Takkyu_Ishino
Topic Author

German Language

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:40 am

what do you think of the german language? some people say it sounds harsh but I Personally don't think so and I love it !

blink182

RE: German Language

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:55 am

Nein, Deutsche ist sehr gut! Ich lerne Deutsche in der Schule. Ich komme aus die USA.

Translation: No, german is very good! I lern german in school. I am from the USA.

I am learning german in school right now, and I love it. Amazingly, I thought it sounded a little soft compared to what I thought it would be, however words like "Frei zeit" or "free time" sound somewhat harsh, but not too bad.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

blink182

Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:55 am

One more thing to add-

Not too shabby for an American!

blink

lindy field

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:02 am

German is ok if it's not being screamed at you by a police officer. Dutch actually sounds a lot worse. The Dutch word for happy, "gelukkig" is a good case in point.

Takkyu_Ishino
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:04 am

ich bein von frankfreich!
ich liebe futbol und party

i learned german from my numerous trips there

Hepkat

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:15 am

At first I thought German sounded very harsh, but after living in Vienna, I can actually differentiate between the various dialects. To me, Austrian German sounds a bit softer but also slow and much more sing-songy. The German German sounds more rigid, sharp and crisp, while the Austrian version can sometimes be very slurred. Forget about Swiss German, I have no idea what category that falls into.

But, if you really want to know which language sounds harsh, it's gotta be Dutch. The other day I was flipping through my satellite channels, and I found this channel and started watching it. I knew the language was German, but for some strange reason I had a really hard time understanding it. I had to listen very carefully, and even with all that effort, I could only understand 25% of what they were saying. So I concluded it must be some strange dialect, perhaps somewhere near the Swiss/Austrian border. Then they flashed some words on the screen and I realized it was Dutch! Damn, it sounded like war!

Vulindlela

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:19 am

http://www.bdsnett.no/klaus/twain/  Big thumbs up
German is a beautiful language.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

advancedkid

RE: Blink And Hepkat German Language

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:41 am

Wish you all the best, Blink, with your German.
I chose not to correct what you have written.
I think this is your school teacher's job.
Hepkat, I enjoyed your remarks very much  Smile/happy/getting dizzy!
Hepkat, Do you recognize someone from Hamburg
or even further north?
Regards,
Advanced

Hepkat

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:22 pm

Advanced, my hearing isn't quite that refined, yet. I can definitely tell that someone's from the north or south of Germany. I can tell if someone's from the west or south of Austria. But I can't really say which city someone comes from exactly. I think I'll need a few more years for that!

But I've come a long way. When I first came here, I couldn't tell the difference between an Austrian and German!

Vulindlela

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:22 pm

Yes Blink, I too wish you all the best in your German studies. It is good for young Americans to take an interest in foreign language, something that not many americans of any age do.
"If you take everything I've accomplished in my entire life and condense it down into 1 day, it looks decent!"

advancedkid

RE:Hepkat German Language

Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:59 pm

HI Hepkat,
Thanks for replying. I agree with your
remarks about the different German dialects
you mentioned. I grew up in northern Germany
myself and guess what??!!! I 'd take a girl
with a Viennese dialect anytime as a wife.
Hopefully it would happen one day!!!
If not, I'd then prefer a girl from either northern
Germany or a girl whom I'd teach German myself  Smile/happy/getting dizzy!
Regards,
Advanced

IMissPiedmont

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:37 pm

I am not at all prejudiced. "You vill agree wis me, I know vat I am talking about!"

I can imitate Hitler's niece, I mean my ex mother in law, better verbally than I can in person.

PS : Don't flame me for this, My ex calls her "Hitler's Niece" as well.

OK, I know. Zis is not ze german language.

Innocent
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

acidradio
Crew

Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:53 pm

A significant portion of English is based off of German, which helps in the learning process. You would be amazed how many sentences in German almost sound like an English sentence. German used to be regarded as the technical language and if you were an engineer or scientist, it definately was helpful to know German.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Lt-AWACS

Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:15 pm

when I hear German it makes me feel like invading France.... j/k  Big grin that was a joke nobody freak out.

