Getting From HNL To Waikiki

Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:41 pm

I will be travelling to Hawaii next month, and and am wondering what is the best way to get from Honolulu Int'l Airport (PHNL) to our hotel (Ohana Waikiki Tower) using public transportation?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

nwa man

RE: Getting From HNL To Waikiki

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:44 pm

UAL1837-
If you feel adventuresome, you can try TheBus...Honolulu's (very good) public transportation system. It takes some getting used to, which I don't recommend for the trip from Waikiki to your hotel.

Taxis are expensive (around $30 from HNL to Waikiki).

Go for the Waikiki Shuttle Bus...it's a blue bus, and it parks outside the UAL/NWA baggage claim areas. Walk across the main road to the bus stand and look for the Waikiki Shuttle signs. It's pretty cheap ($10-$15 for a round trip ticket). Downsides are...it could take a while (I was lucky the second time- the first stop at the HHV, but the first time to the Hyatt it took over 1.5 hours).

Also, you may be one of the lucky ones whose hotel has a free shuttle... simply call from the phones near baggage.

If you're still stuck when you get there, check with one of the Dept. of Tourism reps at the airport, they'll be more than happy to help you out.

Enjoy Hawaii! If you have any other questions, post 'em here or e-mail me at weaves320@yahoo.com.

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

nwa man

Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:51 pm

Also, forgot to add...fares on TheBus (public transportation) are very cheap, around $1 if memory serves me correctly, it just might not be the best option for someone not willing to navigate after stepping off a long transpacific flight.

Check out http://www.thebus.org for more info. You'll probably have to transfer at Ala Moana Center to get to Waikiki from HNL. Call or email your hotel, asking for the stop you need on TheBus, as it can be tricky if you're not used to bus transportation.

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:08 am

Thanks a lot NWA man!! I've been to Hawaii before, just never stayed on O'ahu. We've always connected to one of the neighbor islands. I've been to Maui 3 times, the Big Island once, and Kauai once.

You ever been to Lanikai beach?? I want to go there, need info on that too!