ly772

Should Russia Be Allowed To Join Nato?

Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:00 am

I think that Russia shouldn't be allowed to join NATO. NATO's purpose was to defend against Russia.

Maybe I'm wrong. Any comments?

david b.

RE: Should Russia Be Allowed To Join Nato?

Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:21 am

They should restart the Warsaw Pact  Big thumbs up
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:30 am

Warsaw is in Nato! and yes of course russia should be brought in Nato has a new purpose now that the cold war is over.

CPDC10-30

Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:34 am

I don't think Russia would want to join NATO - kind of an embarassment of sorts. I know they are not too keen in having neighbouring countries join NATO either.

swissgabe

Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:39 pm

I think the best thing that could happen would be Russia in the NATO. I think both sides could profit of this and it would be another step into trust between the former East and West and both sides could be controlled of each other.

With Russia the NATO could be another useful organisation. I would love to see other nations to join the NATO too...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

yyz717

Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:58 pm

No! Russia's democratic history is still recent & suspect, as are their territorial intentions. Russia cannot be trusted (yet).

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

swissgabe

Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:55 pm

Well, they country were I life is not (yet) a NATO member, well, just to mention that I'm happy that we got at least the UN a few month ago...

Yyz717
I don't think that without doing anything and not working together with Russia the current situation could change. To trust into someone you have to give them a chance and as long as there are people like Putin in the government I don't think that this is the wrong way for a better Russian future. The things they have done after 1990 with that what they had, I don't think that other nations could have done this better...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

go canada!

Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:24 pm

Russia has done very well since the fall of communism, replacing a whole culture and society is not easy.

Russia being part of nato makes russia and nato stronger than russia on the outsides. nato has taken on a new role, fighting terror and becoming involved in smaller wars, the focus in the future will be on a battle between the countries of the middle east and the west. Russia on side will mean that it will not put its lot in with the middle eastern countries.

Russia is fighting a war on terror as well, it can only help nato to have russia further involved, otherwise you run the risk of russia setting up its own alliance.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

JAL

Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:37 pm

Russia should be allowed to join NATO but the Russians don't want to join.
Work Hard But Play Harder

kolobokman

Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:52 am

That's right JAL, majority of the Russians would not want to join. But some kind of cooperation is welcome.

NATO(US) wants to pull Russia in in Middle Eastern businness, this is something we would not want right now. To begin, start buying Russian weapons, they are cheaper, just as good and made to fit nato standards. :]

artiom
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post