'Longreach'

Kazza!- Need Some Help Please!?

Mon May 13, 2002 6:30 pm

HI,

I just downloaded Kazaa, and i got a movie. I think it is in .avi format. When I go to play it, it does not work at all in the kazaa theatre, in quicktime it only plays sound and I lost media player from the comp a while ago.

Does anyone know if I have to download something to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Hurricane

RE: Kazza!- Need Some Help Please!?

Mon May 13, 2002 7:33 pm

That's happened to me too...spend a few days downloading a movie and it doesn't work. I think it is some sort of error in the file. Some movies work, some don't for some reason...

'Longreach'

Mon May 13, 2002 9:56 pm

Yeah I don't know how to get it to work. It is not working on quicktime and I don't know where to find media player, so at the moment I am downloading a codec file but im 99% sure its the wrong one.

Ill see if it works but.

b757300

Mon May 13, 2002 10:18 pm

You're better off not using Kazaa. It installs a ton of spyware and a program that will activate on a set date and download a crap program. It will then use your bandwidth to send popup ads to other Kazaa users.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

skyservice_330

Tue May 14, 2002 4:41 am

If you hear sound but no picture then chances are you probably need the DivX codec. A simple search on Google and you should be able to find one. Just download, install, you may need to restart, and you are off to the races!

Hope this helps.

Hurricane

Tue May 14, 2002 5:52 am

I never knew KaZaA had spyware...Is there any way to get it off without hindering the program? I haven't been able to find one without spyware since Morpheus, and since Morpheus changed formats it isn't as good...I love the KaZaA format. Is there any other filesharing program that uses p2p and doesn't have spyware? Does Groakster have spyware?

I reeealy want to get that spyware off...help is appreciated.

174thfwff

Tue May 14, 2002 6:14 am

I am almost positive it's a DivX code you are missing. Go to http://www.divx.com (this link opens up into a new window, FYI). Download both the player and the code and you will be one happy dude!
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

FlyVirgin744

Tue May 14, 2002 6:16 am

174thfwff is right. If the movie is in .avi, it needs the special decompression codec.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Hurricane

Tue May 14, 2002 6:29 am

Does that solve the problem of audio but no sound...
I've had it in Windows Media Player where it won't play at all because of the missing codec...but this solves the no video problem?

Tue May 14, 2002 7:17 am

what movie are you trying to watch?

airlinelover

Tue May 14, 2002 12:24 pm

Download the LATEST version of Windows MEdia Player.. It'll fix all problems.. At least, it did for me!
It can be found on MS website.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Wed May 15, 2002 7:56 pm

I'm really liking WinMX!! The newest release, 3.1, is pretty cool.. doesn't come with all the spyware (at least not that I've noticed)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

on the .avi issue, I've found that staying with .mpg or .mpeg is a better quality.

-J

http://www.winmx.com

Smokin cool

Lowsonboy

Wed May 15, 2002 9:37 pm

If you are worried about spyware then download Adaware from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/downloads.html

b757300

Wed May 15, 2002 10:02 pm

If you remove the Spyware, Kazaa will not work and it won't allow you to uninstall it. Uninstall Kazaa and that BDE crap first then run Adaware. You will truly be surprised how much B.S. Kazaa installs without your permission.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Hurricane

Thu May 16, 2002 2:48 am

But what's a good alternative? I've tried WinMix and didn't like its format, having to connect to all of those servers...The new Morpheus is crap...AudioGalaxy has spyware...

Does Groakster have any spyware? What are some other options that don't have spyware?

skyservice_330

Your Prayers Have Been Answered!

Thu May 16, 2002 4:41 am

Kazaa Lite is the Kazaa program only without the spyware and adware, it is exactly the same just no spyware or adware. It connects to the same network as Kazaa too, and it is free!

http://www.kazaalite.com/

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=kazaa+lite&tg=dl-2001

Hurricane

Thu May 16, 2002 5:16 am

Just went to cnet and downloaded the KaZaA Cydoor remover and installed it, and I have no ads now. Cydoor (the spyware) is gone as well as BDE and all popups, including the banner ads. I assume this is the same as the link SKYSERVICE gave...
Thx for the help, and if you haven't downloaded the patch do it. It works like a charm!

Thu May 16, 2002 7:11 am

Question!!

Will I still have my files that I downloaded with the normal Kazaa?

EGGD

Thu May 16, 2002 7:49 am

I have found WinMX to be the best by far. It returned the most results, doesn't throw a load of crap on my computer. Runs quickly and gets what I want easily and quickly!

About the .avi movies, download all the codecs you can find. I always used to have this problem until I found out that you can download the codecs.

Regards

Dan