airafrique
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 4:25 am

Can We Just Be American

Fri May 03, 2002 1:16 pm

I am talking to my fellow American:

Why not simply say American or American of X decend where X represent:

African
Asian
Jew
Arab
Hispanic
Caucasian

For me it does not make sense to say Jew American or Arab American.

Why focus on the race ?

No matter where we come from or Ancester came from. We are Firtst AMERICAN.
 
flyf15
Posts: 6633
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 11:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Fri May 03, 2002 1:51 pm

Some people don't want to be "American." For instance, stating they are an Arab American may very well mean they consider themselves an Arab who happens to have citizenship in America. There are also those who wish to point out their difference to others, for whatever reason they may have.

I'm not an expert on the subject though, I'm just an "American," not a "European American," "German/English American," or "White American."  Big thumbs up
 
L-188
Posts: 29881
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 1999 11:27 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Fri May 03, 2002 1:54 pm

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.
 
Banco
Posts: 14343
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:56 pm

RE: Can We Just Be American

Fri May 03, 2002 7:23 pm

It's an interesting point. The British comedian Lenny Henry once commented that he was described as an "African-American from England" which he found both hilarious and troubling. I wonder if these labels are anything more than a rote response.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.
 
NUAir
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 4:24 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Fri May 03, 2002 11:05 pm

While white, caucasian americans are hated by a majority of the rest of the world African/Arab/Latin americans are idolized, once your outside of the country you dont want to be considered a part of the typical american majority that the rest of the world is is heavily critisizing..

Such is life.
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 12:00 am

Boy it sux to be hated  Sad
 
Matt D
Posts: 8907
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 1999 6:00 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 12:15 am

To respond to NuAirs comment, let me just say that the kind of hate he is referring to is driven by jealousy more than anything else.

I would bet that a vast majority of those factions he mentioned secretly wish they could be one of those "white, caucasian Americans" for a variety of reasons.

And let me just say that I don't really care if everyone else hates us or not. Sure we may be arrogant, pompous, and wealthy. And we can mow down and obliterate anyone that gets in our way just because we can.


I'm sure that that attitude is what is so hated (to say nothing of our wealth, influence, power, or success), but hey that's just the way the world is. Sometimes the truth hurts. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, but reality is reality.

As for the original post, I agree. Either you are an American. Or you are not. There shouldn't be any qualifying monikers or prefixes. That's a large part of what keeps perpetuating our social problems.
 
RealHigh
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2000 7:09 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 1:37 am

I would bet that a vast majority of those factions he mentioned secretly wish they could be one of those "white, caucasian Americans" for a variety of reasons.

 Confused
What kind of statement is that?
I'd like to see some facts to back up that ridiculous statement.
The only non-white that I can think of that wants to be white is Alan Keyes.

Can We Just Be American?
Can someone tell that to airport security?



 
Sonic
Posts: 1505
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2000 3:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 1:44 am

RealHigh, you forgot Michael Jackon  Smile
 
RealHigh
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2000 7:09 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 1:46 am

Sonic, he has a skin disorder.
I thought everyone knew that by now.
 
prosa
Posts: 5389
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:24 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 2:49 am

Racial/ethnic pigeon-holing is one of the more odious characteristics of modern American life. As far as I can tell, there is nothing whatsoever in its favor, and everything against.
Yet there may be some hope for the future, though I emphasize the word "may." Growing up in Connecticut in the 1960's and early 1970's, I saw firsthand how fellow whites (me included) classified ourself by ethnicity. You weren't American, you were Italian-American or Irish-American or whatever-American, notwithstanding the fact that in most cases the immigration had taken place many decades before and the immigrants themselves were long dead. Ethnicity was everything - even the funeral homes in my city were classified by ethnicity (Albini's or Maiorano's for the Italians, Mulville's or O'Donnell's for the Irish, Frigon's for the French, and so on).
Yet all of that ethnic, hyphenated-American classifying came to a fairly complete end in the 1970's. And this was in a city where ethnicity was embraced more than in most other places. People began thinking of themselves as "just white." Now, it's fairly evident that race is more pervasive than mere ethnicity. It may be a long, long time before Americans stop thinking of themselves as blacks, or whites, or Hispanics. But the fact that long-standing traditional ethnic classifications could become blurred and fade means that the same could, theoretically at least, happen with race.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"
 
david b.
Posts: 2894
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2001 7:18 pm

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 2:52 am

NUAIR MATTD

Please post links pointing to proof of those rediculios statements. I assure you that that is not true. Open your eyes to the world.

