mls515

Drinkin' Beers Beers Beers!

Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:44 pm

Help!

For some reason I am finding myself drinking all of these euro-beers and other beers instead of the good old American Budwieser and Miller. It all started with Heineken. When I was in Amsterdam last March with my brother we went to the brewery and then later that night we found a quiet bar (without a bunch of English and Scottish troublemakers) in the RLD where we could watch this entrepreneurial woman's business and her clientele and we drank Heineken after Heineken after Heineken.

Then I would get Heineken all the time and then I ended up develping a taste for Guinness (well after my visit to Ireland and the Guinness Brewery). Over my summer vacation I found myself drinking Dos Equis, Red Stripe, and Bass. Recently I found myself buying pitchers of Bass for myself at trivia night at a local bar. And crap, my second to last visit to the liqour store found me buying Czechvar lager in recognition of the flooding victims in the Czech Republic.

What's wrong with me? The thing I fear most is the situation with Fosters where the country of origin doesn't really like the beer it exports.

mls515

SophieMaltese

RE: Drinkin' Beers Beers Beers!

Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:55 pm

I don't think that's really a problem unless you just drink too much in general.

I know somebody who recently went to Amsterdam and she was able to charge marijuana on her American Express card!

IMissPiedmont

Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:04 pm

"good old American Budwieser.." That's a good one. Bud is second only to Coors light in the pits of the beer world. I feed hummingbirds less sugar than Buttwiper contains.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

mls515

Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:05 pm

Yea, the narcotics there even come in prepackaged containers complete with a UPC code. I tried it when I was there in '01 (my first and last time) but not on my most recent visit since I am a transit operator subject to random drug testing. That was a good story to tell the drug pushers too since they are pretty persuasive.

mls515

mls515

Sun Aug 18, 2002 2:07 pm

What do you drink IMissPiedmont?

[mls515 takes another sip of Czechvar]

gr325

Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:37 pm

Heineken? No you should drink Grolsch, The best beer in life. As the slogan says: "You've got beer, and you've got Grolsch"
 Big thumbs up
"You should have gone to specsavers"

Scorpio

Sun Aug 18, 2002 9:31 pm

Gr325,

You're kidding right? PLEASE tell me you're kidding!!! Grolsch is, is.. (let me find the right words so you don't feel insulted) B-A-D!!!!! I recently returned from Spain, and was forced to drink that crap. After two minutes it looks and tastes like a real beer (say, Jupiler, Stella Artois) that's been standing around for an hour: no foam, no gas, no taste. Oh and that Grolsch really makes your farts stink the morning after! Really disgusting!

dripstick

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:02 pm

The only two American beers I can stomach are Rolling Rock and Budweiser. Mind you the Bud that is Canadianized to 5% alc./vol.

I generally like strong malty beers. My favourite is one called Dave's Doppelgold 5% alc./vol. It comes pretty close to the bavarian style doppels of Europe.

As for Dutch beer, Heinee-kin is the best, followed by Amstel. I don't care for Grolsch. Nice bottle though! There is a beer that is popular in Holland that is from Belgium with a reddish label if I recall correctly (blurry memories). Anyone know what that is? Many Europeans drink their beer at room temperature or chilled just slightly. For me, I chill it in the summer and room temperature in the winter.

Our Canadian beers aren't bad. Sleemans Cream Ale is tasty.

Cheers, Dripstick

What's another word for thesaurus?

dripstick

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:04 pm

Actually Dave's is 5.9 alc./vol.

Scorpio

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:09 pm

Dripstick,

About the Belgian beer that's popular in Holland, could this be the one?

dripstick

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:19 pm

Nah...don't think so.

Got a picture of the bottle (inverted  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) ?

Looked like Amstel, almost.

GRZ-AIR

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:22 pm

I think Bud tastes like water. German and Austrian Beers together with Heineken are the Best. Recently I have also discovered Corona to be quite good.

Prost !
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

Scorpio

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:40 pm

Dripstick,

Palm's not the kind of beer you usually would drink from the bottle, so it's probably not that one...

Here's another candidate...

Could this be it?

dripstick

Sun Aug 18, 2002 10:42 pm

That looks like the culprit!

