caravelle

Why Does America Want To Rule The World?

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:35 am

I don't mind America. I know some nice Americans. But why does America (US part, that is) want to rule the world? In Europe, we don't kind of have this amibtion. You know?

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

sebolino

RE: Why Does America Want To Rule The World?

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:44 am

Because they can do it.
And also because they are grown in the idea that they are THE people elected.

TWFirst

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:46 am

Do you HONESTLY believe that?? If so, please explain why.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

sebolino

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:47 am

Believe what ?

AerLingus

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:50 am

Who said America wants to rule the world? Our president hasn't made such claims (publicly at least) and as far as I know there are no plans in the works for a global take-over.

Give the source of your "facts", please.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

sebolino

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:53 am

I don't want to speak in place of Caravelle, but I guess he wanted to point the fact that the US are seen as a kind of world police.
Not especially about what's happening these days, but that's a more general feeling since WW2.

caravelle

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:55 am

AerLingus... Read your papers, will you?

- caravelle

david b.

Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:57 am

Thats his personal opinion.  Innocent Thats the way he feels............. Smokin cool

America Want To Rule The World except for Israel and Saudi Arabia...........they rule us with their powerful fearless lobbies and their slick shinny black oil  Nuts

Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

AerLingus

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:01 am

Checked out today's SF Chronicle. Nope. No "US DECLARES WAR ON WORLD" headline.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

flight152

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:05 am

Caravelle

Why don't you explain yourself a little bit. This is quite intresting, I read the newspaper everyday and I have yet to read about a world takeover.

What are they printing in those forgin newspapers?

kaitakfan

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:08 am

World police... yeah I can see that. You know why that is? Because there are not that many other nations who have the backbone, nor the resources to take care of the problems in the world. Our countries intentions mean well, however sometimes things dont go according to plan. Everyone makes mistakes, even countries! With that, I must say atleast we try to do things to better the world in some regards when other countries sit back and laugh when we fail and turn a cheek when we triumph.

It has been said before many times. What would the world turn to be if the USA isolated ourselfs and let the rest of the world go about its ways. Pretty interesting notion when you really think about that! I see it that the world loves Americans at the same time they Hate us. If they hate us, I say good for you, it doesnt bother me one bit... because I am living a better, happier, well educated, enjoyable life then many ever will!

mbmbos

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:10 am

Take a look at the "Defense Planning Guide for the 2004-2009 Fiscal Years", which was penned by Rumsefeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, and Powell. I believe the plan refers to "global dominance."

It's downright chilling.

But to respond to your question more directly, I don't think that Americans really want to rule the world inasmuch as they just want quick, simple solutions to world problems.

Americans perceive themselves as being decent, moral people with a can-do spirit borne from their prairie days. Please bear in mind that there are some very positive aspects to these characteristics. When the going has been tough, Americans have rolled up their sleeves and have succeeded against the odds. At times, Americans have been very generous in their support of other countries. Please don't forget this!

On the other hand, I don't think that Americans have the cultural depth to utilize introspection and analysis to assess their situation, and to solve their problems. They're very prone to populism. Simple, shoot-from-the hip answers to life's problems.

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:15 am

America wants to maintain its position as the world's sole superpower. Sounds sensible enough to me.......I'd rather have America at the top, than anyone else (ok, having the Dutch in charge would be quite cool, but it won't happen).

For those who really don't like it: it won't last forever, but you probably won't outlive it.

Empires come, empires go. That's life. Ask Marx, he'll tell you.

david b.

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:18 am

Gee....cap, since your british, wouldn't you rather have the UK at the top?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

caravelle

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:20 am

The point I was trying to make here - indeed, the question I was trying to ask was, why does America want to rule the world. The US has no right to, and should never be allowed to act on behalf of all mankind, as some of their politicians want to.
To me, at least, it seems America (US) has dreams far beyond what the country can possibly achieve.Captitaism will never be perfect. In addition, they are not willing to address the question of the poor (have you seen the trailer parks and the camps?), have you seen the bag ladies in NY? Who are they to teach us?

- caravelle

sebolino

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:22 am

Well said Captain !!
That's exactly my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised in 1 or 2 centuries (if I could) to see the United States of Europe dominating. Or perhaps the United States of Africa (in 10 centuries).

caravelle

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:28 am

Some books have been mentioned here. If anyone has the time, or the will, try Body of Secrets (How America's NSA and Britain's GCQH eavesdrop on The World). Written by James Bamford (goes to show that - even in America - you can put a good man down). Published by Arrow. Highly recommended. The chapter on Cuba is chilling.

- caravelle

McRingRing

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:40 am

No, I don't think that fits into the equation. I appreciate the attempted insult though.  Big thumbs up

But I do know some nice stupid people...
B==============) ~~~~

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:45 am

Look, this thread is going to go downhill very quickly if we're not careful.

My explanation isn't an excuse for the way things are: it's just a realistic impression of the world, according to my mind.

I'm a bit of a defeatist I suppose. If it's quite clear that the status quo cannot be changed, I don't see much point in shouting about it. Maybe I'm lazy, or grossly negligent.

To me, such questions sound like: Why does the sun think it has the right to burn? Well, cause it does, and we can't really do much about it.

It's the 'if you can't beat'em, join'em! philosophy.

Maybe I'm an idiot with no ambition. Maybe someone should try to answer Caravelle's question properly, instead of pathetic rantings such as 'oh, you can't do anything about it' (i.e. me). Who knows.

I guess I just don't care that much. In the end, everything tends to balance out, or reach an equitable equilibrium....America will reach a certain climatic point in supremacy, and....just as has happened many times before....it will fall, and be replaced.

To the guy who asked why I didn't think the Brits should be in charge........because the Dutch have the best attributes of the British (sensible, calm) but without the pomposity!  Laugh out loud

FutureSQPilot

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:51 am

Kaitakfan- thank you and well said.

Caravelle-Funny how you just come out and declare that the US wants to rule the world...can we see some proof?

Let's look at an example of an empire that actually did want to rule the world, Rome. They took their legions and invaded countries for the sole purpose of taking that country as their own. When the Romans had won the war in that country, they would institute their own government there. They didn't sign treaties and help that country to rebuild under their own government.

KROC

Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:56 am

The point I was trying to make here - indeed, the question I was trying to ask was, why does America want to rule the world. The US has no right to, and should never be allowed to act on behalf of all mankind, as some of their politicians want to.

LMAO! It's funny, and I hate to do it, but I have to reset this yet again. If America keeps to itself, and only worries about it's own problems, the rest of the world looks at us as greedy, selfish, only care about us people. If we get involved in World Affairs, then we are bullies, interfearing, and pushing people around. It's a no win situation. Why is America the World's Policemen? Because there is nobody else that can do it, thats why. And what about all the countries that ASK the U.S. to interfear. And on top of that, what about the countries that ask the U.S. for help, then stab us in the backs later on down the road?

America, it's leaders, it's people, nobody wants to "Rule the World". We are hoever, interested in our interests, and the safety of people all over the world. You need to learn the difference, and not just blindly hate for no reason.

cfalk

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:03 am

Caravelle,

don't mind America. I know some nice Americans. But why does America (US part, that is) want to rule the world? In Europe, we don't kind of have this amibtion. You know?

First of all, Europe DID have that ambition, and acted on it. England, France, Spain, and others were all empires, with holdings all over the world. They lost them all not out of their good will, but because they were pried away by war and bankruptcy. So you can take your holier-than-thou self-sanctimoniousness and shove it where the sun does not shine.

Now that that little bit is cleared up, on to the next.

First of all, America is a strange country. It is very much a democracy, and is governed according to the will of the people. And the American people's opinions can change in a heartbeat. In fact they tend to change their minds faster in response to events than the people in most other parts of the world, who tend to stick to their positions (often ideological) longer. That's my observation.

Secondly, you should understand that by its very nature, the U.S. is actually isolationist. This has been proven in its history, and only recently did it realize that isolation did not prevent them from getting dragged into two world wars.

Throughout the 19th century, the U.S. stayed on its own. It basically got dragged kicking and screaming into WWI. So sickened was the U.S. after that with EUROPEAN wars of conquest, that they swore off foreign involvement again by refusing to join the League of Nations.

When EUROPE started acting up again (Japan too) and kicked off WWII, the American people did not want to get involved. In June of 1941, when Hitler was at the height of his power, 82% of Americans were against getting into the war. Then Pearl Harbor happened, Hitler declared war on the U.S. (the stupid twit - the Americans declared only war against Japan on December 8th, 1941, not Germany), and that made American opinions swing 100% in the matter of a couple of days.

After WWII, Americans finally understood that sitting at home and minding your own business is absolutely no guarantee of not being drawn into conflict, and would in fact ensure that the U.S. would get dragged in only at the point where the conflagration has already attained global proportions. Thus was started the United Nations, and Americans decided that the U.S. would regularly become involved in world affairs, with the goal of facing threats before they became another world war.

So the idea of getting actively involved around the world, putting out brush fires and Hitler-wannabees like Saddam is based on a solid history of having tried the alternatives and having been burned badly by them.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

caravelle

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:11 am

Charles,
you're riding wooden horses here, and writing about subjects I never intended to raise or be part of this thread. Why, I wonder?
It's a bit boring.

- caravelle

GDB

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:11 am

We had our time at the top, it can get to be a pain in the arse.

It was all fine and dandy, (though most overseas subjects of the Empire might not have agreed), until the 20th Century, then you had economically ruinous Naval arms races with wannabee imperial upstarts like Germany, then WW1.

Worse, WW2, nearly went under then, and all those military resources and planning for outside of Europe was nearly our undoing, then the Far East defences are weakened to defend the homeland, so the Japs roll in with embarrassing ease.

During all this time, the accumulated wealth of over a century ends up in Washington buying arms. Ironic that, since losing the American colonies in 1776 probably delayed the inevitable imperial overstretch by a 100 years.

But for a more modern parallel, the worst 'blowback' from international interventions for the British Empire was probably the assassination in London of a former British Administrator in India in 1940, for his mis-deeds in India 20 years before, (not counting Irish terrorism, since the UK's entanglement there long predates what we understand as the period of Empire).

But today, the technology allows a bunch of fanatics pissed with America to pull off September 11th.

So being the pre-eminent power has it's drawbacks, more so than ever before.

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:17 am

Excellent post Charles I agree with everything you said, and yet when I open your profile, I'm shocked when I see Switzerland for your location  Smile

So the idea of getting actively involved around the world, putting out brush fires and Hitler-wannabees like Saddam is based on a solid history of having tried the alternatives and having been burned badly by them.

I just wish some people on this board would get this through their minds.

N312RC

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:19 am

You people must remember that America is 280 million people. We're a melting pot of several hundred cultures. There usually (more like always) is NEVER a single opinion or approach in this country, on ANYTHING.

Frankly, I think most Americans dont give a rats rear end about foreign policy. They just want to have nice vacations in Paris.  Big grin

Oh, and one more thing (now Im rambling)... I watched a bit of the Labour Party conference on TV. Blair is a good guy, he should be getting more support. There's people in his own party who dont agree with him, including this one MP who used this "Oh think of the children!!" speech to show her disagreement with Iraq war plans......... Of course she convienently forgot about how Saddam the butcher has killed more children and other civilians than a war ever would (or ever has).
N/A

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:24 am

Caravelle wrote:

>>"Charles,
you're riding wooden horses here, and writing about subjects I never intended to raise or be part of this thread. Why, I wonder?"

I disagree with Cfalk on a number of issues, but in this case he provided some intelligent evidence that Americans are not, as you suggest, obsessed about "ruling the world." There was nothing off-topic about his post, and it was certainly more thought-provoking than your original post.

You may disagree with current US foreign policy -- fine; many Americans feel the same way! But why don't you post some arguments to support your position on specific issues, instead of coming up with simplistic and overly-emotional posts that probably won't result in a quality debate?

cfalk

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:25 am

National_757,

I am Swiss, but used to live in the U.S. for some years. I also believe that I paid a bit more attention to my history classes than most people.

Charles

KROC

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:39 am

Charles. Very well said post. And the fact that Caravelle tried to blow it off, kills any shred of credibility he may have been carrying.

Sean-SAN-

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:41 am

I've always pondered the idea of taking over Mexico and Canada. We could crush their defenses in about half an hour, and we could effectively use Mexico for labor and oil, and Canada can just be a nice trophy. Seriously.

-Sean

N312RC

Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:51 am

If we took Canada we'd have the British Army trying to burn down Washington DC.. all over again!

