Barcode
Topic Author

List Your Controversial Beliefs Here ...

Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:44 am

Well, I'm sure some of us hold opinions that may be deemed non pc/incorrect ... even staunch liberal types like myself. What are yours ?

I'd say the following:

1) I believe that orthodox religion is the best form of social control there is - it keeps people from questioning and progressing as a society.

2) I believe that some minorities need to stop throwing around words like " racism " because they didn't get that job, that promotion or whatever. Few people are racist nowadays, and the simple explanation ( ie: said individual was simply underqualified ) is usually the correct one. I've experienced setbacks, but I don't think blaming the rest of the world is an acceptable answer.

3) That slave reparations are silly. By this reasoning I should also claim compensation since gay people in WW2 were exterminated under Hitler's regime, or compensation for the fact gays have been marginalized and I am therefore entitled to government pay outs. I don't buy it.

4) That America needs to spend more on education and less on fast food. How can you spend over $120 billion on fast food in a year and less on the nations education ? It baffles me. Saying that, I think standards need to be raised *everywhere* and not just America.

5) That immigrants need to come in through the proper LEGAL channels. There is only so much SPACE here, and most of them travel through several safe countries before reaching Britain. It shouldn't be easy for anyone to turn up, receive housing, food stamps and a weekly allowance from the government. At the moment, it seems we are taking in people at the expense of our own. I can't support it unless there is a very real and just cause for coming to Britain, and " I don't like it back home " is not good enough.

6) Extremely overweight people should take some personal responsibility. If I see you chowing down on a Big Mac and then wondering why you're 200 pounds, you'd better not get upset by my response. It's only a very small percentage that have genuine medical problems - and a lack of self discipline doesn't count. If I have to discipline myself with regards to what I can spend each month, or the things I can do - then others can do so with their weight.

I think that's it :-], Oh and let's try and keep the flame throwing *out* of here ... I simply want to hear your opinions ... don't worry about offending *too* many people - just deploy some common sense with how you phrase things :-]

EGGD

RE: List Your Controversial Beliefs Here ...

Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:48 am

1)Barcode is actually more than one person.

777236ER

Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:55 am

Sorry to disapoint you. I know you wanted to see that particular bit of action. More controversial beliefs? Hmmmm I can't support it unless there is a very real and just cause for coming to Britain, and " I don't like it back home " is not good enough.

Well where's the line? "I dont like it back home", "I dont have a job back home", "I would be arrested back home", "I would be arrested back home for a controversial belief I have" "I would be arrested and my family would suffer as I'm the bread-winner of the house hold" etc etc. Tell me which of these you would throw out.
Your bone's got a little machine

Beefmoney

Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:59 am

I also am getting irritated with all of the "your racist because said somthing that I could possibly interpret as anti african-american" type stuff. I was reading about a white guy that said "shes black and not "shes African-American" and she tried to sue him for saying "black". Then I turn on Comedy Central or BET and I watch at least a dozen black stand up comics who came on and every single one of there jokes were "White people are stupid because..." or "Whats the deal with white people?"

Its a two way street people, If im not allowed to say anything even REMOTELY close to being semi-racist, then you cannot run around saying "Whats the deal with white people? They are so retarded because of the way they dance and eat and talk....."

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:01 am

" I don't have a job back home " - well let me deport you back and you can get a job.

" I would be arrested back home for a controversial belief I have " - well, that has to be taken in context. Would their belief be deemed acceptable here as well ? Clearly, I would want to help someone oppressed in their own country - I just can't fathom why Britain is the *only* place someone can go to. There are many other countries in the EU that are just as safe ( and have an arguably better standard of living than Britain ) - so why not go there ?

As long as it's done through the appropriate legal channels then I don't take issue with it - it's when people hitch a ride on the Eurostar, or turn up on a boat expecting things that gets me ... if your case is genuine, there are ways in ....

david b.

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:03 am

Got Beefmoney, dont say semi-racist things, those things only pull you down to the level of those racists. There are many things on TV, radio that are racist. JUst change to another channel or stop watching. Thats what I do and im happy with it.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

clipperhawaii

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:16 am

My controversial belief is...Most of you that post on this site are on some sort of anti-depressant medication and one day you will all just *SNAP*!

Here's hoping that 'ol Clipper is nowhere near you!

CH

"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Barcode
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:51 am

Oh dear god. An e mail from another user just prompted me to realise how my religion comment can be construed. I am *not* religious - I'm a hardened atheist. Take it to mean " I think religion is a form of social control and therefore I couldn't care less for those who are deluded enough to worship an existential being for which no tangible evidence exists. "

I'm *not* espousing that we should all go around reading The Bible and living in the stone age. Goodness .... just thought I would clear that up.

Beefmoney

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:52 am

Dont worry David B. I change the channel as soon as I can. But I try never to say any racist and semi-racist things unless I absolutely have to, because I dont feel like getting sued. Smile

LufthansaUSA

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:55 am

Drugs should be legalised. Everybody knows what happened with prohibition in the USA, why are drugs any different? Anyway, we can use the tax money spent on anti-drug wars on "Don't take a hit and drive" billboards, and we'll have fewer over-crowded jails. No, I don't do drugs, and I never have

jessman

Sun Sep 01, 2002 8:57 am

1.)I believe that God exists.

2.)I believe that the existence of the state of Israel is fulfillment of Biblical prophesy, and is evidence that God is still in control.

3.)I believe the Jews have a God-given right to the land of Israel.

4.)I believe the Jews are God's chosen people.

5.)I believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, another fulfillment of Biblical prophesy, God incarnate, the "son" of God, risen from the dead, and able to forgive the sins of the world.

6.)I believe people are inherently selfish, and evil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was contemplating a life without God I came up with a few beliefs that I do not necessarily agree with not that God is in my life. Here they are.

7.)No law set up by humans is worth being followed by the atheist or heathen because no human is inherently better than another.

8.)No earthly threat is sufficient to keep a being from doing what they want to do. All human incarceration facilities are finite, and can be escaped. Even when confined one's mind is free. And death comes to us all, just as good to die doing what you want than slipping in the shower and busting your head open.

9.)Humans should be able to go anywhere on the globe that they want, hold a job, and buy property anywhere they wish. Boundaries only appear in the mind of man.

10.) Government should be a thing of the past because every person is an individual, and nothing is really wrong apart from God, so why have so many laws?

toady

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:16 am

I believe Jessman has some interesting beliefs.

jessman

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:21 am

On a lighter note I believe that I am the only sane person, and everyone else is insane  Smile

toady

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:23 am

I believe you're mistaken; I'm sane too.

roguetrader

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:40 am

My controversial belief is that the conventional wisdom as to AIDS is incorrect. Specifically, its doctrine that AIDS is caused by HIV is wrong or at best only somewhat correct. IMO HIV simply co-exists with AIDS in many circumstances. Factually, AIDS appears in cases where HIV is not present and many people never develop AIDS who have HIV. If AIDS were so easily spread by heterosexual non-drug users as the politically correct/pharmaceutical company --- influenced AIDS czars would have us believe, AIDS would be an epidemic in America and Europe, when in fact it is a relatively 'minor' killer in terms of numbers. AIDS remains today what it has always been - a disease of homosexual men and/or drug users.

My mentors in this belief are Kary Mullis, 1993 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, and Professor Duesberg at Cal-Berkeley.

http://www.VirusMyth.net
http://www.duesberg.com/
http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/perthgroup/index.html
http://www.rethinkingaids.com/
http://pages.prodigy.net/johnhunter2/hivaids.htm

kind regards,

RogueTrader

Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:15 am

Everyone has to believe in something.

I believe I'll take a nap.

Jetguy

david b.

Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:15 am

Dont worry David B. I change the channel as soon as I can. But I try never to say any racist and semi-racist things unless I absolutely have to, because I dont feel like getting sued

Soooooooo if it wasnt for the fear of getting sued then you would say them? Is that what your telling me?

jessman

Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:42 am

David B.; Stop busting on beefmoney. He has made a valid point that there exists a double standard concerning racism. Blacks are allowed to hate whitey, the honkey who's putting them down; but whites have to lift the black man up through affirmative action, and pay them because of slavery. Black people are allowed to have a separate but equal miss black america, and the black family reunion, and the united negro college fund, society of Black engineers. It would be frowned upon for whites to have these types of institutions, and a white person who tried to establish such things would most likely be sued. Beefmoney noticed that, not that he would say anything racist anyway.

You know what, though. I don't care. White, black, asian, yellow, mixed, they are all people and God loves them all. I don't care if I am judged because of the color of my skin because I know God loves me. I don't judge people because of the color of their skin because I know God loves them too.

david b.

Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:45 am

Hey I dont have beef  Big thumbs up

flyingbronco05

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:21 am

....Black people think alot of things are racist.

-when tamyra got kicked off american idol, jesse jackson held a press conference because he thought the votes were altered to get rid of the black girl.

....black people pick out names by pulling letters out of the scrabble bag one at a time and there you have it, there name.

....fat people should pay for 2 seats on an airline flight.

....mini vans should be illegal. Big grin
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

EGGD

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:51 am

"I think religion is a form of social control and therefore I couldn't care less for those who are deluded enough to worship an existential being for which no tangible evidence exists. "

I couldn't have put the first words better, but something about the last sentance confuses me. I believe, logically that religion IS social control, that is until someone doesn't agree with the rules, and creates there own set of rules (which in time, will become a religion, but there isn't much chance with TV and the internet now). Could you care? I mean.. Do you not care about people who worship an un-worshipped being? Do you not care that they are blinded by faith.. or what? hmm.

Yeah.

If I had a better vocabulary I coulda put that so it made sense (note to self: read more books).

Beefmoney

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:22 am

Thanks for sticking up for me there Jessman. And Im glad you dont have any beef David B. Smile

I also agree on most everything Jessman said in his 1st post. But I had to get that first thing off my chest first Smile

lehpron

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:51 am

You guys have to remember that when you say "I believe..." in something/someone then only you believe it and, furthermore, it is also un-believable, that is, it is a belief and not absolute with everyone or everything.

Example: if one person say, "I believe in God" someone else can say, "I do not believe in God"; both are correct. That does not mean that there is or is not a God. That is how beliefs are, the sway, they are never permanent, or absolute.

And just because I am in the mood:

Main Entry: be·lief
Pronunciation: bii-'lEf
Function: noun
*Etymology: Middle English beleave, probably alteration of Old English gelEafa, from ge-, associative prefix + lEafa; akin to Old English lyfan
Date: 12th century
1 : a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
2 : something believed; especially : a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence
synonyms BELIEF, FAITH, CREDENCE, CREDIT mean assent to the truth of something offered for acceptance. BELIEF may or may not imply certitude in the believer [my belief that I had caught all the errors]. FAITH almost always implies certitude even where there is no evidence or proof [an unshakable faith in God]. CREDENCE suggests intellectual assent without implying anything about grounds for assent [a theory now given credence by scientists]. CREDIT may imply assent on grounds other than direct proof [gave full credit to the statement of a reputable witness]. synonym see in addition OPINION
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Skyway1

Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:29 am

I believe Lephron needs a life  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Regards,
Chris  Smile
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

SESGDL

Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:41 am

I belief Jessman needs to stop talking about GOD so much!!!!!

Jeremy

IMissPiedmont

Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:49 am

Barcode, you are going to make me cry with the following,
"If I see you chowing down on a Big Mac and then wondering why you're 200 pounds, you'd better not get upset by my response."

As I am skinny at less than 210, I am offended. I look like a stick at the weights in all the charts that you may see that say I should weigh 180-190, Yea right.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

BTW, 210 is what I weigh. At 6'1 1/2" I doubt that is excessive.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:25 pm

my controversial belief: Israel should survive.  Big thumbs up

Barcode
Topic Author

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:43 pm

Well, if you don't LOOK fat then there's no problem is there ... I'm talking about when people are obviously busting out of the seams beyond the " pleasantly plump " stage ... *that* to me represents a problem that needs to be addressed.

In your case, I'd probably encourage you to eat a lil more ;-]

Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:42 pm

My controversial belief:

I like to play golf, but I think golfers are really annoying, so I hesitate to call myself a golfer.

'Speed

We're Nuts

Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:57 pm

a God-given right

That is a scary belief.
Dear moderators: No.

cfalk

Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:59 pm

Interesting topic...

I believe:

1) That God exists, but that He has gone on to other things, and we are basically on our own during our lifetimes.

2) That we should stop sending food and medicines to countries which are screwed up because of their own stupidity. This includes most of the African continent. Sending food and medicine to these places only makes them produce more children, and make a bigger crisis 10 years down the road.

3) I do not believe that all people are equal. Some are more intelligent, more motivated, or simply have their brains wired differently. This is why communism never worked and will never work. That does not mean that all cannot be equal to the eyes of the law (they should), but law and reality are two different things.

4) I believe that the legal profession should be eliminated. Here is why. It is a basic point of common law that ignorance of the law does not constitute a defense for having broken the law. In other words, citizens have a legal duty to know all the laws which pertain to him. Today, this is obviously impossible, with the sheer volumes of laws which are passed every day. Notice how we need lawyers all the time to guide us. Corporate lawyers at the office, tax lawyers and other types of lawyers at home, criminal and civil trial lawyers in case you get into trouble, all have the job of explaining what the law is to you, to a judge or a jury, and how it can be interpreted. But who writes the laws? Anyone notice the percentage of government elected officials are lawyers by training? It's huge, compared to other walks of life. To me this is a conflict of interest. The lawyers are making the law complicated so as to ensure their brethren lots of work and lots of fees. I say get rid of all the lawyers, and reduce the laws of the land so that it can be completely covered in, say 20 pages - the type of document that everyone with 3rd grade reading skills can understand and fulfill his legal duties of knowing the law.

5) And finally, I believe that the standard greeting between a man and woman when meeting on the street, in the office, wherever, should be a blowjob.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ryanb741

Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:08 pm

My controversial belief that I am fed up about the number of women who dress up like hookers and then complain when they get raped. I am not advocating rape for one minute but if I was to go around a bad area of town showing off my gold cards etc then I would expect trouble, and the same applies in this situation. If you don't want to be regarded like a piece of meat, don't dress up as one.....
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

4holer

Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:09 am

So you want controversial, eh?
Well, since it's been pointed out to me on the "Who would you like to sit between" thread that anything I would do with the Olsen Twins would be illegal (very illegal.). I seriously don't have "a thing" for young girls, especially the annoying Olsen Twins (it was just a joke, folks, so don't call me a pervert), but the thought occurs to me that since girls seem to be maturing so much earlier, that maybe some laws in that area could be relaxed. (?) Just a thought.

I believe that the vast majority of UFO sightings are BS. Hoaxes, explainable things, etc. Conversely, a very small minority are therefore genuine 'visitors' form another place or time.

I believe that the US needs to stop the border traffic with Mexico, both by politically applying pressure to Mexico, and more aggressive patrols and better physical barriers.

I believe, to reduce the lawyer problem, a constitutional amendment be enacted in which every citizen is assumed to have some common sense, and take responsibility for themselves. Too broad? Maybe. In any case, the industry of lawsuits, red tape, and general lawyer BS needs to be reigned in.

I believe the slavery reparations issue is like a cancer that will, if successful, kill any chances of African Americans being taken seriously for generations to come and belittle the genuine successes of African Americans. I also believe that the term "African-American" is silly. I've seen British women of color described as "African American". Honestly, is "Black" that bad?

I believe that there are few things that can be as obnoxious as SOME "Born Again" Christians. Sorry, but to put that fish on your car, the ads, vehicles, and building of your business, your socks, painted on rocks on nature trails...c'mon, that's obnoxious!

I believe fake boobs look hideous.

I believe that within 25 years, all of this EU vs. US distrust and accusations will get ugly. Spectacularly and tragically ugly. Too many younger Europeans will settle for nothing less than real war with those arrogant Americans. The only thing that could possibly prevent this would be if the EU and US were drawn together by a war against militant Islamics.

Jim
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

lehpron

Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:10 am

"I believe that this nation [USA] should commit itself..." - John F Kennedy.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

lehpron

Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:47 am

I believe that ex-A.net member "Hairyass" was a:

Main Entry: myth
Pronunciation: 'mith
Function: noun
*Etymology: Greek mythos
Date: 1830
1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : PARABLE, ALLEGORY
2 a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society b : an unfounded or false notion
3 : a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
4 : the whole body of myths

GD727

Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:19 am

You want controversial?

1. I think that political correctness is a heap of sh*t.

How's that for controversy?

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

heavymetal

Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:13 am

1. I think a growing population of benign gay people are nature's counter-balancing weight to overpopulation and rising human aggression that when teamed with technology is radically outpacing our ability to reason as a species.

2. I believe diversity is required for evolution. That said, I believe the term "racist" has been ground into the dirt by self-important demogogues.

3. I very much believe in a "right-wing" conspiracy. Maybe not Hillary Clinton's vision, but I've worked in media long enough to know that "values", "tradition", "patriotism" and "liberty" are all very clever marketing banners behind which very conservative fanatics crave( and get) great fortune and power at the expense of my country. Don't believe me? Then why do conservative "Christian" groups own more tv transmitters in America then anyone else?

4. I believe the United States, with or without the support of its' Allies, should terminate Saddam Hussein's command. With extreme prejudice.

5. I believe 1st offender car thieves should serve a minimum 20 years.

6. I don't believe in the death penalty. That said, if we're gonna have it, I think it should involve the ocean. At night. With blood in the water.

7. I believe the SR-71 Blackbird was a direct result of non-terran technology.

8. I believe a nuclear "event" will happen in my lifetime.

9. I believe a large percentage of Christian churches in America would make Jesus want to puke.

10. I believe...I've stirred enough sh*t for one night.  Wink/being sarcastic

us330

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:26 pm

I believe that the US Government assasinated, or played a major role, in the assasination of JFK.
I believe that missionairies, even though they do some good community service, are overall just a bunch of scumbags no better than lawyers.
Being Politically Incorrect and proud of it is better than being politically correct and feeling shamed.
That Dubya is a hypocrite as well as a total moron, and if elected to another term, will bring this country to its knees. That said, I agree with Bill Maher when he said "If I knew a war would raise Bush's IQ by twenty points, I would have started it myself"
That most forms of organized religion is a bunch of holy sh*t.
That only .1% of the entire Hip-hop/rap community would be making money if they were white.
Aliens have made contact with us, but the government chooses to cover it up.
That 9/11 has now, just like everything else in this country, been overhyped and overdramatized. I am not apathetic and I truly feel for those families who lost loved ones, but I am just sick of hearing it in the news and pop culture.
That we live in a more "1984" society than most people realize.
Nowadays, free speech doesn't exist anymore.
99.9% of all lawsuits are a joke and should be thrown out.
Along those lines, people who do file frivolous lawsuits should be imprisoned and/or fined the amount of tax dollars he or she used up in the process.
That Congress and the US Government on the whole is corrupt and that many technological and eco-friendly advances have been halted because of these dealings.
That the war in Afghanistan now is just a "Wag the Dog" scheme.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:46 pm

Hi Barcode. I was teasing you a bit. I was not really offended.

Steve
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Beefmoney

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:56 pm

Funny you say that (#9) Heavymetal. Jesus says in the Bible that some of the people and churches were/are making him want to vomit. So you are correct in your statement Smile

jessman

Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:27 pm

I believe the sight of baby peas makes me want to vomit  Smile

We're Nuts

Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:36 pm

Quite the conspiracy theory buff, eh Us330?  Big grin
Dear moderators: No.

heavymetal

Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:57 pm

That Congress and the US Government on the whole is corrupt and that many technological and eco-friendly advances have been halted because of these dealings.

No argument there. The people who want all of America to look (and smell) like Houston are in charge.

maiznblu_757

Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:09 pm

I didnt know it was controversial until I posted it on here... A lot of folks jumped down my throat... I believe KTVC WILL see NW A320's... They said "no, never".

heavymetal

Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:34 pm

I'd back up Maiz on that.

Remember, 2/3rds of the "baby boom" hasn't even retired yet. And more and more, northeast and midwest retirees are saying to hell with the hassle of florida, staying put in some livable little burg an easy drive (or flight) from their kin. TVC is all about that. Plus, once a REAL US31 bypass is built, you'll see bonafide suburbs, subdivisions and villages with room for another 50,000 easy.

It's coming. Im not sure Im all that thrilled with the idea of my hometown 'growing up' so fast...but its coming.

Now...757s! THAT...would rock!

seb146

Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:39 pm

I believe people should stop blaming others for their own demise.
If someone eats at only fast food places all their life, smokes, and never exercises, why is everyone else to blame when they die? Take responsibility for your own actions!
I also believe that crop circles are made by something not of this planet.
I also believe that we all have past lives.
I also believe that Joe Satriani is the greatest guitar player EVER!
Life in the wall is a drag.

BNE

Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:32 pm

Some may have been covered but here goes.

1. African and third world countries should look after themselves, why do they need the west to help them in times of drought and wars.

2. People should be responsible for their own actions and not blame someone else when something goes wrong, like on TV tonight someone is upset that they get ripped off and then complain to the current affairs shows, give me a break.

3.a Maybe not in all parts of the world, we have this thing called a minimum wage, where you have to pay people a certain wage whether they are any good or not. People should be paid what they are worth, so if they are dumb and stupid they should get paid less than an agreed minimum wage.
3.b Unions have helped workers get better pay and have set a minimum working age but is their usefulness now decreased to where they are really not needed.

4. Parents who blame teachers and society because their kids are screwed up through lack of discipline or care.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

Dasa

Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:49 pm

People are idiots.

us330

Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:43 am

Hey, better to be open-minded and sometimes wrong, then close-minded and always right!

More of mine:
Pickles should be exterminated from the Earth.
Other than tuna, no other fish or seafood has any taste or redeeming qualities about them for human consumption.

airways1

Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:13 am

I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words, but here goes...

I think deliberate misinformation should be outlawed. Anyone making any claims publically should be able to back them up. Thus all religious teachings should be banned, unless anyone can prove the validity of what they are saying. Therefore public religious services should also be stopped. Religions only serve to exploit the gullible and be exploited by the powerful.

The age of consent of sexual intercourse should be lowered to something like 12, as it is in Holland. These laws are supposed to protect the vulnerable, but I think very few people of that age and older could be considered innocent and vulnerable these days. With all the sex-related material accesible on the internet and in general, most kids know exactly what is going on by the time they are teenagers. Having said this, I think there should be more education aimed at sex-related health issues and contraception.

I think people who are victims of crime should have much more freedom to defend themselves, and not have to worry about landing in trouble for use of 'excessive force'. For example, I think if someone is subject to an attempted mugging, and they kill the perpetrator in self defence, then it should just be hard luck to the perpetrator.

I think people in general should be held much more responsible for self-inflicted damage, especially if caused through stupidity. If you buy an iron or a toaster these days, there are always big warnings saying something along the lines of "Warning: This appliance becomes hot during operation". Well I think if you burn yourself on an iron it is your own fault.

So many parents these days are very irresponsible when it comes to raising their children. I think all people who wish to have children should have to apply for a license and prove that they are responsible enough to be parents. Some people would say it is every person's right to have children, but I think it should be every child's right to have a decent set of parents.

I think inheritance should be outlawed. Why should anyone benefit not through their own achievements, but just because they were lucky enough to be born to rich parents? I think when people die, all (or at least the vast majority) should go to the state.

I don't agree with the private ownership of land. I think all land and property should belong to the state. When someone wants to buy a house, they should pay a price set by the state to the state. They can then live there for as long as they liked, as if they owned the place, but they can only sell it back to the state at the price that they paid for it.

I'm sure I have more controversial beliefs but I can't think of them at the moment, so that's it for now.