BTW: Are you one of those people who tan all the time?

Are you a member of aryan nation?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight
 
UALfa@jfk
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 10:02 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 6:39 am

I would bet that a vast majority of those factions he mentioned secretly wish they could be one of those "white, caucasian Americans" for a variety of reasons.

MattD, thanks for your candor, but do most whites in your circle feel the way you do? Just asking, because as a black person I've NEVER felt an iota of jealousy about whites, nor have I ever remotely even "wanted" to be white. That's something I've never even heard of amongst people I know. (I do wish I could be wealthy, though. But don't we all?  Laugh out loud). But seriously, as far as ethnic background is concerned, I'll stick to who I am, thank you.

*****************

While white, caucasian americans are hated by a majority of the rest of the world African/Arab/Latin americans are idolized...

Now this is something that I *REALLY* never heard of. African/Arab/Latin americans "idolozied????" Where on earth did you get that from? --You must be referring to black and Latin celebrities being "idolized" like Janet Jackson or Ricky Martin. ...Not to sound pitied, whiny, or complaining, but if anything, I actually sense (emphasis on "sense") the feeling of disdain, hatred, and fear from a lot of whites as a black male. You'd feel this way too if you're ALWAYS followed around in stores (I'm always a shoplifting "suspect"); constantly being pulled over by cops for being a "suspect"; constantly having whites refuse to ride an elevator with me alone with them; and always noticing women clutching their purses and backing away if I get "too close." None of this really causes me to go crazy anymore, but it's just things you notice happen constantly over the years.

NUair, I really, really don't get the sense that I'm "idolized" by any stretch of the imagination.


 
Sonic
Posts: 1505
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2000 3:10 am

Racism

Sat May 04, 2002 7:05 am

Actually, I think racism in America still remains from both sides.

These are whites complaints:
-being not given job even if their characteristics are better than a black who got the job
-paying taxes to exploit public schools, in which the great part of students are blacks
-racist mugs and robberies on streets

These are non-whites complaints:
-being careful watched by security in many places, including airports (the latter is especially true for Arab-Americans)
-racist policemen, shooting blacks
-whites who dislikes the company of non-whites

Of course both lists could go on and on. The only thing is that I think it is hard to manage country with people of many races, nationalities, religions. There will always be some kind of racism. Of course, we could explain that blacks are now given more rights on getting jobs because they were impursued before and that they are carefully watched by security because there are more black thiefs than white thiefs. But let's don't explain, just be more tolerant and all will be OK.
 
777236ER
Posts: 12213
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2001 7:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 7:13 am

Can't we just be human?
Your bone's got a little machine
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 7:30 am

If I were in that same position, I would not like for someone to call me American when I am from Mexican descent. When people come to a new country, they want to feel proud of where they come from.
 
Yazoo
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:26 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 7:52 am

Arab and Latino does not necessarily mean non-white or non-caucasian, a lot of arab/latinos are blonde and have blue/green eyes. it just depends where their ancestry is from.

a lot of latinos are of spanish/european decent. again it just depends where you find most ratio of "caucasian latinos" if you g deep south on south america, like argentina and chile, you will find more "caucasian people" than in mexico or honduras

same for arabs, you'll find more people with blonde hairs and green/blue eyes, in Lebanon, Syria and North Africa ( though north africans are not for the vast majority arabs but rather berber ) than in saudi arabia and yemen.

I consider out of contest to qualify those people as non-white. for instance, in the employment application you find a sheet that asks you about your heritage, and you will find qualified as white: people who originate from the original people of europe, north africa and the middle-east.

America! land of the free, and home of the brave!
Purple Pride!
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

Sonic

Sat May 04, 2002 8:06 am

Sonic:
Of course, we could explain that blacks are now given more rights on getting jobs because they were impursued before

Are you sure about that?
I'd like to see some numbers to prove that statement. Last time I checked, unemployment amoung Blacks were higher than Whites.


.......because there are more black thiefs than white thiefs.

Of course as long as police and security guards pay closer attention to Blacks than Whites.


I think it is hard to manage country with people of many races, nationalities, religions.

So are you saying that it is impossible for people of various backgrounds to live in harmony?
Bring back the Concorde
 
Sonic
Posts: 1505
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2000 3:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 8:26 am

Superfly, I am not living in USA and not even in America so I don't know how thinks exacly are there, but I seen many whites complaining that in USA at least in governmental jobs there must be an equality between whites and blacks (maybe not a total equal number, but at least some percentage). So, it is harder to get job for whites.

I was in Harlem in New York and it looked like a very hostile place for a white. From what I seen, it seems that there are really much crimes here (like each third of houses are burned). And, ussually blacks aren't the best neighborhoods. There was a Lithuanian district in Chicago but once blacks started moving in, most of Lithuanians moved out. i talked with one my friend in USA who said that now it is very unsafe there. Anyway, I am not saying that all blacks are thiefs like I am not saying that all Arabs are terrorists or that all Jews are murderers. However, the stereotypes of what I mentioned really exists. Airport security is looking over Arabs because big part of terrorists were arabs, at least in current times. So maybe shop security is also looking over blacks because they do more crimes? I certainly don't think that all scurity personell would be racists.

Yes, I think it is impossible for people of various backgrounds to live in harmony. Say at least one example where two or more totally different nations (of different cultures, races or/and religions not like Switzerland) lives together quietly. Of course, both cultures has to have a big part of people, not just several percents. Look to Israel, Russia, Bosnia, North Ireland, South Africa and you will understand what I mean. They all have coonflicts or had conflicts in the past. USA does not had one since civil war, but topics like this (and there were many more of them) indicates that there are still hostile status between American cultures.
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 8:38 am

Sonic:
Those Whites that are complaining about those Government jobs really don't have a reason to complain. Even in the public sector, Whites still make up a majority of the work force. Even at the entry level.
Government jobs don't pay that much by the way.
I've never been given a job because I was Black. I am sure I have been denied employment because I was Black as well as housing etc.

There was a Lithuanian district in Chicago but once blacks started moving in, most of Lithuanians moved out.


The neighborhood I grew up in was predominately Jewish and my family was the second Black family to move in (1971). When we moved in 1984, the neighborhood was almost all Black. Yet the neighborhood stayed clean and safe, property value has increased and is still one of the most desirable parts of Lake County Indiana.
Your Lithuanian friends just sound plain scared and frightened. Not all Black neighborhoods are the worst.
In fact, ghettos tend to be very integrated.
South Central LA is Hispanic, Black, Korean and many other ethnic groups.
Bring back the Concorde
 
Takkyu_Ishino
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:14 pm

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 8:53 am

Superfly, I'm sorry to say this but i didn't have a good experience with black people in the US, first time i got here, i rented an apartment in a black neighbordhood, just to settle until i find a better location, and i can tell you as sonic said, they are not the best neighbors, i'm not going to talk about that experience because it's bad memories. it didn't take me 10 days to get the hell out of there.

now i live in a white neighbordhood and i love it, people are friendly, never had a problem with any of my neighbors.

that being said, a few black people are cool to hang out with.
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:01 am

Takkyu_Ishino:
Just a few huh?

That's really sad that you can form an opinion of an entire race of people.
Bring back the Concorde
 
Takkyu_Ishino
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:14 pm

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:31 am

no don't get me wrong man, i'm talking black people i've encountered during my experience ( Minneapolis, Phoenix and New York ) not the whole black race !!!

but as i've said i have some black friends that i really enjoy hanging out with.

but you gotta admit, black neighbordhoods are always labeled as being the worst neighbordhoods in an american city. ( and they truly are )
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:39 am

Takkyu_Ishino:
Key word; "labeled".

I guess you haven't seen Ladera Heights (LA), Ingleside (SFO), Beverly (Chicago), and the neighborhood I grew up in in Indiana. It was majority Black and was very safe.

However, there are a lot of bad Black neighborhoods in urban areas. I can think of some pretty crappy WHite neighborhoods too.
Has anyone here been to Tujunga, Ca or Clovis, CA?
Very crappy towns.
Bring back the Concorde
 
ILOVEA340
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 1999 9:49 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:45 am

I don't want to be called Swiss-American. I believe in diversity and by calling everyone american this and american that you tend to lose it. America is just a massive mixing pot. Very few people are truely american. (except the native americans)
I like to call myself swiss.
 
airafrique
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 4:25 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 11:10 am

For me been called AfricanAmerican, ArabAmerican, CaucasianAmerican, AsianAmerican, SpanishAmerican.....
IS SOURCE OF DIVISION.

WE ARE ALL AMERICAN, BECAUSE YOU TOOK THE NATIONALITY, OR YOUR ARE BORN IN THE U.S.
I WILL LIKE TO BE CALLED AMERICAN. I WILL LIKE WHEN I GET A JOB IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF MY RACE OR ETHNICITY. IT SHOULD BECAUSE I HAD THE REQUIRED CREDENTIALS.

WHY FOCUS ON THE RACE ?



 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 11:35 am

I have a question.

I'm Turkish. I am blonde and have blue eyes (before you get ideas, I'm a guy...!) and go to college in the US. I think my English is pretty good because no one really understands I'm a foreigner until I tell them so. In predominantly African American neighborhoods and such, I get the hostile 'white kid' look sometimes (observe that I say sometimes, I have been scared shitless in some places where there wasn't even one non-white person), do you think that these people would feel more sympathetic towards me if they knew that it wasn't my ancestors that kept them as slaves? I mean is it only a question of skin color for African Americans as well or is there more to it? Because for white people (majority of them at least) black=potential threat. Do black people think that white skin=racist?
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 11:36 am

Airafrique:
I agree!

Now tell that to the police, realators, security guards, employers, journalist, the media, and just about every fragment of our society that continues to reinforce stereotyes and instill fear in there children and just about every outlet possible.
Bring back the Concorde
 
Superfly
Posts: 37735
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:01 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 11:38 am

Everett, WA:
I can't speak for every Black person. I certainly don't think that.

When you read this board, who do you think are the racist?
Bring back the Concorde
 
UALfa@jfk
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun May 28, 2000 10:02 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 12:24 pm

Something else I noticed:

Whites, when physically outnumbered by blacks, will feel "threatened", "scared shitless", "afraid", etc., no matter what class, demographic, or behaviorial characteristics those blacks represent.

Case in point, I took a couple of white coworkers to this houseparty to one of the most AFFLUENT black communities in the U.S., the "Cambria Heights" section of Queens. Now, here, you have large homes, treelined streets, perfectly manicured lawns, and nice cars parked everywhere, and low crime. The 'problem' was that everyone driving, walking, shopping, and living in that community was black. It didn't take long for my white guests to tell me that they didn't "feel" safe and were ready to go. They even asked me to basically escort me to somewhere where they could catch a cab. (!)

Something similar happened to me in idyllic (but predominately black) suburban Washington too, where the white people I was with were "scared shitless" because they didn't feel "safe." (read: too many blacks everywhere, regardless of the fact that they were middle class, well-"behaving" suburbanites.)

All of this has led to think that a lot whites don't have to be surrounded by black hoodlums, thugs, or gang members to feel "scared shitless." Just be around blacks of any type and you feel like sitting ducks.

This is unfortunate, because how can we become a cohesive society when whites can't seem to let go of so many negative beliefs about a whole group of 12 million Americans?

Black and white Americans really do not know each other at all (TV images and coworkers of another race don't count).

This thread proves it.



 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 6:29 pm

I think we have a similar problem here in Australia, with people referring to themselves as XXX Aussie.

