ryanb741

UK Universities Discriminating Jewish Lecturers

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:53 pm

It has been revealed that several high ranking UK academics have started a committee in protest against Israeli actions, calling for discrimination against Jewish academics in the UK. As a result, several high ranking Jewish academics have been sacked, and more are in fear of their jobs.

Personally, whilst I disagree with many aspects of Israeli politics, I think it is disgraceful that this is happening to Jewish lecturers. An individual must never be held accountable for the actions of their country. Sure, put economic sanctions against the Israeli STATE, but to victimise individuals is quite frankly disgusting.

The irony is that many of these Jewish academics have spoken out in protest against Israeli politics. I think the world is going mad if a civilised country like the UK can let this happen  Sad
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Arsenal@LHR

RE: UK Universities Discriminating Jewish Lecturers

Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:56 pm

Where did you hear this? Can you name those Universities cos my one could be one of them?

In Arsene we trust!!

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:02 pm

I think Universities where professors have signed up to this include;

UMIST
University College London
Cambridge University
Imperial College
London School of Economics

There must be more, but I am not sure. I do know that King's College London has refused to have anything to do with this committee - although I guess individual lecturers would have little in their way if they really wanted to join.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:02 pm

This was panynj/TNNH's last posting before Hepkat, wary of anything that attacks Anti-Israelis, quickly deleted it!

Thanks for an important notice RyanB741, this is absolutely horrendous news.

Arsenal, the news is very real, one of the anti-Semitic professors is Egyptian born Mona Baker from Manchester Tech.

TWAmerican

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:03 pm

If this is true, then it's shocking! I never expect anything of this nature in our country.
In Arsene we trust!!

go canada!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:05 pm

Ryan, please state the universities involved as a matter of urgency, i am at a university in the uk with a leading uk-based jewish history department that is linked to the ahrb james parkes centre for the promotion of jewish-none jewish relations.

I would be shocked if my university discrimated against jewish lecturers!
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

Alpha 1

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:05 pm

Is there a link to any news story confirming this charge?

go canada!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:09 pm

Cambridge University???????????????? Wow! Wow! Wow!

Cambridge has a number of scholars who fight anti-semeticism,one, professor richard evans was used as an expert witness in the David Irving liberal trial to prove irving was a holocaust denyer!

im shocked!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:12 pm

>>>>The irony is that many of these Jewish academics have spoken out in protest against Israeli politics. I think the world is going mad if a civilised country like the UK can let this happen <<<<<

I think sadly your right.  Sad Only the US has any bit of sanity left.

TWAmerican

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:14 pm

I'm finding the link now (both BBC and Evening Standard)

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:17 pm

Here is a BBC link (although not the same one I found yesterday)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/education/newsid_2117000/2117662.stm

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:20 pm

According to the article it's only UMIST that is involved - but I am sure those other names were bandied about yesterday in the Evening Standard

Marco

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:23 pm

I can't believe this is happening. Discrimination like this is simply unacceptable, especially in a country such as the UK.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Klaus

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:23 pm

I´d be interested to know whether the boycott is on jewish or on israeli academics. I´ve only heard of the latter, so far.

And whatever one may think of the boycott itself, mixing those two up would make the difference between a political dispute and a racist/chauvinist campaign, so a little more precision in reporting this would be absolutely necessary.

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:27 pm

Whether they are Israeli or Jewish is incidental - individuals must never be held to blame for the actions of their nation. That is racism, pure and simple.

go canada!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:31 pm

UMIST as the cente of this discrimination, well im sure it nots offical univeristy policy....there was a problem after sept 11 with a muslim militant organisation trying to hand out leaflets to freshers in mancester but thankfully the NUS(national union of students) had them removed from university premises.

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:32 pm

Here is another link from the Guardian:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/higherfeedback/comment/0,11056,752060,00.html

Most atrociously, the academic at the centre of the sackings, UMIST's Mona Baker states that the Israelis would have been able to keep their jobs if they 'left Israel for Britain and severed all ties with their homeland'.

Clearly this woman's brain has severed all ties with her mouth.....  Sad

go canada!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:34 pm

klaus..it is racism...

i would be equally appalled if a university sacked a palestinain just because another palestinain is a sucide bomber.

""any discrimination on grounds of race, religion or nationality is utterly unacceptable"." Margret Hodge, UK Higher Education Minister

Marco

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:36 pm

Klaus,

Are you condoning discrimination against Israeli's?

Because the way I see it, it doesn't matter if you're Israeli or Jewish, discrimination is discrimination!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

go canada!

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:36 pm

hmm the anti-israelis havent posted yet.i wonder why?