Thanks.

mls515

Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:06 am

Yea, I drank Stella too when I lived over in the UK for four months back in '01. It isn't available so much here in the States though.

STT757

Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:32 am

I was drinking those Stella Atois left and right last week in Montreal , they're everywhere over in Montreal. However I haven't seen them yet here in New Jersey, although Im still looking. I like those beers alot, I think I could find them in most Manhattan bars/restaraunts. When in Canada I was also drinking Labatt Blue, why do they call it "blue"?.

I also like Becks, I got a pretty good buzz off just two Becks last night at TGIF's.

Another beer I like is called Pacifico, it's a Mexican beer I get at most Mexican restaraunts. It has a yellow lable with the cliffs of Acapulco on it, much better than Corona.

Then there's Peroni, an Italian Beer. I bring it over my Girfriends house during the holidays because her Father is from Italy and enjoys pretty much anything Italian.

As for good ol' American beers, I like Miller lite, MGD, Sam Adams, some beer from Brooklyn that I can't remember the name of, and Pete's Wicked brews.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

BadischerGreif

Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:34 am

Look at http://www.biergier.de
-> Flash

or:
-> HTML
-> Werbung
-> Werbeplakate

Those special bottles were really produced. Feeling good in your Hand.

Prost!

Inbound

Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:11 am

is Carlsberg a good beer?

they are brewing and bottling it here now in Trinidad.
I've never had it, how does it compare to stella or heineken?
Maintain own separation with terrain!

gaut

Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:21 am

STT757,

I've been 3 times to Montreal and yes Stella-Artois is becoming more and more popular there. Why? Because Interbrew (a big Belgian brewery) bought Labatt.
It's portfolio combines international premium/specialty brands - Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe and Bass Ale - with the strong local brands which are at the heart of our operations, including Jupiler, OB Lager, Labatt Blue, Cass, Ozujsko, Klinskoye, Sibirskaya Korona, Chernigivski, Staropramen and Borsodi S?r.

Actually if you love beers, visit Belgium. We have the best beers in the world (more than 200 beers are brewed in Belgium!!)

My favorites is the Chimay (blue): One of the 6 trappist (brewed by monks) beer (9 alc./vol.).

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

Sabena332

Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:29 am

Why? Because Interbrew (a big Belgian brewery) bought Labatt.

They bought also Beck`s.

I like Stella Artois also but only when I am flying. I always drink that beer in the air, never on the ground. My favorite at the moment is Erdinger Weissbier, an excellent Wheat beer from Bavaria.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

gr325

Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:53 am

Scorpio, I am deelpy insulted  Wink/being sarcastic
No not really, personally I love groslch beer, but that is me. But on the other side I have to admit that your taste for beer is excellent too. Palm is one of the best foreign beers I have ever had in my life. I have worked in Dochamps on a campsite for a few months, and had the privelige to drink palm every day. Excellent  Big thumbs up
"You should have gone to specsavers"

An-225

Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:41 am

I love the taste of Guinness, Corona and Heineken. I also like Baltika, a Russian brand of beer. I don't think I like anything that's brewed in the USA. Bud tastes like water, and don't even get me started on Keystone light...
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

777236ER

Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:44 am

After suffering bollocks-weak Budweiser on tap in America, never again for American beer. The bottled Bud, at least here, is ok in a pinch. But for GOD'S sake the American's can't take their booze.
Your bone's got a little machine

737doctor

Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:53 am

My wife and I like to go to local microbreweries and try the sampler, in which you get four ounces or so of all their different beers before deciding on one.

As far as bottled beers are concerned, we like Guinness, Fat Tire (if you can get it fresh), Heineken, Sam Adams (who also make a good hefeweisen), Shiner Bock (also makes a good hefeweisen), Rolling Rock...the list goes on. I'm sure I'll think of more later.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

STT757

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:52 am

777236ER

" American's can't take their booze"

Thems drinking words pal, I accept. First one to puke or pass out losses.

STT757

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:54 am

When Im eating Sushi I like to drink either Sapporo or Kiran Ichiban, both good Japanese beers. Sapporo in particular tastes like it's from the tap.

dripstick

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:01 am

Sapporo in particular tastes like it's from the tap.

Tried it once. Couldn't finish it.

kaitakfan

Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:40 pm

Do yourself a favour and keep away from Fosters. That piss is disgusting! A shame Victoria Bitter, Crown Lager, or Carlton Cold is not shipped to the USA. You really are better off not to tangle with fosters!

Boeing4ever

Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:26 pm

What's the difference? If you drink a lot of bottles of either European or American beer, then decide to go for a drive, in the end, you're still an idiot.

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

AWspicious

Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:41 pm

BEER?! Now you're talking my ~hic~ my language!
I'm impressed by the number of guineas drinker in here. It's one of my
favorites, too. I'm not a big fan of the regular domestics brewed here in
Canada. (STT757; The reason why they call it Blue is because it rhymes with poo  Smile/happy/getting dizzy) However, the premium brands are good, in my opinion. Sleeman's and Upper Canada (same company since the buy out) are two of my top choices. Also, the premium/imports from some European and Asian countries are not too bad, either. Tsingtao from China is good.
Many of the micro-breweries make a darn good beer, too. I recall having a velvet porter made by Glatt Brothers who were in Guelph, Ont. I believe, but, are no longer around... or, so I'm told.
Carib from Trinidad is a really good beer, too. I probably go through half dozen in two or three days. Back in '95, Carib came out with their strong beer appropriately called Carib Strong. I'm told they no longer make it. However, it has to be the best beer I ever drank. I couldn't get enough of the stuff... and, that wasn't only because it was always sold out. I used to have a flight attendant friend bring me a few bottles whenever she did a POS-YYZ run. Pity it's not brewed anymore.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

ILOVEA340

Mon Aug 19, 2002 6:06 pm

When I drink beer its always a euro beer. My favorite (only the select few from Northwest Switzerland will knwo it) is Unser Bier brewed in Basel, Switzerland. I also like Paulaner. Lol I am talking about drinking beer and I am clearly to youg to be officially educated ion the topic of beer taste  Smile I would take a warm Fosters over a miller or bud any day.

Sabena332

Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:45 pm

Do yourself a favour and keep away from Fosters. That piss is disgusting!

I would recommend the same for the German Warsteiner. If you guys are flying with Lufthansa please order a Beck`s, otherwise you get served a Warsteiner, if you drink this you will change your opinion about German beer.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

godbless

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:42 pm

Well if you want the best od the best then you'll have to go for a German beer, but not any German beer...

Max

SQ325

Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:09 am

What is Wrong by drinking german Beer.
Mls515 german beer is the best in the World.
US beer is like water compared to our beer.

KRIC777

Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:22 am

I think that the remarks about American beer tasting like piss/water/pisswater (which I agree with wholeheartedly), can be fairly applied only to the mass-market, big-brewery products (e.g. Anhueser-Busch, Miller, Coors, etc) that cater to the casual (read: tasteless) beer drinker.

In fairness, there are hundreds of small and even micro-breweries here that are brewing some really good beers. Boston Beer Co.(Sam Adams) comes to mind (though they're not so micro anymore) they make some really tasty stuff. Also, Pete's, Red-Hook, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn....tons of 'em. Though it's too bad that we have to search a little harder and spend a little more on these products just to get brews that are comparable to mainstream, mass-market products in Europe.

My personal favorites come from the UK and Germany. Samuel Smith's India Ale and Oatmeal Stout and Spaten Optimator...mmmmmm!

dripstick

Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:10 am

Very profound...

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had
some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up
a large empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter.

He then asked the students if the jar was full? They agreed that it was. So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks.

He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was. The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

"Now," said the professor, "I want you to recognize that this is your life.
The rocks are the important things - your family, your partner, your health, your children - things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff. If you put the sand into the jar first, there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with
your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out
dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a
dinner party and fix the disposal. Take care of the rocks first - the
things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

But then... an engineering student then took the jar which the other students
and the professor agreed was full, and proceeded to pour in a glass of beer.
Of course the beer filled the remaining spaces within the jar making the jar truly full.

