EGGD
Topic Author

Help On Designing+building A (a.net Size) Website

Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:52 am

Hi folks,

A couple of people on safari with myself suggested that I should start a website which would be an airliners.net-esque safari website. It would be similar in a way that you could upload your own photos that you'd taken on safari, along with sharing your stories, reviewing safari-tour operators, national parks, hotels etc, and of course a forum/message board type thing.

Heres the deal, I need to know how much its going to cost me to get a decent (not superfast like A.net) website up and running, that would be self-sufficient. I mean, I already have a basic server, a basic internet connection that can be upgraded to 1mpbs, etc. Also, I need to consider, a domain name, web design (that I'm thinking at the moment, my brother should do, as he designs websites already, check http://multiplay.co.uk ), advertising (very important) etc etc etc.

Johan, any help would be great! And anyone else with a similar website, or who knows of something like this. I have limited html/ computer hardware skills, although I have alot of time to learn and I will if I know I can pull this off.

I need info info info!! As much information as I can, thanks!

Dan.

SSTjumbo

RE: Help On Designing+building A (a.net Size) Website

Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:11 am

www.safaripictures.net isn't taken yet. I guess that's a start...
I don't know, so this is my signature.

747-451

Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:53 pm

Use a products other than Microsnot to create a sturdy server platform on which to base your site.

flyf15

Thu Aug 15, 2002 2:45 pm

Get as much money as you can, and find out where you can get more.  Big thumbs up

hawaiian717

Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:25 pm

Hosting a site on a 1 megabit connection should prove interesting. It will work for light traffic sites but if you get lots of users, it will saturate quickly. Also, consider your upstream speed. If you're on DSL usually upstream is slower than downstream, since most users don't have much upstream activity. But for a web server you'll want fast upstream.

It might be more cost-effective to use a paid web host, someone that already has servers setup and lots of bandwidth available.

Getting the site to be self-funding is very difficult.

David / HNL