saintsman

White Parents Have Black IVF Twins

Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:06 pm

Here's the link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_2115000/2115522.stm

I don't want to turn this into any racist discussion, but can you imagine the shock of the parents when the babies were born. Now it appears there may be a battle to see who the 'real' parents are.

It'll be the kids who will suffer in the end.

flyboy36y

RE: White Parents Have Black IVF Twins

Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:13 am

That's terrible. I don't know why, but if I was the father I would not want to keep that baby. It would not be mine. Just like an adoption. I can imagine the HUGE lawsuite.

vickybiccy

Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:22 am

What a horrendous situation to find yourself in.

My first thought is, what if those twins had been from white parents, would anyone have noticed the difference..could it have happened many times already?

Secondly, I feel so much for the woman who gave birth to these two children. If she was having fertility treatment she and her husband have obviously had trouble conceiving. Now after the trauma of a nine month pregnancy and a labour she finds out that the effort could be worth nothing.

Finally, I cannot imagine what the father's first thoughts were when his wife produced the twins. It MUST have crossed his mind that she was up to no good.

I feel for all those involved, I really do.

jaysit

Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:27 am

Why is it worth nothing? The babies are still hers, right? And it appears that she wants to keep them. So - end of story.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

vickybiccy

Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:32 am

Jaysit,

Unfortunately those twins are not hers genetically. The biological parents may have legitimate rights to have the twins. I'm not aware of the legal status, I'm sure it will become clear in the future.

Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:45 am

Vickybiccy,

Not hers genetically? Where did it say that? Before that decision is made testing needs to be done. There are a number of potential scenarios here:

1. They are hers and her husbands (an ancestor could have been black)
2. They're hers but not her husbands
3. They're her husbands but not hers
4. They're not hers or her husbands

Only 1/4 chance that they're not biologically the families ....

This is another issue where only time will tell.

VH-ADG