TechRep
Topic Author

Name That Punk Rock Band

Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:22 am

How many Punk Rock bands can you name from the 70's/80's. From memory only no cheating, add to this list.

Crass
Exploited
SubHumanz
The Dickies
Black Flag
Fear
Dead Kennedys
Agent Orange
Seven Seconds
Sex Pistols
Minor Threat
TSOL
Aggression
Millions of Dead Cops (MOD)
Crossion of Conformity
Generation X
The Clash

Well That's all I can think of see if you can add some more. I am going to start searching the net for MP3 punk stuff need some more bands to search for.

TechRep

FlyVirgin744

RE: Name That Punk Rock Band

Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:30 am

Ramones

blah blah blah (so it would post)
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

IHadAPheo

Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:33 am

The Ramones.. Gabba Gabba Hey, just be sure that when you play "Rocket to russia" your mics wear their headphones

Yours
Ihadapheo Ramone
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

vafi88

Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:29 am

The Bruisers
Bad Religion ~still here today
Dead Kennedys ~ love em!
Misfits~I think the 80's or nineties

Ummmmmm... I think that's it. I really love punk, but can't put a finger on some names. heard of a lot of punk bands too.

Try searching for Dropkick Murphys~they're a ninetees band though.
Or the Bruisers, but I doubt you will find much, if any.

I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

ExitRow

Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:36 am

Do the Plasmatics count?

God I miss the electrical tape.

Restless in Peace Wendy...

Saloth Sar

Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:41 am

Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Ramones

Blondie? More like new wave though.

IHadAPheo

Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:49 am

opps I forgot.....

The Boys Next Door

The Birthday Party

Yours
Ihadapheo

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

LHMark

Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:11 pm

Hunger Artist
F.O.D
S.O.D.
Agnostic Front
Circle Jerks
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
The Buzzcocks (yes, they count)
Alien Sex Fiend
The Dead Boys

Wendy O. Williams (of plasmatics fame) was from my oft-maligned (deservedly so) hometown of Rochester, NY. So was the guy from Animotion.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Metwrench

Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:24 pm

We didn't have any "punk rock" in the 70's!

pacificjourney

Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:31 pm

Stiff little fingers !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

jared

Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:37 pm

The Cramps.

TSOL are also still playing.

TechRep
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:18 pm

Some great additions that I forgot about. What do you mean no punk in Late 70's? What about The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The New York Dolls, The Stooges and The Velvet Undergorund.

TechRep

xtristarx

Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:00 am

TechRep,
damn, thats the first time i meet here someone who knows bands like MINOR THREAT, BLACK FLAG, 7SECONDS, CRASS or MDC. i really thought i'm the only one who into punk/hardcore and airplanes. the bands you have listet are also the first ones i would name, maybe also BUZZCOCKS, RAMONES, D.O.A. or some hardcore bands like YOUTH OF TODAY, SS DECONTROL (and you have to add SSD to your mp3 list man!)...but thats more 80's stuff. what about german punk bands like SLIME, STRASSENJUNGS or the german hardcore band SPERMBIRDS. have you heard about that MINOR THREAT reunion??!! and let me know, did you played/play in a punkband? xtristarx

TechRep
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:34 am

Although I was a scooter riding Mod, I attended many punk shows with Punk friends during the 80's. Here are a few I went to see.

The Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles Ca.
Exploited
Crass
Dead Kennedys
GBH (grievous bodily Harm)

Melbourne Florida
Seven Seconds
Corrosion of Comromity (early when they were punk)

Buena Park California
The Dickies
Agent Orange

Beach Concert in Seal Beach, Ca. (What a fucking gig that was)
Specimen
Alien Sex Fiend
Tupelo Chain Sex
The Damned
The Misfits
Christian Death

Madam Wongs West, Ca.
Ten Inch Men
Stiff Little Fingers

Miami Florida
Revolting Cocks
Psychedelic Furs

Some other small venue stuff in California
The Three O' Clock or the formally Salvation army (also got in their video for Jet Fighter Man)
Soiuxe and The Banshees
The Cure
The Untouchables (Ska)
The Specials (Ska)
Madness many many times
Big Country
Husker Du
Bad Brains (beach fest)
Social Distortion (Six Flags Magic Mountain)

Many of these gigs were in California where I grew up but I seen a lot more while in the Air Force. I could never get my Air Force friends to attend the gig's with me. Only fight I ever got into was the Olympic Auditorium gig with Exploited. That concert got way out of hand including about 300 punks fighting outside and the whole place was thrashed. It was the last punk gig ever thrown at that venue. I have never been in a band but wish I could have.

TechRep

pacificjourney

Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:40 am

Techrep, The Jam, The Specials, Husker Du, Psychedelic Furs. Susie (sp.) and the Banshees were punk bands ?

Since when and how ?

TechRep
Topic Author

Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:43 am

Well they are not just pointing out some bands from that era I went to see. The Jam can be considered early punk depending who you talk too. Not to me the were very Mod. Punk is a state of mind anyway, I am still a punk at heart and would still go to gig's today if my wife would let me.... Smile))

TechRep

xtristarx

Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:02 am

wow TechRep, there are some bands in youre list, man, i du´nno what i would give to see them, 7SECONDS or HÜSKER DÜ... damn! I'm involved into that punk and hardcore now since 10 years. i have played in several bands, right now in a more metall styled new school band but also in a coverband (SLIME, that german punk band). i still running punkshows here in my town, and i take pictures of punkbands in a professional way. i'm from germany and lots of the bands in youre list where never here. i saw SOCIAL DISTORTION and stuff like that - great! actually there are a lot of unknown punk and hardcore bands from the u.s. which are on tour here. i would give everything to see BLACK FLAG!!!!!! TechRep - stay punk, i add you to my respected users list just because of PUNKROCK! xtristarx

pacificjourney

Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:12 am

techrep, ... if my wife would let me ... I feel your pain brother.

xtristarx

Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:10 pm

pacific...so you are also into it?! lets open the airliners.net punkrock-forum  Big grin

TechRep
Topic Author

The History LA Punk Told By TechRep

Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:27 pm

We defiantly had many Punk movements in the Early 80's. First it seemed the Oi' or Nazi-Punk movement was gaining a lot of momentum but it was quickly rejected. Many bands rejected this movement including Crass on their "Noise not Music" tour which I attended. The Olympic Auditorium melee was a directly related to the large number of Nazi-Punks in attendance. This movement went underground shortly after and became the more popular White Power movement that swept the LA region. This group was trouble they created some very violent gangs that started with FFF (Fight For Freedom) after a violent shootout among their members the group broke off into two groups. One group FFF was the less violent Anarchist movement and a more violent off-shoot was then formed called The L.A.D.S.

The LADS or (LA Death Squad) were a feared Oi group that had roamed the LA streets causing random acts of violence. These two gangs spurred an anti-Nazi punk movement which causing a backlash, only the most fervent members remained and the Nazi-punk movement died around 1991.

After the late 70's now into the early 80's The Clash, Sex Pistols and New York dolls were being rejected for more aggressive music. The birth of early 80's punk was now formed with, The Exploited, The Dead Kennedy's CRASS, Black Flag, GBH, Fear and the Germs. The movement really gained mass appeal when small movie called "The decline of western civilisation" was released. After this movie punk really took off and hit probably the peak in USA around 1984-1985.

The movement remained non-violent until around 1985 when I stated noticing punk gangs appear. Skin heads were everywhere and punk gigs became more and more violent. As more and more gangs attended gigs I quite going to them. The slam pits became dangerous and fighting was the norm instead of the extreme. Early on fighting was considered fighting against your brothers but later younger and younger punks with something to prove became the norm.

I then started to attend smaller more nitch punk groups, like Seven Seconds, The Dickies and Agent Orange and met Kevin Seconds on more than a few occasions. At about this same time Skate punk was becoming popular and punk was starting to be aired on mainstream radio, the kiss of death for punk music. Punk can not survive in the mainstream, the movement is design to be underground and not intended for mainstream audiences. In all honesty without the Fad movement behind punk most escape to another Fad that is not exposed. At that time the other Fads were Mod (The Jam, The Lambrettas, Secret Affair), Ska (Madness, The Specials, The Selector and The English Beat), New Romantic (Roman Holiday, Duran Duran, Adam Ant) , Gloom ( Alien Sex Fiend, Specimen, Tupelo Chain Sex and Christian Death).

I had many friends in all scenes, I was a Mod, so of course I had lots of Mod friends but to improve the Mod numbers to compete with Punk, The Mod-Ska movement was then intertwined into one group. Shortly after 1985 most of these Fads died because of mainstream popularity. I stopped listening to all forms of underground music soon after that because everything got too aggressive and violent.

The modern youth of today in an ever increasing attempt to show up his parents has brought most of the modern underground movements to violent ends. Most smart youth will not enter into underground movements for fear of violence, they will typically listen to the music from a topically, this allows for bands to sell albums but the movement suffers as a whole. It is my belief that the best years are behind underground movements, the 1980's were the pinnacle. You will now receive pre-packaged establishment cookie cutter tailored punk/ska music from bands like No Doubt, Green Day and Rancid.

TechRep

RE: The History LA Punk Told By TechRep

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:49 am

Don't forget Lard. It's that same dude that was the lead singer for Dead Kennedys.

'Speed

TechRep
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:58 am

JELLO BIAFRA was DK lead singer. Dead Kennedy's still tour.

http://www.deadkennedys.com/tour.htm

Hey look they are going to Germany.

TechRep

srbmod

Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:02 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Sham 69. Some people consider them an Oi! band and a skinhead band, but they really refer to themselves as a punk band and really have never liked the fact they had a skinhead following. On many punk compilations, bands some label as OI! are on them. As for The Jam being a punk band. They got lumped in with the Punk Rock crowd because they were young, and didn't dress like everyone else. Of course, Bruce Foxton, bassist for The Jam is now a member of Stiff Little Fingers. The Police have even been called a punk band. Other punk bands include Blondie (they were punk before they became pop), the Go Gos (same as Blondie), Talking Heads, Television, and Wayne/Jayne County. As for Siouxsie and the Banshees, yes they started off as a punk rock band. Their first show was at the infamous Punk Rock Festival at the 100 Club in London. Siouxsie Sioux was a member of the infamous 'Bromley Contiengent' that followed around the Sex Pistols and was on stage with the Pistols during the legendary Bill Grundy incident. In fact, Sid Vicious and Robert Smith were both early members of the Banshees, as was Marco Perroni, who later joined up with Adam Ant after the Ants were poached by Malcolm Maclaren. Adam Ant go roped into the New Romantic tag mainly because the way he dressed. The Jam were the reluctant leaders of the late 70s 'Mod Revivial' because of 'Quadrophenia' and the fact that The Jam were a mod influenced band, and cited such 60s Mod bands as the Who and The Small Faces as influences. Another punk rock band not mentioned are The Nips (aka the Nipple Erectors), led by that drunken anomaly himself, Shane MacGowan. They has also been lumped in with the Mod Revival because of Shane's friendship at the time with Paul Weller of The Jam. I consider myself to be a Mod somewhat, but something about the energy that punk has really gets me going.

Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:40 am

JELLO BIAFRA was DK lead singer. Dead Kennedy's still tour.

Easy there chief. The fact of the matter is that I don't give a flying shit about any of this stuff. I'm just saying, don't forget Lard. That's all. Besides, if you are so smart, then who was the lead singer of Lard anyway?

'Speed

Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:58 am

Also, I don't recall anyone mentioning Fugazi.

'Speed

TechRep
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:03 am

If you don't give a shit I don't either. I could care less who Lard is, I know they use Lard here in Texas to make Mexican food.

TechRep

vafi88

Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:16 am

Yes, Yes, Jello Biafra WAS the lead singer for DK, but ever since the band sued him for Jello not wanting to put his music in a tv commercial, the band broke up...Now East Bay Ray is the lead singer for the *new DK* who'se name is changed from Dead Kennedys to DK kennedys (which makes no sence whatsoever to me)
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

ExitRow

Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:37 am

Lard also has two members from Ministry.

Where were all you punks when people were baggin' on Dee Dee Ramone in this thread:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/233837/

It was beginning to sound like a D.A.R.E. lecture.

xtristarx

Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:43 am

TechRep, i agree 100% with you. i also think that the whole think lost its...yes, its soul. all that crap like NO DOUBT or also BLINK 182. there just on that train now. we had in germany the same problems with nazi skins. we actually have. i grew up in east germany and when i came into punk there were also lots of oi-skin bands but after a short time that oi scene turned complete into a dumb fascist movement. the problems with nazi skins were so great that i moved into another town. sometimes it was very dangerous with those stupids. the most kids i see today are more interestet in the newest records the best stile and stuff like that. political aspects are totally unimportant. and that all isnt "underground" anymore. there still lots of labels but its not the same like before. i had also a small lable years ago, i oput out some shitty records but i did just because i knew the bands (they were friends) or liked the music. today the most labels are more interested in the money and they also act like the big musicbizz.
o.k., so lets salute to Dee Dee. RAMONES where damn great. but does anyone remember Dee Dee's hip hop project?! and his time with G.G. ALLIN AND THE MURDER JUNKIES? ...my god, G.G. ALLIN!
and whats the biggest crap today? for me its definately all that stupid "new metall" stuff like LIMP BISQUIT, PAPA ROACH, PUDDLE OF MUDD....or the MARYLIN MANSON - that clown...i mean, why are there so many people who take him serious.
and here some good punk/hardcore stuff from today:
the locust, n.r.a., american heartbreak, turbonegro (TechRep, check them out, its a homosexual punkrock band from norway - you wouldnt believe how they rock!!!), chixdiggit, j-church....damn, there still good bands

Aeri28

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:26 pm

Anybody remember Shannon from the 'Castration Squad'? yikes

IHadAPheo

Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:36 pm

ok, now for something with a little humor

Tenpole Tudor

ah yes men in armor and guitars ??

yours
Ihadapheo (Blixa)

srbmod

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:57 am

Ah, I forgot about Ten Pole Tudor. Me being the Pistols fan that I am. I still love their version of "Friggin in the Riggin" from 'The Great Rock n' Roll Swindle'. Another punk rock band I forgot about was Ian Dury (R.I.P.) and the Blockheads. Sure he was a geezer back in the 70s, but he fit right in the pigeon hole as well. And he was the man behind the immortal "Sex and Drugs and Rock n' Roll."

qantas744

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:05 pm

I have a couple more to add:

The Undertones, not strictly speaking punk but if The Jam can get on this list there must also be room for the creators of one of the best records ever....Teenage kicks.

Also, The Anti-Nowhere League are one of my favourite bands, they had a mini revival a few years back, and their song (if you could call it that) 'So What' is a classic-and also VERY rare to have on vinyl (45RPM).

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

IHadAPheo

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:17 pm

punk could be..........

Gang of Four

Buzzc**ks

Killing Joke

Yours
Blixa

king penguin

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:30 pm

...hooray hooray hooray-ay
over the hills with the swords of 1000 men...

glad to see husker du and stiff little fingers mentioned above... and red lorry yellow lorry! here's a few more:

the forgotten rebels
teenage head
uk subs -- what letter of the alphabet have they got to now??
the damned
richard hell & the voidoids

of course, it's all in the mind, you know -- which is a good enough reason to throw out a few more names: the fall, the mekons, joy division, magazine, the stranglers, new model army...

and, for asking the all important question, "but why no nipples in the daily express?" ... john cooper clarke

cheers,

kp

IHadAPheo

Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:45 pm

King penguin, good list

the forgotten rebels.. I'm trippin' on heroin !!!

Teenage head ........ Disgusteen

What no Nash the Slash

Ah yes the forgotten rebels.. here is a story for ya
It's 1980 in Buffalo a group of us are outside of the Continental during a F' Rebels show and a group of conventioneers from the convention center pull up and want to take our pictures saying..."we all don't have people like you all in Alabama"

Yours
Blixa

king penguin

Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:09 pm

Cheers, ihadapheo

ah yes, lots of good Rebels stories...

I think this was from a Buffalo gig too -- usual wide-eyed innocents (?!) visiting backstage, who catch sight of Mickey (who'd seen them first) going into a drooling, slobbering fit. Even wider-eyed, somewhat worried stares from the visitors, not made any better by the rest of the band helpfully explaining "oh yes, withdrawal always takes him like that..."

But if you were in this general (CFNY listening) area back then, here's a few more (local-ish) names, not strictly punk, that might ring a bell:

The Demics
The Shakers -- the 3rd of the "Big 3" Hamilton bands we all looked up to
The Mods
Norda
Sturm Group
Rent Boys Inc.
Sheep Look Up
Polkaholics
The Government
A Neon Rome -- my band opened for them once, here in Hamilton. The Cowboy Junkies were 2nd on the bill. This was back in 87 or 88 -- At least one of us made it out of obscurity...

and probably a lot more i'm forgetting at the moment. But it's too late...

Cheers,

kp

IHadAPheo

Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:19 pm

ah yes, CFNY "the spirit of radio" yikes 1987-88 I was an old man of 25-26 and had drifted slightly out of the scene.

so I'll babble on about
The Factor
The Fems
Celibites

I'll say hi to Mar the Teenage Head photograper

Yours
a formerly very bitter but now very sleepy
Ihadapheo