TNboy
Topic Author

Is This Why The Internet Was Invented?

Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:53 pm

I have a cousin who is on an assignment in China for a year. I'm planning to visit her next month. Talking to her on the phone last night, she asked if I could bring over some Nivea deodorant, as the Chinese version was pretty awful. After a look in the stores, I sent her an email today asking if she used the stick or roll-on version.
Then it struck me. What a ludicrous question to send across cyberspace. Is this why the internet was invented?
What's the silliest qustion you have asked anyone on the net - or been asked by anyone? (The subject of this post doesn't count!)
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

eal401

RE: Is This Why The Internet Was Invented?

Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:59 pm

I've had someone ask about what I was doing at lunchtime. Only thing is, they sit about 1 metre away from me!!

roguetrader

Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:53 pm

I've had people, mostly females, try to use email and articles on the internet to probe my feelings. They have to use this method because I rarely accept incoming phone calls and don't listen when people are talking to me face to face.

Here's one that has come up a lot:

"How would you feel if I asked you to cut down on your drinking?"

or

"How would you feel if we spent a quiet evening at home together, intead of you going off with your friends and ignoring me?"

or

"How would you feel if instead of you drinking, gambling, and watching sports all weekend we went to a nice dinner and a movie and maybe shopped for curtains?"

or

"Instead of you spending 110% of our income on drinking and gambling, how would you feel if I started a savings account with 1% of your paycheck?"

This is the kind of ridiculous inquisition I have to put up with day in and day out. My email questions torture me so much that it often makes me want to run away and hide - like in Australia or somewhere equally obscure.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

TNboy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:12 pm

They use the internet to probe your feelings? Are there no cattle-prods in Dallas?
I'm sure we could hide you in Australia. And as we are a day ahead, they wouldn't know you were missing until yesterday - or tomorrow - or....oh, shit, now you've confused me. Damn internet!
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

tbar220

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:30 am

Why don't you just ask Al Gore, he would probably know  Laugh out loud
NO URLS in signature