airmale

Hong Kong Most Expensive-Johannesburg Least

Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:48 am

Thats what has been determined according to a survey, Tokyo was most expernsive previously. Johannesburg should see a tourist boom.
.....up there with the best!

Alessandro

RE: Hong Kong Most Expensive-Johannesburg Least

Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:21 am

Crime rate scare away tourist from South Africa, especially Jo´burg is infamous for its high crime rate...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

acidradio
Crew

Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:38 am

See, that's why I choose a place like Johannesburg. No crime? No excitement!  Big grin
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:57 am

On the other hand, the Cape is fantastic ... having visited most countries of the world I can state with some authority that Stellenbosch and Franchoek are two of the most beautiful places in the world, bar none.  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Well worth a visit!!

asbg

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:40 am

Where can I see the full list?

Sam.

pacificjourney

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:52 am

The trouble with these surveys is that if you read the fine print they compare COL for ex-patriate executives. Their assumed style of life and expenses are a lot different than most peoples so they are not a good indication of the real costs in these cities.

I can assure that yes Tokyo is expensive but no way is it more than London or New York. One example, try getting a fair sized 2 bedroom apartment in NY for $1200, that is what a nice one costs in Tokyo.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Rai

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:59 am

I can assure that yes Tokyo is expensive but no way is it more than London or New York. One example, try getting a fair sized 2 bedroom apartment in NY for $1200, that is what a nice one costs in Tokyo.

Have you ever lived in New York? New York is not just Manhattan, you know? I can assure you that you can get a nice two bedroom apartment for that much or less here. It's not that expensive to live here.

I went to Hong Kong last year and was surprised with how expensive it was. Food especially. Rent was about the same as you'd pay in New York...maybe a bit more because some places pretty far from the Island were pretty expensive.

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:03 am

I suspect London will be somewhere high up in the list. Once u come to London, your wallets will empty faster than you've never seen. New York is a whole lot cheaper than LON, i bought a pair of reebok trainers from a footlocker store in Manhattan for $30!! that's cheap!
In Arsene we trust!!

pacificjourney

Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:00 am

For these surveys Rai I am afraid NYC IS Manhattan !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Rai

Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:39 am

For these surveys Rai I am afraid NYC IS Manhattan !

Exactly! My point is proven...

kaitakfan

Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:35 pm

I fully agree with Arsenal on his comments! Never before have I seen my money disappear so fast then a friday night out in London. $100 US dollars gone by midnight in the pub. $150 by 3AM. How could it have happend I continue to ask my self?!? As a 20 year old visiting Hong Kong, I say the place is very affordable for my price range. Transportation is cheap, meals never paid more then $8 USD, Drinks over in Lan Kwai Fong and all the other high pitched night scene is crazy! But thats why you buy your drinks at 7-11!!

Cheers!
Brian