clipperhawaii

An AA Pilot Speaks

Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:58 am

This American Airlines Captain's letter has been circulating in our pilot community here.

You Worry Me. I Wish You Didn't.

"You worry me. I wish you didn't. I wish when I walked down the streets of this country that I love, that your color and culture still blended with the beautiful human landscape we enjoy in this country. But you don't blend in anymore. I notice you, and it worries me. I notice you because I can't help it anymore.
People from your homeland, professing to be Muslims, have been attacking and killing my fellow citizens and our friends for more than 20 years now. I don't fully understand their grievances and hate but I know that nothing can justify the inhumanity of their attacks.
On September 11, nineteen ARAB-MUSLIMS hijacked four jetliners in my country. They cut the throats of women in front of children and brutally stabbed to death others. They took control of those planes and crashed them into buildings killing thousands of proud fathers, loving sons, wise grandparents, elegant daughters, best friends, favorite coaches, fearless public servants, and children's mothers. So I notice you now.
I don't want to be worried. I don't want to be consumed by the same rage and hate and prejudice that has destroyed the soul of these terrorists. But I need your help. As a rational American, trying to protect my country and family in an irrational and unsafe world, I must know how to tell the difference between you, and the Arab / Muslim terrorist.
How do I differentiate between the true Arab-Muslim-Americans and the Arab-Muslims in our communities who are attending our schools, enjoying our parks, and living in OUR communities under the protection of OUR constitution, while they plot the next attack that will slaughter those very same good neighbors and children?
The events of September 11th changed the answer. It is not my responsibility to determine which of you embraces our great country, with ALL of it's religions, with ALL of it's different citizens, with all of it's faults. It is time for every Arab-Muslim in this country to determine it for me. I want to know, I demand to know, and I have a right to know whether or not you love America.

Do you pledge allegiance to it's flag?
Do you proudly display it in front of your house, or on your car?
Do you pray in your many daily prayers that Allah will bless this nation, that He will protect and prosper it? Or do you pray that Allah with destroy it in one of your "Jihads"?
Are you thankful for the freedom that only this nation affords? A freedom that was paid for by the blood of hundreds of thousands of patriots who gave their lives for this country?
Are you willing to preserve this freedom by paying the ultimate sacrifice?
Do you love America?

If this is your commitment, then I need YOU to start letting ME know about it. Your Muslim leaders in this nation should be flooding the media at this time with hard facts on your faith, and what hard actions you are taking as a community and as a religion to protect the United States of America. Please, no more benign overtures of regret for the death of the innocent because I worry about who you regard as innocent. And no more benign overtures of condemnation for the unprovoked attacks because I worry about what is unprovoked to you. I am not interested in any more sympathy, I am only interested in action. What will you do for America -- our great country -- at this time of crisis, at this time of war?

I want to see Arab-Muslims waving the AMERICAN flag in the streets.
I want to hear you chanting "Allah Bless America."
I want to see young Arab-Muslim men enlisting in the military.
I want to see a commitment of money, time, and emotion to the victims of this butchering and to this nation as a whole.

The FBI has a list of over 400 people they want to talk to regarding the WTC attack. Many of these people live and socialize in Muslim communities. You know them. You know where they are. Hand them over to us, now! But I have seen little even approaching this sort of action. Instead I have seen an already closed and secretive community close even tighter.

You have disappeared from the streets.
You have posted armed security guards at your facilities.
You have threatened lawsuits.
You have screamed for protection from reprisals.

The very few Arab-Muslim representatives that HAVE appeared in the media were defensive and equivocating. They seemed more concerned with making sure that the United States prove who was responsible before taking action. They seemed more concerned with protecting their fellow Muslims from violence directed towards them in the United States and abroad than they did with supporting our country and denouncing "leaders" like Khadafi, Hussein, Farrakhan, and Arafat.
If the true teachings of Islam proclaim tolerance and peace and love for all people, then I want chapter and verse from the Koran and statements from popular Muslim leaders to back it up. What good is it if the teachings in the Koran are good and pure and true when your "leaders" are teaching fanatical interpretations, terrorism, and intolerance. It matters little how good Islam SHOULD BE if large numbers of the world's Muslims interpret the teachings of Mohammed incorrectly and adhere to a degenerative form of the religion.

