Superfly
Topic Author

Ford Makes The Best Cars In The World

Sat Jul 13, 2002 6:48 pm

Yesterday I met a guy at a gas station who had a 1971 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible. It was in OK shape. I complemented the owner on his car.
He was very proud of his car because he had 468,327 miles on the engine!
He said he bought it when he completed college in 1971 and has been a very low maintenance car.
I can certainly believe it too!
My Lincoln (1977) has over 220,000 miles on it and is still running strong.
This is a testament to traditional full-size American made cars.
Solid, indestructible and lots of low-end torque (that’s whare power is most important).

The guy’s car at the gas station looked just like this one.
Bring back the Concorde

Hurricane

RE: Ford Makes The Best Cars In The World

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:08 pm

Amen Superfly.
Think of all of the great cars over the years, all of the cars that manufacturers try to imitate today.
The birth of the muscle car. The T-Bird. The LTD/Crown Vic. The built Ford tough F-150. Even up to the production of the modern SUV. Hell, the birth of the affordable car in the first place! How often do you see a restored 'Stang with hundreds of thousands of miles? How often do you see an old Ford Pickup' that keeps going strong? Ford truly has made, makes, and forever will make the best cars ever.

b747ca

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:13 pm

Dudes, I agree to some extent. But the title should be Ford Once Made the Best Cars in the World.

ALL the Big 3 NAmerican car makers are spiting out some really crappy cars these days. As a matter of fact ALL the mainstream car manufactures are making some pretty crappy cars.

Nothing beats the good 'ol days though.
ma va funk ulo

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:37 pm

B747ca:
ALL the Big 3 NAmerican car makers are spiting out some really crappy cars these days

That's to stay competative with crap coming from Europe and Japan. Big grin

However, the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis & Town Car are the best new cars on the road today.
The new Thunderbird, Maruder & LS are fantastic vehicles too.  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

b747ca

Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:40 pm

However, the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis & Town Car are the best new cars on the road today.
The new Thunderbird, Maruder & LS are fantastic vehicles too.

Agreed. I was thinking more towards what I call the (myself included) "poor man's car"
ma va funk ulo

racko

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:10 pm

Go home with your strange-looking as-old-as-my-grandma cars  Big grin

And even Americans have to love the look of this babe:

click for wallpaper

KROC

Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:43 pm

Superfly, I too love Ford Rigs, but there was an article in the USAToday not long ago about some guy from NYC that was about to turn 2 million!!! miles on his Volvo. Now that is impressive.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:29 pm

The modern day american cars like Lincoln continental's are really eye-catching machinery:

The old style cars looked seriously naff.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:42 pm

No way! Dodge will always be #1 in my book!
The Ford Mustang

doesn't even come close to this........

Dodge Viper

The Ford Ranger

can't even compare to this beauty

Dodge Dakota

Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:45 pm

New Dodge Viper Takes On Air Force F-16 on Ripley's "Believe it or Not."

The challenge pitted the all-new Dodge Viper against an F-16 jet in a side-by-side, standing-start, half-mile drag race on parallel air base runways, accelerating to the speed at which the jet became airborne: approximately 150 mph. The Dodge Viper covered the course in around 15 seconds.

Read more @ http://www.dodge.com/inside/news_awards/news_viper_race.html?tsrc=viper&tgrp=promo2&tname=viper_vs_viper

The Dodge Viper took on a F-16 and won. How many fords can do that.........NONE.

Ilyushin96M

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:27 am

With the exception of Rolls-Royce, I have a hard time accepting the idea that any gas-guzzling behemoth can be considered one of the best cars in the world. And I agree with B747ca...American car manufacturers once turned out high-quality vehicles, but that has definitely not been the case for the past two decades. Only more recently have GM, Ford and Chrysler been making cars that truly compete with vehicles from Europe and Japan, but quality still tends to be lacking.

