L-188
Topic Author

Jack Paar And Airliners.net

Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:07 am

"There must be something better" Jack Paar

Those where the last words I typed on Airlines.net about three days ago.

Anyway I figured you all deserved an explaination as to why I chose that particular quote, especially to all of you young pups who don't even know who Jack Paar is.

Jack Paar is the host of, The Tonight Show from 1957 to 1962. I should clarifly that, In 1960 he told what would be considered a very tame joke by todays standards, it was deleted by the censors. The next day at the start of the show he quit, live, on the air, without prior notice. That quote I used was the last words he said to the viewers before he walked out.

We should never be afraid of our ideas, or our thoughts. We should also never be afraid to voice them. Likewise that means that we shouldn't feel the same way about other peoples thoughts and Ideas. That would be a perfect world however, and we do not live in one. We should not be so quick to hit on the trigger that snuffs somebodies thoughts and ideas, but on the same token we possess a responsibility too present those ideas in a calm logical way, not calcuated to produce the most anguish.

As far as a level playing field goes, There has never been one that exists in the history of the world. I doubt that it is ever going to be possible to produce such a thing. Kind of like Microsoft making a spellchecker that doesn't have misspellings in it. The best that we can hope to do is to flatten out some of the bumps. But truth is doing this is kind of like one of those chinese finger traps. The more you work at it the harder it is to get out of it.

We live in a world today that makes it extremely easy to project our views and opinions across thousands of miles, to people who probably are not getting the same news about the same event. We need to remember that and keep that in mind both in our postings and our responses to them. We have to remember that in times like these, that there have always been times like these. I can't take credit for that quote, That goes to Paul Harvey.

I want to thank all of the people who sent E-mails to me in my absence. They where very hartwarming and showed careing and shows that this group really is a sort of family. And like all families we have our various tiffs and fights but we will eventually forgive and forget.

In the past year our hobby, for some of us our passion has been under attack by forces that are ignorant of it's intentions. If we are going to defend it we are going to have to stick together. Right now those forces are together under a single perceived threat, one that does not exist from us. And with those forces united we are going to have a hard time in the near future.

There isn't a thing wrong with anybody who is willing to defend their ideals, in fact it should be something that is respected. Even more so if those ideals are opposite your own.

Anyway I better finish up with what happened with Jack Paar.

A month later Jack Paar and the National Broadcasting Company made peace and Jack went on to host two more years of the Tonight Show before Johnny Carson replaced him.

His first words when he came back where, "Somebody said, 'There must be someplace better.' Well I've looked and there isn't."

Everbody take care.

Shawn Miller
AKA. L-188

P.S. You know you aren't really a member of Airliners.net unless you have been banned once Smokin cool

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Skyway1

RE: Jack Paar And Airliners.net

Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:14 am

Welcome back L-188!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put on my repected users list before they barred you! Great to have you back!!

Regards
Chris  Smile
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

NZ767

Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:24 am

I didn't even know you'd been banned L-188; I've been off for a few days.
What the hell for??
Anyway, what ever it was, welcome back.
I always enjoy your contributions and your post above is spot on.
I can identify with that!  Smile

Skyway1

NZ767

Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:26 am

Here is the discussion, well the first one anyway.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/216373/

Regards
Chris  Smile
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:20 am

Great to see that you are back L-188!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpha 1

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:31 am

Welcome back, L-188. Your return IS a victory for some semblance of fairness on here. I was hoping that the chorus against your deletion would reap positive benefits, and it has. I'm hoping that this is the sign of better things to come on this forum.

Welcome back!!

TechRep

Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:48 am

Why was L-188 deleted as a user? This guy had some valuable post's in the Tech/Op's forum, I do not know if I deserve an explanation but it would be nice. He was a member for almost 3 years and was never known as a troublemaker in my opinion.

Welcome back I also questioned your missing profile.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/216681/

TechRep

KROC

Tue Apr 30, 2002 1:49 am

Shawn, welcome back. Nice to see that you were allowed back in the house. With my two banishments so far, I must be an O.G. member of A.net.  Big grin

seven_fifty7

Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:17 am

You've been banned TWICE KROC? I never knew you were ever banned.

Hmmmm. I'm just wondering: Why do I get the feeling I'll be banned soon for little or no reason????

KROC

Tue Apr 30, 2002 7:38 am

It's true, I am a war torn battle scarred airliner.net veteran. As for your thinking you might get tossed fo little or no reason. I reserve comment on this, so I don't go for a hat trick.

tbar220

Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:10 am

Tremendous post L-188. Perhaps people can learn from what happened to you and what you wrote, and appreciate more what we have here on this website.
NO URLS in signature

lubcha132

Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:21 am

what was the joke? does anyone know?

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:00 pm

Welcome back man, that was a superb post up there, easily one of the best Ive read in a long time....

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

L-188
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:34 pm

I have never been able to find out either Lubcha132, Sorry.

It would be nice to know.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

kaitakfan

Wed May 01, 2002 4:40 am

The chant of "HAT TRICK, HAT TRICK, HAT TRICK" is now heard throughout the forum. I swear, if anyone can drop to the depths of a third banishment from Airliners.net and be brought back to normal member status, it would have to be you KROC. I got a good laugh after learning of your two prior banishments from Airliners.net. Its good to know we havent lost two valued members to the deletion wave for good (L-188, KROC)!

Cheers!
Brian

Wed May 01, 2002 5:17 am

Than venerable Lockheed sure is a workhorse that never lets you down!  Big grin Big grin Big grin Welcome home.