AirT85
Topic Author

Competing CoWorkers

Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:00 am

Hi All,
I have a somewhat moral dillema.
I work at an insurance agency doing data entry. We have these things called FIOs that we do, where we process a First Inspection Order and it goes to the inspector who then inspects the property we are insuring.
There are 4 other guys my age i work with, we are all summer temps. One of them is the boss's son and has worked here for 3 years now. Our boss wants us to process 100 FIO's a day (we report our numbers at the end of the week). However, at the end of the summer, he is offering a one-week bonus (pay for a week ontop of what we earn for the summer) to those whose numbers are extremely good. Everyday we say 120 FIOs. Thats how many we should do. This takes me until 10:00am if im lucky, and i get done at 3. So i have been doing about 150 a day. My question is, is it wrong of me? I want the extra pay, i want to stay productive, and the bonus isn't offered to everyone. The other 3 guys are all best friends with the boss' sons so I'm trying to make myself even more attractive number wise for the bonus. Do you see anything wrong with this? Last week we had a 2 1/2 day week, and i did 399 FIO's. The boss' son only did 358 and he had second highest, he wasnt happy with me! Anyways, does anyone see anything wrong with doing more than the agreed 120?
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

KROC

RE: Competing CoWorkers

Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:50 am

Tony. What you are doing is excelling in the world. Not many people, old or young, have your drive or desire to do the job, any job as well as you seem to be doing. If the boss frowns on you because you are kicking the crap out of his son (work wise), then step up to his boss. There is no place for nepotism in the business world.

NZ767

Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:18 am

You go hard Tony.
Don't take any notice of the buggers.
If the bosses son (or his mates for that matter whom I suspect may be just a bunch of a*** lickers) is not happy with you, then tough.
That's his problem.
It's called the "Tall Poppy Syndrome".  Smile

AirT85
Topic Author

Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:32 am

Thanks guys =)
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?