It's interesting to see which car manufacturers have really started turning out amazing vehicles. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Volkswagen...those particular marques used to be considered cheap tin boxes, but I dare anyone here to say the same about the latest Altima, Accord, Camry or Passat. I particularly remember the Volkswagens of the early '80s - utilitarian transportation, but not one bit of luxury. And that particular brand is the one most likely to be credited for providing cheap transportation to the masses.

It's unfortunate that many foreign manufacturers have surpassed American ones in terms of quality and reliability. I'm glad to see new products like the Cadillac CTS, Lincoln LS, Ford Escape, etc. entering the market. It gives me hope that the American auto industry is at least becoming more competitive. Now, if they could just match foreign car quality...

VonRichtofen

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:40 am

I think Ford is doing just fine. Considering the focus is the best selling car in europe ( I believe that's the first time a non-european manufacturer has achieved this title ).

OH-LZA

Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:55 am

VonRichtofen,

Fords popular in Europe are much smaller than the Fords popular in North America, for example the Focus is very popular here in Finland but I didn't see a lot of them when I went to the States last month.

Many US Fords aren't even sold here, I can think of the following models not being sold in Finland, some of them might be sold in Central Europe though.

Explorer
Explorer Sport
Expedition
Excursion
F-150, -250, -350, -450
Ranger (North American model, we do have a crap Thai-made model which is also called Ranger here)

IMHO German cars are the best!

Alex

KRIC777

Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:28 am

standing-start, half-mile drag race

That is the key to this "race". From a standing start, a Viper (or any other reasonably quick street car) would already be far,far ahead by the time the F-16 (or any other jet) got up to about 60 MPH.

Another key (from the link provided):
"For the latter, DaimlerChrysler's PVO team tapped more horsepower and clad their Viper in racing slicks"

The car was clearly a wringer juiced up by the Dodge folks for this publicity stunt. Since this thing was run on TBS "Ripley's Believe it or Not", it was intended for the masses, not for true, knowledgable car enthusiasts, who know better than to be impressed by this stunt.

The Dodge Viper took on a F-16 and won. How many fords can do that.........NONE

I'd wager that the SVT Cobra R or the upcoming GT-40 could do it. And I'm sure they could do it EASILY if they were 'hot rodded' up by Ford like the Viper was by Chrysler.

Don't get me wrong, the Viper is an awesome car. But it is ALL-MOTOR. The 2003 Viper will have an 8.3L V-10. That's insane!!! Even Yugo could make a fast car if they put a motor in it the size of my living room. The Viper will get more respect from me when Dodge (like Ford already has) ditches the gigantic, 1950's trechnology engine and offers it with a modern, overhead-cam, multivavle drivetrain. That way, they could get similar power out of smaller (i.e. lighter) engines, and the car will ultimately be even faster  Smile

KRIC777

Sun Jul 14, 2002 1:58 am

Check mate, kids

BRAVO. I'm as patriotic as the next American, but even I know that the best cars in the world (by far) come from ....Deutschland.

Anyone arguing that they come from any US car company had better get a clue. Proof that they don't lies in the fact that the US is the largest market for nearly every German and Japanese manufacturer (despite that fact that they are more expensive than their US competition) yet US companies (with the exception of Ford) cannot GIVE AWAY their crap. Read european car magazines...American cars are a joke. I know this is partly because US cars are built for the North American market (cheap gas, long travelling distances, American preference for oversized cars), but also because, quality-wise (i.e. -- how well scewed-together is the thing), the Big Three cannot not touch VW, Mercedes, Honda or Toyota (they do build good trucks, though).

The sad thing is that that there is no excuse for this..I know we can do better. Any country that can design & build Pentium chips, the Space Shuttle, the 777 and the 747-400 should certainly be able to build a world-class automobile...and it can..but it won't until the American consumer stops accepting mediocre cars from the Big Three.

