airportmanager

Montero Vs. Landcruiser

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:42 am

Hey there,

I was just wondering, which car would you people recommend me to buy for off-road and mountain climbing: a Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero (1982-1991) or a Toyota Landcruiser from the same years. I like both cars, and I know both of them are excellent for these purposes: however, I don't have a clear vision on which is better, and essentially, which one is tougher.

I'd like to hear pros and contras for both of those cars, and whatever can help me out of this horrible dilemma. Any website where I can find this information would be good too.

Thanks in advance. Cheers,

Sandro

NWA742

RE: Montero Vs. Landcruiser

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:49 am

To hell with them both, go for a Blazer or Tahoe!  Smile

Anyway, I'm not an expert on those that you mentioned, but I do know that Mitsubishis are complete crap, so I would go for the Landcruiser.

But, you need to consider American SUVs as well........

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

RayChuang

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:12 pm

If you want probably the world's finest SUV, the Toyota Land Cruiser is just about the best.

Bulletproof reliable and very capable off-road, the Land Cruiser is extremely popular in the Middle East, where driving on huge stretches of sandy land is common.

jcs17

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:12 pm

Anything that is over 5 years old and is American sucks...Well, let me take that back all American cars are shoddy, out-of-date, union-made pieces o' crap. Save your self some money, buy a foreign car...If you are going for off-road capabilities I'd say the Montero, although the Landcruiser is quite capable. The Landcruiser is more luxurious and doesnt look as out of date an old Montero.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

NWA742

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:30 pm

Anything that is over 5 years old and is American sucks...Well, let me take that back all American cars are shoddy, out-of-date, union-made pieces o' crap. Save your self some money, buy a foreign car...

OMG........... Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

Explain how American cars are old and out-of-date? Yeah, you tell me where better and newer technology exists in foreign cars than American cars, I'm waiting......

Your profile says you're a teenager, so I'm guessing you're a rice boy.

Perhaps you'd like this:

Laugh out loud

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

desertjets

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:43 pm

For Christ's Sake can't there be any discussion about cars without it boiling down to one brand sucking or American vs. Germany or whatever. The guy asked a question and wants a straight answer.

ANYWAYS... Both the Cruncher and Montero has some serious off-roading creed and heritage in their backgrounds. The Cruncher is notably bigger than the Montero (or the Dodge badged Raider) and would be powered by a straight six... I am not sure of the displacement as it varied over those years. But it is worth noting that that engine can trace its roots to the old Chevy straight six. Pretty reliable engine from what I understand.

The Montero uses the 2.6 liter Mitsu straight four. Basically a long-stroke design aimed at getting the most torque out of a four-banger. This engine was used in everything from Chrysler minivans, K-car derivatives, the Starion and so on. At least in Chrysler applications there were issues with either head gaskets or cylinder rings... generally enough of a problem that the Mopar four-bangers were prefered there. But for an old truck I don't think much of that matters.

There are probably a lot of off-roading enthusiast groups out there that have great websites with tons of info on both trucks.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

khi747

Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:17 pm

I have driven both...both are very common cars specially for off-roading purposes in Pakistan....there is absolutely NO comparison...if off-roading is what matters to you then really there are very few SUVs/Jeeps that even come close to Land Cruiser, let alone the Pajero....also the Land Cruisers that come in MiddleEast/Pakistan have a very nice kit on them....the ones in USA are ugly compared to them...im not exactly sure how they look in Equador....Dont even think about it...there is just noooo comparison.

Greg

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:36 am

No question about it....Landcruiser is far superior. And far more expensive.

DPrush

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:42 am

Land Cruiser
Straight six engine, low end torque, lasts forever, perfect for the low end RPM crawling situation, towing, and keeping the temps down due to low RPMs
Solid Front Axle suspension, allows for more flex, thus keeping all four wheels on the ground in unison for more traction.
It's made by Toyota, which statistically means a higher quality car.
Also, there are far more aftermarket accessories available for the Land Cruisers than the Pajeros.

GD727

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:01 am

I agree with NWA742, I would go for a Tahoe! But if you must have one of these trucks, I would definitely go with the Landcruiser. I know people that hate American cars that say Mitsubishi sucks, they are bottom of the line, you might as well buy a Kia!  Laugh out loud

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

jcs17

Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:54 am

None of the pages at anti-rice.com works, I guess its some of that good old American ingenuity  Smile/happy/getting dizzy. I hardly own a car, I'm at college right now and the car is at home...it is not Japanese or Korean (or American!) though. I cant believe you can actually say the best automotive technology exists in America. If you dont think better technology exists in Japan, you are on crack if you think that German automotive engineering is inferior to the U.S.. Explain to me why Ford was unable to keep up its E.V. program? Honda was, and has E.V.s on the road today. Dude, I wish American cars were good, but the truth is that they are poorly manufactured (by union workers), poorly engineered, and at least 3-5 years behind foreign engineering. Its not that I'm anti-American, I'm just anti-p.o.s.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!