A form that has been demonstrated to us over and over again.
A form whose structure is built upon a foundation of violence, death, and suicide.
A form whose members are recruited from the prisons around the world.
A form whose members defended Johnny Cochran and O. J. Simpson after the latter butchered his wife and murdered an innocent friend.
A form whose members (some as young as five years old) are seen day after day, week in and week out, year after year, marching in the streets around the world, burning effigies of our presidents, burning the American flag, shooting weapons into the air.
A form whose members convert from a peaceful religion, only to take up arms against the great United States of America.
A form whose rules are so twisted, that their traveling members refuse to show their faces at airport security checkpoints, in the name of Islam.

Do you and your fellow Muslims hate us because our women proudly show their faces in public rather than cover up like a shameful whore?
Do you and your fellow Muslims hate us because we drink wine with dinner, or celebrate Christmas? Do you and you fellow Muslims hate us because we have befriended Israel, the ONLY civilized nation in the entire middle-east?

And if you and your fellow Muslims hate us, then why in the world are you even here?
Are you here to take our money?
Are you here to undermine our peace and stability?
Are you here to destroy us? If so, I want you to leave. I want you to go back to your desert sandpit where women are treated like rats and dogs.

I want you to take your religion, your friends, and your family back to your Islamic extremists, and STAY THERE! We will NEVER give in to your influence, your retarded mentality, your twisted, violent, intolerant religion.

We will NEVER allow the attacks of September 11, or any others for that matter, to take away that which is so precious to us: Our rights under the greatest constitution in the world. I want to know where every Arab-Muslim in this country stands and I think it is my right and the right of every true citizen of this country to demand it. A right paid for by the blood of thousands of my brothers and sisters who died protecting the very constitution that is protecting you and your family.

I am pleading with you to let me know. I want you here as my brother, my neighbor, my friend, as a fellow American. But there can be no gray areas or ambivalence regarding your allegiance and it is up to YOU, to show ME, where YOU stand. Until then. You worry me."

Captain John Maniscalco American Airlines

You may agree with this letter or not. A lot of pilots however feel the same way. Interesting perspective none the less. Are his points valid or too extreem?
I invite your intelligent comments.

CH

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

RE: An AA Pilot Speaks

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:16 am

You have threatened lawsuits.

If this isn't demonstration enough of what this AA pilot needs from the Arab-Muslim community in America that they hold the ideals for which "America" stands (I fail to see how having a flag on your house or car makes a lick of different) in the highest regard, I don't know what does.

The whole diatribe raises one or two good points, but overall it is 99.99% emotional and uninformed dribble.

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:19 am

Also, tell Captain John Maniscalco from me that he is nothing but a fricking racist. The whole thing he has written wreeks of racism....and only a blind man (or a total numbnut) would not be able to see it.

alaska739

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:24 am

Let's hear it for Captain Maniscalco! I'm glad that someone is finally stepping up to the plate and telling it like it is.

ev
north dakota sucks.

B747forlife

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:30 am

Alaska739: I'm with you.

Captain Maniscalco is right. Bravo, someone is finally saying what most Americans are thinking.

-Nick

artsyman

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:32 am

While I dont agree with everything the pilot said, and I dont really agree with how is doing it, I think he is bang on the money about how the muslims living in America should be standing up at the plate to try and address the balance on this. The odd thing is that I know a lot of muslims in the UK, and even though they are not terrorists, almost all of them has a deep hatred of America and of Britain for that matter. When asked on it, they all say the same thing, that this is how the were educated, and while they personally don't really see any personal problems, their ancesters know better...

Very sad

Jeremy

airlinelover

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:49 am

I say it's about damn time someone came out and said that.. I wish it had been said earlier, but better now than never.. Way to go Captain!!!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

delta-flyer

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:59 am

I agree with the Captain 100%. He is merely asking the American Muslim community which side they are on. It "wreeks" (wreaks) of anger and frustration, not racism, as Aviatsiya.ru suggests.

If they choose the US, then they must show their commitment. If not, leave. No one forced them to come here.

I think it's a great letter, and I am curious to hear (and see) the answer from the American Muslim community.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

NWA742

Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:00 am

Also, tell Captain John Maniscalco from me that he is nothing but a fricking racist.

How is he racist? Everytime an American has something to say on these boards, about another race, there are always people like you who call them racists Aviatsiya, yet you never explain yourself!

Why is he a racist for writing this?!?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Rai

Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:39 am

Very interesting letter. I live in a predominantly Muslim neighborhood of Queens and I really don’t get the sense of any misplaced loyalties. Most of the residents here seem genuinely happy to be living here and proud to be Americans. I’d even say that most of them go out of their way to prove that they are Americans. I’ve talked to many Muslims too and many of them were pretty impressed with the way the police reacted after 9/11 and that the anti-Muslim backlash wasn’t that bad. One girl was really heartened by the fact that extra police were stationed at local Mosques to make sure that they were protected against vandals or anyone else with like-minded ideas.

I have seen some interesting happenings, however. The other day, a group of Muslims were protesting down the street the bombings in Afghanistan. Most of them had signs claiming it to be a war against Islam. Nobody on the street seemed to be paying attention. I took a gander at some of the signs and noticed they had the web address www.almujahadid.com or something like that. I have heard that there was an Islamic militant site with a similar address. I haven’t had the time to check it out, but I may do so in the future. Again, I’m not sure of the spelling, but I am quite positive the address consisted of the word “mujahadid”, which means “holy warrior” in Arabic.

My landlord is from Egypt. I think he’s Costic, but his wife from Morocco and she’s definitely Muslim. Both are good people. He’s very, very pro-American and very patriotic. I was considering taking a job in Dubai and I asked him about it. He yelled at me, saying: “you want to work for bin Laden?!” I guess he has pretty strong emotions about it. He told me that for years the Costics were complaining to the government about the Muslims and that they “were up to something,” but that the government never listened. One thing for sure, he blames the U.S. for giving bin Laden money and weapon, and that they “should have never trusted him to begin with.” I consider him a good source of information as he has all the Arabic TV channels on satellite and he seems to be involved with the community.

On a side note, he tells me that he doesn’t consider himself to be “Arab”, but “Egyptian” and a “descendant of the Pharaohs.” I asked him why he doesn’t consider himself Arab and he gave me an answer, but it probably wouldn’t be appropriate to post on a public forum.

heavymetal

Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:29 am

What started out as a reasonable approach to touchy subjects like profiling and PC dissolved into a xenophobic rant.

Maniscalco, huh? Not 60 years ago your kind was killing Americans too, Captain. Stick to the throtle and waypoints, friend.

Alpha 1

Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:59 am

Amazing, Avitsiya-any time someone says that the Arabs are responsible for something, they're fricking racists. Well, maybe you're just fricking blind to the fact that Arab/Muslims have been causing terror for year now, and have blasphemed the God they say they represent, and have given a once proud religion and race a bad name. Maybe you should take your THI-sympathizing blinders off and smell the manure you're spreading once.

And why do you even care what an American aircraft Pilot is saying to fellow Americans? What concern is it to you-or did you feel the need to defend these noble terrorist-yet again?

I welcome you to the happy family of THI. Enjoy the company.

TWAL1011

Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:29 pm

Is this really what most Americans are thinking? I sure hope so.

But based on what I've seen lately, I'd have to say no. That's too bad.

I'm afraid it's going to take another mass slaughter of Americans for the rest to be bold.