As far as I am concerned anyone who was born in this great land is Australian. Pretty simple.

You might have International heritage, but if your mother birthed you here you are Australian.

So easy.

mb
 
vc10
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:13 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 7:55 pm

In all the postings in this topic I hear of Irish or German or Italian Americans, but I haven't heard any body mention English- Americans, perhaps they don't exist

little vc10
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 7486
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 8:54 pm

The same can be said for any multi cultural society....
I don't like to be called 'Pakeha' which is Maori for different/foreigner which is used to describe white people here. I am born & bred NZer and am definitely not foreign. In New Zealand we also have this racial profiles and We don't really have New Zealanders as such, we have all the individual ethnicities Maori, Pakeha, Polynesians, Asians and 'Other'. It sounds like what you'd fill out on a census form, but that is the pathetic reality. It's about time we were all called New Zealanders ,(or in your case) Americans. That is why our society is stagnating itself by dwelling on the fact that we are all from different origins instead of the fact that we are in one country.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
Sonic
Posts: 1505
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2000 3:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:16 pm

I can understand European immigrants who are scared by blacks presence. Let's say Lithuania, where I am living, is a totally racial intact. Well, there are about four black immigrants i a country of 3,5 million people, but they are only working in various places which "needs" blacks, like avertisements for going to Africa, African food restaurants, etc. At street, all people looks to black if one passes by. They tries not to get too near -- there are various legends that blacks smells, etc. One of three commonly used Lithuanian terms to describe blacks, "nigeris" (which is direct translation from "nigger") is common. All that is because blacks are very rare, and in Soviet Union times there were no blacks at all, so many people didn't even seen blacks and some (especially old people from villages) didn't even knew blacks exists.
For person from here it would be very hard to be with blacks around.
 
mika
Posts: 2810
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2000 7:53 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 9:54 pm

Look to Israel, Russia, Bosnia, North Ireland, South Africa and you will understand what I mean. They all have coonflicts or had conflicts in the pastz


All(?) the above conflicts are religious conflicts not racial ones. A thing that many people seem to missunderstand is that race is NOT the same as religion. Would that be the case, it would be easy for anyone to change race. And as someone said, we're all members of the human race and live on the same planet. I rather see myself as a human than a white.
 
Sonic
Posts: 1505
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2000 3:10 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sat May 04, 2002 10:04 pm

Mika, I didn't mentioned those as racial conflicts. The question was "can people of different backrounds live together peacefully". Background is not the same as race. And, by the way, Arab-Americans are also considered white, they just have different religion. Same about Jewish-Americans. This topic is not about races, but about different cultures in America.
 
prosa
Posts: 5389
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:24 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 7:10 am

Whites, when physically outnumbered by blacks, will feel "threatened", "scared shitless", "afraid", etc., no matter what class, demographic, or behaviorial characteristics those blacks represent.
Case in point, I took a couple of white coworkers to this houseparty to one of the most AFFLUENT black communities in the U.S., the "Cambria Heights" section of Queens. Now, here, you have large homes, treelined streets, perfectly manicured lawns, and nice cars parked everywhere, and low crime. The 'problem' was that everyone driving, walking, shopping, and living in that community was black. It didn't take long for my white guests to tell me that they didn't "feel" safe and were ready to go. They even asked me to basically escort me to somewhere where they could catch a cab. (!)


It's been claimed that white residents will start moving out of a neighborhood in droves once the black population in the area reaches a certain percentage. And this so-called "tipping point" is surprisingly low, probably no more than 40% to 50%. It's a sad but true commentary on life in the United States. I will say, however, that younger people (generally >age 25) seem to have fewer hang-ups about race and ethnicity than their elders. Attitudes may change over time.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 7:44 am

NUAir wrote:

"While white, caucasian americans are hated by a majority of the rest of the world African/Arab/Latin americans are idolized, once your outside of the country you dont want to be considered a part of the typical american majority that the rest of the world is is heavily critisizing."

