GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Internal Radar Detector-Does It Exist?

Fri May 10, 2002 6:23 am

I want to buy a RADAR DETECTOR. I know about the
ones you stick up the windshield but I want an internal one...with a sensor and seperate display. Do you know if it exists ...where can I get it ?
Thanks alot !
Patrick
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

I Like To Fly

RE: Internal Radar Detector-Does It Exist?

Fri May 10, 2002 6:40 am

Yes, they exist. They are not worth the money whatsoever however, they are much more expensive than a dash mount model. I good setup can run you $1200. What's the point in spending that kind of money? A good dash model works better anyway. lol
-Chris

mls515

Fri May 10, 2002 7:25 am

A good cop won't turn on the radar until he zaps you anyway. A radar detector will tell you when it happens but it will be too late.

I drive with a radar detector, two of 'em:

I'll drive as fast as 80-90 on the highway, but never through blind corners or over hills. You can't just set the criuse at 80 and forget about it.

sccutler

Fri May 10, 2002 7:36 am

I agree with MLS515, but I still use the Valentine One, and I think it is remarkably good. If (as MLS notes) the first radar your detector.. well, detects is when the constable "paints" you after he makes visual contact, then the radar detector will be very effective at confirming that you are about to be written up for a speeding citation.

But a good radar detector will notify you that radar is being used (aginst other drivers ahead of you) in plenty of time- mine often receives radar at distances of two or more miles.

Noting from your profile that you are in Austria, I presume that radar detectors are illegal there. If that's the case, well, you cannot reasonably use a windshield-mounted one without risk; but you could use a Valentine One, mounted in a well-designed console of some sort between your rear-view mirror and the car's roof, with some sort of disguies over its front (nothing that would block microwave radiation ,of course!). Then, you'd use the reote display module that can be purchased for the V-1, mount it inconspicuously on the dashboard somewhere, and you're rocking and rolling.

Or not.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...