TWAL1011

Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:40 pm

Appending my earlier comments, I feel that there were a couple of lines that probably should have been left out of the captain's letter...

rather than cover up like a shameful whore...

your retarded mentality

FutureSQPilot

Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:02 pm

I agree with most of the letter except for lines like those that TWAL1011 brought up. Maybe they haven't had the chance, but I would like to see some Arab-Muslims demonstrate their American pride through the media...we always see Palestinian muslims burning/stomping on the American flag, why can't we see American Arab-Muslims raise the flag and defend the country that provides them with a chance at freedom and success? The only American Arab-Muslims that I have seen interviewed spoke only of concern for the safety of themselves and others in their American Arab-Muslim community.

Super Em

Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:07 pm

Every generation, there always seem to be a bad guy that surfaces. Japanese during WW2, Blacks during the 60's and 70's the Russians during the 80's and now the Muslims. One should study history and do research before judging a race instead of letting corporate controlled media do it for them. All races and religions have committed mass murders and crimes throughout history. All have used the "in the name of god" line to carry out their acts. A whole group of people cannot be blamed for a couple of extremists. Does the world hate all Christians because of Hitler? Did everyone hate white Americans because of Mcveigh? Let's not let our emotions get the best of us. We have the right to be angry. But it is when we are angry, we make the worst decisions.

flyboy36y

Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:41 pm

Good job captain! Thnak you for your wise words.

Aviatsiya.ru, a man who thinks races smell differently should not call others racist. The pot calling the kettle black, you know?

TWAL1011

Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:43 pm

Well, I don't know where you got the "Blacks during the 60's and 70's " thing from...

But as far as the Japanese during WWII, the Soviets during the 80's, and the Islamists of today...Yeah, they were/are the bad guys.

That was a very poor attempt at an analogy, my friend.

dc863

Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:47 pm

Good job Capt. I agree with you 110%!!!!!

We're Nuts

Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:22 pm

People are people are people are people. When will we all learn that? 99.9% of our bodies are exactly the same, it's that 0.1% which causes so much trouble. Fortunately, no thinking man would allow such a tiny percentage to rule his world. Thinking men need no leaders. Only the stupid and the sheep require someone to care for them, and in the lack of genuine leadership, they will follow anyone whose mouth bleats loudly enough. Our fate for being intelligent, but not intelligent enough.
Dear moderators: No.

ryanb741

Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:25 pm

The thing about Islam is that Muslims view themselves as part of a wider community of Islam stretching across all of the World's Muslims, rather than to the country in which they live.

That is why many Muslims refuse to join the Armed forces - they would rather not fight against fellow Muslims (even if those Muslims were in the wrong).

My flatmate (an Iraqi) is a devout shi'te Muslim. Whilst he is totally anti Bin Laden and the fanatics, there is a real sense of injustice on his part for the way he believes the Middle East has been betrayed by the West.

The thing that gets me though is that whilst Palestine is an example of injustice in the world, there are countless other injustices equally bad which your average Muslim couldn't give a damn about. It all samcks of a loyalty to their own, which goes back to when the Prophet Mohammed decryed that all Muslims are part of their own community and should look afetr themselves first and foremost. This is why you hear previously unintroduced Muslims calling themselves 'Brother and Sister'. They view themselves as being part of a family.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

wn700driver

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:04 am

. A lot of pilots however feel the same way

A lot of pilots should be fired then. Personally I don't know what the hell he is talking about, & I don't think he does either (as in, is this for real?). We certainly do need to be made more aware of our surroundings here, but
I have heard of no cases in real life where a woman covered ead-to-toe was allowed through security at any airport. But also, people across the board need to take more responsibility. I know that even before the 11th, it would have taken a lot more than a box cutter or three to take away my plane. Just something to think about.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:08 am

I agree with Aviatsiya on this ... it does indeed reek of racism. Kinda like the response to the erosion of privacy laws you always get: if you have nothing to hide then there's nothing to be scared of; or the question: "have you stopped battering your wife yet?"

manni

Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:56 am

Dont get into the temptation of spreading racist propaganda is not going to make your lives any better.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

KROC

Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:16 am

I love it. Not only is the racism card pulled in America anytime two races have a problem, but now it is spreading worldwide.

Let me say this for those in the cheap seats. Not every issue in the world is based on racism. Now I have only skimmed through the original post, only because these arguments are tiresome and go nowhere these days, so let me say this. I for the most part agree with the basis of the "letter". Does that mean I am racist? No. The thing is, Islamic (muslim, Middle Eastern, whichever you prefer) terrorists have have ruined the whole image of all Muslims. They have tarnished a respected religion, and they have twisted a religion from being peaceful into nothing more than an "excuse" to carry out attacks in the name of Allah. Whenever I go anywhere now, and I see people who look like they are from Middle Eastern Decent, I am cautious, JUST like I am cautious with I was going in the rural areas of Mississippi and Georgia with my New York License Plates on my rig, and the lack of a drawl, and the fact I spoke at a rapid pace. Nobody knows how far the terrorist network expands, and because of this, things like profiling have become needed. I will apologize upfront for the Muslims in America who have to be the recipiant of such treatment, BUT because of these terrorists, it has become a must. Because of this, it does not mean it's racist, I'm racist, ect. It's not like in WWII where Japanese were forced into camps, made to lose all they had ect. In the year 2002, the need for Americans to be alert is at an all time high, and it is proven that the next possible attack could come from inside the country by ME's living here just as easily as it could come from outside the country. Before people start slinging the racism card, know something about the situation. Then again, when Avia.ru and SAS23 throw the racism card in the mix, all credibility goes to sh*t.

wn700driver

Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:36 am

KROC, the way I see see it, the problem isn't racism, the problem is this guy is an idiot. He is personally offended that not everybody like americans (Now, why in the hell would that ever happen?). He needs to get over it. That's it. I don't care if he is worried. I shouldn't have to alter my way of life b/c some ignorant fool is worried. I do agree that that woman in FLA should be made to show her face for an ID photo, that people should speak english as a primary language if they want to live here (these are neccessary for society to run smoothly), but this mindless paranoia can only invite further lessons. Also, letters like this merely showcase cowardice and are geared at nothing more than riling up the general population into being afraid of their own shadow. It's sad. That's why I disagree.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:52 am

Well said, Wn700driver! Paranoia = xenophobia = racism; regardless of the blinkers worn by the likes of KROC and Alpha 1 etc.

Actually, I suspect that this so-called letter is probably a fake; no captain could be that stupid (or insensitive) surely ... then again, there are all those low IQ rednecks up front who are demanding that they be armed!  Yeah sure  Insane  Yeah sure

KROC

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:05 am

So SAS23. You agree with Wn700driver. "The problem is this guy is an idiot" and I agree with that. I agree its not racism, you agree with Wn, then take a shot on me? For the record, anytime you enter a thread, it becomes useless.

737doctor

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:37 am

Some of you may not agree with everything he said, but you should be able to understand his rationalization for writing it.

On September 11, 2001 he lost some of his colleagues in a senseless act of terror. Every time he steps into a cockpit and carries out his duties, he has to wonder if some knucklehead is going try the same thing again.

I don't fault him for writing it one bit.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

FutureSQPilot

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:45 am

Does the world hate all Christians because of Hitler? Did everyone hate white Americans because of Mcveigh?
Super Em- Prodominantly Christian countries Britain and US fought against Hitler and were the reason that he did not succeed... Millions of Christians all over the world denounced Hitler. America prosecuted and killed Timothy McVeigh even though he was one of their own citizens...Christians saw through their religion ties with McVeigh and denounced his actions as well. These examples are not relevant to the war on terrorism...

I have heard of no cases in real life where a woman covered (h)ead-to-toe was allowed through security at any airport
The fact remains that the people we are at war with are extremist muslims; prodominantly arab-muslims...and we reserve the right to protect ourselves by looking past the physical features of someone to find if they are a terrorist or not. The chances of an arab-muslim being an extremist are obviously higher than the chances of a common American redneck being one...accept it.

manni

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:47 am

Well, if he is that paranoid he should not be flying at all, he is a danger for his passengers. I wonder what American Airlines would say about one of his captains writing a discriminating open letter like this, keeping in mind that most likely they transport millions of muslims every year.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

kaitakfan

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:48 am

I just would like to maybe try and put a few of you in check with what is going on here. First off I can see how many of you (Avitsiya,SAS,Manni) view this letter as racisist and a bunch of emotional dribble and so on. That's understandable, because gentlemen, what happened to America almost 11 months ago is something you obviously can not, or perhaps refuse to actually comprehend. I really wish you could be placed into the view myself and thousands of other Americans had on Tuesday September 11th. If you were there watching the first tower billowing out smoke for 15 or so minutes you would say "wow what a shame. What a bad accident that is" Now picture this. Taking in this view of the first tower, and hearing a faint rumble behind you. Slowly the rumble turns into a roar. You look up and see a 767 flying at an incredible rate, make a quick left turn a plow into the second tower. To hear the impact and see that explosion, could you still find such opinions as the ones from the above letter racisist and uncalled for? Yes, still uncalled for? Still a horrible peace of writing? Ok then why don't you move in closer to the site. Now you stare up into the sky and have to witness men and women, who just a few hours ago were kissing their wife's and kids goodbye, make the choice of jumping from nearly 1000 feet above ground to their deaths. That is their last option in life which has just been cheated by a group of Islamic fundamentalists. And you have the nerve to say we are acting out of sorts and being racisist?!? To hell with that! Sadly I doubt trying to put this whole thing into prospective will change your point of views what so ever. After such an event any logical man, or women should agree that there is a risk and it needs to be dealt. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I guess I can understand your point of view only because you have no possible way to comprehend the scale of the attack on the 11th last year. From an Americans stand point along with many others who realize there is still a great amount of risk in our land, I ask you this... Keep your biased opinions to you and your friends who think Americans have no right to keep their country safe and aware of the danger at hand! There is no need for it!

FutureSQPilot

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:53 am

Well said Kaitakfan...

flyboy36y

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:57 am

Fear leads to anger... Anger leads to hate... Hate leads to suffering.

GD727

Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:48 am

I completley agree with this AA pilot, way to go!!! It is not racist, it seems liberals think everything is rascist these days!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

wn700driver

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:02 am

Kaitakfan,

You make good points, but careful how you say it. I was there, & my family is about 66% the size it was on the 10th as well. This however does not imply that my viewpoint would agree with that AAcapt. If anything, he worries me, seeing as how it was ignorant thinking (not unlike his; only it was in regards to the CCCP at the time), that led to dicking around in the Middle East & got us ALL into that situation in the first place. All I stipulate is that it would be more effective if the USa looked at the source of the issue to solve it, than trying to band-aid a severed arm, as it were (exactly the lazy, narrow minded solution this guy is favor of). I'm sorry, but as long as we have attitudes like that, we will never be free of terrorism.

Cheers

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:14 am

Actually, KROC it was you that took the first shot: Then again, when Avia.ru and SAS23 throw the racism card in the mix, all credibility goes to sh*t.

Don't come the injured party with me, laddie!

Kaitakfan - actually, here in the UK we have lived with terrorism for decades. I also lived in South Africa, where the ANC bombed civilian targets; and where security was even tighter than it is in the States - yet even when it was at its worst we didn't really go overboard in the way that this alleged AA captain has done.

Wn700driver - I'd be even more concerned about your president, who seems determined to drag the US (and anyone else he can) into an illegal and immoral attack on Iraq. At the moment, America occupies the moral high ground - more or less - but if it goes into Iraq without a legal basis then they will be committing exactly the same act of terrorism that Al Qaeda did on Sept 11 2001.

KROC

Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:25 am

SAS23. I had no idea the "truth" ws a shot. You have no ability to be unbiased in any issue you discuss..........

ben

Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:15 am

Is flying a 767 (or several of them) into a tall building full of 'innocent' people any worse than bombing a village full of children with napalm?

I could go on, but I wont. Privyet Aviatsiya, nice to see you again.

Ben.

prebennorholm

Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:39 am

Captain Maniscalco is so right in every word he wrote.

Basically he invites all good men and women living in his country to share the joy and pride of living in that great country.

calling that racism really characterizes those who do so.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

kaitakfan

Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:12 am

Ben, Basically from what you said, it seems you indirectly are saying that what happend on 9/11 was a justified act, due to fact the United states has in the passed killed innocent civilians which was in DECLARED WAR if I am not mistaken. I am not going to claim I have a extensive knowledge of policitical/war time issues. We can leave that to users such as Alpha1 who could rip you a new one in such arguements. I just think you are looking at this issue in a bad light. I find your prospective as if you were to go off and kill a group of police officers unprevoked. Then when you are taken in custudy your statements stand as... "well they have killed alot of people too, what I did isnt any worse!!! Think about it!

Wn700driver. I should also clarify that I to do not 100% agree with everything in this letter in discussion. I think some of what is said is true. Yet other parts are a bit far fetched. The only thing I can question you on is this... You say we should try to solve the problem by looking into the source of it. I think thats a bit easier said then done. Plenty of action has been taken over in Afghanistan where not to much is heard from lately, which is a good sign things are getting better. Yet the never ending problem between Israel and Palestine is a great example of the problem with going to the source. We have tried very hard to get things settled there and no matter how hard the issue of peace is pushed, it just is thrown away day after day with suicide bombings. Obviously peace is not on the minds of many fundamentalists over there. Which I think leads us to a "hands are tied" situation about our security. It doesnt seem to make much logic when we should profile people, yet strive to treat them as equals. A very sticky situation indeed.

yyz717

Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:26 am

Assuming this letter is real, maybe yall should lighten up on this pilot. Several of his coworkers (by the luck of the draw) were directly involved in 911. It could have been him.

As someone said, 3000 Americans were SLAUGHTERED. Imagine if 3000 Saudis were slaughtered????? Then you would see some racist commentary from some Saudis.

This AA pilot is entitled to his opinion, and I agree with his general gist.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:07 am

A lot of pilots should be fired then.

Sure WN700Driver, let's fire them over their POLITICAL VIEWS! This isn't the Soviet Union, friend. They can think what they want. Just because they're pilots doesn't mean they have to be neutral politically, does it? Sheesh.

I agree with Aviatsiya on this...

Gee, there's a headline-stopper, SAS23.  Yawn

He is personally offended that not everybody like americans..

I think he's personally offended, as most Americans are, that 3000 people were murdered by Muslims on 9/11. Now, if you tell me we shouldn't be offended by that, you can take a flying leap.

Kaitakfan, a marvelous post! Why don't Manni, SAS23 and friends call the terrorists "racists" for killing Christians and Jews, and Americans and Indians? I never hear that from these pious souls.

ExitRow

Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:44 am

To those of you that question this letter's authenticity, I did some search engine work and found that the speech "You Worry Me" by "American Airlines Captain John Maniscalco" is referenced to two different origins. One as:

The following letter was published in the Gazette Hyattsville, MD, October 11, 2001, on the Community Forum page.

And the other, more prevalent:

The following is the speech delivered by an American Airlines pilot at the annual Kahane Memorial Dinner, January 29, 2002

For the sake of full disclosure, the Kahane movement was created by Meir Kahane and was described by the Washington Post (in 2000) as a "... radical Jewish nationalist who advocated expelling Arabs from Israel." The movement is now led by Binyamin Kahane, "... and Kahane-linked groups such as Kach and Kanahe Chai have been designated by the State Department as foreign terrorist organizations for which domestic fundraising is prohibited."

http://www.library.cornell.edu/colldev/mideast/terrkhn.htm

If anyone else can track down any more info on "Capt. Maniscalco," please post. I am especially surprised to not find any sort of press release from American Airlines on this speech. (Either in support or not.)

Hopefully this information will add to this discussion.

AWspicious

Tue Jul 23, 2002 12:55 pm

I'm not racist, but heck, I think the goverment need to scrutinize more closely who they let into this country... And America, as well. I had the most amazing conversation with a (who I assume was a) Somali cab driver. I was too intoxicated to recall the details, but, he sure had me worried. After bringing me to my destination, the man shut off the engine and carried on talking for another 10 min about fire from the sky and Allah this and Allah that and striking down enemies and stuff. I couldn't wait to get out of that taxi!
Like I said in another post, the world's all gone wrong.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Alpha 1

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:07 pm

Hopefully this information will add to this discussion.

It didn't.  Big grin

Rai

RE: More Cab Stories

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:28 pm

Awspicious: Dude, you're scaring me! I hope you didn't give him a tip! Hmmm...come to think of it, the last cab driver I had in Toronto was from Somalia...could it be...?  Confused

One night coming home from after a night out in Manhattan, I struck up a good conversation with a Bengali cab driver. He was one of those really religious Muslim types with the beard, cap, loose fitting clothes...the whole nine yards. We starting talking about different things such as religion, world events and what not. We got on the topic of what he thought about America. He was saying that he generally liked it because he thought the people here were pretty open, nice and honest compared to his home country. On the other hand, he thought that some of the laws were too lax and that women had too many rights and other stuff like that. It was a good conversation and he ended up taking a liking to me as I am a bit on the conservative side and we agreed on several issues. When he dropped me off, he shook my hand and said, "you are a good man and may Allah bless you." It felt pretty cool and seemed like a genuine gesture. He seemed like a nice, genuine guy, so I don't think they're all that bad. You might even be surprised to find that you share a lot of common ground with them in spite of their "seemingly" different outlook...

AWspicious

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:33 pm

Rai;
Don't get me wrong - I have great respect for everyone of every couture. I think I can learn from all of the peoples of the world. I like to get to know where someone is from so I can make them feel comfortable and in turn learn something new about the world I live in. I know some Somalis and they seem damn fine to me. However, this guy was intense. If this was Somalia, he'd be knocking on my door at 8am trying to sell me booklets or something  Laugh out loud
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

ExitRow

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:38 pm

I have serious doubts about the validity (and therefore credibility) of the letter by "Captain John Maniscalco." Can anyone substantiate it? If it wasn't written by an airline employee (as stated) and is in fact fabricated to seem as such, I think that's an obscene misrepresentation of, and hugely disrepectful to, flight crews and airlines. I would think if someone wanted to express their strong personal views they should do so as an individual and not as a representative of the airline. At least not without the consent of the airline.

Alpha 1, quit being such a snapperhead and at least try to contribute to an adult conversation.

Rai

Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:51 pm

Awspicious: I'm not saying that at all, bro! I'll be honest, I would have been the first to stereotype this man as an Islamic militant based on his appearance. But our conversation pleasantly surprised me and I actually felt bad about branding him before getting to know him. You do bring up some good points though. We really should be more careful about who we let in and give new arrivals a bit more scrutiny.

Back in January, the NY Times had an article claiming that U.S. immigration had gone down after 9/11, but immigration from the Middle East had shot up! I'm not sure what the situation is now. But anyways, I do notice a lot more people of Middle Eastern descent than before, and I don't think it's because I'm "looking out for them." About a week ago, I saw this older guy dressed up in Taliban-like garb walking in my neighborhood. That's something I thought I'd only see in the news.