Bernard Shakey
Topic Author

Is Tiger Stadium Still Standing?

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:07 pm

That is the question. If so, what are the demolition plans? Tiger fan, your new ballpark is horrible. All this in the name of the new corporate sports culture. Don't get me wrong, Cleveland Stadium needed to go (despite the fact that I loved it), the Astrodome was no longer a modern marvel and it needed to go (although it still stands and is used for other events), and The Ballpark at Arlington replaced a stadium that was outdated from the day the Rangers moved into it. But leaving Tiger Stadium for Commercialica errrrrrr Comerica Park? Blaspheme.
Mindless drifter on the road, Carries such an easy load

mls515

RE: Is Tiger Stadium Still Standing?

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:17 pm

No different than when St. Louis, Cinci, Pittsburgh, and Philly moved into their concrete doughnuts.

Now the Dodgers moving out of the Memorial Coliseum, that was blaspheme!

(from http://www.ballparks.com/)

seven_fifty7

Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:28 pm

I was in Detroit last week on business and saw for myself that it is definitely still standing.

I don't think they'll tear the old Tiger Stadium down. For some reason, Detroit seems enjoy keeping its collection of abandoned buildings, skyscrapers and houses. I swear about two blocks behind the old stadium I saw this tall, ugly, 22-story abandoned green building with ALL of its windows gone. It looked like some kind of life-sized tower of terror horror movie prop. -The building (I suspect was an elegant hotel) looked as though it was built around 1908, yet it still stands completely abandoned, just begging to be demolished.

Why does' Detroit do this? I think that town would make a perfect historical theme park of old antique abandoned structures.

That's why I was so confused when I saw the old Northwest Terminal at DTW being demolished so quickly and efficiently.

Stretch 8

Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:16 pm

As a Detroit expat and the resident A.net Detroit sports historian, I can tell you that Tiger stadium won't be demolished anytime soon. With the Tigers playing so poorly, the team might need to play a few games in the old park just to generate excitement. Also, Tiger Stadium is on the list of National Historic buildings. It's really a meaningless distinction.

There have been various plans floated to convert the old park into a new urban mall with apartments, etc. There is no need for such a product. Sevenfifty7 is right about the blight in the downtown Detroit area; I have been in both Detroit and Sarajevo in the past year, and the latter is in better shape!

So for now, the old park stays.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Bernard Shakey
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:08 am

This post should have been titled "Is Tiger Stadium Still Standing? (how to make Stretch8 type for a few minutes)."

Thanks guys.

Long live Jarry Park.

KROC

Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:14 am

What is so bad about Commercia? I have heard that inside it is a very nice park. It's just not a hitting box like Astro Field.

Bernard Shakey
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:39 am

It's not the ballpark itself (Commerica), but what it represents that I dislike. It's like Jacob's Field in that sense. At Jacob's Field, the 12,000 upper deck seats are at FL350 all to accommodate the 1,000 loge seats between the lower and upper deck. I am a working class stiff, and not a corporate yutz. The average guy can still attend a game, but not as handsomely as in years past. I like the old ballparks that were built when sports were for the masses and not the expense accounts.

mls515

Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:42 am

The sad thing is that the people who sit in those lodge seats or in the luxury suites are too busy sipping cocktails and nibbling on hors d'oeuvres to even watch the game. Or if they do watch the game, it's on a TV monitor.

donder10

Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:26 pm

Based on the Tigers start,do you blame them Mls?