If we took Quebec we'd have the French Army burning down all the McDonalds in the US..
N/A

Rai

Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:15 am

In addition, they are not willing to address the question of the poor (have you seen the trailer parks and the camps?), have you seen the bag ladies in NY? Who are they to teach us?

Ummm...excuse me? And who are YOU to criticize us? I've been to Scandinavia before. I've seen "bag ladies" on your city streets too. Have you even been to Satra? It's a suburb of Stockholm (and yes, I know you live in Norway, but the two countries are quite similar), in case you didn't know. The apartment blocks in that neighborhood make those in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx look like luxury condos. It's no joke. So, before you go gallivanting and criticizing others, go fix up your "perfect" socialist system. Once you that's all said and done with, maybe then -- and I emphasize MAYBE -- will you have some right to criticize. Until then, keep quiet.

Charles, that was an outstanding post. I could not have said it better myself.

Anyways, back to the original post. Considering the information in Caravelle’s profile, I’m surprised he’d post such immature, stupid garbage like this. After all, he’s over 45 years old and an is editor (I’m assuming for a newspaper or some sort of publication). Based on that, one would assume that he’d have some shred of knowledge of world events or that he’d be at least open-minded to all points of view. This post proves he has no the knowledge of world events nor the maturity to make sound judgments. This thread would be akin to me asking:

Why don’t Europeans bathe regularly?
Why are French arrogant?
Why do the British have bad teeth?
Why do Indians eat curry?
Why are Australians alcoholics?
Why are Scandinavian women sluts?
Why do Blacks have big lips?
Why do Chinese have slanted eyes?

You get my point? Stupid questions, yes, but just as intelligent as the idiocy of this topic.

KRIC777

Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:37 am

I don't think that America wants to rule the world.
I will certainly admit, however, that US foreign policy is driven by self interest...but please name for me a country whose foreign policy is NOT driven by self-interest. Nations pursue policies that will (at least indirectly) benefit themselves first and foremost. Advancing and protecting the interests of the mother country is the job of a foreign ministry. And let's remember that not taking a stance is the best thing that many countries can do for themselves...so they do, out of SELF-INTEREST, not out of some high-minded, progressive aversion to "interfering". The European countries that formed the EU did so because they felt that THEY would be better off as a result, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The USA is constantly slammed for acting in it's own interest, but I don't think it is any more inclined to do so than any other country, but it does have (for better or worse) a unique capacity to execute it's foreign policy. I cannot and will not defend everything that my country has done over the years, but I don't think it is much, if at all, worse than anything that any other country would do if it was the sole economic/military superpower in the world. Consider this: What would the state of the world be today if the Peoples Republic of China (with it's current government) was in the same position that the USA is now?

b757300

Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:25 am

I can't believe anyone is naive enough to even ask this kind of question. If the United States wanted to take over the world, we would have done it in 1945 when we had the largest navy & air force and second largest army. Plus we were the only nation with nuclear weapons.

I'm still trying to decide if the starting of this thread was trying to be funny, start a flame war, or really believes such dribble.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Leftypilot79

Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:20 am

Wow...Charles. That was truly a great post. It made me think. It shows we here in the US aren't just a bunch of selfish 3yr olds wanting to take over the sandbox. LOL.  Wink/being sarcastic I agree with KROC on this....Caravell lost all his credibility when he tried to blow your post off. If some people would read alittle bit...it would make all the difference.  Smile

aaron

lubcha132

Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:23 am

but if its a pro-american post, it goes down hard and fast.

hkgspotter1

Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:27 am

They are world's police and in the case of Iraq all they want is to put a person of their choice in control of the country and the O I L.

neednewairport

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:13 am

First off, no one said we wanted to rule the world.

Secondly, we are the richest, most powerful nation on the planet. We are the only ones with the resources, dedication and power to even think we could act as the global police.

I am an American, I do not always agree with my government or the actions of those who claim to be an American but here are a few facts:

1. We and we alone rebuilt Europe and Japan after WWII. Without us they would still be trying to put their ravaged nation's back together.

2. Our farmers can and in some cases do feed the world. Food is power.

3. Our research and development which has yield us the many technologies that power the modern world allow us power. (I am well aware that many advances are made elsewhere just pointing out a fact).

4. We are a nation built of immigrants (the people no other nation wanted), deep down when we hear their is trouble in our ancestors home land, we want to help.

5. We care, we care a lot, about a lot of people. Our methods may not always show this but we could easily turn our head to a lot more than we already do. However, we know we need the cheap labor of the world to keep running.

6. Interestingly, a lot of nations hate us, they are jealous. Very interesting that they bad mouth us but as soon as we wave our almighty dollar they beg like dogs.

America is an interesting place. I think we get more of a bad rep than we deserve. I have traveled all over the world, I have found some mighty great places, but nothing is better than walking onto US soil again, there is no place like home.

KAUSpilot

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:16 am

I'm afraid oil is not the reason hkgspotter. 911 has proven that we cannot sit back and wait for an attack to hit us before we take measures to protect ourselves from terroristic acts of violence. If Saddam allows UN inspectors to carry out their duty throughout his ENITIRE country or steps down and accepts exile war may be averted. Until then, the threat of military force is at the very least necessary as a persuasive tool, and if Saddam does not ultimately comply with UN and US demands he should expect to be attacked. The current UN resolutions continue to allow Saddam to have "a few square miles" here and there which cannot be inspected. This is unacceptable. How many thermonuclear warhead or refrigerators full of the plague can you hide in a square mile? A preemptive strike on Iraq is justified and necessary. Try looking at it from our perspective for once.

N766UA

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:18 am

Haha. Yeah. If we wanted to rule the world, we'd have done it by now. Trust me.
This Website Censors Me

N312RC

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:19 am

Ok,

US foreign policy is driven by self-interests.... DUH..

Isnt that the way it should be?

Just dare tell me that EU/All EU nations foreign policy isnt driven by self-interests... puh-leeze. Act like you're all innocent, but you know you arent.

HKGSpotter1 I think your mom dropped you on your head when you were a child.

Did we take over Iraq in Desert Storm? We could have, did we? Nope.

Schwartzkopf could have ran right into Bahgdad and taken the country. Did he? Nope.

In 1945 did we take over Western Europe like the Soviets took Eastern Europe? Nope.

Did we take Japan? Nope.

Did we take Korea? Nope.

The only thing America ever conquered was its own Western Frontier and the Hawaiian Islands.

You give me this "America wants to take over the world" jargon but we've never taken anything. This is the exact opposite of Europe, who wanted to conquer and colonize everything it got its hands on.

We buy our Oil outright from Arab nations... Thats why theyve got oodles of cash.

I cant believe you have the balls to be saying this kind of stuff after all the US has done for you. US soldiers fought and died in Europe so the French could be rude to us and tell us how much better they are than us?

Go take a day-trip to Normandy, then come back and tell me America is the great satan.

Europe didnt get it back in the 40's, they still dont get it now. Go ahead and ignore whatever Hitler's doing, appease him, let him do whatever he wants, and he'll eventually overrun you. Same with Saddam.

N/A

Rai

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:40 am

We buy our Oil outright from Arab nations... Thats why theyve got oodles of cash.

This is not correct. Only 30% of U.S. imported oil comes from the Middle East.

CB777

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:46 am

well said Charles and neednewairport I agree with both of you 100%. I am PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!

CB777

Alpha 1

Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:51 am

I must commend most of the members on this debate, no matter which side, for such a civil discussion on such an idiotic topic. But I do not want to send this into a flame war, but I would like to add a few points.

The U.S. has never been an imperialistic power in the sense that it seeks to conquer other territories. The last territories the U.S. "conquered" were the Philippines and Cuba in the Spanish-American War in 1898. And, having said that, let's look at a few things to back that up.

1. At the end of World War II, did the U.S. step into rule Western Europe, the way the Soviet did Eastern Europe? The U.S. truly could have. They would have had no opposition to speak of. They could have very easily set up puppet government like the U.S.S.R. did in Poland, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, East Germany, etc, ruled with an Iron hand from Moscow. But the U.S. didn't. They instead spend a few billion to rebuild Western Europe, helped an old enemy, Germany, get on it's feet, and then pulled the majority of their troops out and let Western Europe seek it's own path.

2. If the U.S. wanted to "rule the world", then why, after Japan surrendered in 1945, did the U.S. help rebuild Japan-let their Emporer stay, then let Japan form it's own postwar government? What would have prevented the U.S. from taking over Japan the way Russian and China took control of North Korea? Nothing whatsoever. Japan lay in ruins. But instead of conquering and subjugating, the U.S. helped Japan restore itself in an honorable way, and it remains a great independend nation to this day.

3. What would have kept the U.S. from occupying Iraq, Kuwait, and even Saudi Arabia following the Gulf War? They could have, if we truly wanted to "rule the world". But instead, we did what we were asked to do, and then left for the most part. Just think, all this current tension with Saudi Arabia could be gone had the U.S. just taken over, as it could have, and would have a base of incredible proportion to launch attacks on Iraq and Iran, if we so chose. But we didn't. Despite our differences with the House of Saud, we let them stay their own course.

4. If we really wanted to "rule the world", would we have left the Philippines after they took a vote and asked us to close our military bases there? Do you think the Soviet Union would have ever stood for that from one of their allies? Hell no-they would have marched in and crushed the goverment of that country and made their will law. But the U.S. didn't do that, did we? We closed our bases, and left the keys to the Philippines to do as they wished, not as we might have wished.

This talk of the U.S. ruling the world is just so stupid, I'm sorry to say. I don't think the U.S., even with all of it's military, economic and political power could actually rule the world. The world is too big a place to be ruled by one nation, even the size of a China. It's physically impossible. Does that mean the U.S. doesn't want to remain the Superpower. No, it doesn't mean that. To the contrary. The U.S., and many of it's people and friends around the world, believe that the U.S. is the best guarantor to as stable a world as is possible. To have the U.S. completely detatch itself from the world, would be an utter catastrophe for many quarters of the globe, despite the naive on this forum and in the world who believe otherwise.

As I've always said, if you're looking for perfection, don't look to the U.S., because we're far from it. But the U.S. is one of the few stabalizing influences in a world that is beset by global tensions. To honestly believe the U.S. wants to conquer and rule the world is absurd, and our history speaks to just the opposite. Do we want to foster democracy? Absolutely. Do we want to have influence in the world that is equal to our status as the one great power? Absolutely. But not even the big, bad, mighty United States can rule the world. If we ever have any nation suceed in that goal, it will be a dark day for the planet.

jcs17

Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:33 pm

N312RC...couldnt have said it better myself, however I am too tired to type something that long...nice job.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Fri Oct 04, 2002 1:59 pm

He said RULE the world, not CONQUER the world. How did you get off onto that tangent?

VH-ADG

cfalk

Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:34 pm

Interesting comment, ADG. If you can't win the arguement, then split hairs, hmmm?

Charles

maiznblu_757

Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:36 pm

We surrender.

Signed,
France

L-188

Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:46 pm

Too bad because you are the ones that wrote those two posts N312RC and Alpha1, some people will not read those excellent posts or will discount them.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Alpha 1

Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:10 pm

ADG, here's the definition of both, Mrs. Hair-splitter:

Main Entry: [2]rule
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ruled; rul·ing
Date: 13th century
transitive senses
1 a : to exert control, direction, or influence on b : to exercise control over especially by curbing or restraining
2 a : to exercise authority or power over often harshly or arbitrarily b : to be preeminent in : DOMINATE
3 : to determine and declare authoritatively; especially : to command or determine judicially
4 a (1) : to mark with lines drawn along or as if along the straight edge of a ruler (2) : to mark (a line) on a paper with a ruler b : to arrange in a line
intransitive senses
1 a : to exercise supreme authority b : to be first in importance or prominence : PREDOMINATE

Main Entry: con·quer
Pronunciation: 'kä[ng]-k&r
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): con·quered; con·quer·ing /-k(&-)ri[ng]/
Etymology: Middle English, to acquire, conquer, from Old French conquerre, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin conquaerere, alteration of Latin conquirere to search for, collect, from com- + quaerere to ask, search
Date: 14th century
transitive senses
1 : to gain or acquire by force of arms : SUBJUGATE
2 : to overcome by force of arms : VANQUISH

They pretty much go hand in hand when talking about dominating other peoples, ADG.

And the U.S. does neither. But, as usual, you run to the aid of anyone critisizing the U.S., like the predictable person you are.