FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

Breaking A Firewall

Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:09 am

My university, like others, has blocked access to kazaa. How would I go about breaking this firewall? I'm new to this area of computing so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

FlyVirgin744
Topic Author

RE: Breaking A Firewall

Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:24 am

BTW, I won't actually break it, If caught I'd be in some deep doodoo. I still want to know how it is done though.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Illini_152

Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:27 am

I'm not sure how Kazaa works in regards to servers, but the most effective way to get around such a restriction is with what is known as a proxy server.

There are several ways to block access to internet services. The most common is for the administrator to block access the IP address or even IP block. For example, if Kazaa's central server was located at 192.168.92.5 your school could block all access to either that address, or even on that IP block (192.168.92.1 to 192.168.92.255).

The way around this is to find what is known as a proxy server. Instead of connecting directly to the Kazaa server, you connect to a different server that someone outside of your university's domain has set up for that purpose, it then acts as a go-between, forwarding your requests to Kazaa, then relaying those back to you. The problem becomes, when a lot of people from inside start using the proxy server, the school eventually catches on again (hmmm, 95% of our bandwidth goes to this one address, why is that?) and will eventually block that address too.

Look around the internet for discussion boards devoted to Kazaa and p2p networking, you'll have better luck there, and will often be able to find a list of servers to use.
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

NJTurnpike

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:01 pm

You should also be aware that many universities and corporate environments (mine included) utilize filtering software which block public proxies from being accessed. So if you find one, good luck with continual access. Filtering software such as Websense accepts database updates on a daily basis..what you can get to today may be blocked tomorrow.

tincan

Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:32 am

Try WinMX. I feel that it is a best file sharing program then Kazaa.

VgnAtl747

Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:20 am

WinMX is better than Kazaa, and better than Morpheus ever was.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

Maniac

Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:14 am

I am not sure what your system is, at my school we use a filter that blocks how much bandwidth an individual person can use at any time. This negates the use of a proxy server because the system doesn't care if it comes from kazaa directly or not, It just blocks total bandwidth. (I believe). The way we get around it is by setting up a local server on the INTRA-net of the university. My school doesn't include the intranet in our bandwidth restrictions. Someone in a dorm has a server running WinMX, our school is big enough that I can find just about anything I want. Besides that, the best way to get around a wall is to talk to a student who works for IT. At my school they are very helpful at beating the system.