lehpron

How Far Back Can You Remember?

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:36 am

What do you remember? Colors, objects, people, etc.?

I remember something like standing up straight next to a car, silver/gray shiny in color, and the door handle was about a head higher than me on the right side of me: I was two years old.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Hurricane

RE: How Far Back Can You Remember?

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:39 am

I have a vivid memory of finding and giving water to a stray golden retriever when I was 2...I also remember crying when the animal control people came to take him away...
That is the farthest back I remember.
It seems odd that my oldest memory is so vivid, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

toady

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:41 am

2 years old? Damn! I can't even remember when I last had chicken for dinner....

Sonic

Sat Jun 01, 2002 3:59 am

I remember my first flight that was when I was 3 years old. I especially remember the time when the propellor stopped.

JetService

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:33 am

I remember meeting this egg while swimming in a dark alley...ok, not really.

I do recall a memory of my grandmother putting an ugly rubber mask on and sneaking up on me upstairs in her house. It terrified me and I ran down stairs and into the kitchen screaming bloody murder the whole time. I don't know how old I was, but I'm sure it was the youngest memory because all other memories largely link together and I have a perspective of their appox. time. But that one I can't place and I think the memory was burned in my brain due to the shear terror I experienced. I picture exactly what I saw for about 10 seconds that horrible moment. I don't remember what I was doing prior, not what I did after, but I'm sure granny felt bad gave me some lovin'.
"Shaddap you!"

Nik

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:37 am

A bit off topic (a lot actually)...
Hurricane, what is your connection to Lyngby?

Nik

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:38 am

Is it an IP-thing....But I'm not in Lyngby????

Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:50 am

I can remember being in nursery school, 1976-77.

Hurricane

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:08 am

Lyngby...hmmm...must be a bug in the html code I put in my profile...
How close are you to Lyngby? I'm sure your computer has some connection to Lyngby, somehow... Maybe your ISP comes from there?

TWAL1011

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:40 am

I remember being in a car accident when I was 3. Actually, I don't remember the accident itself, only the ambulance ride.

Transactoid

Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:46 am

I can remember some stuff back to when I was about 3.

Psychologists generally agree that 3 is the earliest age people can remember back to.

EGGD

Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:42 am

2 years old? Damn! I can't even remember when I last had chicken for dinner....

lmao, maybe you are vegetarian  Big grin.

I can remember a giant thunderstorm when I lived in Holland, I was 1 year old. In fact I can remember alot about when I lived in Holland, and I lived there until I was 2 (I can remember the house, the way to the shops from the house, some family friends, the car we had, some of the holidays we went on, some bday parties, some fights with my brother, all before I was 2 1/2).

I can also remember Leiden, Noordwijk, Lisse, Keukenhof and the journey to Den Haag and finally the airport when we moved to Manchester. Then I remember arriving in Manchester and then living at our grandparents.

Alot! Shame I can't rmemeber anything about last week.

Regards

Dan

jessman

Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:21 am

I can remember when I was in a car seat fussing because I couldn't be understood by my family yet. Crazy. When I was in Kindergarten I told my mom I remembered being a sea-horse. That's interesting

GDB

Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:49 am

I can remember my mum talking to another person on the high street, mum said 'how are you getting on with the new money?'
So a reference to the UK switchover to decimal currency, which would have been when I was 4.
I can also remember the dog we had a bit earlier than that, he was a huge, friendly black creature to me, in fact he was a medium sized mongrel.
(Apparently he'd have a rubber bone in his mouth, and I'd pull it, and if that didn't work, prise his jaws open to get it, he never so much as growled, but I cannot really remember doing that).

donder10

Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:12 am

Errr,what were you saying?

OzarkD9S

Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:29 am

my earliest memory is at age 3.5 y/o when I slid down a hot aluminum sliding board and burnt the backs of my fat little thighs. took me about 3 years to get back on one.  Smile
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

trickijedi

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:02 pm

My earliest memory form when I was a kid was... oh wait... I just forgot it.

Maybe I'll remembr it after dinner.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

9V-SVE

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:10 pm

My earliest memory=1994 or 1995, I ran into my apartment's toilet, it was still wet, so I slid. Parents rushed me to hospital to get stiches.

prosa

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:24 pm

I can remember a very little bit about a babysitter who watched me when I was 3 and 4 years old. There are much better memories of a nursery school I attended at age 5. Oddly enough, I remember almost nothing of first grade at age 6, just a few disconnected bits and pieces.
The first historical event I remember is JFK's assassination, which happened when I was 6 years old in first grade (obviously one of the aforementioned bits and pieces).
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

vafi88

Sat Jun 01, 2002 12:41 pm

I remember sitting in one of those beds (with the walls around it) and having to pee really badly while my grandpa was asleep and snoring like hell. This happened when I was about 2 or almost 2.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

lehpron

Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:52 am

Yeah generally, 2 years. My brother says he only remembers stuff about our house here in San Diego since we moved and nothing about Chicago. We came here in circa December '86, he was 2 as well.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

vickybiccy

Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:43 am

I'm not sure how old I was, but I remember my dad taking a photo of me when I had "eaten" blackberry and apple sauce but most of it had missed my mouth and had ended up everywhere else!! I can remember him and my mum laughing their heads off at me!

I also remember when my younger sister ate some cat food (she's lovely really!!!! LOL)

One of my nicest early memories is when I had chicken pox and the spots were itching me terribly. My dad gave me a big cuddle and made me forget about it!

N751PR

Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:28 pm

I know some aviation memories back when I was a toddler lets see:
One when I was in a airshow and got to see the inside of a C-5 and the other one when I was in Kalamazoo Airport back when I was around 2 or 3. And a few toddler memories on annoying my baby brother and cousin Big grin.
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

NWA

Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:31 pm

you guuys will not belive this, but its true. I was 1. I remember the recreational building at a campground in gatlinberg. I have a great memory. I remember alot of stuff from when I was 2 or 3.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

dinker225

Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:32 pm

I remember what I had for dinner a few nights ago but thats about it. J/K, i remember when I was only a few years old my first visit to an amusement park. Pretty lame since I wasn't able to go on the rides.
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

NWA742

Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:00 pm

I'll never forget that one summer day when I was 2 years old.

With my parents, and big brother, we were driving from Austin to Amarillo. Around 5:00PM, we stopped in a small town called Aspermont, and went to an Allsups to get something to eat. I remember being inside the Allsups, and grabbing a dum-dum sucker without my parents knowing. About 30 miles away from Aspermont (hint: MIDDLE OF NOWHERE), I pulled out the sucker and choked on it.

My dad did CPR on me as my mom drove the van at very high speeds back to the Aspermont hospital. I was minutes away from death, and only remember waking up at the hospital, where they brought me a box of pop-cicles. My dad saved my life that day, I will never forget it.

Since then, everytime I've been through Aspermont, I saw it, that hospital, and it scares the living hell out of me when I see it.

Regards,

NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Big777jet

Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:32 pm

I remembered very well to see my mom was standing and clapping at me when I was in the crib. I was 1 year old!!!!! I'm serious and it's not joking! I have a very strong memory all my life. I remembered when I was raised.

Big777jet

roguetrader

Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:48 pm

This is a somewhat major topic of discussion in my family. This and common dreams we've all had is a matter of record for every one related to me. The third, physical component of this data is the age when we could first jump off of the ground with two feet.

I think to really figure out your first memory, you have to be asked about it while you're still a kid, no later than a teenager. Also, there has to be a parent around with memory still fairly recent to accurately judge which things came first.

In my family, the tried and true method is to start asking the kid when they're about 7 to describe things they remember when they were younger - its usually only significant events that really stick out. So, it can be dated fairly easily. For instance, I remember: a hurricane when the lights went out, first airplane trip, a new red car my parents bought, etc... much the same stuff a lot of people first remember.

My parents have pinpointed my first memory to about 20 months. Apparently, I used to sit and watch my dad as he got ready for work in the morning. One day, he shaved off his moustache! I can still remember the moustache hairs falling down the drain in the green sink! This was such a momentous event that it became my first memory that I can recall.

This topic is very interesting and good family entertainment. Another fun thing to do around my family is to reveal all the things you did behind their back and other secrets you have that you can reveal starting in about your mid twenties, but I've still got several of these left to spring on my parents.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Metwrench

Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:15 pm

I remember walking sideways along the fireplace hearth. The floor was hardwood, the hearth was smoothed brick. I loved the sensation of sliding side to side with my heals on the brick, the balls of my feet on the floor, and the arches of my feet sliding along the smooth edges of the brick. I was 20 months old when we moved from that apartment.

I've since seen a few pictures of that place and of course my Mother says I'm crazy, couldn't possibly remember living there!

Funny, when ever I have my shoes and socks off, I like sliding the arches of my feet over something smooth! And I remember!