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:36 am

Great collection, 777236ER!  Big thumbs up

Nothing can beat a BMW, every car they put out is fantastic. What would I give for owning a M3 or M5 ...  Big grin

The new Z4:

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:03 am

Guys make your own BMW thread.

I dont want to see that toilet trash in here.

Why do we always have to get flamed with these idiotic BMWs.

"Nothing can beat a BMW"

Right wow your so intelligent.

Theiler

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:19 am

Your BMW's can't tow my boat worth a damn.

N312RC

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:29 am

The best cars in the world do come from Deutschland, but theyre TOO EXPENSIVE TO BE PRACTICAL.
N/A

sccutler

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:32 am

A little perspective, folks...

(1) My clients are all in the construction business, and they all drive trucks. The trucks they all buy for the really heavy work- the ones they'll keep for years, use and abuse, and know that they'll have to rely upon- are almost universally Fords- Power Stroke diesels for the heavy hauling.

The Japanese trucks still just don't hold up over the long haul, even the Toyotas, which are exquisitely built, but have a needlessly complex engine, one which is higher-tech, but no more effective.

(2) Compare apples to apples here- my Caddy deville cost about the same as a v6 Lexus, has more room and a 32-valve Northstar V8. I picked it up in September of last year and, after 12,000 miles (not kilometres, though I can change the vehicle's display to metric with a touch of a button), all I've done so far is have the oil changed twice. It was, as delivered, perfect.

The engineering in most contemporary American cars is unsurpassed by any, and in an appropriate comparison, they are soundly competetive.

Of course, I still miss my Audi and I expect I'll drive another one, one of these days. And, my wife loves her BMW cabrio (though she sure gets a lot of speeding tickets in it!).

In cars, there is something for everyone, and no need for anyone to be insulting anyone else about their choice of car.

Though I still have not a clue who the target market for the Pontiac Aztek is; blind people maybe? But if you're blind, you can't drive a car, right? Oh, except in Palm Beach, Florida.

G'bye.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

KFRG

Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:38 am

Don't get me wrong, Bimmers are great, but unfortunately too plain, expensive, and commonplace. Give me a ImpalaSS over an M5 or a Mustang GT or Cobra over an M3 anyday. My dreamcar, which will someday become reality, will be a 1993 Mustang Saleen S351! Pure and true American power there.
BTW, Merdeces build-quality has dropped overtime. Not the Benz's which some people used to know.

-Tommy

777236ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:26 am

BMWs expensive? Hrm, actually drive one and you'll appreciate it. Speed volume for example. Soooo perfectly simple, but SUCH a good innovation. Multiply this innovation hundreds of times throughout the car and you get your value.
Your bone's got a little machine

N312RC

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:32 am

Yeah ok innovation schminovation... Chrysler was innovative when they introduced the Minivan under Lee Iococca, big deal.

On another note... How many middle class americans have 35k lying around for a BMW? Most people drive Taurus's or Accords or Windstars or Focii.
N/A

Greg

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:35 am

As an M5 owner, I would hardly put the ImapalaSS in the same class! No automotive expert would either!
I wouldn't even take one as a loaner!

Man, that one statement and I'll probably have to go back into therapy.
 Smile

777236ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:40 am

Yeah ok innovation schminovation... Chrysler was innovative when they introduced the Minivan under Lee Iococca, big deal.

Let's take Speed Volume on the radio. As I said, the small things DO matter and with any BMW you get to appreciate the build quality, the style and the sophistication of the car.

N312RC

Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:42 am

Forgot one thing however... the "average american" never visits airliners.net forums for some reason.. we always attract the multi-billion-dollar 15-25 year olds..  Yeah sure
N/A

KRIC777

Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:07 am

.....the US is the largest market for nearly every German and Japanese manufacturer (despite that fact that they are more expensive than their US competition) yet US companies (with the exception of Ford) cannot GIVE AWAY their crap

Lest I be misunderstood...what I meant here is that US manufacturers have a hard time selling their product outside of the Americas.

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:09 am

Yes, BMWs are expensive, bot they are worth every single cent. As mentioned by 777236ER, you get a car full of little details that makes it great as a package. Plus you get superb engines and a car that handles like a dream.

I drive an A4, Audis are not that expensive (especially 1/2-1 year old) and still high-quality, although they are not as good as BMWs, they are good cars.

STT757

Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:33 am

Speed Volume ?..

My Brother's '97 Cavalier Z24 has Speed volume.

You want innovation, name the Country that invented intermitted wipers. Sure wasn't any European or Japanase automaker, it was an American.

I can't think of any feature added to cars in the last 20 years that has made driving more conveinent than intermitted wipers.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:03 am

"Lest I be misunderstood...what I meant here is that US manufacturers have a hard time selling their product outside of the Americas. "

Righhhhhhht. I see absolutely no Fords, Chryslers, Dodges when i go to Europe....no i havent even seen a Focus there.

"As an M5 owner, I would hardly put the ImapalaSS in the same class! No automotive expert would either!
I wouldn't even take one as a loaner!"

Ok yea...... The M5 is $90,000. I can buy a Viper for 85 and take you to hell and back. A modifies 96' SS has a good 320 horsepower and a 5.7L V8 Vette engine for $25,000. Talk about a ripoff!!!!!!!!!!!! And besides you could be just another ILS.......

"Let's take Speed Volume on the radio. As I said, the small things DO matter and with any BMW you get to appreciate the build quality, the style and the sophistication of the car."

Yea my moms 97' Thunderbird has it......your point is?

All of you that think your hot shots because you compare a $40,000 BMW to a $23,000 Taurus.

"Forgot one thing however... the "average american" never visits airliners.net forums for some reason.. we always attract the multi-billion-dollar 15-25 year olds.."

I agree with you Rob.....it seems every teenager and 20 year old has a BMW 740 or an M3/M5...........

KFRG

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:11 am

777236ER- Yes, Bimmers do equal crazy $

Greg- Although very different cars, they are alike, both large sedans (Although the SS would be paired up more evenly with the 7-series). Class? Just tell me how many Euro and American auto's are in the same class.....

"Yes, BMWs are expensive, bot they are worth every single cent. As mentioned by 777236ER, you get a car full of little details that makes it great as a package. Plus you get superb engines and a car that handles like a dream."

It's not just about the love of driving? What about the love for doing things yourself. Your not going to be able to perform anywhere near the same amount of mods on an M3 as you would on a 302 or another push-rod, or modular engine (281). I guess this is where their class is divided.

-Tommy

777236ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:15 am

Righhhhhhht. I see absolutely no Fords, Chryslers, Dodges when i go to Europe....no i havent even seen a Focus there.

HAHA!! You're joking right? We have Ford factories here!

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:22 am

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:23 am

I was being sarcastic....thats why i went "riiiiiiiiighhhhhhht"

777236ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:30 am

Click them all to enlarge!
(I hope this pleases those who were unhappy at soooo many pics. They're smaller now!)

The Z8

The Z8 from the side

The Z8 cockpit

The M3 Coupé

The M3 Convertible

The Sequential Manual Gearbox
II

The X5

The 7 series

The 7 series from the side

The 7 series instrument panel

Check mate, kids.

flyingbronco05

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:39 am

If ford makes the best cars, then why was the focus recalled because of the engine stalling and the front end dropping out?

The ford mustang gt a few years ago had a hole in the engine and was losing to base camaros. Seems to me that Ford has problems with their automobiles!

Have a nice day.

Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:40 am

"Righhhhhhht. I see absolutely no Fords, Chryslers, Dodges when i go to Europe....no i havent even seen a Focus there."

Do you know where big parts of the Focus were designed ? So you can hardly say that the Focus is a typical american car. And no, you do not see many Chryslers or Dodges here.