That is ridiculous. Countrary to popular belief, most people around the world LIKE Americans, no matter what their race or nationality. Of course there are always a few bad apples with personal problems who attack America, but to say that any Americans are universally hated is just dead wrong. Young people especially (except those on the far-left and the far-right, of course) tend to LIKE America. A few days ago, many of this forum's non-US members were writing about their trips to America; Remember how positive their impressions were!

I am a Slovenain-American (a dual citizen), and I can tell you that for every person who bashes America, there are a dozen who admire and respect it (even though they may be less vocal.) Most people are intelligent enough to know the difference between AMERICAN POLICIES (which they may disagree with) and AMERICA itself.
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 7:49 am

I wrote:

"Countrary to popular belief, most people around the world LIKE Americans, no matter what their race or nationality."

I meant:

"Countrary to popular belief, most people around the world LIKE Americans, no matter what their race or ETHNICITY."
 
airafrique
Posts: 139
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2000 4:25 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 11:37 am

That's what I am saying NO MATTER WHAT IS OUR RACE; WE ARE AMERICAN FIRST.

I would like people to THINK about that " AMERICAN "

African-American
Arab-American
French-American
Mexican-American
Jew-American
White-American.........etc,.....etc are just source of division.

I feel that people think first about their ethnicity before their nationality.

YOU HAVE THE US PASSPORT, BIRTH CERTIFICAT, CITIZENSHIP THEN YOU ARE AN AMERICAN.



 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 12:28 pm

I don't understand the poster's concern?

Arab-American? Thats someone who speaks Arabic who is American. Whats the problem?

African-Americans? People whose relatives descended from Africa. They are proud of their lineage and celebrate it in this phrase, who is anyone to tell them not to? Remember "African-American" was created by the "African-American" community.

Jew-American? Most often its "American Jews", but whats the problem there? America is a diverse place with thousands of different religions. One of which is judaism. Whats wrong if there happens to be Jews in Amercica or "American Jews"??

TNNH
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Sun May 05, 2002 8:35 pm

Airafrique wrote:

>>African-American
>>Arab-American
>>French-American
>>Mexican-American
>>Jew-American
>>White-American.........etc,.....etc are just source of division.

I disagree. These terms are not a source of division, just a celebration of America's diversity. We have so many ethnic groups in the US; why on earth should we be ashamed of them? Yes, we are Americans, but we should be aware of our ethnic background as well. This diversity of ethnic groups has helped to make the US such a special country. As long as we remain respectful of other people's heritage, there is no reason why these terms should become a source of division. Just image how boring it would be if we were all the same!
 
Matt D
Posts: 8907
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 1999 6:00 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 3:22 am

PHX-LJU:

That's a very noble, idealistic Utopia-like concept.

Unfortunately, reality has painted a drastically different picture. Concepts such as Affirmative Action/Quotas, racial profiling, "check the ethnicity box", and so on only perpetuate the divisiveness.

Perhaps being a boring, homogenous society wouldn't be such a bad thing. It may be "boring" as you call it, but it would also be a lot more peaceful and closer to the Utopian world you allude to.

So take your pick. From the way things are and going, I don't think that wearing your heritage like a badge of courage is going to work. Perhaps maybe dropping the "African", "Black", "Asian", "Martian", etc. monikers and simply using "American" might be considered a workable solution.
 
hartsfieldboy
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:50 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 3:54 am

I remeber some PC-psycho trying to describe a Black African. Because there are white Africans, he couldn't just say "African", so he ended up calling them "African-American Africans" How ridiculous can it get?

RealHigh- Michael Jackson claims to have the skin disorder Vitiligo. He's full of shit. If he had Vitiligo, his skin would have patches of white skin all over his body, and it would NOT be evenly distributed. Vitiligo looks like this: http://www.mrcophth.com/dermatology/vitiligo.JPG

 
prosa
Posts: 5389
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2001 3:24 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 5:01 am

RealHigh- Michael Jackson claims to have the skin disorder Vitiligo. He's full of shit. If he had Vitiligo, his skin would have patches of white skin all over his body, and it would NOT be evenly distributed. Vitiligo looks like this: http://www.mrcophth.com/dermatology/vitiligo.JPG

And even the world's worst case of vitiligo wouldn't make Jacko's nose shrink and his lips get narrower  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 6:22 am

Matt D wrote:

>>"Infortunately, reality has painted a drastically different picture. Concepts such as Affirmative Action/Quotas, racial profiling, "check the ethnicity box", and so on only perpetuate the divisiveness."


Well, I also disagree with many forms of affirmative action. I, too, agree that race or ethnicity should not be a factor in employment, university admission, etc. But I happen to think that people should not be ashamed of their ethnic heritage either.

Unlike you, I don't think that a freely expressed ethnic heritage is inherently divisive. After all, many Americans remain proud of their ethnic background, yet they are also patriotic and integrated into American society. I believe that a person can be fully integrated into American society AND be aware of his/her heritage at the same time. There are millions of Americans who prove my point.


Matt D wrote:

>>"Perhaps being a boring, homogenous society wouldn't be such a bad thing. It may be "boring" as you call it, but it would also be a lot more peaceful and closer to the Utopian world you allude to."


My next-door neighbors are American-born, but of Slovenian heritage. Their parents spoke Slovenian, but did not teach them the language. Why? Because both they and their parents felt that speaking the language is simply not necessary (or desired) in a homogenized society. But guess what... My neighbors now regret not having learned the language. They are proud Americans, but they felt that they lost an important part of their heritage. They are only two million Slovenes out there, and they want to be a part of that cultural community. They now realize that their parents were wrong for not teaching them the language.

Are people like that spreading divisivness just by becoming aware of their heritage? In my opinion, no. But think of the diversity that we as a nation would lose if we just decided to be just like everyone else. Of course, all Americans should speak English and become integrated into mainstream society, but they have no reason to be ashamed of their heritage either.

Divisivness based on ethnic lines is a real problem. But surpressing ethnic awarness, which makes America so diverse, is not the solution. There is simply no reason why we should throw out the baby with the bath water, to use that tired old cliche.

I happen to believe that ethnic awarness does not inherently cause divisivness. We should overcome the problem (ethnic divisivness), without undermining one of our greatest treasures (our diversity). I may be too idealistic, but idealism is what America is all about, isn't it?
 
RealHigh
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2000 7:09 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 8:41 am

Matt D:


Concepts such as Affirmative Action/Quotas, racial profiling, "check the ethnicity box", and so on only perpetuate the divisiveness.



Wrong.
Your acting as if there was no divisivness or racism prior to such laws.
I am glad that you acknowlege racial profiling as a problem that has to stop.
 
NUAir
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 4:24 am

RE: Can We Just Be American

Tue May 07, 2002 10:26 pm

Damn, I didnt even know this post was still going,

My comment was meant as nothing more then a broad gerneralization and living in France/Ghana/The Netherlands/Jamaica I have always seen an absolute adoration for african and latino american culture (not just sports and music), while (very) generally speaking, most of the people who claim to be "anti-american" look more towards the white, majority then the population in general...

For example. Most of the people who I know who hate America in France still love Fubu, the NBA, NFL, and hip hop, they idolize the "minority culture" in America, when they meet an african american they tend to be much less opinionated on the problems of American culture then if they were talking with a white american. This of course is a huge generalization but I think to some extent true.

I'm not saying its a bad thing or a good thing just something that I have noticed while abroad. So please chill out with the nasty responses and try to relax. I tend to hang out with a lot more Africans and South Americans in Europe which probably makes my opinion extreamly biased anyway....

"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet
 
Guest

RE: Can We Just Be American

Wed May 08, 2002 1:59 am

NUAir,

I'm sorry if my ealrier comments appeared to be nasty. I did not mean to attack you, just your comments implying that the world hates Americans. That, in my view, was a misleading generalization, so I felt complied to respond.

I would just like to add that, according to my experiences, many people who claim to dislike America actually enjoy American culture in general (that is, both minority AND majority culture). They may attack "the American lifestyle", but they have no problem watching American movies and sports on an American-owned TV station interrupted by American-produced commercials advertising American brands.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vikkyvik and 11 guests