Le Quatorze Juillet

Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:07 am

To all the citizens of France on airliners.net,

HAVE A GREAT QUATORZE JUILLET
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

RE: Le Quatorze Juillet

Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:18 am

And for those who don't know....

Bastille Day, on the Fourteenth of July, is the French symbol of the end of the Monarchy and the beginning of the First Republic. The national holiday is a time when all citizens can feel themselves to be members of a republican nation. It is because this national holiday is rooted in the history of the birth of the Republic that it has great significance.

On 5 May 1789, the King convened the Estates General to hear their complaints: but the assembly of the Third Estate, representing the citizens of the town, soon broke away and formed the Constituent National Assembly. On 20 June, 1789, the deputies of the Third Estate took the oath of the Jeu de Paume "to not separate until the Constitution had been established." The Deputies opposition was echoed by public opinion. The people of Paris rose up and decided to march on the Bastille, a state prison that stood for the absolute despotism of the Ancient Regime.

On July 14, 1789, the storming of the Bastille immediately took on a great historical dimension; it was proof that power no longer resided in the King as God's representative, but in the people, in accordance with the theories developed by their philosophers of the eighteenth century. Within two days the Revolution could not be reversed. For all citizens of France, the storming of the Bastille came to symbolize liberty, democracy in the struggle against oppression.

Smile

AF Cabin Crew

Le Quatorze Juillet 2002

Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:41 am

Bonjour all...

And to all french citizens a joyeux 14 Juillet.
I just watched the military parade which had the particularity to have welcomed for the first time cadets from West Point. The american cadets participated in the parade and where amongst the first to march down the famous Champs Elysees.
France also celebrated 200 years of Legion d´Honneur, the highest distinction from France, 200 years for the Saint Cyr Military School.
Also extremely cheered by the parisians on the Champs Elysees were the BSPP, Brigade des Sapeurs Pompiers de Paris, Paris´ Firemen, who invited the FDNY firemen and one truck to participate.
This year´s parade was no doubt stressing the friendly relationship between France and the USA and their people.
The Hector Berlioz orchestration of the Marseillaise, France´s national anthem was sung by the demoiselle de la legion d´honneur.

Once again a happy 14th of July to all and Vive la France...

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alain Mengus

Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

meister808

Mon Jul 15, 2002 3:51 am

VIVE LA FRANCE.

(filler filler filler filler filler filler filler.)
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

Klaus

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:15 am

Happy celebration!  Big thumbs up

777236ER

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:16 am

Can't wait for the headlines tomorrow saying that France surrendered after citizens mistook fireworks as artillary.  Big grin
Your bone's got a little machine

Klaus

777236ER

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:46 am

777236ER: Consider yourself slapped in the face.

777236ER

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:47 am

Oh la la!
Your bone's got a little machine

Cyril B

Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:59 am

Good idea of post Manni, and thank you!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

July 14th is always a special day in the year, and this year it was a great celebration of the franco-amercican relationship, with the parade of some NY firefighters among the french soldiers.

Sadly, an almost madman tried (and failed) to kill the president, J.Chirac.

Rai

Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:26 am

Happy Bastille day! I find it very touching that recent graduates of the West Point Acadamy and members of the FDNY were invited to take part in the parades. It's quite a gesture by the French authorities and it shows that things between our two countries aren't as bad as the press would like them to be...So much for that anti-French sentiment thread...

Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:47 am

The contents of FlightLevel's post have been taken verbatim from http://www.hightowertrail.com/Bastil.htm, compiled by Tseguereda Mogues. However, there is absolutely no acknowledgement of the source in his post. I'm bringing this up because it is the second time in two days I've noticed this user quoting some text without acknowledging the source.

People, please avoid plagiarism by acknowledging your sources, especially when quoting something directly! Of course, the Bastille Day info itself is not copyright protected (it falls under "common knowledge"), but the wording of the three paragraphs is.

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:55 am

777236ER, I'll absorb that slap from Klaus, since you were saying what I would have! Unfortunately, Klaus is very touchy when it comes to making fun of France-even in jest.  Big grin

Klaus

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:22 am

Alpha 1: Unfortunately, Klaus is very touchy when it comes to making fun of France-even in jest.

I´d have reacted similarly if it had been in one of the July 4th threads.

Ever heard of this exotic concept named "common decency"?

Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:37 am

VIVE LA FRANCE!!!!!!

Image: Flags of the World (www.crwflags.com/fotw); Antonio Martins. Used here in accordance with FOTW's copyright policy.

One of the best ways to celebrate France is to enjoy the country's incredible cuisine:

http://frenchfood.about.com/cs/maincourses/index.htm

(This page is making me hungry!)

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:17 am

Ever heard of this exotic concept named "common decency"?

Like I said, you're too damn sensitive over this. You know people are gong to joke it-people have been joking about France like this for years, yet you always jump down peoples' throats about it. Lighten up a little, Klaus. No one means any harm by it.

Klaus

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:57 am

Alpha 1: Like I said, you're too damn sensitive over this. You know people are gong to joke it-people have been joking about France like this for years, yet you always jump down peoples' throats about it. Lighten up a little, Klaus. No one means any harm by it.

It´s group prejudice at its vilest, right down there with other racist "jokes". I couldn´t care less which actual group is the target du jour.

If this is the only thing you can think of with regard to "humor", you deserve pity.

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 15, 2002 12:01 pm

ROTFL, Klaus, get off your holier-than-thou attitude on this. It's a joke right up there, as far as I'm concerned, with the old "Redneck" jokes that make the rounds-most people don't take offense to what is just a friendly chide, and they don't think it reflects on the actual group/country being chided. Unfortunately, you're not one of these people, and I really don't care if you're offended by it. I think it can be funny under the right circumstance. Sorry if you don't agree.

LH423

Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:48 am

À tous les Français:

C'est un peu tard, mais je vous souhaite une bonne fête. Vive la république!

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry