Marco
Topic Author

The New World Trade Center - Awesome!

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:00 pm

http://www.wtc2002.com

Check out the design for the new WTC. It's amazing! What a great architect!

Proud to be an Assyrian!

ly772

RE: The New World Trade Center - Awesome!

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:06 pm

Read this:
The Twin Towers were 1320 Feet high. Mr Turner proposes to raise the structures to a height of 1449 feet, which, with the communications tower, will create the world’s tallest building at 1750 feet.

The concept comprises of five (5) cylindrical towers topped by an 11 story pyramid, arising from an enclosed, transparent, climatically controlled landscaped biosphere.

The fifth central tower accomodates 50 high speed elevators, each named after a State of The United States of America. The elevators are linked to the towers by transit levels every 10 floors, and two, seven story hydroponically landscaped galleries unify the massive aerial structures at the 45th and 75th levels.

The five circular floors atop the towers will include two revolving restaurant floors (one 'a la carte' International cuisine, one International buffet cuisine), two revolving tourist observation platforms with the fifth being the conference center for the 11 story ‘boutique hotel’ in the form of a pyramid. (For example, Hyatt-In-The Sky)

A total of 111 floors rise above the sidewalks of Lower Manhattan.

The below-grade service areas (seven storys) and subway lines will extend under the entire site, above which, the domed enclosure of the Biosphere will accommodate commercial, residential, entertainment and related functions, including convention facilities, concert, opera, and theater halls along with recreation areas.

Within the Biosphere there will be 2833 living trees planted. Each living tree will be named and a plaque set at its base as a living memorial to those who lost their lives on September 11th, 2001.

Marco
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:08 pm

LY772

I read it. It sounds awesome! I hope this project goes through. It will show those terrorists that America will get through this tragedy!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

saintsman

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:09 pm

Very impressive but it's going to be controversial.

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:10 pm

Sorry, I don't think it looks that great - very reminiscent of Canary Wharf in London. This is the 21st Century, and such an important project as this should be as futuristic and as ground-breaking as possible.

ly772

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:10 pm

Saintsman: What is going to be controversial?

FlyVirgin744

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:12 pm

Looks like something from Star Wars or SimCity 2000/3000. I like the part about security:

Our Cyber City will have a State of the Art External Security System which at this stage evolves around "Sound Waves" which has the capacity at a specific frequency to repel flying objects up to a five mile circumference. We will seek support from the political system to bring about an edict that a "Five Mile No Fly Zone" area is put into effect around the island of Manhattan.

If they can really do that, I'm for it.

Overall, I like it.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

L-188

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:13 pm

I am surprised that Art Bell hasn't covered that security system yet.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Marco
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:15 pm

Saintsman I think you mean the families of the tragedy will find it controversial, right? If so, they are planning on building a biosphere on the ground floor with 2,833 trees named after each victim of 9/11 as a memorial. I think that's a nice gesture.

SAS23, I have spoken to several architects and engineers and they were all impressed by the design. If you read the webpage you will most probably be impressed. It's very futuristic, you can't deny that!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

saintsman

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:18 pm

LY722,

By controversial I don't mean the building itself but the fact as to whether they should rebuild on the site. There are lots of different factions on that issue.

asbg

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:22 pm

Even though it look a bit bombastic I love the design.
I just don't know what will the new New York skyline will look like.

The new WTC has a much more modern design that the other buildings.

cfalk

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:33 pm

Not the most aesthetic design, but the good thing looks like the structures support each other. A similar attack to that of last year might not be as successful (you have to admit, building this thing will be an open invitation to 9/11 happening again)

But it's far better than admitting dwelling on defeat by leaving the area bare. Rebuild!

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Klaus

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:41 pm

Visually, it has a bit too much defiance and a bit too little elegance for me. Especially the pyramid looks "tacked on" and totally unrelated to the rest.

But the overall concept looks pretty good...

asbg

Fri Jul 05, 2002 10:54 pm

Is there are reason that they chose to build 4 towers?
Does the number 4 mean anything?

Sam.

9V-SVE

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:07 pm

Doesn't look as good as the downed one...

Marco
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:07 pm

Sam they're actually five. I think there's also another cylindrical tower in the center!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:12 pm

It looks fantastic.

I can't wait.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

asbg

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:21 pm

Oops I didn't realize it was 5  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Does the 5 mean anything or it's just the design?

Sam.

bmi330

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:24 pm

When they going to start building it and when is it gonna be finished anyone no?

JETPILOT

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:28 pm

5 towers.... not 4.

JET

Marco
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:40 pm

I think it's just the design. I think the biosphere is a great gesture for the families of the victims of 9/11. I can't wait till it's a part of the beautiful NYC skyline!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:06 am

I do not like that pyramid. It is what makes the whole thing ugly! Otherwise I like it, but it will be hard to fill all of the space and sadly I doubt it will happen. But again I really like it, except for the pyramid.
Someday...something will be up... Smile/happy/getting dizzy
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

blink182

Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:18 am

I like it.
I like the pyramid too as it kind of tops off the design to a single point where the 5 towers all merge and become one pyramid.

Let's build it.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

RayChuang

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:13 am

Personally, if the designers can clean out the exterior details a bit, I want them to build it.  Big thumbs up

I don't want another memorial park--we've had enough of those and frankly, the land in Lower Manhattan is too valuable to waste on a memorial park.  Angry

racko

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:15 am

Looks nice, much better than the old WTC which looked boring imho.

AC320

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:33 am

Doesn't anyone else find the notion of "sound waves to deflect flying objects" and "stealth skin" a bit too far-fetched? are these architects or 12-year old scifi nerds?

otherwise the design (without the pyramid) would look quite nice. Just get rid of the science fiction BS
fuddle duddle

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:41 am

The new design looks futuristic and elegant but i liked the old WTC, they looked really daunting when looking up to it from the bottom.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

Marco
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:41 am

AC320 I was sort of thinking about the same thing. How on earth can a building deflect objects within a 5km circumference?
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:43 am

Another question, will it be able to withstand the impact of a boeing or an airbus?

In Arsene we trust!!

EGGD

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:49 am

I don't like it, too fat and looks kinda like.... I dunno. Its just too fat and too big.

A more similar design to the original ones would be better, of course incorperating some of the new ideas. What the hell is a 5 mile no fly zone going to do? Cause havoc in the NYC area for air traffic and nothing else. Do you think that it would have stopped the attacks in the first place? no...

Marco
Topic Author

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:14 am

EGGD,

I'm sure it won't cause havoc, a 5 mile circumference isn't that big!

Arsenal,

It should be able to withstand the impact of an airliner crashing into it (check out the safety part of the website). From what I understand, the reason why the WTC collapsed was because it was a steel structure. Steel melts at a certain temperature (and the fire caused the steel to melt). However concrete, which is another type of material used for buildings, melts at a much higher temperature. I could be wrong but a concrete building could withstand an airliner crashing into it and not collapse. I'm not sure if the new WTC will be a steel structure or not though!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

OO-VEG

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:51 am

Is that really the new WTC????

I think the old one would have looked better, but the new tower looks nice. It is a bit too futuristic though.

deltaownsall

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:56 am

It looks sweet and the memorial idea is great but what about the cost? It seems like this building would cost alot more money than a conventional, less flashy, but still just as useful building would. Also, if the office space is that much more than that of the original WTC, how will they fill it all?

EGGD

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:00 am

Marco - are you kidding? The airspace around New York is almost the busiest in the world, and the only way they get it working is to have a very efficient way of handling flights into and out of the three airports (or more... but the three majors), I believe that LGA and EWR are within 5 miles of manhatten (or not, but their approach paths certainly are depending on winds, and if not aircraft leaving are going to come within 5 miles).

So that ain't going to happen, EVER!

Architect

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:03 am

That is far and away the ugliest building I've ever seen! It has several major problems:

- Over half of the windows would be looking into the building instead of out at manhattan.

- Five mile radius?!? Both LaGuardia and Newark are 8 miles from the site!

- It covers the entire site (the NYC planners have already determined that the streets that crossed the site before the WTC will be put back in place)

- Sonic protection?!? I would think that in order to use this to stop an incoming plane you would end up leveling all of the buildings in the area!

Luckily this guy has nothing to do with the actual rebuilding (he's in the Bahamas!)

wn700driver

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:05 am

can somone post a photo? this website just will not load here for some reason (it has to be their fault, we have a T1 here).
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

blink182

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:27 am

I agree with AC320, it does sound a little too far fetched. Also regarding the no fly zone over Manhattan- You've gotta be kidding me. Especially as previously noted that JFK and LGA are 8 miles from Manhattan.

What I think might look better is if the towers were blended and molded a little bit more closely and if they could somehow make it look like the pyramid wasn't really stuck on top of it. It wouldn't look like it was all just stuck together as much.

Architect(something I want to be eventually)- For the first point, that isn't exactly a bad thing either  Big grin.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

LH423

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:55 am

Unfortunately for the World Trade Center site, Pataki (the New York State governor), who has considerable clout over the future of the site, has already stated that he will do everything in his power to prevent the site from being rebuilt upon. Furthermore, another voice, while not political anymore still carries some weight, that of former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani, has said that he too opposes any recontruction on the trade centre site. With such loud and visible opponents, plus those of all those who lost loved ones in the trade centre, they form a formidable barrier to any reconstruction.

However, the design does sound intriguing and I think it should be explored. It does sound a bit too futuristic to be cheap enough to build it in its current form, but who knows. New York is the city of the impossible.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

wn700driver

Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:10 am

Pataki & Guliani can huff & puff all they want, but where the rubber meets the road, they don't own the site, & their opinions really aren't stronger than yours or mine.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

BFS

Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:48 am

Not to sound crude, but in my opinion it looks a little too, well, Asian. The in-your-face-flashiness of it all makes me think of images of Tokyo and Hong Kong (no offence to anyone from there), and it just truly doesn't fit in at all with NYC. And it is simply, TOO big. Its vulgar. And also impractical - they will NEVER fill it.
Personally, I loved the old Twin Towers - there were my favourite part of the city when I was over in March 01. I think they should go for something similar to be honest.

AC320

Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:19 am

I put their feedback form to good use. Hope they don't steal any of my ideas, remember you guys heard it here first  Big grin

"I am a member of the camp that believe the WTC should be rebuilt as a symbol of American determination and spirit, and to close the wound to the city's skyline, which is sadly lacking since that horrible day in September.

While I voted "Yes" to this design, there are many elements which seem excessive, not practical, or for lack of a better word: silly.

The structures rendered here are indeed impressive. What troubles me is the that fact that many of it's windows will be looking out at another one of the towers not the lovely NYC skyline. Perhaps the number of towers should be limited to 3; two main towers surrounding a central transportation spire. This can be just as grand and symbolic. Especially if the sentral spire rises to a height taller than any other building, with an observation deck and perhaps capped by a magestic marble sculpture of an angel bearing the American flag, standing tall over NYC and America as both a guardian and a symbol.

this reduced form of the proposal will not have as much space to lease out, something the current models have in an excessive amount which may make the building difficult to fill.

the pyramid atop the building really seems out of place with the otherwise smooth structure. The sharp angles contrast too much with the cylindrival nature of the rest of the building and detract from its aesthetic charms. Forget the pyramid, it simply does not work in this regard.

The memorial park plan is rather ingenious and the public should greatly appreciate its tranquil beauty and solemn nature. a sea of green life that is eternal and everlasting.

