FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Christian Ice Cream Parlour?!?!?!?!?

Sun May 26, 2002 4:15 am

In my home town of Wellington, Florida, a new ice cream parlour just opened, however, it is a Christian ice cream parlour. Inside, it plays Christian music and has worship meetings and such.

I'm not against Christian businesses or anything, I love Chick-Fil-A and eat there everytime at the mall, but they don't pass out worship gatherings and have Christian music playing.

Christians and non-Christians alike, what is your opinion on this? I'm not exactly angered by it, more shocked. However, even though they have an air-hockey table in the back (I love air-hockey btw) they will never see a penny of my money. That will be my only protest.

Cheers!
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

heavymetal

RE: Christian Ice Cream Parlour?!?!?!?!?

Sun May 26, 2002 4:29 am

Just another example of how America's vibrant "Christ, Inc." is turning the wisdom and piety of a great man's words into a cheesy brand name. 'Christian' radio, 'Christian' movies, 'Christian' videos, 'Christian' bumper stickers, 'Christian' clothing...... the rush to make money off the life of a man who had nothing.

Another biz here in PB I'll be ignoring, too, Fly!

777236ER

Sun May 26, 2002 4:34 am

"...and God decreed, 'Thou shalt open icecream stalls, overcharge and close down Ben & Jerry's' and Jehova said unto Elijah, 'Let us open a Jewish...'*thunder*...'erm, Christian icecream stall and spread the word of God! In icecream form!!' So they did, and then those than ate the icecream went to heaven, but not after contracting salmonela."

Sellout, chapter 7 verse 4.
Your bone's got a little machine

Marco

Sun May 26, 2002 4:53 am

I think it's a cool idea. It's great to have the choice to go to a Christian ice cream parlour.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

AirT85

Sun May 26, 2002 5:28 am

I think its an awesome idea and dont see whats wrong with an icecream shop that plays inspirational and uplifting music, as opposed to what mainstream is playing (getting drunk sleeping around and doing drugs etc). I would definately love to check this place out if I ever get to FLA! After all, whats wrong with Living It Out?
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

heavymetal

Sun May 26, 2002 5:28 am

It's great to have the choice to go to a Christian ice cream parlour.

Marco...

What if the guy who owns the local Dairy Queen is also a Christian...just doesn't feel the need to trumpet that fact on his napkins and paper cups?

I suppose I might have a better time understanding this concept where you live, where I assume Christianity is a minority faith. But here in the States, most of our population is Christian....yet in the last few years those of us who don't feel the word Christ needs to be stamped on everything from bracelets to public school textbooks are being labelled by Christ, Inc and its' ilk as "secular".....as if we're somehow not doing it good enough for them.

A segment of this country's Christians bathe themselves in snobbery and elitism. This is another example.

advancedkid

Sun May 26, 2002 5:51 am

Hi there,
This is for sure not really Christian.
It's pure business. Many of these businesses
(Christian bookstores etc.) are owned,
run and managed by people who aren't
even religious.
I always remember Genesis (Phil Collins)
song...... Jesus he knows me..
whenever I see a Christian bookstore.
Kindest Regards,
Advanced

Superfly

Sun May 26, 2002 6:00 am

Is there any Satanic steakhouses?  Acting devilish
Bring back the Concorde

b757300

Sun May 26, 2002 6:16 am

It is a private business and they can do whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't go there.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

AC320

Sun May 26, 2002 6:18 am

This gives me a great idea! I'll open a Jewish ice cream parlour that plays Israeli folk music and Jewish prayers, has all kosher ice cream featuring flavours such as matzah-ball crunch, torah tango, wailling wall walnut, moshe's marshmallow surprise, and rabbi's rainbow sorbet. I'll make a fortune!

Anyway, I think the whole idea is rather silly. Since when does ice cream have something to do with religion? To all you Christians, I think Jesus will still love you even if you don't go and buy a scoop "blueberry bible blast"  Laugh out loud
fuddle duddle

blink182

Sun May 26, 2002 6:50 am

As long as the ice cream is good, let it be Big grin.

Seriously though, I am not totally against it in anyway, but is the Christ theme really necessary?

If they left out the religious part, I am sure they would make more business. I am not going to go out of my way to demolish the place, but if I lived in the area, they would not be getting my business.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

prosa

Sun May 26, 2002 7:26 am

If they left out the religious part, I am sure they would make more business. I am not going to go out of my way to demolish the place, but if I lived in the area, they would not be getting my business.

On the other hand, the parlor's owners may have figured out that the Christian theme actually will help business, by distinguishing the place from similar but theme-less businesses. Such an unusual (for a business) theme might draw in some non-religious people out of sheer curiosity.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

heavymetal

Sun May 26, 2002 7:54 am

It is a private business and they can do whatever they want. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Now if "Christians" would only take up that attitude towards:

-gay bars
-adult video stores
-stripclubs
-abortion clinics

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2002 8:39 am

PROSA may have a point, perhaps the theme will draw in business. Only time will tell.

AC320, your idea on a Jewish parlour right next to it crossed my mind, but then again, the Jews being such wonderful business people that they are, probably wouldn't go for it because it would subtract from business. Now back to what PROSA said, I think any new ice cream shop with some type of theme and a few arcade games would do well, Christian or not. I will update on their progress every once awhile.

AirT85, why do Christian bands have to label themselves as "Christian"? Look at Creed, obviously a very successful band that is openly religous, but they don't go sing about religion and label themself as "Christian Rock". Now the reason why Christian bands aren't to popular is because a lot of listeners aren't really Christian, therefore they don't want to listen to it. I think there would be a lot more positive music in the mainstream if these bands said, hey were gonna sing positive things, but lets not label us off from different people and other religions. They should use their Christian morale and heritage to write songs that are just as uplifting, and if the song is good, even make it on the charts. POD is another example, positive mainstream music that isn't directed at any sort of people. Other positive bands are Barenaked Ladies and Sister Hazel (which like Creed, started off as "Christian"). Catch my drift? But then again these bands may just want to sing about God and Jesus and thats all they wanna do.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

DE727UPS

Sun May 26, 2002 8:44 am

Okay....there is a good chance this store is backed by a church as a form of ministry....making money is secondary. A group of volunteer youth workers in my town are thinking of trying to open a coffee house with a Christian theme....it's not at all about money...it's about trying to reach kids in a different way....your not interested?....no harm, no foul....just walk away.

We would play the kind of Christian music we like, sponser speakers, and have bands come in....a cool place for those that are interested in that sort of thing to hang out. Too many people think that God is only found in a stuffy church....

There used to be a Mexican resturant in town that was sponsered by a church. They gave all the profits to charity, created jobs for people, and tried to help the homeless....it wasn't about making a lot of money.

I don't see how the "Christian" label, as some of you call it, could be successful as a marketing tool....there are too many who are turned off by the notion of religion...just look at the comments in this thread.

blink182

Sun May 26, 2002 10:27 am

AC320-

Great idea, and it will all be kosher too! We can't forget the menorah mint-chocolate chip, and Bubbe's Blueberry Blast! Big grin Big grin Big grin

blink  Smile
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

heavymetal

Sun May 26, 2002 12:52 pm

I don't see how the "Christian" label, as some of you call it, could be successful as a marketing tool....there are too many who are turned off by the notion of religion...just look at the comments in this thread.

De, I'm not turned off by Faith OR religion...and I'm certainly not turned off by the incredible messages of Christ. I just happen to agree with many on this thread.....the Christian Faith is being turned into, for lack of a better analogy, the Disney Company. Tee shirts, movies, music, bumper stickers, clothing....the really sad part is when I see some Christian youth minister or 'Christian rocker' say "All we want to do is reach out to the kids...to make Christ 'hip'.

