Matt D
Topic Author

Unity Through Diversity: An Oxymoron?

Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:30 pm

One simple question:

How can we achieve a harmonious, homogenous society while simultaneously embracing scores of "different" tongues, cultures, personalities, etc.?

Aren't these two conflicting concepts?

seven_fifty7

RE: Unity Through Diversity: An Oxymoron?

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:14 am

Yep.

Signed, SEVEN_FIFTY7.

docpepz

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:25 am

Yes, Race relations are a sensitive thing in Singapore, where 77% of the nation is Chinese, 15% is Malay(all Muslim) and 7% Indian.

And when i was in school we would have Racial Harmony Day and there would be "Unity through diversity" slogans everywhere. And ever since i was 13, I've always thought it was a rather strange phrase, since unity and diversity are exact opposites of each other!

And ever since Sept 11 and the arrest of suspected Al-Qaeda terrorists in Singapore (who all happened to be, erm, Malay and Muslim) the issue of Race relations has been played up even more.

The govt highlighted Halal foodcourts as a way the different races can integrate. And the press started playing up stories on how halal food courts are mushrooming throughout the country and how now non muslims and muslims can mingle and have meals together! I think that's a joke.

Chinese food is full of pork and I couldn't possibly imagine eating a nice delicious chinese meal without any pork. But now in the name of racial harmony I am expected to forgo that and eat at halal foodcourts? That certainly isn't unity through diversity. It's the exact opposite, if you ask me.

Marco

Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:31 am

excellent post docpepz.

Unfortunately diversity and unity do not go hand in hand. They never will, but most of will pretend they do ...  Insane
Proud to be an Assyrian!

david b.

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:04 am

Well, because thats what america is all about. You and your parents were different too. BTW: Why are you complaining? What type of "homogenous society" would you like?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Klaus

Matt D

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:41 am

Matt D: How can we achieve a harmonious, homogenous society while simultaneously embracing scores of "different" tongues, cultures, personalities, etc.? Aren't these two conflicting concepts?

No.

Harmony and homogenity are two distinct concepts. You can be united and still be different. I don´t need to be like you in order to cooperate and live with you.

Just as an example: Men and women are certainly very different; But still marriages can work...  Big thumbs up

JetService

Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:41 am

David, I don't sense anyone wants that kind of homogenous society; their just questioning the expression. I suspect they are saying 'Unity through Diversity' is not very accurate and that it should be more 'Unity despite Diversity'. The reason is, a diverse society doesn't automatically make the society united. In fact, it poses more challenges to get there. No one is saying (so far) that diversity is bad. They're just saying it doesn't achieve what the phrase suggests.
"Shaddap you!"

bruno

Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:18 am

How can we achieve a harmonious, homogenous society while simultaneously embracing scores of "different" tongues .......?

Matt D, dirty thoughts came to mind. That can be a very good thing.  Acting devilish
I support the women’s movement up and down!