asbg

Any Other Jews?

Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:21 pm

In addition to USAFJRs post I wanted to if there are any other Jews here other than myself?

Sam.

El Al 001

RE: Any Other Jews?

Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:50 pm

Sure there are, and I happen to believe that I know you...

Do you have a sister named Michal?

Michael

Hepkat

Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:24 pm

Sam, are you serious? They're tons of Jews here.

asbg

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:26 pm

I guess all the people here with the different variations of El Al nicknames are Jewish.

I was more interested of those that are not Israeli.
Are you Jewish Hepkat?

Sam.

FlyVirgin744

Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:33 pm

Hepkat, there aren't that many Jews here. Just a lot of support for Israel.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Hepkat

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:13 am

Asbg, no, I'm not Jewish, but I'd say the majority of my American friends are.

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:15 am

we're the best!  Laugh out loud .

zeus01

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:18 am

Many users on here have tried to demonize Jews, which honestly is just sick. There just as bad as the Nazi's and personally, I think they should all be deleted from here for good, even though Im not Jewish. I still have a respect for Jews and have many Jewish friends with a wonderful culture I'd be proud to be part of. I don't know how many there are on there though, not to many I think.

mish1234

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:20 am

ANyone who isnt Jewish should most defenatly go and visit Israel at least once in there lifes... but they will never go for just one time, they always come back cause they have such a good time.

ly772

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:28 am

Well I am Jewish and proud of it.

777236ER

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:33 am

Many users on here have tried to demonize Jews

Honest, I don't think they have. There IS a difference between Israel and being Jewish. I don't think anyone (no, not even SAS23) has insulted Jews simply because they're Jewish. In all honesty, there's a lot more angst against other religions (see Matt D's current thread) and in those cases it IS solely because of their religion. Critism at Israel shouldn't be confused with anti-Semitism.

However.....

...some people here try to make out that critism against Israel IS anti-Semitism. After all, Israel is a Jewish state. Critise Israel and you critise Jews, right? I think that's wrong. There is a distinction between Israel and Jews but certain people, mainly pro-Israel, like to keep the link. It makes anyone anti-Israel seem anti-Semetic and racist.
Your bone's got a little machine

EL-AL

Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:32 am

I am a jewish man, who live in the jewish state (not New York, Israel).
every day is a good day to fly

flyboy36y

Sat Jul 13, 2002 5:42 am

I'm Jewish. I try to respect other relligions and cultures.

I do feel a lot of anti semetic sentimen on A.net

I recall a certain user, calling Jews "cheap arses"

Isreal as a goverment may or may not have it comming to them.... but to agree with attacks on Jewish citizens of Israel (and not Military targets) is, IMHO, amti-semetic.

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:13 am

Extremely well said ...

VH-ADG

AC320

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:14 am

Geez people this isn't another argument thread. Just drop the crap.

Anyway, I'm Jewish too
fuddle duddle

lubcha132

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:38 am

i'm a yid and damn proud.

Lindy

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:40 am

Sister named Michal? hehehe Thats male name. Exactly Mike or Michael in English. hehehe
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:51 am

Michal is a very common Hebrew girl's name.

pronounced mish-hall.

learn something new every day hunh?

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:53 am

Lindy,

It's pretty common.. Ariel and Sharon are both girls names as well.....

AC320

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:44 pm

surely there are more Jews here, hate to see the Christian thread hogging all the posts  Big grin
fuddle duddle

jgore

Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:57 pm

I'm proudly Jewish

jgore  Smile

asbg

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:11 am

Do any of you keep the traditions, celebrate the holidays, fasts etc.?

Sam.

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:22 am

I had a bar mitzvah, don't fast on passover or yom kippur, do enjoy seders though.

AC320

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:23 am

I fast, celebrate the holidays, overall keep the faith. however, I must admit that since moving away from the family, we don't celebrate as much or as grandly as we used to.

Back before 1996 (when we moved) Passover and Hanukkah were grand affairs within my family. my grandmother would be cooking for a week before the celebrations. Passover was always the grandest one, where about 20 of us would gather at her house and enjoy a feast. Lemme see, there'd be drinks and snacks before including crackers, several kinds of cheese, pate, and vegetable dips. appetizer would be gefilte fish (never liked the stuff) and matzo ball soup. Main course would include stuffing, roast tongue, roast brisket, cornish hens, sweet potatoes and apricots, gravy, ground liver, and vegetables. dessert would include a strawberry mousse, ice cream and several kind of cakes. all made by my grandmother, and the leftovers would last for 2 weeks. sure its not all kosher, but its sooooo good.

The best things about being Jewish: 1) The food. 2) Family. 3) Traditions
fuddle duddle

El Al 001

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:25 am

Hey Russ, just as a side note...
Michal is more pronounced like... Mi-chal...

And for those of you who may think its a man's name, its not..
Michal in English would be Michele... In Hebrew it sounds different.

Just like Michael in English does not sound the same as in Hebrew (or in German for instance..) although you write it in the same way.

Anyhow, its a very popular name in Hebrew/Israel... (it also appears in the bible, as Michal was the wife of king David, she was also the daughter of king Shaul...)

Btw, Sam does have a sister named Michal..!  Smile

Michael

delta-flyer

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:43 am

Hepkat....Asbg, no, I'm not Jewish, but I'd say the majority of my American friends are

Hehe... well, count me as one of them!

Pete  Smile
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Hepkat

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:55 pm

Pete  Smile

Growing up I had absolutely NO Jewish friends or neighbours, as I grew up in an Italian/Jamaican area of the Bronx, NY. It wasn't until I went to college that I first started to meet Jews, and to be honest, if they didn't tell me I would have had absolutely no idea. Maybe growing up without Jews was a positive thing, as I grew up not knowing what anti-semiticism was. Sure, I'd heard about, but no one in my family was anti-semitic (we were more indifferent, neither pro nor con, other than when you needed a lawyer you'd better make sure he was Jewish). So when I started meeting Jews in school, I couldn't understand anti-semiticism, nor could I see what the big deal about being Jewish was.

Now I know Jewish people very well. Most of the times, believe it or not, I can usually tell if someone's Jewish either from seeing them or from talking with them for five minutes.

bambicruz

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:59 pm

Shalom !
One here too !
F*** Me Im Famous!

ly334

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:49 pm

Hi,

I am a frum jew, I was born in Antwerp,Belgium the city of diamonds and live now in Bne-Beraq, Israel.

I live here for 8 years.

Regards, brothers jews.
All my toughts are in aviation!!!

blink182

Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:54 am

I'm a Jew too.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

us330

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:45 am

777236ER: As a Jew, I completely agree with your post. In all honesty, of all of the Palestine vs Israel bs that has been posted recently, you have made seemingly the most sense out of people's opinions. Regarding your statement that being anti-Israel doesn't make you anti-Jewish, I absolutely concur, however it must be known that the average person living today who is not nearly as educated regarding this conflict or topic may find Israel and Judaism one in the same, and that easily could be the upcoming problem for Jews.
An interesting question came up when I was talking to a fellow Jewish friend. "Would you feel safe/comfortable living in America if America stopped supporting Israel?" While he vehemently answered no, I felt the exact opposite.Even though I am Jewish, would I ever consider moving to Israel? Absolutely not. I just feel more safe and comfortable living in America, or, later on in life, maybe even Western Europe, than I would anywhere else. Just because Israel may be my historical "home" doesn't make it my home. Even among Jews, especially those not residing in Israel, what many people do not realize, is that there is a growing contingent, including myself that are critics of Sharon and his government's policies in dealing with the Palestinians. However, does that mean we are pro-Palestinian? Not necessarily. We have just gotten sick of all the violence from both sides, that other than a slight bias towards the Israelis, which is expected considering the obvious, we are simply pro-Peace.

Another problem is that there are too many people in the world, and on this site as well, that are so biased one way or the other that they do not even bother to consider other opinions or methods to achieve their goals. With the Palestinians, Golda Meir said it best, in reference to the suicide bombers: "Only when the Palestinians love their children more than they hate Israel will peace be achieved." However, with the Israelis, if they could just shove aside their pride and look for a good answer, they would find that if they were in the same position of the Palestinians, they would resort to similar tactics, except for suicide bombers. These people are just in a no-man's land right now. Their "Arab Allies" haven't done much for them other than use them as pawns in their war against Israel, so Israel should become their ally. They should be the knight that saves them. If Israel chose to invest some of the money they use to bolster their defense forces into the Palestinian people to try to educate them and greatly improve their standard of living, there would no longer be a problem because the majority of Palestinians, like any other people, just want a safe, clean place to live, a stable job, and an education for their children. There would no longer be jealousy or covet of Israel's lands if the West Bank and the Gaza Strip became an equal to Israel's current prosperity.

Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:26 am

Only when the Palestinians love their children more than they hate Israel will peace be achieved."

Absolutely.

blink182

Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:49 am

I agree with US330.

Also, regarding being Jewish and supporting Israel. This is not always the case. While in some cases I have been brainwashed in Sunday school into supporting Israel, I am neutral. I did a paper about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and for awhile, I was Pro-Palestine. Now, after hearing more of what has happened. I am neutral. Both leaders(Sharon and Arafat) are too stubborn to realize their own faults and think fighting is the only solution. I couldn't care less about land anymore. If the West Bank goes to Palestine, fine, so be it. If it goes to Israel, fine, so be it. I just want the killing innocent people to stop. I am not just referring to the suicide bombers, I am also referring the Israeli soldiers going into villages and firing their weapons. It's sickening.

As far as the US supporting Israel. If it were to stop, I couldn't care less. Maybe a somewhat fair resolution could occur as Bush is seemingly pro-Israel to the point that it is understandably a disadvantage to the Palestinians. I think Clinton came within closer reach of peace than Bush will ever come.

I am also sick of Temples and synagogues making their discussions of this matter so pro-Israel it isn't even funny. This was a topic we talked about, and many times I spoke to correct the teachers in order to give my fellow classmates a fair view of this and that way they could make their own opinions. So, at the root of the problem, both sides are teaching the kids to hate each other.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Hepkat

Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:10 am

Us330, I applaud your efforts at trying to understand both sides, and I fully agree with your conclusions. TNNH's comment proves your point quite forcefully, that there will never be peace until BOTH sides rid themselves of their bias.

Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:36 am

until BOTH sides rid themselves of their bias.

uhhh buddy,. think about the words your using. bias? that'll never happen. dude everyone has a bias, even the pope.

sometimes i don't think you know what your talking about despite your perceived eloquent style.

Klaus

Twaneedsnohelp

Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:45 am

Twaneedsnohelp: uhhh buddy,. think about the words your using. bias? that'll never happen. dude everyone has a bias, even the pope.

You´re missing the point: Everyone has a point of view. But it´s still possible to be unbiased at the same time...

Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:10 pm

yeah i suppose your right, but still most everyone has some kind of bias. It's human nature to seek alternatives in one's own interest.

very hard to rid people of bias, its just natural to look out for your own self-interest.

Klaus

Twaneedsnohelp

Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:15 pm

Twaneedsnohelp: very hard to rid people of bias, its just natural to look out for your own self-interest.

The turning point is where it becomes clear that egoism isn´t necessarily in your own interest...

Mon Jul 15, 2002 1:56 pm

I think your confused on the meaning of "egoism".

"Egoism" is simply the "ethical doctrine that morality has its foundations in self-interest."

"egotism is the tendency to speak or write of oneself excessively and boastfully." and yeah thats bad.

TNNH