jamesag96

Computer Purchase Over The Net.

Sat May 11, 2002 1:37 am

I am looking at purchasing a new laptop for work, and the idea of purchasing it on-line is appealing. I have looked at Best Buy and Circuit City, as well as a couple of the smaller ones. Question is, do any of you folks know of a site that is reliable and cost concious?

Any replies are appreciated.

J
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

174thfwff

RE: Computer Purchase Over The Net.

Sat May 11, 2002 1:46 am

Go to http://www.cnet.com and read up on the reviews and such. Then when you find a computer you like, it will show you some prices from a lot of different stores.

Or you can just go to http://www.dell.com and pick out a nice laptop or http://www.winbook.com. I love Winbook.

-174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

N202PA

Sat May 11, 2002 1:52 am

To be honest, the only company that I would buy a computer without actually seeing it first is Dell. My family has bought 3 desktops and 2 laptops from them in the past 3 years, and they've all worked beautifully.

Don't buy from Best Buy -- I got my first computer from them 5 years ago (a lousy consumer-grade Packard Hell), and I hated every minute of it. Had to spend $200+ just upgrading it so that it could run fast enough for me. Ugh.

KROC

Sat May 11, 2002 3:10 am

Last June I bought my system using http://www.dell.com Buying froim a site like that I would recommend, and say you can trust whatyou are going to get. Any problems I had were quickly resolved by the customer support teams as well.

watewate

Sat May 11, 2002 4:41 am

I'd rather build my own machine, but if you not in such a situation, go with Dell. One caveat: shipping can be steep.

American_4275

Sat May 11, 2002 4:59 am

Buying online is good. Buy directly from the manufacturer and get it customized yourself that way you can be assured quality products with the components you want.

Usually the stuff at Best Buy is crap...

If you are willing to spend a decent amount of money check out http://www.alienware.com

I have an Alienware and it's remarkable.

EGGD

Sat May 11, 2002 5:06 am

Buy a laptop, build a PC. As you want a laptop, buy one. If Dell builds laptops, buy one of them. If you ever want a PC, build it yourself.

Regards

Dan  Smile

Inbound

Sat May 11, 2002 2:38 pm

it's safe.

I'm using my Dell Dimension 4400 I bought off the net.
I live in the caribbean, so I had to use the Latin American Website.....but my pc was shipped direct to my door all the way from Texas.

actually right now, if you buy a dell, you might get a bunch of free stuff to compensate for the shipping. I got a free CD burner as a gift for February. Sometimes they run offers of free shipping.

I had problems with a processor fan though. All I did was contact the company and the local agent changed the fan free under warranty.

dude...you're getting a dell!!
haha
Maintain own separation with terrain!

trickijedi

Sun May 12, 2002 1:47 am

I've always bought my computers on-line from Dell. And a few of my friends have done so as well. It's a very reliable site and a good company. Also, you can tailor your computer to the specs you want.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

Airbus Lover

Sun May 12, 2002 3:54 pm

I would strongly recommend a Dell. Currently I am using a Dell Dimension 4400 2 months old bought directly from Dell.

Shipped directly from the Dell APCC Factory in Penang, malaysia to my doorstep which is like 8km away  Smile oh but actually it went through the hub of the transport company so much more than 8km.

I have two laptops one Dell and one Compaq. But i would always buy laptops and in the future should build my own unless it is going to be frequently used and at top-notch performance like my current Dell dimension.

EWRvirgin

Mon May 13, 2002 4:36 am

Gateway is also very good.

http://www.gateway.com

SophieMaltese

Mon May 13, 2002 8:06 am

Dell is great. I would highly recommend buying from their website.