Finally ideas such as "sound waves to deflect flying objects" are pure lunacy. This is impracticale, likely expensive, and what is to prevent it from being mis-used? a sonic cannon could cause a lot of damage, if it can ever be made into a practical device. Forget about sonic cannons, stealth skin, and anything else out of a science fiction novel. concentrate on building something grand, beautiful, practical, and affordable."

Sometimes its good to voice your opinion. Hope I don't piss the architect off by being so critical.

fuddle duddle

us330

Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:22 am

It looks like a pack of dynamite and looks out of place with the Manhattan skyline.

nwa man

Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:31 am

Might as well put a giant target on it...

Agreed with Us330...the building appears very, very out of place with the rest of Manhattan.

Imho, they should make the site into a memorial park, or possibly a stadium.

NWA Man
Create your own luck.

cedarjet

Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:15 pm

Come on guys, how many of you actually looked at the website. This is just some crackpot idea, on the opening page there's this "you are now looking at the original design, sketched by Derek (Derek?!) Someoneorother at 4.20am in Manhattan..." The man was clearly on drugs, especially considering what time of day it was, not to mention the breathtaking ugliness of the design.

The tree thing is impossible (what if one out of 2800 trees starts wilting?! What will they tell the family of the person that tree is named after?), but that pales in comparison to the idea of deflecting a 767 using sound waves...?! Maybe they could use the music that plays while you're looking at the website, "Falling" (by Julee Cruise). Very tasteful, I think not.

The guy knows how to put a website together (not counting the horribly inappropriate background music), I'll give him that. And I am definitely of the belief that the site should be built on again. Lower Manhattan lost 40% of it's office space, how can the city afford not to get that back again. Anyway not building there hands a victory of sorts to the terrorists which is wrong. I just think the building/s should be designed by someone from Planet Earth.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Boeing4ever

Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:56 pm

No matter how flashy, how futuristic, how grand, how big, and how beautiful, nothing...NOTHING will be able to replace the beauty, and the architectural genius of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

My two cents, ten cents, and fifty cents,
B4e

OA412
Crew

Sat Jul 06, 2002 1:28 pm

Yikes, that is one hell of an ugly design! If the WTC is to be rebuilt, I sincerely hope that it is built as close to the original structure as possible. Giving any consideration to this monstrously ugly design idea would be a slap in the face to the original buildings. However, I should state that although I am in the great minority on this site, I am opposed to any sort of rebuilding on the original WTC site. Yeah, I know, Manhattan loses valuable office space and the terrorists win, but I simply cannot fathom building anything on what is essentially a grave site. I say forget about it, erect a memorial, and build the office space elsewhere.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

vafi88

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:03 pm

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, this building sucks! This can't even compete with the old one and will NOT fit in with the surrounding buildings of New York. I think if we waited about 100 years, then build it, right now it would be one red flower surrounded by a million blue ones, making the skyline crappy...
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

dinker225

Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:19 pm

Is it physically possible to build something like this with the technology we have in this day and age?? IF it is possible, I say go for it. Good luck filling it.
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

We're Nuts

Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:04 pm

Any technology is possible. Sadly, our society doesn't value research.

I think it looks too fat, but it seems to fill its purpose very nicely, so I like it.
Dear moderators: No.

cedarjet

Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:44 pm

It may be a grave site (although all the human remains were removed) but September 11th 2001 wasn't the first time a big loss of life occurred there. On September 16th 1911 a massive bomb exploded outside the Morgan Stanley bank which was on the site of the 1972-2001 WTC, killing many people and causing huge damage to property. The attack caused the rounding up and deportation of foreigners, many innocents arrested etc. The case was finally ended after about ten years, no known perpetrator. Amazing how history repeats itself. So the land will be built on again, and maybe attacked again, not for the first or even the second time.

And what about the native Americans who died there? If ever site of a violent killing became sacred ground there would be nowhere to live. Except maybe Sweden.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz