Alpha 1
Topic Author

Death Of A Sports Broadcast Legend

Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:57 pm

http://espn.go.com/classic/obit/s/2002/0618/1396508.html

I'll never forget his call in the '88 World Series, when Kirk Gibson hit the game-winning homer off of Dennis Eckersley. Classic.

And I'm sure the Good Lord met him with Buck's favorite line after a Cardinal's win: "That's a winner!"

Not too many of the great sports voices left anymore.

Stretch 8

RE: Death Of A Sports Broadcast Legend

Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:43 am

Jack Buck was an icon from an era of icons. He was one of the greats. With the retirement this year of the Tigers' Ernie Harwell, baseball will be less interesting for me.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

KROC

Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:24 am

A huge loss. Buck was a great great man. One of the few who will leave an impeckable legacy behind. Luckily we, and baseball has Joe Buck to continue on as an equally good man.

Boeing Nut

Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:33 am

People often say of great people when they "leave" that they will never be replaced, or there will never be another like him. But in the case of Jack Buck, this couldn't be any closer to the truth. Not many people outside of St. Louis know what kind of man he really was. Yes, everyone in the sports world knew of Jack Buck's career milestones. But the man was incredibly generous. It was not unusual for Jack Buck to do nearly 250 charity events in one year!! He never forgot that he came from a poor background. He would talk to every employee of a local restaurant, not just the top brass. He was known for giving $100 to each janitorial employee of KMOX radio. The man was just an incredible individual, not just a sportscaster. I for one won't be able to listen to another Cardinal game on the radio and not miss Jack Buck's famous voice.

He has been called the voice and even the soul of St. Louis. There is definitely a huge void in this city tonight.

For you Jack.....THATS' A WINNER!!!!!..

and so are you Jack! We'll miss you terribly.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.