David_itl
Topic Author

Manchester: An Apology

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:25 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the city of Manchester for failing to live up to expectations in terms of the weather.

I tried all manner of rain dances and recited various incantations to get the weather to live up to our reputation, but it took rather a long time for the desired results to take effect: at 12.48pm today, some 5 and a half days into the Games, I spotted the first drops of rain fall in Albert Square, which was followed by a mini-thunderstorm.

In comparison to what I've seen this year in Manchester, the rainfall that occurred was just a passing shower!

I do hope that the unnatural weather that occurred over the first 5 days has not led to any lessening of your enjoyment of the Commonwealth Games and hope that the remainder of the Games will have more of what has been alleged we are used to.

David/MAN

RE: Manchester: An Apology

Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:28 pm

No need for an apology mate. You should be lapping up the fact that there are so many Aussie champions in your fair city at this time  Wink/being sarcastic

viveAF

RE: Manchester: An Apology

Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:04 am

Of course, David, this might all be part of the master plan of the M2002 guys - to import some scorching weather for a few days so our guests can see the City in a good light, then unleash some real Manchistor Liquid Sunshine on them !

I was in Piccadilly Gardens when the mini-monsoon hit at lunchtime - and far from running for cover, the crowd stayed in place watching the swimming (!!!) on the big screens ! That`s Mankys fer yer !

Got to say the atmosphere in the city is tremendous, all the visitors enjoying themselves, lots of live entertainment around.... brilliant !

My best moment so far..... watching Giggs & Psycho bring the baton back into the city last Thursday - that was when you got the feeling that the Games were well and truly here...

Hope the rest of the spectacle is as good.... rain or shine !

Cheers