Topic Author

Roller Coasters!

Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:09 am

Who here loves roller coasters? Aside from various coasters at smaller amusement parks and fairs, I've ridden coasters at Worlds of Fun (Kansas City), Opryland (Nashville), Six Flags over Texas (Arlington) and Six Flags Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), but I'm always looking for more.

The 'Titan' at Six Flags over Texas is easily the best. At 255 feet and reaching speeds of 85 mph, it is just plain freaky. 'Mr. Freeze' is another great one. I love it when it goes straight up, hangs there for a split-second, then rushes backwards again.

The current movement to make roller coasters "safer" makes me sick. After a handful of injuries over a span of many years, the government feels the need to step in and regulate things. Leave it to lawmakers to collapse under the pressure of the minority and ruin the fun for the majority.

So, what are your favorite roller coasters? Do you prefer steel or wooden? Do you like ones that loop inverted? The ones on which your feet hang free? Or maybe you're one of those people that refuse to ride them. Tell us why. Share your favorite roller coaster experiences and maybe I (and other roller coaster lovers) will be able to add some new coasters to our "must ride" lists.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

RE: Roller Coasters!

Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:14 am

I love roller coasters I combine travel with roller coasters. I fly to the amusment parks. My favorite is the Pepsi Max Big one at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I like Steel hyper-coaster's the best (they are the reallt tall one with no loops)

Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:22 am

I went on a roller coaster pilgrimage a few years ago. If I don't become the CEO of Delta, I would gladly settle with designing roller coasters.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:03 am

Go to Cedar Point and ride the Millenium Force. 310 feet tall hyper coaster......300 foot drop reaching 93 mph. It also incorporates revoutionary lift system. Its like an elevator and u are like blasted up to the top at a steep angle. While you're there....try the other 14 coasters.

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:12 am

Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:20 am

My bad.

Should have done a search.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

Smokin cool
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:22 am

For some bizarre reason, the UK has become the rollercoaster capital of the world, with all the theme parks continually outdoing each other for the title of fastest/most loops/longest vertical drop in the world ever... time and again. I love them, but this is getting just silly.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:35 am

Banco, listen to TWAalltheway... UK is nothing compared to the US  Big grin

Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:41 pm

I love rollercoasters. Sadly in Oz over the past few years our theme parks have consolidated so no new mega coasters have opened to the public.

I guess we don't have the population base, but the ones here are not that bad. I like both woodies and the steel ones.

But the most terrifying theme park ride I have ever ridden on was not a coaster and is called *Giant Drop*.

Look up the rides and go to "Giant Drop". I have never been more terrified in my life, even bungy jumping wasn't as scary!!

Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:47 pm

I've been to Cedar Point and Worlds of Fun and the best one I've been on is the Timberwolf. I haven't been on a coaster lately since I was a little kid, though. I did go to WoF a couple of months ago, but poor weather didn't allow me to get on a coaster. I'll be going to Cedar Point next week and might try something, but not the Millenium Force. I guess I'm not really into those "extreme" coasters. lol. Maybe the Corkscrew.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:33 pm

Raging Bull... Six Flags Great America Gurnee, IL (north of Chicago)

life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
nwa man

Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:58 pm

My favorite is "Judge Roy Scream" at Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. It's not the biggest, it's not the fastest, but it's a great long coaster ride and a hell of a lot of fun.

Same goes for the Excalibur, at Valleyfair here in MSP.

The Texas Giant is also a classic.

Create your own luck.

Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:55 pm

Six Flags Holland > Its Got the biggest roller coaster in Europe: (i think) The Golioth

Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:41 am

I enjoy going to HersheyPark. It is so much fun but I haven't been there in 5 years (nor to any other amusement park). I want to go to HersheyPark this year but work probably won't give me the time in which to do it in.
(I love all rollercoasters and have not ever had a bad experience on a roller coaster.)
Life is a Mine Field.

Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:03 pm

There is truly one roller coaster that will scare the permanent daylights out of you: X at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA.

Imagine steep drops, loops, and being rolled around all the time. This is probably the ultimate in metal coasters right now, no contest.

For scary drops, the first drop on Millenium Force at Cedar Point Park in Sandusky, OH is just breathtaking, to say the least.