B-707
Topic Author

Cyprus

Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:42 am

Any Cypriots on the forum?

I'm going to Cyprus in Sept. Will only be on the island for 12 hours, then it is back to UK. I'm wondering if anybody knows what the situation is on getting from Larnaca to Paphos by taxi. I need to be back in Larnaca by 2pm. I arriive in Larnaca at 3 am.

Anybody know what the charges are from Larnaca to Paphos? I do know they're set by the government, but I'm not sure on the price. Any tips etc.

Also, What's Larnaca airport like? I'll have a few hours to kill on my return. Any tips?

Not sure if this is in the correct forum. Apologies if it isn't.

777236ER

RE: Cyprus

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:05 am

Both airports are pretty tiny. Larnaca is bigger, but Pafos Airport is a bit of a dump. As I remember, security there is absolutly awful. Larnaca is a nicer city than Pafos -- Pafos is a bit too touristy.
Your bone's got a little machine

B-707
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:42 am

Thanks, 777236ER.

I wanted to fly directly to Paphos, but BA scrapped their flights and Cyprus Airways were asking an ASTRONOMICAL amount for their flight.

I have been told it takes one and a half hours by taxi from Larnaca Airport to Paphos. I hope it is not too expensive. I'm sure though whatever it costs, it has to be cheaper than anything Cyprus Airways were offering.

777236ER

Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:58 am

I don't think BA ever flew to Pafos, did it? It's not too far from Larnaca to Pafos -- there's a motorway all the way and you get to go through a cool new tunnel. The taxi won't be that expensive.

B-707
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:55 am

BA's website said "BA no longer serves Paphos". I assumed they once did, but maybe you're right. Cyprus Airways quoted me nearly £700 to Larnaca!!!! Luckily BA were more reasonable at £350. I don't know how CY are still in business.

Thanks for the info on the taxi. I was thinking about hiring a car, but arriving at 3am and then driving through the night doesn't exactly appeal to me. (I'm not that great a driver in daylight)

Thankyou 777236ER for your help. I'm grateful.  Smile

777236ER

Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:02 am

You might have a bit of a problem finding at taxi at 3am at Larnaca. It's not the biggest of airports, but you would probably find one somewhere -- just not as quickly as some other places. If you want to hire a car, go for it. The roads are well sign posted, a lot quieter than in England AND they drive on the same side of the road as us. Hiring a car for one day won't be that expensive and the route from Larnaca to Pafos takes about an hour and a half and is all motorway.

I don't think BA ever served Pafos (someone can correct me). I thought they always went to Larnaca, and used it as a stop on the Heathrow-Tehran route.