The moral of this tale is: no matter how full your life is, there is always
room for beer.

gkirk

Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:51 am

American beer is so crap because, if they drunk something 5% alcohol, the Yanks would be drunk  Laugh out loud
Anyway, Scottish troublemakers?!?!?! You must be mistaken, more like Scottish partygoers, English troublemakers sounds right though  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

srbmod

Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:34 am

I myself have been a fan of British, Irish, and Scottish brews. But lately, I've been drinking mostly Sam Adams, which is one of the few U.S. breweries that makes a decent brew. I like going to some of the brewpubs, because you know the beer is fresh and everyone's there for the beer. As for European beers, I've always been a fan of Bass, Newcastle (the good old dog!), Boddingtons and Guinness. Unfortunately, my favorite Brit beer is not available in my neck of the woods. I really love Tetley's English Ale, but they don't sell it in Georgia yet, which I why I used to non-rev to Boston so much, so I could procure some. At last count, I've tried somewhere between 175 to 200 beers over the last seven years. But if I had to choose favorites I'd go with these:

Stout: Guinness (barely edging out Dragon Stout and Murphy's)
IPA: Samuel Smith's
Ale: Sam Adams Boston Ale
American Lager: Sam Adams Boston Lager
Flavored beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
European lager: Stella Artois

If I had an average, everyday drinker, it would definitely be Sam Adams Boston Lager.

KAL_LM

Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:24 pm

Only problem with drinking euor beer beyond the typical fare (i.e. Heinekin, Beck's etc.) is availability and when you've got a ton of micro-brews around why even bother. Some of my favorites aren't even available outside the brewpubs. I used to really like Guiness but out of the tap over here it tastes like crap it seems to lose something in transit.

And yes, American beers (the mass-produced kind) are pretty much crap, but they are cheap. The best of the chep (IMHO...) is...drumroll please, Pabst Blue Ribbon. And I'll tell ya' why. $1.00 pints. Easy. Doesn't taste bad (mostly) and for $6 it doesn't matter anymore.

regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

srbmod

Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:22 am

Well part of my earlier post in this thread is now false. I finally am able to get Tetley's here in the ATL. I'm as happy as Bill Clinton with a new intern! I bought two 4 packs. I would have bought a case, but I didn't have that much cash on me last night.

NUAir

Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:05 pm

Sam Adams was all I used to drink in the States and I have yet to find a comparable beer in Europe...although some of the Amstel beers are very good.

Europeans can talk all the trash they want about American beers but the fact is they aren't even that American. Budweiser is a brewed from a German or Czech recipe, Miller is now South African and well Coors is Coors you shouldn't be drinking it in the first place. Most of the beer is drunk by college students who need cheap beer to get drunk its kind of a waste to spend $3 per bottle on stuff you cant even taste.

If you want the best beer fly to Boston, go to Dicks Last Resort (or any other quality Boston bars) and order a huge "Sammie" summer or winter ale (depending on when you go) and a large bucket of super spicy chicken wings with ranch sauce......you will then know the meaning of life!!!
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

EGGD

Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:13 pm

NUAir

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:25 pm

EGGD,

People on this site also gave Star Beer from Ghana 4 stars! Star beer tastes like watered down miller light in a standard St. Ides bottle.

Tusker is good but it doesnt deserve 5 stars!
"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

srbmod

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:52 am

Star is friggin' nasty! I tried it a few years back, and it sucked! The only reason why I got it was that my date liked stars and wanted the label, so we split a bottle. If you're going to go to Boston, forget going to one of the bars first, go to the Sam Adams Brewery over on Germania Street, a few blocks from the Orange Line. A great brewery tour, and all for the price of $2. And plus you get a neat glass to drink some samples from that you get to keep. After the tour, then do your bar crawl.

NJTurnpike

Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:30 am

My fridge only contains Sam Adams, Bass, John Courage and Guinness.

Makes it difficult to know where to put the cheese, bacon, milk and orange juice...

Marcus

Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:29 am

Corona is from Mazatlan not Acapulco......indeed that is a good beer to drink, but just like Corona it has to be very cold to be good.....while in Mexico you should try the following beers, I haven't seen them outside of the country.....

Indio: Dark and mild in flavor.....this is the kind of beer that sneaks up on you.
Montejo: Sort of like Corona and Pacifico but better tasting.
Leon: Dark beer
Casta: Microbrewery from Monterrey.........very european like beers (only types)
Tijuana: Hmmmmmmm interesting, microbrewery that opened up about two years ago, you can only find it in Baja California and the master brewer is from the Czech Republic.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown