouncing an entire nation is just stupid.

Failing to see the difference between generations, between government and the people and between individuals is an affliction that embarrasses the one who utters these stupid remarks.

No nation is entirely above ridicule; And none deserves to be reduced to that.

It´s is just a question of common decency.

Banco

Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:42 pm

Actually, I do recall something which was quite amusing. It was a French architect complaining about how British cities had failed to preserve their historic centres, comparing them unfavourably with the French ones. There followed a short period of disbelief, and then someone pointed out to him that British cities had been flattened by bombing, unlike French ones, although those responding were kind enough to refrain from pointing out why this was so.

Cue embarassed, and backtracking, Frenchman! Big grin

As for anti-French sentiment, most of the French people I know would happily discount the views of the English, just as we would do anti-English views from the French. We've been fighting each other for a thousand years, this is just an extended ceasefire. Big grin

An episode of "Yes, Prime Minister" summed this up most humourously, arguing that Britain only possessed nuclear weapons because the French had them too. Whilst we might be allies now, there was no point in taking any chances....
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

sebolino

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:34 pm

Damned !

KROC hates me because I'm a coward.
The average American is definitely an idiot !

KROC

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:42 pm

Sebolino, I don't Hate you just because you are French. I don't know you, I can't judge you. What I am judging is the basics about France. It's actions and attitudes. When you drop crap like "The Average American is definitely an idiot!" that only backs up my stance. Read what I said. Anything I said was about France as a whole. I can't judge each person in France. Leftseat86 on here is cool as anything to me. He's French. What now Sebolino.....The typical French imbicile. (I can sling nonsense too.)

sebolino

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:50 pm

KROC wrote not long ago:

- "Why do I hate the French? I had no idea"
- "They are cowards"
- "Until they stop hating just for the sake of hating.....with no reason"

Yeah, I read what you wrote KROC. And that's even funnier with your last post.

Alpha 1

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:59 pm

Sebolino, a bit sensetive, aren't we? You're one who constantly slings less-than-favorable remarks about Americans on here all the time. What? Can't take the same medicine? Awww, too bad for you.

Fact is that France is an ungrateful nation, especially when it comes to the humiliation of having to be rescued by the Brits and the Yanks in WWII. There's nothing worse than the ingratitude of a nation that has been saved. Especially if it was France.

sebolino

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:06 pm

It's quite "funny", this type of thread comes regularly on different forums.
The main argument to hate France turns about the fact that France was occupied during 4 years by the German army. Strange.

And the Americans, who are so strong and so proud, don't say a single world about the Genocide of the Indians - very brave to kill them all with fire arms, and to steal their territory -, not a single word about the defeat in Vietnam, not a single word about their courage against the Communists under the MacCarthysm, not a single word about the Apartheid in the states against Black people ...

The only historical reference is the victory against the axis. Of course, the French Resistance was useless, that's well known ...

McRingRing

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:30 pm

Sebolino: this thread is for bashing France. If you want to try to bash another country, start your own thread!!
B==============) ~~~~

L-188

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:32 pm

I'll drop a name.....

Ira Einhorn
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Banco

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:32 pm

Oh, thanks a lot, Mcringring. Anti-English thread, here we come... Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

NZ767

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:38 pm

....and I'll drop a name.
Rainbow Warrior!!

Btw, some of those war graves are ours (NZ) too.
Ungrateful Pricks!!  Pissed

L-188

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:44 pm

Actually the Rainbow Warrior is one of the things I respect the French for!!!

It isn't their fault one of the granola crunchers ran back on the boat to get his undeveloped film.

Sinking boats are like houses on fire. When you escape from one you don't run back into it....

It is just common sense
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ryanb741

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:50 pm

France - with ten votes you are The Weakest Link.

Goodbye.

Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

McRingRing

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:56 pm

Banco: From a Frenchman? Naahhh...

Ryanb741: Damn, I'd take the smelliest French chick (even with hairy pits) over Anne Robinson anyday!! Big grin
B==============) ~~~~

Matt D

Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:42 pm

Need I say more?

KROC

Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:57 pm

Ahhh Seboline, where to start. Let me begin by agreeing whole heartedly with Alpha1. Me and you have been into it before because of the amount of Anti-American crap you sling around on these forums. Maybe I should add hypocrites to my list of reasons to be against France.

Next, a list of 3 of my reasons to have an unfavorable opinion against France that you felt the need to address, yet you didn't. You just said they were funny. Uhm okay. Thats some hard hitting commentary Sebolino. Way to back up your opinions. You make my line about feeling a certain way "Because I said so" more accurate than I thought possible.

Now, let me address some of your questions raised against America, even though you have not addressed one issue that has been raised to you about France (could that be that dreaded cowardice in action?). The main arguement to hate France is not based on the fact they rolled over to the Germans. Funny how on this alone I ellaborated to the fact that while under occupation in WWII, the French made more war materials for the Germans, than the Germans themselves. Funny how you ignored that. Next, the American Indians. You act like all American's are just down with what has happened to them. I think it is deploarable. Sad thing is, in 2002, what is done is done. I can't travel back intime and change anything. I personally think it is very unfortunate, and the simple fact that Indian's are on reservations is deplorable. But I suppose that France has never mistreated anyone right?

Vietnam. When I am critisizing France, you want me to drop some bombs about America's basic "loss" in Vietnam? Last time I checked, I hadn't met anybody that claimed America won that war. Hey, didn't we actually take that over from the French, because once again, there ineptitude caused yet another military defeat there as well? Anyway, what do you want said about it. You think that America couldn't have won if we dropped an A-Bomb, or maybe just bombed and bombed the NK from sea and air? It was an unpopular war. Whether or not America could have won or not will never ne known. For all intents and purposes it was a military dissaster. So what? Was it a World conflict that effected more or less everyone? Nope.

MacCarthyism. Okay, this affects you how? This was in America. Yes it is a mark on America. No country is perfect. The fear of Communism and the Russians gripped the nation. Again, how does this effect you as a Frenchman? Remember, it was America's Arm's Race with Russia that most likely kept Russia errrr the U.S.S.R. from trying to expand across Europe.

Apartheid in the Southern States? Are you for real? Again, this effects you how? Also, last time I checked there was no Apartheid in the Southern States. Yes there was and is racism, bigotry, and lots of violence due to it all. In the 50's and 60's the images of the blacks getting beaten, killed, ect that were shown around the world was indeed a huge embarrasment. Nothing can excuse what happened, or make it seem in a better light. The thing is, as the world becomes more civilised, something called progress takes over. While things still aren't peachy, they are getting better. Racism will almost surely exsist on some level or in some form. Again, I ask you this. The French never mistreated anyone right? Napoleon never killed or tourched anyone when he was trying to take over Europe right?

So, as for your "Historical Reference of the Axis Defeat", that means nothing. Especially since 80% of the examples I gave you about not thinking favorably of the French are you know, recent. Funny how you don't address any of the issues I raised in here.

Alpha 1

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:21 am

And from you, Sebolino, not a word about the fact that Yanks died at Normandy to save France; not a word about the fact that Vietnam was a FAILED French venture before the Americans got there-if France had just gotten rid of it's colonial aspirations there, French and American boys wouldn't have lost their lives; not a word about the bravery of Americans at Utah and Omaha Beach, or at Iwo Jima, or Guadalcanal or the Battle of The Bulge or at Midway.

swissgabe

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:37 am

Would rather go to France than USA. Just because the French arguments are much more usefull than the American one's...

Following reasons given:

Long live the Concorde!
France 1 - USA 0

Vietnam (both lost and both did go there because of their own interest and by their own willing)
France 0 - USA 0

Culture
France 2 - USA 0

Boeing (thinking about 707, 747 etc)
France 0 - USA 1

Airbus
France 1 - USA 0

Politics to other nations (actually both should get minus points, lets say F -1 / U -2)
France 0 - USA 0

Supporting other nations (thinking also to the Department Outre Mer)
France 1 - USA 0

Worldwide Tourist Destinations No. 1
France 1 - USA 0

TGV
France 1 - USA 0

Gives a TOTAL of
France 7 - USA 1

LONG LIVE THE PEACEFULL NATIONS and the people willing to live in peace with others without killing every one who is against you.

Please feel free to continue my ranking I started...

Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

777236ER

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:03 am

Swissgabe:

Maybe, but we have people who aren't French, so we win  Big thumbs up

<---the French with British cows.
Your bone's got a little machine

BWIrwy4

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:06 am

Not a fan of the froggies, eh 777236ER?  Big thumbs up

McRingRing

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:12 am

Hygiene
USA 5 - France 0

Berets
USA 0 - France 1

Humor
USA 5 - France -3

Scarves
USA 0 - France 1

Cowardess
USA 0 - France 5

Bocce
USA 0 - France 1

at 10-8, it's a close one.
B==============) ~~~~

777236ER

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:16 am

Oh, I'm only joking BWIrwy4. They're being bastards with our beef though.
Your bone's got a little machine

BWIrwy4

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:16 am

France wins 5 points for cowardice.  Wow! Anyone else see a problem with this score?

Alpha 1

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:18 am

How about wars won?
The US is like 12-1-1, and Frances is like 2-8. They're out of the Pennant race.

BWIrwy4

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:18 am

That's okay. I not a fan of them either.  Smile

McRingRing

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:20 am

no problem with the score. it's my spelling that sucks.

dictionary 1 - mcringring 0  Sad
B==============) ~~~~