Alpha 1

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:37 pm

Unfortunately, much of the world acedemia-including the U.S. is so ultra left-wing, that this isn't exactly surprising. Sadly, she sounds like one of these zealots who has a problem with Israel defending itself, but has no problem with the suicide attacks on Israeli citizens.

This is outrageous no matter who the person is, or what country they come from

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:38 pm

So it looks like this case is limited to the UMIST, or is it?
In Arsene we trust!!

David_itl

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:40 pm

From today's Manchester Evening News story:

"UMIST chiefs have launched an investigation into claims that two translators were sacked for being Israeli.

Prof Mona Baker is alleged to have removed the academics who worked on her private journals because of the ‘current situation’ in the Middle East."

This story did come to light up here a couple of weeks ago, but there was nothing on the Evening News website for me to direct people to.

David

ryanb741

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:44 pm

On top of this I distinctly recall reading in yesterday's evening standard about a committee set up by academics discriminating against israelis. I can't find the damn article now  Sad

pacificjourney

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:48 pm

Calm down and read the article properly. No one has been sacked from their jobs !

Messrs Schlesinger and Gideon don't even work at UMIST by the sounds of it.

They have been removed from the editorial board of some academic journal the head of that journal just happens to teach at UMIST though how she has the authority to make such abitrary and racist decisions is beyond me.

This is aloooong way from the accusation made at the start of this thread however. A little attention to detail is required.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Klaus

Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:56 pm

I´ve just read the linked articles and comments and I´ve got no doubt that Prof. Baker severely screwed up.

Reducing or freezing some cooperations with israeli universities and other government organizations are one thing. And I think on this level some pressure should be applied (such as a rethinking of the favoured trade terms with the EU). A nation´s government like Sharon´s (or Arafat´s in a slightly different way) needs to get some feedback from the outside when they are making a mess of that scale. There shouldn´t be just "business as usual".

But what Prof. Baker did does indeed look like simply taking a side and striking out at the nearest people she herself believed were "involved" (which they very probably weren´t). And that´s unacceptable.

Krushny

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:03 am

Compare the first post of this thread, and even the title, with what really happened. So it looks like it was a racist and discriminating action of a certain academic, not condoned at all by any University in the UK.

Ryanb741, I would be more careful before making this kind of accusations to UK Universities.

ryanb741

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:10 am

Krushny - in the title I did not have enough space.

The rest is self explanatory. I was also referring to another article in which a COMMITTEE of leading academics had been set up discriminating against Israelis. I will post the link as soon as I find it.

In any case, if a university takes no action against racism on the part of one of its employees - it is condoning that action in my eyes.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:33 am

I'm glad this is getting the attention it deserves, what an absolutely horrific story.

If anything of this remote magnitude happened in the states, the country would be in absolute shock and utterly repulsed, and this Egyptian "mona baker" would be fired from her job immediately.

not quite sure why the UK seems so accepting of such people.  Confused

TWAmerican

Krushny

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:31 am

Ryanb741, retreating fast?
Waiting for your link on the boycott committee.

In any case, if a university takes no action against racism on the part of one of its employees - it is condoning that action in my eyes.
Nice try, but wrong. The BBC link tells UMIST has started an investigation on the matter.

ryanb741

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:44 am

Krushny: Ryanb741, retreating fast?

On the contrary my dear boy:

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-news-0033.html

I draw particular reference to the extract below:

Last Wednesday, the board of directors of the organization for professors and teachers in higher education in England, decided unanimously to call for a more sweeping boycott. The decision calls on all the British institutions of higher education to weigh - with the goal of severing - any future academic connection with Israel. It insists that such relations should be resumed only after a full withdrawal of all the Israeli forces, the beginning of negotiations to implement UN resolutions, and the promise of full access for all Palestinians to institutions of higher learning.

Would you like cream on your humble pie?  Big grin

go canada!

Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:56 am

Pacificjourney stated "Calm down and read the article properly. No one has been sacked from their jobs "

WELL,

"The education secretary, Estelle Morris, today criticised an academic whose sacking of two Israeli professors from a journal has aroused a furious argument in universities in the UK and abroad. "

(http://www.guardian.co.uk/Netgravity/popup5/1,,,00.html?IFRHEIGHT="200"?IFRWIDTH="200"?IFRAMEBGCOL="000000"?SPACEDESC=popupbig26)

when a pro-palestinain, liberal newspaper that is critical of the israeli goverment reports that the education secretary critised the SACKING of two israeli professors I think its safe to say that they have been sacked!

on a general note, these two academics arent even anti-palestinian

"Professor Baker, an expert in translation studies, decided after signing it to sack the two professors, who are said to be liberals and not supporters of Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon. " (from the same ariticle)

this story is a big deal, its an even bigger deal when a newspaper that is no friend of israel and who some exterme right wing israelis feel is anti-semetic
( im not israeli and nor do i think the guradian is anti-semetic) reports that academics are being sacked from postions purely because they are israeli.

What really shows just how stupid and racist professor baker is the fact that one academic is a holocaust survivour and the other was formally the head of Amnesty International in Israel!

Krusnhy if this was the other way round im sure sas, adg, you and the rest would be screaming from the rooftops, the fact is that when a moderate like ryan who isnt that supportive of israel and is fairly pro-palestinain starts a thread it shows that this isnt just an excuse to bash the palestinains. If a palestinian was sacked, sas and others would find a way to twist the story around into saying that israel is a facist, nazi state and that all jews are racist.

Its not surprising that they havent posted yet.

777236ER

Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:01 am

this story is a big deal

Bullshit.

It's not a big deal. Believe it or not, there are more important things. Like the recent police violence in LA (?) it's an isolated incidence that has no bearing on the lives of most Britains and doesn't show feelings which was rife among Britains.

its an even bigger deal when a newspaper that is no friend of israel and who some exterme right wing israelis feel is anti-semetic
( im not israeli and nor do i think the guradian is anti-semetic) reports that academics are being sacked from postions purely because they are israeli.

Or maybe the Guardian just wanted to sell papers by having a story that caught the public's attention and made them want to read the paper?
Your bone's got a little machine

go canada!

Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:06 am

If the guardian was that bothered about stories to increase readership it wouldnt print half the stuff it already prints. The circulation for a liberal, totalyl left wing, republicain newspaper in the uk remains static because the majority in this country arent republican left wingers.

For the guardian to start printing stories connected to israel that dont involved criticism of the israeli government and involve criticism of an arab is a big deal.

I state again, if palestinain or arab academics were sacked or blocked by jewisij or israeli academics then the anti-israelis on airliners would have a major fit.

Clearly when they have a story they dont like(eg baby suicide bombers) they dismiss it as a joke or irrelevant because they find it so hard to be critical of a single arab.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:11 am

These are simply part of the overall cultural, economic, sporting and ultimately political boycotts that will be put in place to try to drag Israel into the civilised world.

Such sanctions worked with apartheid South Africa ... hopefully they will work with Israel as well.

Unfortunately, as many South Africans who did not support their government's policies found, they will be blocked from participating in events simply because of their nationality. Yes, on an individual basis it's unfair ... but at the end of the day the greater good has to be considered.

No non Israeli Jews are affected as far as I can see.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:47 am

>>>>>>>>>Like the recent police violence in LA (?) it's an isolated incidence that has no bearing on the lives of most Britain's and doesn't show feelings which was rife among Britain's.<<<<<<<<

See here I disagree with you 10,000%. You are absolutely wrong. The "recent police violence in LA" was actually a fairly unimportant event. It was not racially motivated, a black cop took part in the melee, and it has not arisen the emotions of the community, the New York Times reported 2 protestors at Inglewood City Hall, the day after the incident.

This "sacking" is not an isolated event, but rather thedreadful highlight of a terribly disturing trend of anti-Israeli and anti-Semitic feelings sweeping Europe. This is not isoalted, several British schools have de facto boycotts on Israel, and even more have across the channel.

Your all mixed up!  Laugh out loud

TWAmerican

David_itl

Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:04 am

TWAmerican

Care to back this statement:

This is not isoalted, several British schools have de facto boycotts on Israel, and even more have across the channel.

up with hard facts?

David

Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:11 am

Russell, don't you think that if Israel behaved in a more civilised manner then the rest of the world would treat it - and its citizens - in a similar fashion?

As ye shall sow, so shall ye reap!

ryanb741

Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:24 am

I would like to make a point here. I am against Israel being on occupied territory in Palestine, and am against the hardline policies of Sharon (I am also against suicide bombings BTW). But what bugs me here is that sanctions are effectively being made on Israeli individuals whose activities (in this case teaching) have absolutely nothing to do with what is going on in the Middle East at the moment. Now I think we run the risk of setting a dangerous precedent - the individual must NEVER be held responsible for the actions of a state.

That is why I think this whole sacking business is absolutely horrifying - and I really don't see much difference between this and the actions in Nazi Germany at the beginning. When somebody is sacked and discriminated against because of their NATIONALITY (!!!) then the course to disaster has already began. Those responsible for the sackings claim they do so because of the persecution of the Palestinian people (as they put it). Well, they may have a very good point, BUT by in turn persecuting Israeli lecturers they lower themselves to the levels of those they berate. The fact that this can happen in my own country, supposedly a beacon of democracy, achievement and the rest is absolutely terrifying.

I have already detected hints that this type of behaviour might be getting 'accepted' - look at the hatred many Brits seem to display towards asylum seekers. But what if today it starts with sacking Uni lecturers, then retail organisations decide they want to sack Israelis working in retail, then the banks (as an example) join in and so on. It may seem like science fiction, but if you told a visitor from outer space that a little over 50 years ago 8 million innocent people were murdered because of their ethnic background - well that might seem a little far fetched to them too.

Sure Israel has acted badly (IMHO). So have the Palestinians. But lets keep the hatred over on that side of the world - I will not accept such discrimination in my country.....

mish1234

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:58 am

ahhhh im not even gonna bother, its discusting to even think about it...

racko

Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:26 am

I can't imagine something like this can happen in a modern country like the UK. That's discrimination and the government should do something against it, fast.

pacificjourney

Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:40 am

No Go Canada they HAVEN'T been sacked from their jobs. Editorial committees for arcane journals are dime-a-dozen for academics. They may not even get paid for it ! Even I am on 2 of them.

Not condoning this bullshit but the thread starter made it sound like people were being fired from university. Not so !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:25 am

And now, SAS23, in his never-ending hatred of everything Israeli, endorses Israeli's losing their jobs abroad SIMPLY BECUASE OF THE COUNTRY THEY'RE FROM! Does your hatred of these people know no bounds, SAS23. These people are trying to make an honest living, and some knee-jerk leftest nut like this lady decides THIS is the way to peace in the Middle East? Riight.

You, sir, are below contempt. This won't do anything to push Israel anywhere. The only thing that will push Israel towards peace is a cessation of attacks on their citizens. Until that happens, such laughable acts such as this won't do squat. However, I'm sure if this were to happen to a Palestinian, you'd be leading the charge in protesting such dastardly deeds to such a person, and how terrible it was.

delta-flyer

RE: UK Universities Discriminating Jewish Lecturer

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:57 pm

don't you think that if Israel behaved in a more civilised manner then the rest of the world would treat it - and its citizens - in a similar fashion?

Actually, SAS23, I do not think so. I see this as just another convenient reason for perpetuating anti Semetism. For centuries, there have always been plenty of "good" reasons for the world to not treat Jews in a "civilised" manner.

I think the analogy between Israeli occupation and apartheid is extreme and reflects strong anti Semetic sentiment.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:58 pm

Actually, SAS23, I do not think so. I see this as just another convenient reason for perpetuating anti Semetism. For centuries, there have always been plenty of "good" reasons for the world to not treat Jews in a "civilised" manner.

And perhaps that explains SAS23.

Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:23 pm

Hmmm, so where did you guys stand on sanctions against apartheid South Africa, then?  Big grin

Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:39 pm

Hands up who understands that there is a difference between being Israeli and being jewish?

Isn't this a protest against Israel rather than an attack on the jewish people?

VH-ADG

ryanb741

Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:45 pm

ADG - I agree, a protest against Israel itself is fine, but to victimise individuals is IMHO distasteful in the extreme. For example, the whole world has sanctions against Iraq but doesn't discriminate against Iraqis living in the West, so I don't see why these Israelis are being punished for the actions of some politicians.

If businesses here in London started sacking Palestinians because of the suicide bombings of a few individuals, or even started sacking Australians because of the crimes against humanity perpetrated by Aussie breweries (!! Big grin) then that would be unacceptable so I can't see how this is any different.

go canada!

Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:34 pm

SAS23-"but at the end of the day the greater good has to be considered."

Oh so racism is ok then, providing its an arab dishing it out......

pacificjourney..what journals are you a member of?

ADG: why is this so difficult for you? why cant you condemm the person involved, after all you single out people for 'racism' on a daily basis yet when real racism happens its brushed under the carpet.

It doesnt matter whether the lecturer was israeli or jewsh, its still anti-semetic behaviour and if any palestinain, muslim or arab was sacked in the uk for the actions of the terrorists then you would be screaming blue murder and rightly so.

A protest against the israeli government does not mean you single out people.Write letters to the press, write to aid organisations and charities, campaign for money for palestinain refugees, protest outside the israeli embassies dotted across the world, all is legitimate protests but sack an individual on the grounds of their nationailty smacks of nazi germany and for two people who are quick to play the race card its a complete double standard on your behalf and on sas's too.

You preach adg from your moral high ground on a regular basis, it seems to be that your failure to condemm this action means you are in the gutter.

Alpha 1

Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:42 pm

Hmmm, so where did you guys stand on sanctions against apartheid South Africa, then?

Sanctions against a country is one thing-but when individuals like this jerk lady take it in their own hands to impose sanctions against INDIVIDUALS, simply because of what country they come from, that is unacceptable behavior.