De, you fly 727s for a living, and I'm jealous of ya. But my business IS marketing. Every day. And I'm here to tell you that when you strive to make something "hip", no matter what you do, eventually it ceases becoming hip. Hip, fad, "in"....they are fleeting. Christ's messages are eternal. For the life of me, I don't understand how so many Christians striving to get themselves noticed act like A) they are this vast minority in a sea of secular and agnostic murk and B) the message of Christ is so un-sellable that it needs to be marketed in this clever, repetitive and (like every other commercially marketed product) eventually very annoying ways.

But again, these people can do whatever they want....if a bracelet or a 'Left Behind' book makes them a more balanced person in their own minds fine. It's when they start in on laws and policies and politics ...and start affecting MY life....that I really bare my teeth.

vafi88

Sun May 26, 2002 1:04 pm

I would LOVE to walk in there with my AFI shirt with 3 pentograms on it! I bet people would fall over and start praying!!! HAHAHA! They can do whatever they want, I'd still not go there.

BTW- they need to open that Satan Steak house already! -good idea Superfly!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

AC320

Sun May 26, 2002 1:08 pm

They could call it "Dante's Inferno" Big grin
fuddle duddle

apathoid

Sun May 26, 2002 4:06 pm

First thing that popped into my head reading this thread was: "If I opened a thread saying I was angered that homosexuals dared to have a "gay bar" where gays were openly gay and did gay things, I would be crucified."

#1 - It's his business - he can come up with any theme he wants to. Last I checked Free Enterprise was alive and well in America.

#2 - If you don't want to praise God with your double scoop waffle cone with sprinkles, go to Baskin-Robbins. Last I checked, you didn't have to do business with someone if you didn't want to, with the possible exception of the cable monopolies.

#3 - Why let it bother you? Go get a hobby and let the Frozen Chosen enjoy their ice cream unbothered by you PC people.

If a Christian chooses to "label" himself in regards to his faith, he has every right to do so. You PC people are quick to remind the religious that gays can openly identify with their lifestyle and shouldn't be harassed, and yet you won't extend the same courtesy to others. For shame...

Of course, that is why I find so much humor with all you PC people. Keep it up... you are good for laughs.

apathoid

Sun May 26, 2002 4:12 pm

And before one of you PC people take the obvious and easy shot, I did not say the Christians are any better. Christians are the reason I don't go to church anymore, although I still have my faith in God. My point is only that you talk out of one side of your mouth slamming Christians for their intolerance, and out of the other side of your mouth you are horribly intolerant of Christian faith. Silly...Silly...Silly

TurbineBeaver

Sun May 26, 2002 8:42 pm

Chik-Fil-A is christian!?!?

In what way...?

TB

Marco

Sun May 26, 2002 9:12 pm

You don't have to go there. You have a choice.

As a Christian I would rather go to a Christian parlour, but it's my preference. No one's forcing you to go. That's a democracy. Everyone has the right to express his or her own beliefs.

I'd love to visit such a shop, the music must be awesome! Smile
Proud to be an Assyrian!

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2002 12:55 am

TB, the owner of Chick-Fil-A was a conservative Christian who built his company on the basis of his Christian beliefs and good business and it has been incredibly successful. I find their food and service to be exceptional. You can visit their website where they mention some of their Christian ideals. Plus, have you ever noticed they're never opened on Sunday?

Apathoid, good example with the gay bar. However, this ice cream shop opened with little to no resistance because we non-Christians/Christians who don't like the idea, know all these Free Enterprise rules and will just not go there. However, if a gay bar tried to open up in the same space, I wonder what group would be protesting and writing letters to the city council, while my same group would say, "oh well, but I just won't go there." Just a little counter-argument.

Marco, as I read your post, I open up a little more to the idea, but not much. The reason is because Wellington is a heavily diversified village and I don't think we should be singling out any group. Like AC320 said, then there's a Jewish shop, then Superfly's Satanistic Dante's Inferno, and then who knows whats next. That's all I'm really getting at. I'm not against it because its Christian, I'd be against any store that singled people out.

OH! And while I was driving by it last nite, I noticed a new sign they put up, "Helping to make the community a better place." As if it took a "Christian Ice Cream Parlor" to make the community a better place as opposed to the two that were already there.

All this talk on Chick-Fil-A has made me hungry! I'm out!

Marco

Mon May 27, 2002 1:07 am

FlyVirgin744,

Thanks for trying to understand. As a Christian I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on others. However I would prefer to go to a Christian parlour rather than a non-Christian parlour, so it dos cater to people like myself.

Kind Regards!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

tguman

Mon May 27, 2002 12:36 pm

I think that it is a great idea. Have Christian music in a place of business. It would be better that having to go listen to Britney Spears saying she ain't that innocent while I'm trying to eat. I live in Central America, a restaurant (bus, taxi, or any public place) just ain't the same with out music. It is annoying to me as a Christian to have to listen to those songs. However I don't make a concerted effort to make the owner/driver change the radio station.
One more thing. One of you said that if a gay bar opened up in the same place that Christians would protest it. Why? What some of you don't know is that tolerance is not biblical. Tolerance of evil (as homosexuality is in our Book) goes against the Bible. I would say it is wrong for Christian to use violence in a effort to get rid of that gay bar, but activist non-violence is a biblical precept. (I just wrote a ten page research paper on this, I feel full of ideas about this). We have to resist evil in all of its many forms
TGUMAN
Life is a Mine Field.

tguman

Mon May 27, 2002 12:39 pm

Just to be clear on one thing. God does not hate homosexuals. God hates homosexuality. God loves all people, but hates their sin. I hope this clarifies somethings. TGUMAN
Life is a Mine Field.

roguetrader

Mon May 27, 2002 1:17 pm

I think trying to profit off of a claimed affiliation with Jesus is against everything Jesus taught. He warns against making money off of religion and tells people to seek not the righteous but the non-righteous. The only record of violence Jesus took part in was against those who were turning religious sites into places of profit.

On the other hand, the people who would go to such a place for its 'Christian values' obviously don't believe in what Jesus taught, so why not profit from them? The people who go here are the same who believe it when their money-grubbing church tells them God needs money. If this business makes money off of people who think God needs money or because God has any financial interests whatsoever - thats great. I hope their laughing all the way to the bank.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

heavymetal

Mon May 27, 2002 1:56 pm

Just to be clear on one thing. God does not hate homosexuals. God hates homosexuality. God loves all people, but hates their sin. I hope this clarifies somethings. TGUMAN

No, just to be clear on another thing ....my God made homosexuals just the way they are. And my God don't do bad work.

Besides my God is better than your God.

(What a WONDERFUL world THAT stubborn insane by-product of religion has given us.)

And Apathoid, your argument is quite valid.....and if you'll notice FlyVirgin & I pointed out that they weren't getting any of our money. We did not once offer the suggestion that they be shut down.

And Virgin makes an excellent point....there are towns and cities in this country where the opening of a gay-themed establishment such as the one you offered as an analogy would be impossible. And if it did open there would be police harrassment, zoning harrassment. Maybe even a visit by that biblical scholar the Reverend Fred Phelps and his "Godhatesfags" crew. No, "FrozenChoosen" or whatever insip name they're calling themselves is enjoying far more enterprising freedom than than the "PC people" (as opposed to the JC People?) enjoy.

Besides my posts touch on the "cheese-ification" of Christ's word. What's next, prayer circles in the Wendy's drive thru lane?

Wed May 29, 2002 2:03 am

Oh man this thing wouldn't fly in Saudi Arabia. Could get the owners killed.  Sad

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 2:08 am

TNNH, wtf is that if it's not flamebait?!  Insane

Superfly

Wed May 29, 2002 2:14 am

I guess some Christians need to lick there cones in an enviornment free of secular humanist.  Smile

Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed May 29, 2002 2:15 am

What's next?
A Jewish Honey Baked Ham store or a Mormon Coffee Shop?  Laugh out loud

Ware can I get a bag of those new Arafat snacks? Big grin

Bring back the Concorde

Wed May 29, 2002 2:23 am

Is the ice-cream any good? That's all I'm interested in. Some one enlighten us!

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 2:35 am

This thread isn't about homosexuals.

Anyway I think the Christian Ice Cream shop is a great idea. It's not just about making money, one can't just assume it is, maybe the owner is a devout Christian and likes to play Christian worship music in the shop. There's nothing wrong with that. If you think there is don't go, it's as simple as that. On the other hand it just might be a scam, you never know. Either way Christian music isn't that bad Big grin.

777236ER, tnnh was actually stating his opinion which happens to be a fact also. As opposed to contantly attacking people, why don't you ever post something worth reading?  Insane
Proud to be an Assyrian!

tbar220

Wed May 29, 2002 2:35 am

What's next?
A Jewish Honey Baked Ham store or a Mormon Coffee Shop?

ROFL  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up
NO URLS in signature

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 2:42 am

Marco, ok fine. Whatever.

I suppose the same could be said about parts of America. Open a Muslim icecream shop and see how long it stays open.

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 2:47 am

I suppose the same could be said about parts of America. Open a Muslim icecream shop and see how long it stays open

At least such a shop COULD be opened in the USA. Churches aren't even allowed in Saudi for God's sake. But that's another issue, let's stick to the topic.

BTW in case you haven't been to the USA because you sound like you have no clue what you're talking about, Muslims enjoy more rights in the USA than their own countries (who are scared of islamic fundamentalism). Muslims have everything from mosques(big ones in NYC, Detroit, Chicago), to private schools, librairies, college organizations, anti-discrimination organizations, etc...

Proud to be an Assyrian!

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 2:50 am

Yes Marco, a Muslim icecream shop wouldn't be persecuted in a small Texas town, would they?

heavymetal

Wed May 29, 2002 3:01 am

"Believing... that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their Legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." --Thomas Jefferson to Danbury Baptists, 1802. ME 16:281

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 3:04 am

Who would it cater for in a small Texas town? If there is a sizeable Muslim population a Muslim ice cream shop would work, and it would be legal. Your point doesn't really make any sense. That would be like opening a mosque in a small town where only 100 Christians live. Who would it cater to?

A church in Jeddah (a church, not an ice cream shop, BUT A CHURCH) is illegal. The same goes for Riyadh and Khobar/Dammam, all of which have considerable Christian populations.

That's the difference.

Proud to be an Assyrian!

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 3:15 am

Marco, I don't want to get into this. This is another topic. TNNH's comment started this, and you backed him up. You're not telling me that a nice protestant, ex-KKK powerhouse, southern town wouldn't have a problem with an all-singing, all-dancing muslim icecream shop?

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 3:25 am

Marco, I don't want to get into this. This is another topic.

When you call someone's post a flamebait, at least be ready to back that claim up.

TNNH's comment started this, and you backed him up.

Because what he said is a fact.

You're not telling me that a nice protestant, ex-KKK powerhouse, southern town wouldn't have a problem with an all-singing, all-dancing muslim icecream shop

So now you're associating Christianity with KKK and southerners. Wow, do you love to generalize! Read the Bible before generalizing like that, racism is wrong.

Anyway I'm telling you that it would be illogical to open an ice cream shop in such a town unless there's a considerable Muslim population. There's always going to be opposition to different cultures, and this doesn't only happen in small Christian communities. It does happen in NY, London, Saudi, and lots of other places.

It wouldn't be illegal to open up such a shop nor would it meet SERIOUS opposition. That's why you have islamic centers and mosques in Alabama, Georgia and Texas. Try finding a Church in Jeddah. Yeaaaaaaa right.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 3:29 am

Right, this is my last post on this. For the record, I didn't want to get into this.

This was quite a light hearted thread, until TNNH said "Oh man this thing wouldn't fly in Saudi Arabia. Could get the owners killed."

Can you deny that?

It opened up a whole new argument just waiting to happen. How can you say it's not flamebait?

And on my generalising, I'm not. The thing is, it would happen. It's the sad truth. I'm not saying that Saudia Arabia would allow a Christian icecream parlous, but there are DEFINATLY those in the US who wouldn't let a muslim icecream parlour open.

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 3:39 am

Right, this is my last post on this. For the record, I didn't want to get into this.

Neither do I, I don't want to change the topic either.

This was quite a light hearted thread, until TNNH said "Oh man this thing wouldn't fly in Saudi Arabia. Could get the owners killed."

I agree it was light hearted until that comment, but to call it flamebait is incorrect because you can't deny that Christians (or Hindus/Buddhists/etc) are not treated properly in Saudi.

And on my generalising, I'm not. The thing is, it would happen. It's the sad truth. I'm not saying that Saudia Arabia would allow a Christian icecream parlous, but there are DEFINATLY those in the US who wouldn't let a muslim icecream parlour open

You were generalizing by calling Christians ex-KKK's and southerners.

Forget about ice cream parlours, churches aren't even allowed in Saudi. That's my point. In America not only are mosques allowed, but anything else is allowed including spreading the islamic faith in colleges/streets/etc. In Syria, Iraq, Egypt, UAE, Tunisia that is not allowed and if it is it's monitored VERY strictly. America gives more freedom to Muslims than their own countries. Some people in a community (where Muslims are virtually non-existant) might object to a muslim ice cream parlour, but at least constitutionally muslims have the right to open one.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 3:49 am

I agree it was light hearted until that comment, but to call it flamebait is incorrect because you can't deny that Christians (or Hindus/Buddhists/etc) are not treated properly in Saudi.

Calling it flamebait doesn't mean I think it's not true. It means it's inappropiate in this thread and will cause (as it has) arguements. The act of us argueing this shows that it is indeed flamebait.

Nope, I said there ARE Chrstian, ex-KKK people in the south. Can you deny this?

As for your last statement, that's a whole new topic.

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 3:56 am

Calling it flamebait doesn't mean I think it's not true. It means it's inappropiate in this thread and will cause (as it has) arguements. The act of us argueing this shows that it is indeed flamebait.

It's only flamebait if you make it one. He wasn't posing a question, he was simply stating that such a thing would be forbidden in Saudi. I know for a fact that TNNH is studying the arabic/islamic culture in university so matters like this interest him.

Nope, I said there ARE Chrstian, ex-KKK people in the south. Can you deny this?

Your implication was that Christians are generally from a KKK background and are intolerant of others. That was the picture of a typical Christian town you were trying to portray.

However that contradicts the message of Jesus Christ.

As for your last statement, that's a whole new topic

...or is it? I'm just showing you how much freedom everyone is entitled to in the USA!

God Bless America!!!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

777236ER

Wed May 29, 2002 3:59 am

Your implication was that Christians are generally from a KKK background and are intolerant of others. That was the picture of a typical Christian town you were trying to portray.

No, I said there are Christian, ex-KKK people in the south. Do you want me to say it once more? Maybe a bit slower for you?

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 4:04 am

No, I said there are Christian, ex-KKK people in the south. Do you want me to say it once more? Maybe a bit slower for you?

No you don't need to say once more, and quit it with the cliches and sarcasm, because your sarcasm does not work with me.

You were portraying a typical Christian town as one of KKK background and a lot of intolerance. That's a whooping generalization.

Proud to be an Assyrian!

Marco

Wed May 29, 2002 4:06 am

In fact it's almost like calling all Muslims terrorists, like you did in the other post. You really have to stop generalizing and start being more factual with your posts. Stop throwing emotions and sarcasm, people can see right through them.
Proud to be an Assyrian!