b757300

French Centre-right Storms Ahead (CNN Title)

Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:38 am

It seems that the "right" is gaining ground in Europe. Now if someone wants to flame me, go right ahead. I haven't dissed anyone or anything, just posted a news article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/06/09/france.election/index.html
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

777236ER

RE: French Centre-right Storms Ahead (CNN Title)

Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:44 am

This isn't the "evil" right, it's the centre right. The national front asshole have actually lost ground. The centre-right parties "storming ahead" are regular right parties, if you will. It's CENTRE-RIGHT. It's nothing new in the EU. Remember the Tories in Britain? The FAR-right have lost ground.
Your bone's got a little machine

b757300

Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:50 am

Right, Left, Conservative, Liberal are all relative terms depending on the part of the world you are talking about.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:52 am

Well, the leftwings in France are idiots, so this may be a welcome change..
-Clovis

Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:03 am

This was bound to happen; the left had all but dissolved into a melange of unorganized and conflicting opinions and ideologies.....the "cohabitation" between a right-wing Chirac, and a left-wing parliament never did France any favours, according to the media reports.

Hopefully with a right-wing parliament and President, some things in France *might* change for the better; I presume the French decided they had been disillusioned enough by years of cohabitation, and are hoping against hope that the new arrangement might make the government (or at least certain politicians, such as le monsieur President) a little less corrupt and more in touch with the electorate's feelings.

Look forward to reading French members' opinions/thoughts--mine are taken solely from the British press; and I'd like to know the truth....  Big grin

Regards

MONARCH

Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:50 am

It is fantastic news that the centre-right has gained ground throughout Europe. Lets hope the Conservatives are returned to power when the next General Election is called in the UK in 2005/2006.

Best regards

Monarch  Smile

prosa

Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:09 am

This isn't the "evil" right, it's the centre right. The national front asshole have actually lost ground. The centre-right parties "storming ahead" are regular right parties, if you will. It's CENTRE-RIGHT. It's nothing new in the EU. Remember the Tories in Britain? The FAR-right have lost ground.

What's more, the "center right" in France and other European countries is probably much closer ideologically to the (liberal) Democrats than to the (conservative) Republicans in the United States.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"