Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Where To Go For University?

Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:39 pm

Hello

in connection with my recent post regarding further studies, i have collected lots of useful information from all users...

and i have chosen to go to either australia or canada... but now i dont know which.. so can some1 tell me which one is better and why?!

help convince me... i am too weak to do that myself.. hehe thanks!

Marco

RE: Where To Go For University?

Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:09 am

McGill in Montreal...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:22 am

I heard of McGill too but can you tell me why McGill and why Montreal? i wanna compare the places thanks

Marco

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:28 am

Why McGill?

Best college town (Princeton review)

The Harvard of Canada (Newsweek rates it as one of the 12 hottest uni's in North America).

Beautiful campus (with lots of greenery) in the middle of downtown. Traditional buildings mixed with skyscrapers.

Very friendly people.

Why montreal?

One of the safest cities in the world.

Very multicultural.

Excellent public transport system.

Arguably, it has the best night life in all of North America. Also it has the highest restaurants per capita after NYC in all of North America.

The highest students per capita in North America.

Beautiful, full of amazing architecture and a beautiful mix of Europe and america.

Hope that helps. I'm in McGill so if you have any questions please ask!

(BTW you'll have so much fun in the orientation week if you do decide to come!)
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:35 am

go to college in the United States!

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:43 am

OK Marco has got some points.. but why USA, TNNH?

desertjets

Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:57 am

Actually I am curious as to why you chose to focus on Cananda and Austrailia. Personally, and I know I said this before but it bears repeating, I think you need to figure out what kind of place you want to live before picking a school. I really think place is a far more important factor, you could be at the greatest school in the world and then just completely hate the weather. Montreal is a lot different from Calgary or Sydney or Perth or Austin. And I think that is really the most important thing.

And not to sound like a jingoistic flag-waver... but by keeping the US an option, you really have choice of hundreds, if not thousands of schools... that maybe the exact one you are looking for.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Rai

Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:53 pm

I went to college in Canada and I would not recommend going to school there. McGill is OK, but overrated as an educational institudtion (I have friends whe graduated from there and my father is an alumnus and a former professor there, so don't believe all the hype). Between your two choices, I would go to Australia. Better weather, friendlier people and better-looking women. I doubt that college standards are much different bwteen Canada and Australia. What really matters is where you plan on settling afterwards.

As for Montreal, as it was mentioned above, it's pretty run-down, but a fun city -- good night life. Horrible weather though, especially in the winter.

AC320

Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:09 pm

I wouldn't call Montreal run-down, nor do I think McGill's reputation is over-hyped, I know quite a few successful alumni and a few students and they love it and say its great, from what I've seen I have to agree with them.
fuddle duddle

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:16 am

I somehow find it that i like Canada more than the US. i dono why... but just wanting ppl to suggest here... where should i go...

Rai

Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:31 am

I somehow find it that i like Canada more than the US. i dono why... but just wanting ppl to suggest here... where should i go...

Have you ever been to Canada or the U.S.?

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:19 am

yes once in a few years like 2-3 years

last visit was July 2002

us330

Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:09 am

Why are you only focusing on Canada and Australia. Why not broaden your search to include Europe and the US? It shouldn't be on as much as the country you are in, but if the school is the right "fit" for you. Hell, it just might turn out there is no school in Canada or Australia that feels like a good fit, so you should always keep an open mind. So remember this: School first, country later, because once you have a narrower list of schools, then you can start checking off the specifics and even visit some of them.

dragogoalie

Sun Sep 29, 2002 10:21 am

Really, it all depends on what you're going to study. And why ignore the rest of the world. Europe and the US have some very good schools that shouldent be ignored.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:11 pm

good points have been raised for me.... i am checkin on some schools at australia at the moment but i will also look in the US. thanks...

but i personally like australia maybe the environment, i do not konw why ... and plus it is closer from home so i can go back whenever there is a long weekend...

i dono, but all suggestions/opinions are welcome

pacificjourney

Sun Sep 29, 2002 6:32 pm

You should take TNNH's advice and go to Uni. in the US !

Maybe his mummy will kick in the cash to cover the ridiculous price as well ?

For an undergraduate degree it really doesn't matter too much where and what you study. For a general degree things are remarkably equal so your decision should really be based on the qualities (price, life-style, weather or what ever is important to you) - or not - of the location itself, not so much the school.

Don't be fooled by what amounts to PR from schools claiming to be better, much of it is hype designed to part you with money unnecessarily. Save the cash for a post-grad degree when where and what you study really matter.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "