How Is Michael J. Fox Doing These Days?

Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:15 am

Has anyone read or heard how this great guy is doing, what with his terrible Parkinsons Disease?

777236ER

RE: How Is Michael J. Fox Doing These Days?

Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:19 am

Yeah, he is a great guy. And not just because he's got Parkinsons and we're all sympathetic. He was damn good in Spin City, and great in Back to the Future.
Your bone's got a little machine

cfalk

Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:37 am

I saw him just a couple of days ago on Larry King. His Parkinson's is getting worse. He's pretty constantly fidgeting and twitching. But he and his family are hopeful, and he doesn't seem to be bitter or depressed about his condition - although he admits to having felt that way some years ago.

He seems like a fine man.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

captaingomes

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:28 am

I never really liked or hated Michael J Fox, but I saw him on Late Show With David Letterman a few weeks ago and was impressed with him. He was definitely very fidgety, moving around a lot, but his mind is all there. What a brilliant guy he is, and a great guest. I trully changed my opinion on him, as I am greatly impressed with his attitude, given his terrible situation.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

yyz717

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:40 am

Well, he is very short. A short person. A little 'un. Shorty. Pipsqueak. L'il Mikey. Wee Mike. His wife, Tracy something, is actually taller than him.

His autobio just came out. It's in all the book stores. I always kinda liked him but I have no intention of buying this book.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

yyz717

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:43 am

I presume that his Parkinson's is discussed in the book.

Interestingly, it seems that he worked on some series about 20 years in BC......of which many of the cast & crew have now contracted PD. Seems it can be caused by a virus.....as many researchers claim heart disease can be as well.

I liked the 'little capitalist' role he played on Family Tree (or whatever that show was). Don't recall him too much on Spincity.....was focusing on Heather Locklear.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

tbar220

Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:09 am

Family Ties, great show  Smile
NO URLS in signature

prosa

Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:50 am

Interestingly, it seems that he worked on some series about 20 years in BC......of which many of the cast & crew have now contracted PD. Seems it can be caused by a virus.....as many researchers claim heart disease can be as well.

People who've had certain types of influenza are said to be at increased risk of contracting Parkinson's. I remember reading that survivors of the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1919-1920 developed Parkinson's in late middle age, or thereabouts, at rates vastly in excess of what statisticians would ever have predicted. Whether that's the case with the BC series remains to be seen, although I suspect that the numbers won't be nearly large enough to allow any conclusions to be drawn. It's an interesting idea, though.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

KROC

Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:52 am

Actually I have personally contracted him to make me Chocolate Milk. Nobody shakes it up like he does.

Klaus

Kroc

Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:48 pm

Very funny.  Sad

KROC

Klaus

Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:15 pm

Stop crying, even for just one day ...  Insane

Klaus

Kroc

Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:27 pm

KROC: Stop crying, even for just one day ...

If your idea of "humour" is limited to slandering other nations and laughing at people suffering from painful and life-threatening diseases, then you should take a long, hard look into the mirror. You might find something funny in there as well.

777236ER

Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:43 pm

Boo hoo Klaus. How does KROC's joke on here affect anything at all? It made some people laugh. It didn't make me laugh cos I like Michael Fox, but it certainly made some people laugh.

Get off your high horse.
Your bone's got a little machine

KROC

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:18 pm

I like Michael J. Fox as well. BUT, being classified as a champion against Parkinson's Disease ONLY AFTER he was diagnosed with it is weak. If he never got it, he never would have cared. Still, I like him, and think he can be funny, but again, it was just a joke. It is scary home many people on here are so thin skinned, that the slightest inclination of humor sends them spirling downward.

Klaus

Kroc

Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:52 pm

KROC: [...] but again, it was just a joke. It is scary home many people on here are so thin skinned, that the slightest inclination of humor sends them spirling downward.

Is that what you believe to be humorous? How sad.

It´s not my skin you´re affecting here.

Banco

Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:08 pm

"Sick" humour is a common part of everyday life, at least in the UK and Australia and presumably America too. Some people don't find it funny and that's fair enough - but I must confess KROC's comment did make me smile.

Klaus, you should have seen how quickly the Princess Diana jokes appeared...
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

yyz717

Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:11 pm

Hey Klaus, what's your problem with KROC?

He has a sarcastic sense of humour.....that's all. As do many of us. I think you're interpreting him too literally.

English is your second language right?

KROC

Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:25 pm

Yyz717, my brother from across the lake...getting my back? I wonder if hell is cold today?  Big grin

Klaus: As Banco said, it's sick humor. It's part of everyday life...for most people. if you don't like it, or understand it that's your perogative, but don't cry at every "joke" I slap up here. I mean you got fired up in the Ethnic joke thread about my "France surrenders" thing, yet like I said, after last week's wars, it was nothing but Ironic humor. You seemed to understand at least that. Maybe we can expand on that?

Klaus

Kroc

Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:16 am

KROC: As Banco said, it's sick humor. It's part of everyday life...for most people. if you don't like it, or understand it that's your perogative, but don't cry at every "joke" I slap up here. I mean you got fired up in the Ethnic joke thread about my "France surrenders" thing, yet like I said, after last week's wars, it was nothing but Ironic humor.

I´ve got no problem with irony or sarcasm - as you might remember from earlier threads.

But I do object to nationalistic chauvinism as well as to ridiculing persons suffering from a life-threatening disease. Maybe it´s just a personal weakness of mine. But I´ve seen too much of it to find fun in this kind of stuff.

KROC: You seemed to understand at least that. Maybe we can expand on that?

I do understand how you see it. But contrary to the now-traditional shaft, ridiculing others doesn´t get funnier by repetition.  Wink/being sarcastic

ryanb741

Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:20 am

In Klaus' defence he can always claim that as a German he does not understand the concept of humour!

Sorry Klaus, just a silly joke on my part! Big grin
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Klaus

Ryanb741

Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:45 am

Ryanb741: In Klaus' defence he can always claim that as a German he does not understand the concept of humour! Sorry Klaus, just a silly joke on my part! Big grin

I´ve already used that up in another thread a short while ago...  Big thumbs up

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/214284/6/

KROC

Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:21 am

But contrary to the now-traditional shaft, ridiculing others doesn´t get funnier by repetition.

Sure it does!  Big thumbs up As long as there is no mallicious intent.

Klaus

Kroc

Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:46 am

Klaus: But contrary to the now-traditional shaft, ridiculing others doesn´t get funnier by repetition.

KROC: Sure it does!  Big thumbs up As long as there is no mallicious intent.

I disagree on that. It´s a lot funnier to ridicule oneself.  Wink/being sarcastic

Against others (particularly if they can´t defend themselves) the malicious intent is sort of built-in.

But, of course, there´s a difference between kicking someone in the groin or slapping them with the rubber chicken... Big grin

Banco

Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:18 am

Has it never occurred to you Klaus, to consider the feelings of the chicken?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Klaus

Banco

Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:29 am

Banco: Has it never occurred to you Klaus, to consider the feelings of the chicken?

Won´t it be happy to serve its purpose? Big grin

KROC

Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:48 am

Klaus: I make fun of myself far more that anyone else makes fun of themselves on this forum. Humor goes in all directions, and I love cracking on myself as much as others. Because I "get it" is the reason I bust as much as I do.