While I don't speak it (I Speak Spanish as a second Lng) I don't think it sounds that harsh. it seems movies and media always portray it in a harsh light, i.e. whenever folks hear German it is in a War movie...

Ciao and Hook 'em Horns,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

ILOVEA340

Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:44 pm

I wuerd gaern sage das schweezerdeueutsch eifachs beschte isch.

anyways swiss german in almost impossible to write without umlauts.

swissgabe

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:39 pm

ILOVEA340, thats what I wanted to say...
Swiss German and the best is, that no one can understand u, exept a few smart Germans and other Swiss, and there are not a lot of them  Wink/being sarcastic

But I like a lot of different languages as: Japanese, Thai, Bahsa Malaysia, Finnish, Russian etc...

Oh yes, German can be very nice. But always subject if the person speaks very nice "High" German. There are a few bad slangs I don't like at all...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Klaus

Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:46 pm

Lt-AWACS: when I hear German it makes me feel like invading France.... j/k   that was a joke nobody freak out.

Wasn´t that a quote from Groucho Marx?  Smile

Lt-AWACS: While I don't speak it (I Speak Spanish as a second Lng) I don't think it sounds that harsh. it seems movies and media always portray it in a harsh light, i.e. whenever folks hear German it is in a War movie...

The way german was used under the former militaristic regimes is very alien to today´s german culture which is very much civilian. The difference is quite obvious in the language.

And, of course, "german" in foreign war movies is again very different and hardly recognizable...  Wink/being sarcastic

Lt-AWACS

Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:48 pm

"And, of course, "german" in foreign war movies is again very different and hardly recognizable"

Exactly  Smile

Ciao and Hook 'em,
Lt-AWACS
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

schreiner

Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:26 am

Lindy field; DUTCH is GREAT! Im a dutch guy! German is a real shivering language. Hate it. But we make lots of fun out of them....  Smile

We legalized drugs... but we don't use them. We sell it to the Germans and say; It makes you forget!

Gr,
Schreiner
Soaring the internet...

Ndebele

Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:45 am

Wow, I did not know that so many a.net members speak German! But somehow I think it was a bad idea when British Airways decided to call their German subsidiary "Deutsche BA" - nobody on this forum seems to make a difference between "deutsch" and "deutsche" any more - it's always "Deutsche"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

It's very funny for me to watch the German/Swiss TV channel 3Sat. Some programs are produced by German TV stations, some are produced by Swiss TV stations. However when there is a program produced by Swiss TV, they sometimes add German subtitles...
I used to work for Swissport here in Germany, and I have to say that Swiss people really speak as clearly as possible when abroad, so it's not hard to understand them. I prefer the Swiss dialect over the Austrian dialect, especially the Viennese dialect - it always sounds like if the person suffers real pain when talking.

FDXmech

Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:00 am

>>>ich liebe futbol und party<<<

The Southern German dialect would literally translate into, "ich liebe futbol und party....yall."

You're only as good as your last departure.

matt86

Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:06 am

I wuerd gaern sage das schweezerdeueutsch eifachs beschte isch.
hmm... I think this isn't swiss dialect but Swabian Dialect ("Schwäbisch"). This Region lies between Bavaria in the southeast and Baden-Württemberg.
I can't say whether German sound harsh... it's normal for me. But I think that most other languages are spoken faster (especially Italian and French IMHO)
And in German, you really pronounce each letter... in French you normally don't speak the last letters...

German Dialects are sometimes very crazy. Each state/region, nearly each city has its own dialect.
For me as a Frankish,Bavarian and a little bit Saxon its easy to understand this dialects (and perhaps also to speak it) Most other dialects (also when spoken extremly) are easy to understand, but for example Swiss and Frisian are really hard to understand.
A small example for Swiss/Frankish:
Last year I was skiing in Ischgl at the Austrian/Swiss boarder. We had lunch in a self-service restaurant. All tables were full; so we asked some people whether they are leaving: "gä'en sie" and they answered "Gruezie". (good day in swiss dialect)
That was funny  Smile

IndianGuy

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:06 am

In India, German is one of the foreign language options u have from Grade 8 to 10. The other and more popular choice is French.

I dont think German is harsh as such though i do thimk that French is kind of feminine. U know almost gay-ish. German is more *masculine*.

I chose German more because of the better grading system for the subject than for any love of the topic. But i fell in Love with German culture after that, and by the time i passed out, i was pretty much hooekd. we had a fantastic teacher which made all the difference.

Much later in college,i joined up with the local chapter of Max Mueller Bhuvan for a 3 month course, where our teacher was a German national who spoke better Hindi than i do! Way cool! (Though i still have to figure out the grammar!). Unfortunately i have never got an opportunity to use what i learnt. So thats a problem.

Its nice really to learn other languages and cultures.

- ROy

Takkyu_Ishino
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:18 am

it's definetly nice to learn languages and cultures so your broaden your mind.
a girl who speaks german really turns me on  Smile

Klaus

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:43 am

Takkyu_Ishino: a girl who speaks german really turns me on

Why did I just have to think of "a fish called Wanda"...?  Big thumbs up

Hurricane

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:50 am

I chose not to correct what you have written.
I think this is your school teacher's job

No..really...what did Blink do wrong? I would have said the same thing...
Hey, at least you could understand it... That's all I would care about.

Tschüss!

ILOVEA340

Matt86

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:51 am

this is very much swiss german its just that without actually saying it it is hard portray this. Remember you have to fit in all of the harsh ch's and s's. when spoken out in a basler way it sounds very swiss german.. I am from there and this is how we speak.
It is obviously a little different in Graubuenden oder Zurich.

Takkyu_Ishino
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:55 am

flichen!  Big thumbs up

down where it's better, down where it's wetter ...

blink182

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:43 am

Hey thanks guys  Smile.

Just out of curiosity(mostly for the Germans,Swiss, or Austrians here), can you all tell an American-German accent?

blink

Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:48 pm

Blink182, I don't think it's possible to write such an accent. But I can assure you it sounds very funny sometimes.

ILOVEA340

Blink182

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:04 pm

the american accent in german has to be one o the worst. The french and italians at least make german sound nice or romantic but the americans their (our) R's and E's oh it sends a chilling shock through my body when I am in Europe and hear americans tourists try to speak the language...
I find that for americans it is basicly impossible to make a correct R sound in German. For some reason even American students who have had the language at school for 5-6 years just cannot do it.

Rickster

Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:56 pm

Ndebele,
that was a good one - you made me laugh, the vienna slang sometimes can be very painful - definately  Wink/being sarcastic

Blink182,
i´m sure that most native german speakers can point out english natives speaking german, especially when it comes to R, Ö, Ä, Ü, and the use of der, die or das.

Generally it is possible for a native speaker to locate the accent somehow by the way it is spoken. Even here in Austria we have about 7 - 8 different accents.

I personally like it most when Hungarians and Italians speak german.

Wink/being sarcastic regards and servus
Rickster

avion

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:06 pm

Blink182:

Yes it is very easy to tell. But most people think that it sounds really cool and its more of a positive accent. Its not like when french people speak german, then it sounds gay.

Tom

Banco

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:12 pm

Klaus: And, of course, "german" in foreign war movies is again very different and hardly recognizable...

Klaus, I'm genuinely curious about this. I don't speak German, and when these films are on I always wonder what lengths the producers go to and whether the German involved is accurate or not. So, I suppose I'm asking how bad it really is, if it is just poor syntax and accent or whether it is a type of language that no-one would ever use?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:19 pm

I'm with you on this one, Avion ! Hehe.
 Big thumbs up

xtristarx

Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:26 pm

Ich finde deutsch klingt scheiße und ich bin deutscher. Ich spreche noch englisch und dänisch und beides klingt viel besser.

translation:

i think german sounds shit and i am german. i speak also english and danish and both sounds much more better.

Klaus

Banco

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:13 pm

Banco: Klaus, I'm genuinely curious about this. I don't speak German, and when these films are on I always wonder what lengths the producers go to and whether the German involved is accurate or not. So, I suppose I'm asking how bad it really is, if it is just poor syntax and accent or whether it is a type of language that no-one would ever use?

There´s the complete range from proper german dialog with native or at least capable actors down to completely unintelligible pseudo-german gibberish ("at least it sounds harsh and commanding!"). Applying nazi command language and tone to presumably contemporary german characters is another frequent mistake.

There seems to be a direct correlation to the overall production quality of the movie in question.

German versions of foreign movies, on the other hand, are frequently suffering from translation mistakes varying from minor glitches to major embarrassments... Big grin
(Most are okay, though.)

Klaus

Xtristarx

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:17 pm

Xtristarx: Ich finde deutsch klingt scheiße und ich bin deutscher. Ich spreche noch englisch und dänisch und beides klingt viel besser.

Hmmm... the way you´re using german you could be right.  Wink/being sarcastic

EL-AL

RE: Language

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:27 pm

The first thing that I think about when we speak about this language is the Holocast & the WW2. I know that u people think "what this crazy man want?" but for me, who grow all his life on the backround of the holocast, like meny other israelis, thats the first thing that i think about, & i cant think about this language in another way. When u remind to a jewish man something about it, he first think about the camps in Poland & about Hitler ימח שמו in the good case, & in the bad one, like i got, he think about his family who was merderd by German speakers & about the Europeans who helped the German speaker Devel to do it.
I dont blame the young Germans for the Past, & i cant do that too, but i want that the young people of Germany & Austria will remember the horoble things that the Germans & the Austrian did to the jews, only because thay were jews.
every day is a good day to fly

VapourTrails

Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:43 pm

I love it! Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I watch Das Journal as often as I can! Big thumbs up

VT =
Dunnunda
-VapourTrails =

Hepkat

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:28 pm

Well, this is one American with almost perfect pronunciation. As a matter of fact, the question I get asked most frequently is if I was born in Austria, because for an American, I have no accent. hehe...that's what you get for being a perfectionist.

El-Al, the past exists solely so we can have a better future. Mistakes were made and atrocities committed by every nationality and civilization, but we have to eventually learn from our errors and move on. If you continue living in the past, then you're clearly not willing to share in humanity's constant evolution towards divine perfection.

RayChuang

Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:27 am

I think when people think about German dialects, there are three distinct ones: High German (pretty much the German we learn in school, I think), Low German (spoken in northern Germany), and Swiss German dialects.

In my opinion, German is not easy to learn because of two things: the umlat over vowels (which English speakers don't really know to voice), and the use of noun cases (when the Normans invaded England in 1066 that resulted in a strong Romance language influence into English, which eventually led to English not using noun cases).

Hepkat

Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:19 am

From an English speaker's point of view, I don't think the umlauts are that difficult for English speakers to pronounce. We actually have remnants of them, just that we don't realize it. For example, we find ö in the words "her" and "hearth", ä in words like "late", and ü sounds suspiciously like "ie" in the word "view".

Cases, on the other hand, are a completely different story. We used to have as many as in German, but nowadays we probably use just two cases at the most (he/him, she/her, and in the past thou/thee). I am very lucky though. Because I learn visually (i.e., by seeing pictures, or breaking down sounds into pictures), my mind has NEVER forgotten the diagram of that table of cases I first saw in my first German grammar book. I don't even have to think about it, whenever I make a sentence, no matter how complicated it is, the picture of that table flashes to mind in just a millisecond, and I can easily locate the right case. Strange but it's true! If I learned like most other people, I would probably be still struggling 4 years later with German.

Sat Apr 20, 2002 2:59 am

It must really be hard for non native German speakers to learn the cases. Very tough job !

"Der Baum"
"Das Auto"
"Die Kinder"

Banco

Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:11 am

Hepkat, you're confusing me a little here. Are you talking about cases or gender in relation to English/German? In terms of gender, English does not possess gender at all, unless you define it as all three genders using the same word, i.e. "it", "the" etc. He/she only refers to gender in it's metabolic sense, rather than etymological one. On the other hand, English possesses as many cases as any other language, nominative, accusative etc. The difference is that English is prefaced with words defining the verb usage, such as "our". Is this different in German?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

racko

Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:03 am

""Der Baum"
"Das Auto"
"Die Kinder""

It's even more complicated  Big grin

Der Mann - male
Das Tor - neutral
Die Frau - female
Die Männer - male plural

Hepkat

Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:14 am

Banco, reread my post.

Cases, on the other hand, are a completely different story. We used to have as many as in German, but nowadays we probably use just two cases at the most (he/him, she/her, and in the past thou/thee).

airsicknessbag

Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:15 am

The problem about the cases, Banco, is that the German words (the combination article/noun) is changed depending on which case is used.

Example:
THE BOY eats an apple - nominative.
The mother OF THE BOY eats an apple - genitive.
The mother gives an apple TO THE BOY - dative.
The mother asks THE BOY ... - accusative.

Note THE BOY remains unchanged throughout the four cases. In German, however, this is different:

DER JUNGE isst einen Apfel - Nominativ.
Die Mutter DES JUNGEN isst einen Apfel - Genitiv.
Die Mutter gibt DEM JUNGEN einen Apfel - Dativ.
Die Mutter fragt DEN JUNGEN ... - Akkusativ.

Now you may say that´s not too complicated because the noun is identical in genitive, dative and accusative - problem is, with other words, nominative, dative and accusative are identical, in some cases even all four are the same.
Plus, the above example covers only masculinum singular; masculinum plural, femininum and neutrum, each with singular and plural are another five different stories.

>>>The difference is that English is prefaced with words defining the verb usage, such as "our". Is this different in German?

This one I don´t understand - could you give an example, then I´ll try to answer that question too.

Daniel Smile

Hepkat

Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:28 am

Banco, English does not have as many cases as other languages, simply because our language is arranged differenctly. In the case of languages that employ several different cases, such as Latin, German, Finnish (with 14 cases!), you can arrange the words of a sentence in almost any order, and they will still retain their original sense because the role of each word or part of grammar is built into that word.

English, on the other hand, which employs just maybe 2 cases at most, has to rely on word order to assign each word its role in a sentence.

For example:

The man ordered a salad. (English)
Der Man hat einen Salat bestellt. (German)

"Der Man" is the first case and "einen Salat" is the fourth case, so it doesn't matter which way you arrange the sentence, the meaning will always be the same, and will always be clear to any German speaker, simply because the role of the word is built into the word itself, something which is called declining. This means no matter how you place it, or arrange it, the man is doing something to the salad, he's ordering it. English words can't usually be declined (there are a few leftover remnants from our days of being a German dialect), so we rely on word order to assign them their roles. For example, if we rearrange the cited sentence:

Den Salat hat der Man bestellt. (German)
The Salad ordered the man. (English)

As you see, without cases, English words MUSt observe a particular order in order to assume their role in the sentence. German and other languages with multiple cases don't adhere to this restriction.

VirginLover

Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:47 am

Ich spreche Deustch! This is my 3rd year taking German, and I'm struggling with the grammar now, my public school never taught grammar in English, so as the years go on, it's getting harder! German does sound harsh when you hear someone really inexperienced speaking- when my teacher speaks, it sounds elegant, but I think French is more fun to say! Big grin