Reluctant Leaders Better Than Ambitious Ones?

Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:45 am

Here's something to think about:

Leadership positions should be given to those who are reluctant to take them than to those who spend years trying to get to the top, because the reluctant ones are more likely to 'look before leaping' and less likely to let their ego blind their judgement.

Agree or disagree?

kolobokman

RE: Reluctant Leaders Better Than Ambitious Ones?

Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:48 am

Is that from Utopias Constitution?
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

sccutler

Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:34 pm

If the reluctance is to accept the post...

...not to execute its duties, once accepted;

then yes, I'd agree. Career politicians, ever grasping to seek and maintain the seat of power, are not typically good public servants.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

heavymetal

Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:51 pm

Career politicians, ever grasping to seek and maintain the seat of power, are not typically good public servants.

Since you have , of late, been quite kind to my opinions, i shall return the favor, cutler, and say that I respectfully(and in all honestly only partially) disagree.

Careeer politicians have learned one thing that escapes most of us.....and that is the art of compromise. we obviously all think we're right on everything(I know I do).But career politicians have mastered the art of pleasing most of the people some of the time. It quite often makes them look spineless, weak and shallow ...... but what is the alternative?

Career politicians live in the lukewarm goo that most of our opinions never saunter into....yet, like the primordal ooze of a pond or marsh, is neccessary for the life of a balanced democracy. I don't say forgive ALL their sins, but rather, understand their weighty task.