Staffan

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:42 am

We had a Ford, but it had no big V8 or anything like that, only a 1.4L engine... Indeed a very good car, and popular, because it was stolen twice.  Big grin

Staffan

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:48 am

""Righhhhhhht. I see absolutely no Fords, Chryslers, Dodges when i go to Europe....no i havent even seen a Focus there."

I was ONLY BEING SARCASTIC.

777236ER

Go start a BMW thread and post those damned BMWs somewhere else.

"If ford makes the best cars, then why was the focus recalled because of the engine stalling and the front end dropping out?"

Because alot of it was designed in Europe thats why.

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:50 am

And you got it back after it was stolen ? If a car is stolen here, chances are good that it is Poland before you even notice it is stolen  Sad

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:50 am

BTW:

The 7 series back looks like a cheap Daewoo Lanos.

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:51 am

"If a car is stolen here, chances are good that it is Poland before you even notice it is stolen "

Poland? You mean in Russia.... The Russian mafia operates in Poland because its in close proximity to Germany. The cars that are stolen are going straight to Lithuania then Russia

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:56 am

LOT, you are turning one argument against itself. On the one hand, you mention the Focus as an american car in europe, then you mention that it is faulty because big parts of it were designed in europe. So either there are no good-selling american cars in europe, or there is one but that is faulty.

About stolen cars : Well, I'm not so keen on car-stealing procedures, so I don't really know where the cars go in the end. I just said Poland because it's mentioned in all these jokes.

Staffan

Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:58 am

"If a car is stolen here, chances are good that it is Poland before you even notice it is stolen"

The car was 13 years old and it would probably have cost more to transport it to Russia or whatever, than the car actually was worth. Anyway, we got it back with a few scratches and with 4 wheels less than it originally had.  Laugh out loud

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:05 am

"LOT, you are turning one argument against itself. On the one hand, you mention the Focus as an american car in europe, then you mention that it is faulty because big parts of it were designed in europe. So either there are no good-selling american cars in europe, or there is one but that is faulty."

Yes it is an american brand car but mostly designed in Europe........im not turning anything against myself. Its still an American brand though.

"About stolen cars : Well, I'm not so keen on car-stealing procedures, so I don't really know where the cars go in the end. I just said Poland because it's mentioned in all these jokes. "

Yes ive heard them, some of them quite good Big grin

racko

Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:54 am

Staffan, they actually stole a 13 years old car ? I think the thief needs new glasses.  Big grin When I started driving with 18, I had an about 10 years old Golf. I left it open once on a public parking because I was late to my date at the doctor and didn't think of locking the car. When I came back, the police was there and a woman was talking with them because her Volvo was stolen while my old Golf was standing unlocked beside it. When I realized that I left my car open, I started to laugh out loud. Can you imagine the looks of the policeman and the woman ? Big grin

Since then, I've never again left anything unlocked  Smile

Boeing4ever

Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:56 am

I've heard the jokes too! And let me say I'm less impressed. Typical of the Germans. First they bomb it, then they have to insult it, and now they try all sorts of other economic crap on them. Then they complain about how American foreign policy works! Makes me sick as an American who's parents came from Poland.

B4e

Staffan

Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:57 am

Even worse, they stole the 4 rusty 13 inch metal wheels (with hubcaps), before ditching it in a parking lot...  Smile

KFRG

Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:09 am

Well, back to the original post, I forgot to mention, Superfly, my friend has a '68 Galaxie, with only 60,000 miles to the engine! The car itself is in great shape, too bad he's selling it, the sound of that 390 big block is amazing.

-Tommy

N312RC

Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:22 am

Superfly,

My dad has a 64 Galaxie 500 with a big 352. He got the exhaust system totally rebuilt and the next project is to grind the rust out of the rear window edges.. A little over 100,000 miles on the clock, it's got an Allegro Mark IV Heater mounted underdash and an single speaker AM radio! He got the white walls and wheelcovers taken off and replaced them with Krager wheels and some nice fat BF Goodrich tires.
N/A