Pendrilsaint
Topic Author

Best Univ. Of Canada And Beyond

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:22 am

I was just wondering for some of the non U.S. people here and most specifically canada...what are the best Universities in your country? The war will forever rage whether Harvard , Princeton , Yale or a list of others is best in the U.S. ...but canada? Queen's? U. Toronto? Waterloo? What about the UK...Oxford, London Economics, Cambridge? Just want some opinions!

Thanks in advance!=)

AC320

RE: Best Univ. Of Canada And Beyond

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:28 am

Best in Canada? McGill University is without a doubt.

http://www.mcgill.ca

Great school.
fuddle duddle

watewate

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:34 am

In Canada? U of Toronto is probably the best IMO. Just look at its faculty members, sheer variety of programs/courses, resources, tradition and reputation. And yes, I go to U of T. Big grin

Rai

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:44 am

I went to university in Canada. The best school depends on what your major is. For business, Rottmans (at the U of T) is a good school, especially at the MBA level, and is well recognized outside Canada. Queens also has a good business school, but I think it's overrated. For the undergrad, I think McGill in Montreal and York University in Toronto have the two best business programs. My sister will be attending York this coming year. Both programs are very competitive to get in to. McMaster University in Hamilton is pretty good too, but not as good as York or McGill.

As far as computer science and engineering go, the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Western in London, Ontario and Waterloo in Waterloo, Ontario probably have the best programs. UBC is especially good if you're into programming video games. Electronic Arts even offers a course there. I think it's generally acknowledged that Western is the best engineering school in Canada (and even ranks well compared to U.S. schools) and that Waterloo has the best mathematics program.

Overall, U of T is probably the best mostly because it is the biggest and has the most funding. But I don’t think it is the best in all the programs. However, I believe that UBC is the most difficult school to get into, but that statistic is quite deceptive and doesn’t necessarily mean that it is the best school.

Pendrilsaint
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:46 am

What about political science , international relations , and law..in canada that is.

watewate

Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:53 am

U of T law is probably the hardest to get into.

As for Int'l relations, Janice Stein is the star professor at the Munk Centre- enough said.

Rai

Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:02 am

I think U of T has the best political science program and probably the best international relations program, but that falls under general arts. Carleton University in Ottawa also has good political science/arts programs. Law? It would be Carleton, McGill or U of T.

But seriously, dude, unless you’re planning on doing a graduate degree or go into law, it would be absolute suicide to major in political science or any such arts program. I did my minor in poli sci and found it an absolute waste of time.

dripstick

Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:06 am

Insert caption here ____________
What's another word for thesaurus?

delta-flyer

Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:09 am

For Engineering, Science, Medicine -- it's McGill all the way! Not to mention a great campus location.

Pete
B.Eng.71
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:45 am

Pendrilsaint:

In terms of political science, Queen's University in Kingston, Ont. is quite popular among prospective grad students. For law, it would be the U. of T.

It's important to take several issues into account, not just prestige.

• Type of city you'd be moving to. Cost of living (and traveling home) varies considerably from city to city. Also, what kind of city fits your style? Large and cosmopolitan, or small and neighbourly?
  • Class sizes. Smaller classes offer more opportunities to get personal guidance from professors as well as to get to know your classmates. This can be useful for networking: the guy you're going for coffee with might be the Premier in 20 years -- especially in the smaller provinces where the networks aren't so vast.
  • Proximity to resources. One huge advantage big-city universities have is their proximity to other universities, plus public libraries, provincial and historic archives and other such treasure troves.
  • Universities' financial situations. Cash-strapped universities won't just have a problem with having up-to-date computers -- they'll often have the same problems with up-to-date library books, etc.

Pendrilsaint
Topic Author

Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:56 pm

It seems like Kingston would be a lovely town to have a college in..and if you wanted the big city you are kind of close to toronto , ottawa , and montreal right? I mean enough for a day trip.

watewate

Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:12 pm

Kingston's nice... if you don't mind seeing a super-max prison everytime you look out your dorm window.

Rai

Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:30 pm

Watewate (what does your nickname mean, BTW?), good answer. I think Kingston's kinda dull. It's closer to Montreal and Ottawa than Toronto. Really close to the Quebec border. I actually dissuaded my sister from going to Queens because I told her I would not visit if she lived in Kingston...it seemed to work.

Pendrilsaint
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:41 am

Canada has criminals!?!?! =P jk...is it like...across the street from the campus or something?? gees that really sucks

WorldVoyager

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:14 am

I went to meet the chair of political science at Carleton on Tuesday, and basically the impression that I got was a mixed bag. The problem with political science at Carleton is that it falls under the general B.A. category, and Carleton's general reputation is not that great (just go see the Maclean's university publication). This is despite the fact that Carleton is in the nation's capital, and is particularly strong in Canadian politics, international relations, and comparative government of Europe and Africa (but not Asia). Carleton is, however, renowned for its excellent journalism program, as well as humanities and public affairs.

For business, there is no doubt that the best undergraduate program is the HBA program at the Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario. Queen's Commerce program, as well as similar programs at McGill and UBC are also quite reputable.

For health science and medicine, McGill is probably the strongest. I heard somewhere that many McGill medicine graduates teach at Harvard, for example. McMaster's Bachelor of Health Sciences is also very renowned, and it is rumored that Harvard's own med program is based on its techniques. Programs at Queen's, U of T, and UBC are also well known. The University of Guelph is particularly known for agriculture science.

For engineering, Waterloo, McGill, UBC and U of T are among the top. I'm not so sure about the program at Queen's; I heard that they lost their certification recently for a brief period of time.

For computer science, Waterloo is probably on top. Simon Fraser University is also very well known in this field.

For arts, most reputable universities are basically the same. U of T, McGill, UBC, Queen's and Simon Fraser tend to be the top choices for arts students.

By the way, does anyone know how McGill compares for political science?

Rai

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:37 am

WorldVoyager: Because of your age, I think you have a much better grip of what's going on with Canadian universities than I! I graduated quite a few years ago, so I'm sure much of what I said has changed. Oh hell, back then, the University of Alberta was considered to be among to top in engineering!

I was talking to my sister last night and she confirmed to me that Western has the best business school. You're right. She's apparently choosing York because she liked the way they treated her -- much more individual attention. That may be important in the choice one makes.

As for McGill's political science program, I get the impression that it's quite good. I know a few people who graduated in that program and they generally liked it. However, they graduated a number of years ago, so things may have changed since then!

JAT

Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:03 am

Political Science sounds very interesting, but what can one do after they get the Ba? Other than study law...

watewate

Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:57 am

Most people taking PolySci at UofT are doing so in hopes of crossing over to IR or getting into law school.

As for undergrad business programs, I don't think it really matters where you go as long as you attend one of the top tier programs- Western, UBC, York, UofT, and Queens. IMO, university is more about networking and maturing rather than learning. Quality of education at most Canadian universities are quite superb overall; your choice of school should come down to what aspect of university life you value most.

WorldVoyager

Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:56 am

Rai,

Which university did you go to?

The big problem with Western's HBA program is that it's soooo bloody expensive! The tuition is almost $20 000 PER YEAR for the two years you spend in the program. That's quite steep when one realizes that all other Canadian programs in any field cost $5500 or so at the most.

Delta-flyer,

Are you American or Canadian? If you're American, and you don't mind me asking, what made you choose McGill for your degree over American schools?

JAT,

That is EXACTLY the problem that I am facing. Political science sounds really great, but if you want to make decent money, I can't think of anything you can do with a degree except go into law school. Does anyone know what kind of opportunities (if any) exist for political science graduates in the business sector?

watewate

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:06 pm

WorldVoyager,

I know a lot of poli-sci majors hope to secure jobs in the government working abroad. In the private sector, law seems to be a popular choice for those who choose the major.

Btw, not all programs are $5K in Canada. My tuition at UofT commerce this year is $7400.

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:30 pm

if you want to go to the best college in canada, you can't go wrong at Queens. Kingston is the most charming town, and the school is first rate.

queens by a mile.

Rai

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:40 pm

Worldvoyager: I went to the University of Alberta. DO NOT GO THERE! It totally sucks!! My dad teaches there and he even says it's brutal. I completely regret going to that school, especially when I had the chance to go to some much, much better schools.

Twaneedsnohelp says:
Kingston is the most charming town, and the school is first rate.
Dude, are you fucking kidding me? Have you even been there? Its so freaking boring! Everyone I know who went there (except for this one true geek) ended up transferring. Queens is ranked really high, but it's totally overrated. And this I get from my sister who turned them down and friends who went there.

I'd agree with watewate that U of T is overall the best school in Canada.

NBC News1

Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:42 pm

Overall, UofT is consistenly rated the best university in Canada by numerous different sources.

However, I would not be surprised if UBC became Canada's premier university, in the next few years.

Of the universities in Canada, I would say McGill and Queens are the most overrated while UBC is the most underrated.

I'm entering second year at UofT this September.

Marco

Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:12 am

McGill is always listed as one of the centers of excellence around the world. It`s been consistently ranked with the ivies of the USA (even Harvard). I`m either going to attend McGill or Boston Uni this fall, but IMO McGill outranks UofT anyday. `Besides I`d take Montreal over Toronto anyday!
Proud to be an Assyrian!

WorldVoyager

Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:23 pm

Watewate,

Wow, I'm surprised your tuition at U of T costs so much. I was basing my $5500 estimate on good ol' Maclean's Magazine, which shows U of T at $4775, with McGill and Queens in the same league (although I'm surprised to find that UBC only costs $2375!). I had no idea commerce at U of T costs more.

So far, the award for best Canadian university seems to be between McGill and U of T (the Montreal-Toronto rivalry back again!). In my opinion, these are the pros and cons of each:

McGill:

PROS: Excellent worldwide reputation (arguably even better than U of T), in the same league as many private US colleges; 20% international students; great city atmosphere; many excellent programs, much cheaper cost of living than Toronto.

CONS: Tons of bureaucracy; major funding problems; not enough residence; course capping and huge class sizes.

U of T:

PROS: Excellent reputation (although not yet as well known as McGill), rolling in the dough (huge endowment); great city atmosphere; lots of resources and variety of classes and programs; guaranteed 1st year residence.

CONS: City atmosphere of Toronto is arguably not up to par with Montreal; Toronto is very expensive, huge class sizes, impersonal.

Of the two next universities "in line", Queen's and UBC, I would say the choice is easy: who can say no to Vancouver? Big grin

watewate

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:36 pm

Actually, not all students pay as much as I do. If I'm right, only BCom, CompSci and CogSci students pay obscenely more than others due to the 'professional' nature of their studies- or so they say.
I'm surprised that UBC is as cheap as it is- I thought tuition in BC was deregulated.

United Airline

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:26 am

UBC, Queens, Mcgill, Simon Fraser, York, Waterloo (For Engineering), U of Western Ontario, U of T etc. They are among the best.....

Concordia, Carleton are not bad!

FlyboyOz

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:28 am

Hey there,

I would like to know which university is the best in Vancouver?

Thanks for your time!
FlyboyOz
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Rai

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:43 am

I would like to know which university is the best in Vancouver?

UBC...by far. Simon Fraser sucks. And it's not because my ex goes there...

NBC News1

Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:05 pm

To say that McGill is better known around the world than UofT is outrageous.

UofT is far better respected.

WateWate.....I am also going into commerce this year at UofT (second year)...maybe we can be FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Transactoid

Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:13 am

Anyone going to Western?  Smile

watewate

Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:37 pm

Wow, fellow UofT'er! I'll probably see you around campus. I'm guessing that you made the cut for second year? I know many students who didn't make the program in the second year and are at a loss to do what to study for the next three years.

JAT

Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:57 am

Watewate, I understand you are taking commerce? How is that program? Is it a lot of accounting and mathematics? What campus are you at?

I have to make my choice soon and I still haven't made up my mind.

I have it narrowed down to:

1. Political Science (and possibly law after, although I'm not concerned about that now)
2. Economics
3. Business/Commerece type program....

or

Seneca Professional Pilot program if I can get into it, and then after that is done a transfer to a University...

Ugh... I can't decided... Any opinions, comments, tips are helpful.

watewate

Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:15 pm

JAT,

Of the three streams you listed, commerce is probably your best bet to landing a decent job after. If you're applying this coming year, apply for commerce- if you don't like the program, you can always opt out and declare PoliSci or Eco as your major. Note that commerce program is tough to get into unless you are guaranteed out of high school; this will only get tougher starting this year as they're getting rid of conditional acceptances starting this year.

If you take commerce, you can choose from many streams. Three most popular streams are accounting, finance and marketing. If you dislike accouting, you don't have to take them at all after you've completed your 2 intro accounting courses (not that hard at all).

My advice? Choose commerce as your intended field of study. If you don't like it, it's only a click of a button away from switching to PoliSci or Eco. Note that it's almost impossible to switch into commerce after first year of studies.

FYI, I was accepted into Univ of Western's aviation management program (with scholarship Smile), but turned it down. If you want to log hours, do it on your own time.

JAT

Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:47 pm

That Western program looks good, and Westernd appealed to me most of all the Universities. The thing is, I don't want to live away from home, no one I know is going there. I just wouldn't feel comfortable starting fresh on so many levels. Although, I am torn between University or Seneca. I think taking my intro flight will help answer some of that.

Could you shed some light on the difference between the U of T campuses? Which one are you at?

watewate

Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:54 pm

St. George is where I'm at. It's also the main campus.
UTMississauga offers commerce, too. Atmosphere is not as competitive, IMO. Course selection is also limited, so be wary of that.
UTScarborough focuses on co-op programs. They have management co-op if you're interested in business.

JAT

Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:07 pm

St. George is that hardest to get into as well. Big grin If all else fails, there's always Ryerson Big grin

watewate

Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:47 pm

St. George isn't that hard to get into. However, your marks will dictate which college you'll get into at U of T. Generally speaking, Trinity has the highest average- you even have to write 2 essays just to be considered. Since you're commuting, your choice of college won't really affect your university life.

WorldVoyager

Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:32 am

Watewate,

How do you like the St. George campus in general? Is it an easy place to get adjusted to? And what do you think about those horror stories of enormous classes and little personal attention at U of T?

Thanks.

watewate

Sat Aug 03, 2002 12:41 pm

You're going to get huge classes in your first year of university if you go to any decent-sized school. Biggest classes are usually held at Convocation Hall, and you'll probably have a couple classes there in your first year.
However, there's are seminars open only for first year students that limit class sizes to 20 pupils. I took one in my first year and loved it. I worked closely with two professors for the whole year in the class. Btw, the class had only 18 students- not bad for first year course.  Smile

St. George isn't too hard to get around. It's a pain to skip through University Avenue for classes, but it's no big deal. As for impersonal nature of UofT, if you put efford into it, you'll meet like-minded people. UofT has a unique 'college' system that fosters sense of community.

JAL

Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:37 am

I heard from friends that Concordia University is pretty good.
Work Hard But Play Harder

AC320

Mon Aug 05, 2002 11:43 am

My dad graduated from Concordia, he urged me to apply to McGill instead saying that's the place to go, and from what i've heared/seen he's right. shame they didn't accept me
fuddle duddle

United Airline

Mon Aug 05, 2002 2:00 pm

Cambridge and Oxford are the most well known Universities in the UK.

Marcus

Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:17 am

After reading all the previous posts........what are the best Universities for MBA's in Canada?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

Wed Aug 07, 2002 2:30 am

Concordia offers an IATA Airline Management MBA.

Even so, my vote would still go to McGill!

Rai

Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:15 am

Concordia vs. McGill. My father is a university professor in Canada. He taught at both McGill and Concordia and got his BComm and MBA at McGill. I know people who go to both schools. McGill is the better of the two schools. However, it's reputation is not quite deserved. Excellent medical and law schools, BTW.

I just visited the McGill campus last week. In terms of a university experience and atmosphere, McGill is HANDS DOWN the best in Canada. The campus is so much more relaxed and laid back than any of the others, which are quite stuffy in comparison. I had my chance to go to McGill when I was younger and missed out. I regret it. After visiting the campus, I'd probably recommend going to McGill over any of the other schools on the university experience alone. There's just too much shit going on in that neighborhood, it's awesome!

Look, you guys will only experience college once. Grad school is a totally different ballgame than undergrad. Your undergrad years are supposed to be the best of your lives. Where you go for undergrad (providing that it isn't a really, really shitty school) doesn't matter all that much. If you want to have some fun and enjoy the university experience, McGill is the best place to do so in Canada.

JAT

Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:48 am

I was looking at some of the programs U of T offers. I think I'll end up doing economics or something like that. The commerce fields seem a bit too dry, too much accounting and so on. The Economics and Political Science combined program looks interesting. A question, when do we choose exactly what courses we take in first year? Is it at the end of grade 12 or at the begining of first year in the fall?

watewate

Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:21 pm

JAT,

You choose your first year courses in late July or August, just before the start of your school year.

U of T's massive size gives you an unique chance to major/minor in combinations otherwise not possible at smaller institutions. Eco and PoliSci is certainly an interesting option, but I still think that commerce program presents a better opportunity to network with others that will likely end up in your field upon graduation. FYI, you need not take accounting after completing your one credit (comprised of 2 half credit courses). One of the half year courses isn't too far from high school accounting, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

JAT

Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:15 am

Another good option as far as work experience is concerned is UofTs Management program at the Scarborough campus. It's academic studying as well as on the job training through various Co-Ops.
Another question Watewate, how many courses can one take in a year, in high school it's 8, does that change in University? The reason I am asking is because after looking at their website I get the impression that the first year requirements for a lot of the programs are 3 or 4 courses, so is it possible to take a bunch so that one could get a taste of each strand? Also, some overlap, such as an Economics course which is a requirement for both Economics and Commerce.

Thanks for your help Watewate.

watewate

Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:29 pm

JAT,
Most people do 5 credits per year (some 4.5 if they take it easy). All half-year courses count as .5 credit and all full-year courses count as 1 credit. All math and eco courses are full-credit courses AFAIK, so you won't be bombarded with too many different profs in your first year. In your first year, you'll probably have 5 or 6 different courses spread out over the year.

As for UT Scarborough management programme, I declined their offer. I'll leave it at that.

Just so you know, you can apply to both programme if you want. So play it safe and apply to UTS and St. George.