TechRep
Topic Author

Greatest Heavyweight Boxer Ever?

Fri May 03, 2002 8:21 pm

Pound for pound who was the greatest heavyweight boxer to ever live? Whatever your answer, back it up with fact not just the name of the fighter. Please take into consideration the whole career not just certain periods.

TechRep

ryanb741

RE: Greatest Heavyweight Boxer Ever?

Fri May 03, 2002 8:25 pm

1. Lennox Lewis
2. Mike Tyson
3. Muhammed Ali
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

TechRep
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2002 8:34 pm

Whatever your answer, back it up with fact not just the name of the fighter.

I think that was clear, why are these boxers the best?

TechRep

saintsman

Fri May 03, 2002 8:37 pm

Probably someone like John L Sullivan. In those days they were bare fist fighters with not a lot of rules and fight till you drop. I doubt that the modern day fighters could put up with it, although most of them are technically superior.

kolobokman

Fri May 03, 2002 8:39 pm

Ivan Dragov

I liked the shorts!

kolobok
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

TechRep
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2002 8:40 pm

Ok, lets limit this to modern boxing, 1955 and beyond.

TechRep

ryanb741

Fri May 03, 2002 8:44 pm

1. Lennox Lewis - technically the best fighter, wide array of moves and slowing tactics. Difficult to faze, and always just keeps coming back.
2. Mike Tyson - ferocious, driven power. An awesome fighting machine in his heyday
3. Muhammed Ali - the personality. Okay, he wouldn't get into the top 10 on ability, but his character and courage made him the man he was.

I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

NWA

Fri May 03, 2002 9:09 pm

Lennox Lewis. He is quick and if he is in shape, he is a punching machine. he is just incredibley skilled. Lennox lewis=destroying mike tyson June 8th.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

KROC

Fri May 03, 2002 9:40 pm

If Lennox Lewis was so great, he would not have let himself turn into a fat, lathargic bastard and get blasted by Hasim Rachman.

Anybody who actually knows anything about boxing would not say this about Ali's ability "Okay, he wouldn't get into the top 10 on ability". Ali punished his opponents. He was as charasmatic in the ring, as he was out, and that translated into a great ring performance everytime. I am also a huge Joe Frasier fan. My top heavyweight would either be Frasier or Ali. Then to drop names like Joe Lewis, George Foreman, Ken Norton, ect all better than today's "top" fighters.

pacificjourney

Sat May 04, 2002 12:01 am

No one has mentioned the Cuban Stephenson, Tiofilo I think his first name is. Olympic champion 3 times I believe.

Can't say I have much respect for any professional boxers, they are morons in a crooks game !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Alpha 1

Sat May 04, 2002 12:11 am

Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson? Give me a break, Ryan. Lewis doesn't even rate in the top ten probably!

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Rocky Marciano

c72

Sat May 04, 2002 2:14 am

Cascious "Muhammed Ali" Clay

777kicksass

Sat May 04, 2002 2:16 am

Rocky Balboa could kick anyones ass!

donder10

Sat May 04, 2002 2:41 am

Audley Harrison.Why?100% professional record of course  Big grin  Smile

aa61hvy

Sat May 04, 2002 7:26 am

TYSON, from the late 80's early 90s. hands down. ali was the greatest talker, he could fight too. but tyson in his peak vs ali in his peak, tyson would put him down in less than 5 rounds. he just has so much brute force.
i do like the ivan drago answer. that is my nick name! (drago)
Go big or go home

KROC

Sat May 04, 2002 10:43 am

Tyson in his prime vs. Ali in his Prime would go to Ali, HANDS DOWN. The level of competition Ali faced was 10 times that of Tson. It's funny, everyone says Ali was a good "talker", because thats all you know about him. He was a great fighter as well. He had a big size advantage over Tyson, pure skill advantage, and the experience of fighting good fighters...at least better ones than Tyson. Tyson in 5 rounds over Ali. That is like saying France will slap up Germany in a week.

Alpha 1. I forgot about the great Rocky Marciano. Great call.

Alpha 1

Sat May 04, 2002 11:02 am

Unfortunately, KROC, these kids don't have a clue about Ali, and the great battles with Joe Frazier. Wasn't it the fight at Madison Square Garden when they, literally, almost killed each other? Greatest fight of all time.

Tyson couldn't beat Ali because Ali was a master stragegist, and he could think his way past Tyson-he'd play with the guy until he got frustrated. Tyson over Ali? What are they smoking?

KROC

Sat May 04, 2002 11:18 am

Alpha 1. I agree. Thing is, it's like when somebody asks about the greatest band, or song, or whatever, and everything listed is from like 1992 and up. Like there hasn't been great music since the 40's.........and further back. Too many fail to realize there is more out there that just what they know/see.

IHadAPheo

Sat May 04, 2002 11:19 am

I have to agree with C72 and go with Cascious Clay/ Muhammed Ali, the hand speed and footwork where something to behold

as for present day it's a three way tie

1) Tyson
2) Oprah
3) Rosie

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

KROC

Sat May 04, 2002 11:25 am

Ihadapheo. After Tonya Harding's performance in Celebrity Boxing, I would place her at number two, knocking the other 2 heffers down a notch.

aa61hvy

Sat May 04, 2002 2:56 pm

thats where you under estimate me, i have seen frazier vs ali, foreman vs ali.. rumble in the jungle, you name it i have seen it, on classic sports. so i do know what im talking about, i just havent seen anyone dominate like tyson has. i would want to see foreman vs tyson.. that would be awesome
Go big or go home

LHMark

Sat May 04, 2002 4:57 pm

MAX SCHMELING!!! Oh...wait...

never mind.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Sat May 04, 2002 9:43 pm

AA61hvy, if you saw all the classic fights, then you would know that Tyson could not hang against Ali, or Fraiser, or Louis and Marciano for that matter. You talk about Tyson dominating his opponets? While Tyson was fighting Michal Spinx, Ali was fighting Fraiser, Norton, Foreman ect. There goes that arguement.

Alpha 1

Sat May 04, 2002 11:53 pm

AAA61hvy, Tyson "dominated" because he was up against a bunch of nothing fighters. The first time he fought anyone near decent-and that was Buster Douglas-he got knocked out.

Tyson domninated the fighters he dominated, because he fought a bunch of losers. Ali was around during the time of Smokin' Joe Frazier, George Forman, Ken Norton...all were very good fighters. Tyson can't hold a candle to Ali, any time, anywhere. That's just absurd to think otherwise, and it shows me you don't know what your talking about, with all due respect.

aa61hvy

Sun May 05, 2002 12:51 am

i dont know if you just dont like me or what but i do have an opinion. when he fought buster douglas he had just divorced his wife, and thats why he lost. i saw that on the mike tyson true life story or something. if douglas was so good why did holyfield beat his butt like none other? and douglas lost the belt, and no one has heard anything since. i mean ali could hit but look at the body mass of ali against tyson. i love ali, but tyson is one bad boy
Go big or go home

aa61hvy

Sun May 05, 2002 1:21 am

what ever happend to tyson fighting holyfield? if holyfield is a nothing fighter than i dont know who is a good fighter, because he is an all around great fighter and a good person.
Go big or go home

Lortab 7.5mg

Sun May 05, 2002 1:42 am

Arthur John "Jack" Johnson

Biography:
http://www.famoustexans.com/jackjohnson.htm

Other info:

21 Jun Indicted for smuggling diamond necklace into US

Oct 12 Arrested for violating the "White Slave Traffic Act"
Dec 4 Marries Lucille Cameron

May 14 Convicted of violating the "White Slave Traffic Act" in Chicago, IL

Jun 4 Sentenced to a term of imprisonment of
1 year and 1 day plus a fine of $1000

mid-June Flees the United States while free pending appeal

source: cyberboxingzone.com

KROC

Sun May 05, 2002 9:31 pm

AA61hvy. Give me a break. Douglas beat Tyson because Tyson ws not prepared. It was not because he just divorced his wife. As for Holyfield, yes, he WAS a good fighter, but the Holyfield/Tyson fight happened about 5 years too late. Both boxers were already on the down swing. Also, Holyfield slapped your boy around the ring anyway. Tyson only bit his ear, because he knew he could not win yet again. Yeah, thats the sign of a true champion.

Alpha 1

Sun May 05, 2002 11:57 pm

AA61hvy, Ali was bigger than Tyson; Ali was stronger than Tyson; Ali was quicker than Tyson; Ali had far more endurance than Tyson ever had; Ali could out-think Tyson (anyone could) in the ring; Ali was a better boxer than Tyson ever was.

And you talk of controversy? Try being banned from the sport for 4 years-during the prime of his carrer, because of his stand against serving in the Military-and coming back and winning the title 2 or 3 more times?

And no one is saying anything personal against you, for goodness sake. But if you as ANYONE who has followed the sport for the last 30 or 40 years-not people like me or KROC, but people who have covered the sport as journalists or trainers of writers, they'll tell you it isn't even close-Muhammad Ali was the greatest BOXER, let along heavyweight, to ever don a pair of gloves. Tyson was a brute and a goon, but he wasn't half the boxer Ali was.

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 3:58 am

guys, soory to say this, LEwis is not fat. he was winning the rahman fight but was hit in the worst place possible. lewis is no where near fat, and I garentee he is in the top ten greatest boxers ever. Ali was not stronger than tyson, learn about boxing, the master on first round knockouts. Hasim is was just like buster, and I bet money Evander will beat him June first, I'll be watching.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy also, I am 16 and know alot about boxing, probley my fav sport, I belive the greatset fight was in yankee stadium, check that though, but I dont think it was in the gardens. how many peple watched the rahman-Lewis fight? I did, lewis was wining, hasim is like buster douglas. watch the second fight? I did, lewis put a cut above rahmans eye in the first rund, he destroyed him. I still thnk Lewis is the best.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

KROC

Mon May 06, 2002 4:37 am

NWA. No offense by Vivid friend, but maybe you should learn about boxing, because you only mentioned current fighters...and Ali. First off, when Lewis lost to Hasim, he was out of shape. He was looking like Larry Holmes, not Lenix Lewis. Nobody is doubting the ability of Lewis either, and if you think he is one of th eall time 10 best...he is like 9 or 10. Heavyweight boxing is NOTHING like it was 30 and 40 years ago.

As for more on Tyson. This is getting old. Noway is he stronger than Ali. Tyson had a killer instinct. That was what he had going. Tyson WAS quick, strong, but now? He is lost. Lewis is going to demolish him.

But for those of you who know boxing, Ali is the greatest of all time (I can make an arguement for Frasier too). Toss in Marciano, Gratciano, Louis, Norton, Foreman, Cooney, ect, and todays boxers, including Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield, Quitick Bowe...they can't compare.

aa61hvy

Mon May 06, 2002 4:41 am

i cant wait to see this fight with tyson and lewis.. where is it? i mean both these guys are monsters. but i have never seen tyson act so insane before fighting a guy.
Go big or go home

KROC

Mon May 06, 2002 4:44 am

AA61hvy: Tyson is acting "insane" because he is scared. He does not, and I don't care what he or anyone else says, does not want to fight Lewis. Lewis is by far the superior boxer right now, hands down. The whole press brawl errrr conference was to either try and get the fight cancelled, or postponed for Tyson. He is not going to kill Lennox, he is not going to eat his kids.....Lennox is going to mop up graceland with Tyson's carcus.

tbar220

Mon May 06, 2002 4:56 am

KROC,

Lewis might be missing a chunk of his leg after the fight, but it will be worth the prize purse.
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Mon May 06, 2002 5:06 am

Eddie Murphy (Barber): "You must be out of your goddamn mind. Joe Lewis was the greatest boxer that ever lived! I'll be with you boys in a minute. He was bad as Cassius Clay, he was bad as Sugar Ray, who's that new boy? He was as bad as Mike Tyson, the one that looks like a bulldog, he's bad as him too! He could whip Mike Tyson's ass, he could whip all their asses!"

Eddie Murphy (White guy): "What about Rocky Marciano?"

Barber: "Oh, there they go, there they go, every time I start talking about boxing, a white guy gotta pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one. Let me tell you something once and for all, Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Lewis, Rocky Marciano aint shit!"

White guy: "He beat Joe Lewis's ass."

Barber: "Joe Lewis was 75 years old when they fought! Joe Lewis came out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano, he was 86 years old! Joe Lewis always lied about his age, he lied about his age all the time. One time, Frank Sinatra came out here and sat down in this chair. I say Frank, you hang out with Joe Lewis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Lewis? You know what Frank told me? He said Joe Lewis was 137 years old. 137 years old!"

White guy: "Aw man, you aint never met no Frank Sinatra"

Barber: "F*** you, f*** you, and f*** you!"

Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

Alpha 1

Mon May 06, 2002 5:50 am

Anyone who is willing to shell out good money to see the fighters of today are totally off their rocker, if you ask me. I wouldn't PAY to see any of these egotistical, out-of-shape clowns. They're making their big paydays thanks to the paths plowed out by the like of Joe Louis, Rocky Mardciano, Floyd Patterson, Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali.

Lewis the best? ROTFL. He is a better all-around fighter than Tyson ever was, but put his prime against Ali? Or Frazier? Or Louis? Can't touch them.

fspilot747

Mon May 06, 2002 7:05 am

Good god, as unbelievable as it sounds, I am going to have to agree 100% with Alpha on this one. Anyone who thinks Muhammad Ali was just a talker and not a great fighter needs some therapy!

-FSP

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 9:09 am

I have seen alot of Ali fights thanks to ESPN classics. I have seen many frasier fights. They both were great fighter, dont get me wrong. I do think though that lewis could beat both of them in there primes when lewis was in his prime. When I said tyson was stronger than ALI, I am talking about tysons prime. when he was 19, his average fight lasted 1:20 s. this was how strong he is. now, have you seen him? he is a big fat slob. Ali was good because he faought like a fly weight. People like forman would stand there like most heavy weight boxers, and Ali would hit them 3 times and would be behind them before they knew where they were. I still think, from what I have seen, that in there primes, Lennox would beat them. Just my option. Granted Lewis was out of shape, thats what he gets for staying in LAs vegas making a camio for oceans 11 when the fight is in a high altidue spot in africa and weighting 7 lbs over his average.

P.s. I would pay money to see these fights, I dont care if you would not. did you see castllo-mayweather fight just recentley? HBO is worth the money for these fights, its was great. Am I going to watch the lewis-tyson fight? You bet, $54.99, and it will be worth every penny I think, even if it is short. The fight, for the person who wanted to know is in memphis. PPV and the fight card is 9:00.

KROC

Mon May 06, 2002 9:46 am

My man NWA, let me break this down.

I do think though that lewis could beat both of them in there primes when lewis was in his prime.

I do respect your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. No seriously, our opinions clash yes, but I think you have to base your opinions on more that a few ESPN Classic fight rebroadcasts.

When I said tyson was stronger than ALI, I am talking about tysons prime. when he was 19, his average fight lasted 1:20 s. this was how strong he is. now, have you seen him? he is a big fat slob.

Dude, here I have to argue. Tyson "appeared" stronger ONLY because the level of competition faced by Tyson could not compare to that of who Ali faught. Tyson fought scrubs compared to Ali. Me and Alpha 1 have proved this on previous posts. Also, Tyson is NOT fat. Have You Seen Him lately? He may not be the 22 year old Heavyweight King, but he is not a fat slob either.

Oh, and for the same reasons you listed Ali as a good fighter back in the day.....are the same reasons Lewis today could not compete with him.

As for your take on the PPV prices of these fights....Dawg, thats your loot. I wil pay $55 bones for a fight, when boxing is more like boxing, and less like the WWF.

Alpha 1

Mon May 06, 2002 10:17 am

Tyson was NOT stronger than Ali in his prime-he wasn't in as good of shape; he wasn't the boxer Ali was; he didn't fight the competition Ali did. Lewis is a good boxer, but better than Frazier or Ali? Not in any lifetime, NWA. Never. Nohow. Nada. I've seen all four of them fight live, and there's no comparison. Ali and Frazier were better boxers. Oh, and one other reason they were I haven't mentioned yet-they had more heart, more desire and more courage than any other boxer of their era or since.

P.s. I would pay money to see these fights, I dont care if you would not. did you see castllo-mayweather fight just recentley? HBO is worth the money for these fights, its was great. Am I going to watch the lewis-tyson fight? You bet, $54.99, and it will be worth every penny I think, even if it is short. The fight, for the person who wanted to know is in memphis. PPV and the fight card is 9:00.

P.T. Barnum and Don King are both right-there's a sucker born every minute.

aa61hvy

Mon May 06, 2002 10:19 am

id pay 55$ for that fight!
Go big or go home

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 10:28 am

Alpha 1,

I do with my money what I want. If thats how I want to spend it, thats what I will spend it on. Before you start calling me a sucker, watch yourself. I bet you have bought some things that I would think are foolish. I am voiceing my option. When fourm members get deleted, thats why. Why must you start on the personal attacks? Is that all you have left? I did not insault you and you have no reason to insault me.

KROC

Mon May 06, 2002 10:37 am

Easy NWA. I am positive Alpha 1 is not "personally attacking" you, but he is just using a sayin or quotes that go along with the situation. It's not personal. Chill, and just debate.

Alpha 1

Mon May 06, 2002 10:39 am

It isn't personal NWA. But just my opinion on paying for something that, if history is any indication, will be a sham anyway.

aa61hvy

Mon May 06, 2002 10:41 am

i disagree alpha, the holyfield tyson fight wasnt a sham, that was hyped up too.
Go big or go home

KROC

Mon May 06, 2002 10:49 am

THere is only one fight I would consider paying for. De La Hoya vs. Vargas.

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 10:49 am

I bet you would pay $50 for the first fraiser-Ali fight. I know I would. I change my mind, ruiz is the best ever.

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 10:51 am

I may get that one. They hate each other so much its gotta be good.

Alpha 1

Mon May 06, 2002 10:53 am

Uh, AA61hvy, Tyson-that great fighter?-bit off Holyfield's ear, for God's sake! That's not a shame to you? It is to me-it's a complete farce!

And no NWA, I would not pay $50 to see any boxing event. I used to like the sport, but it's run by a bunch of egotistocal fools and prima donnas anymore, and it's become a big fat farce, in my book. Besides, back then, you could watch Ali-Frazier live on regular TV. I know-I watched it.

NWA

Mon May 06, 2002 10:58 am

I know you could, my dad would watch the fights. I think you miss out on aot of boxing matchs, and I dont think alot of matches are fixed. for as great as you think ALI is, you are telling me you would not pay a little amount like $50 to see him fight? oh well, your loss.